Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

On slightly related news the battleship Texas has been closed for a few days due to her gaining a 6 degree list to the starboard side but she should be Visitable again soon

She's already re-opened, and the hole has been patched.

As I understand, necessary structural work for permanent drydocking continues.

Also, hooray for the history lesson from Sky!

Last edited:
Would Thompson by change, know of a few oil fields from a more modern time, that where unknown back then?
Because that could help.
As could a few fast BB's, if only so their AA could cover the carriers.

I do hope he can get a more modern deck layout, pushed true.
Should help with carrier operations.

I dunno if angle-decks will be that useful right now. If you have to spot massive strikes anyway (and don't need the 'cat) it won't be as big of a boon as you might think.

Would Thompson by change, know of a few oil fields from a more modern time, that where unknown back then?
Because that could help.
As could a few fast BB's, if only so their AA could cover the carriers.
Fast BBs are coming as fast as the US can build them. And the US knowing more oil fields won't help; the US produces plenty of crude at this point in history, and the problem is oilers, not oil, which are also coming online as fast as possible.

Also, hello again, Vianca.

Last edited:
Because that could help.
Knowing where oil fields are probably won't help in this case: they're likely to all be in areas that the Japanese are going to be in control, or not exploitable with early-mid-20th Century tech. And then there's the problem that oil fields take time to exploit, which the USA probably doesn't have.

And even if they had more oil, that still doesn't solve the problem of not enough oilers to transport and deliver the oil.

EDIT: Sendai'd.

Not to mention having enough oilers that are fast enough to resupply the carriers is another problem. And, if the IJN has a sudden strike of the strategic smarts, the number one target of the Pearl Harbor attack will be the fuel depots and storage tanks. Take out the gas and all those Standards are going nowhere period. You don't even have to sink them then.

Don't the angled decks also let the carrier do launch and recovery simultaneously? I mean, you COULD do it with launch at the bow and recovery at the stern, but that's risking having a damaged plane or one that just has a bad approach due to weather or to combat jitters piling into your launch area instead of being able to keep going off the side.

At any rate, I've been pushing very hard to show our time traveling American is most assuredly not a historian or a perfect font of knowledge. I've been trying to keep what he knows as stuff that is fairly logical for a naval officer to know. Thach Weave? Simple. Torpedoes suck? Simple. Knowing where oil fields are? Eeeeehhhh. Maybe in a general 'there's a lot of oil in those sand dunes' for the Middle East.

Angled flight decks are necessary because of the high standard speed of jet aircraft, in order to allow for "touch and go" landing abortion.
Angled decks allow for landing operations at the same time as launch operations, provided you don't need the whole deck to spot a large strike force. You also don't have to move all planes on deck in front of the barrier (when landing) or behind the barrier (when spotting).

It also makes landings much safer; the plane can miss the wire and not crash into the barrier, through the barrier into the parked aircraft, or into the island.

Angled decks allow for landing operations at the same time as launch operations, provided you don't need the whole deck to spot a large strike force. You also don't have to move all planes on deck in front of the barrier (when landing) or behind the barrier (when spotting).

It also makes landings much safer; the plane can miss the wire and not crash into the barrier, through the barrier into the parked aircraft, or into the island.

True, I'm oversimplifying. That said, with propellor aircraft, speeds are low enough that axial deck is reasonably safe, and trying to push for angled decks on the Essex girls is a good way to introduce delays in the shipbuilding process, which we really don't need. The USN needs a whole lot of good carriers now a lot more than the USN needs the same carriers, with a somewhat better design, several months to a year, possibly more, later.

A bit late for this though, since the Essex-class design has been finalized.

You know what would be a hilarious crack idea?

The USN taking a team of Japanese Americans from the Internment camps with the intention of using them as spies/sabotours/commandos against Imperial Japan for the purposes of causing mayhem or sabotaging the war effort.

The team upon getting dropped off in Japan manage to find Yamato while she's moored up in Kure.

Well, the mission was to cause mayhem, what better way to mess with the IJN than to steal their prized warship? It's not like it's doing much of anything anyways.

-SK

Last edited:
You know what would be a hilarious crack idea?

The USN taking a team of Japanese Americans from the Internment camps with the intention of using them as spies/sabotours/commandos against Imperial Japan for the purposes of causing mayhem or sabotaging the war effort.

The team upon getting dropped off in Japan manage to find Yamato while she's moored up in Kure.

Well, the mission was to cause mayhem, what better way to mess with the IJN than to steal their prized warship? It's not like it's doing much of anything anyways.

-SK
I doubt they'll find enough Japanese-Americans who can operate advanced steam boilers and turbines. Shit's not easy.

Well, the pic was posted uncaptioned in the Images thread by @Exterminatus. I saw it, took it, went to an online meme generator, and added the text, trying to get to the point, and being cutely polite as Sara should be. Which is not as easy as it sounds, as I rarely do polite, and definitely never do cute.

Seeing Sky only had one pic for trying to keep matters on topic, I thought he'd appreciate one about dropping a particular discussion entirely.

True, I'm oversimplifying. That said, with propellor aircraft, speeds are low enough that axial deck is reasonably safe, and trying to push for angled decks on the Essex girls is a good way to introduce delays in the shipbuilding process, which we really don't need. The USN needs a whole lot of good carriers now a lot more than the USN needs the same carriers, with a somewhat better design, several months to a year, possibly more, later.
I think we hashed this out once before, but I'd say this--if Thompson suggests the angled deck as a way to improve safety (which is the reason the Brits came up with it before they started jet carrier ops), while it's a relatively minor change, there would end up being three different Essex classes instead of the historical two:

A) As-designed Essex class. Several of the ones already ordered would probably be too far advanced for any real changes. These roughly correspond with the "short-hull" Essexes OTL, covering CV-9 through CV-13.
B) Semi-angled Essex class. Ships coming down the line later than that initial batch could be given a somewhat experimental modification that requires very, very little actual physical alteration to the ship. Basically, by skewing the wires across the deck (possibly using the passthroughs for separate wires?) and painting the deck differently, as the Brits did on their Centaur-class carriers, you can gain some of the benefits of an angled deck without actually physically modifying the hull structure. These roughly correspond to the initial-order members of the "long-hull" variant OTL, covering CV-14 through CV-19.
C) True angled Essex class. These would have the full angled deck of the SCB-125 upgrade from the yards, and would be the ones ordered after this point, CV-21 and -22 plus CV-31 through CV-40 and CV-45 through CV-47. This might delay their delivery by six to twelve months, and CV-21 and -22 might be ordered to the semi-angled design to save time as a result.

Given that only two of the ones ordered after Pearl Harbor (which covers all of group C) were in service by the end of the war OTL, this would result in no real loss of force for the USN in wartime, and would gain the benefits of the AFD very quickly postwar.

Uh... Sky did say that there aren't any Japanese time travellers right?
At least, none revealed. The possibility exists, sure, but I think Sky's not throwing one back because for a JMSDF Admiral, he's basically faced with a lose-lose situation, doubly so if he had the attention of Kongou before :V

For crack involving Yamato, I would love to see the Standards come up on Yamato as a total surprise to both and have them duke it out. Not sure how all would fair, but I know that the Standards would have to get closer then they like to pierce her deck. Add insult to injury in that, not only would Yamato be an over-priced boondoggle, she would also have been taken out by ships ~2 decades her senior.

Of course, there are many reasons this wouldn't work, but at least (in this scenario) the Standards would have proven their worth.

For crack involving Yamato, I would love to see the Standards come up on Yamato as a total surprise to both and have them duke it out. Not sure how all would fair, but I know that the Standards would have to get closer then they like to pierce her deck. Add insult to injury in that, not only would Yamato be an over-priced boondoggle, she would also have been taken out by ships ~2 decades her senior.

Of course, there are many reasons this wouldn't work, but at least (in this scenario) the Standards would have proven their worth.
Welll... Yams hit a tin-can three times and didn't stop her, so her record is already pretty shit.

Well, 14in/45 on most of the Standards? Navweps had the maximum range at 36,300 yards would penetrate 8 in of deck armor. Wikipedia said Yamato had between 7.9 - 8.9 inches of deck armor. The Colorado could get through that though...

Back