Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Would stripping Ari's wreck really be such a bad thing? She--or at least some part of her--gets to continue the fight she was built for. Though she dies, she lives in fire and steel.

Would stripping Ari's wreck really be such a bad thing? She--or at least some part of her--gets to continue the fight she was built for. Though she dies, she lives in fire and steel.
If widespread public recognition and acceptance of ship spirits becomes a thing at some point, they could sign statements saying that salvage of any viable gear/weapons if they are sunk in battle is fine by them.

If widespread public recognition and acceptance of ship spirits becomes a thing at some point, they could sign statements saying that salvage of any viable gear/weapons if they are sunk in battle is fine by them.
A kind of last will and testament, if you will.
Which begs the question, at what point would ships stop being government property?
Probably at the moment of decommissioning is what I can see the government doing. It could be the equivalent of a discharge or retirement.

Ya know, pinning up from the UN bit, what would be the placed dollar value on the life of a kanmusu?
Because the UN actually does have a number to human life. Around 8 million, I believe.
Probably a redundant and weird question, but the whole "government property shtick" got me thinking.
...I shouldn't think, should I?

Ya know, pinning up from the UN bit, what would be the placed dollar value on the life of a kanmusu?
Because the UN actually does have a number to human life. Around 8 million, I believe.
Probably a redundant and weird question, but the whole "government property shtick" got me thinking.
...I shouldn't think, should I?
In the Human's case, it's how much it costs to train, feed, clothe, and equip. It might be the same here. Other ideas?

I feel bad for any "discharged" ship spirit who still has her hull. How the hell is a private citizen supposed to support so much as docking fees to stay tied up rusting in place, let alone a crew to actually maintain and operate her? What could she do, assuming her weapons were removed or destroyed in place as part of demilitirization and/or she wasn't willing to become a most troublingly well equipped mercenary?

I feel bad for any "discharged" ship spirit who still has her hull. How the hell is a private citizen supposed to support so much as docking fees to stay tied up rusting in place, let alone a crew to actually maintain and operate her? What could she do, assuming her weapons were removed or destroyed in place as part of demilitirization and/or she wasn't willing to become a most troublingly well equipped mercenary?
The best retirement plan in the history of the world.

I expect her previous crew would be quite eager to stay with her, assuming they can get discharged at the same time.

as for jobs... I guess we get a lot of over qualified freighters and liners?

Or, the greatest fire fighters in history. They would also make fantastic explorers, i.e. subs.

Or, upon decommissioning, the ship girl finds out she class leave the ship.

Come on, I need something encouraging!

no more so than organ donation, I would think. Scrapping and salvage happens when you can't repair a ship, and in wartime, there would be triage for anything that limped back to port. Ships you can repair now, ships you can mothball and work on as time allows, and ships that are floating bins of spare parts.

Even today, refloating ships is hard.
Sure. But again perception of desecrating the dead could still be there despite said arguments.

I personally don't see an issue with this. Just pointing out the perception. I mean, the shipgirl body is but the soul of the ship metal body and when it gets hurt, so does the shipgirl body. Ergo, taking off armor and guns after shipdeath can be seen as the equivalent of tearing of the skin and arms of human soldiers who have died in the call of duty by the very people who sent them to their deaths.

Lynching and riot fuel ahoy.

I personally don't see an issue with this. Just pointing out the perception. I mean, the shipgirl body is but the soul of the ship metal body and when it gets hurt, so does the shipgirl body. Ergo, taking off armor and guns after shipdeath can be seen as the equivalent of tearing of the skin and arms of human soldiers who have died in the call of duty by the very people who sent them to their deaths.

Exactly I agree there, however what will the general reaction be, if the USN does what they did to Cassin and Downes? As in, if they get utterly destroyed, but their machinery is still usable, where they took the machinery and sent it back to the states, and built new ships around that machinery, then naming the ships the same name and giving them the same number that they had before they got decimated. I mean, I understand it was a publicity stunt, but how will the other ship spirits see it as? Not to mention would the spirit of the ship that it happens too, would she come back different after being re-built or would she remain the same in terms of personalilty?

Or, upon decommissioning, the ship girl finds out she class leave the ship.
I'm guessing you meant "can leave" there?
But really, I like this! And then, once the hull is scrapped or expended as a target or whatever, she discovers the ability to manifest the KanColle-style rigging...

Know what?

I didn't feel anything. Call me heartless, but that particular sob story didn't really set my emotions off. Birds fly, fish swim, and brother, DDs sink. An overly emotional Italian engineer isn't going to change that for me.

Know what?

I didn't feel anything. Call me heartless, but that particular sob story didn't really set my emotions off. Birds fly, fish swim, and brother, DDs sink. An overly emotional Italian engineer isn't going to change that for me.
Can agree. Sad for the shipgirl but i'm not going oh the feels!! stuff.

Its war. What does anyone expect? You don't want grimderp, don;t read war stories. simple.

*shrug*

People have different reactions to stuff, nothing new. Not like I could have killed off a battleship or something without really twisting history and the only main ship girl character remotely at threat right now is (soon-to-be) Bisko/Blucher. Could have been mean and used Zara or Pola I guess, for more emotional investment on the part of the ship girl.

But when I stumble across the fact that a ship that shares the name of a WW2 vessel was sunk by cruisers in WW1 by accident (me finding it that is, not the sinking), it gives more room for having a member of her crew show the attachment.

I do object to the grimderp comment though.

Can agree. Sad for the shipgirl but i'm not going oh the feels!! stuff.

Its war. What does anyone expect? You don't want grimderp, don;t read war stories. simple.

War is a tragedy. It is expected for people to die in it, yes; that does not make the deaths somehow less tragic. You are entitled to not be upset at a tragedy, of course, I do not presume to dictate your emotions to you; but kindly do not belittle those who do find the events of a tragedy sorrowful.

I also take issue with your conflagration of "war stories" and "grimderp". Something that is "grimderp" is dark and depressing unendingly and without reason, to the point of becoming parody. "War stories" can include anything from triumphant and valiant acts, to quiet moments of unexpected calmness and compassion, just to start with. Further, regarding war stories that fall under the umbrella of tragedy, as this section does and as I assume you mean when you refer to war stories in your own post, these stories differ from "grimderp" because there is a logical reason for every act. There is a reason that the war occurs, reasons that people chose to fight for, and reasons that those people died, and that makes the whole thing all the more tragic.

I do object to the grimderp comment though.
My apologies. I didn't mean to imply that what you wrote is grimderp. That comment was a jab but not at you or this fic.

But ultimately, I feel grimderp is a term one should take pride in. Its a word that has lost all meaning. Everything is grimderp.

Its just means "I don't like this or you now"

War is a tragedy. It is expected for people to die in it, yes; that does not make the deaths somehow less tragic. You are entitled to not be upset at a tragedy, of course, I do not presume to dictate your emotions to you; but kindly do not belittle those who do find the events of a tragedy sorrowful.
Where did I belittle people about them having feels? I didn't say that they are emo's or anything.

I also take issue with your conflagration of "war stories" and "grimderp". Something that is "grimderp" is dark and depressing unendingly and without reason, to the point of becoming parody. "War stories" can include anything from triumphant and valiant acts, to quiet moments of unexpected calmness and compassion, just to start with. Further, regarding war stories that fall under the umbrella of tragedy, as this section does and as I assume you mean when you refer to war stories in your own post, these stories differ from "grimderp" because there is a logical reason for every act. There is a reason that the war occurs, reasons that people chose to fight for, and reasons that those people died, and that makes the whole thing all the more tragic.
I quote myself:
But ultimately, I feel grimderp is a term one should take pride in. Its a word that has lost all meaning. Everything is grimderp nowadays.

Its just means "I don't like this or you now"

Back