Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Even Mongolians are represented in ships though not kancolle. Warship girls (a kinda sorta not really chinese clone) has a Mongolian barge, Sukhbaatar, or something like that. Her skill is upping rare drop rates.

Back to the story though, I'm not exactly eager to see what happens to the spaghetties. They're some of my favorite boats in Kancolle...

My headcanon is that destroyers are between 17 to 18 years of age.

Yes, even DesDiv6. They're what some would call "legal jailbait."

Verniy has to be a twenty-six year old in the body of a fourteen year-old.

Verniy has to be a twenty-six year old in the body of a fourteen year-old.
It would certainly explain how she gets away with downing vodka by the gallon.

My own take on things is that the JSDF and other navies are still trying to sort out how to approach shipgirl ages. They can't decide if it should be based off how long the ship lived from launching to sinking/scrapping, or from launch to the present day, or from physical appearance.

Last edited:
In an RP where a bunch of characters join a multidimensional SpecForce I'm a part of, I used Iowa's launch date as her birthday, so she's 83 years old.

In an RP where a bunch of characters join a multidimensional SpecForce I'm a part of, I used Iowa's launch date as her birthday, so she's 83 years old.

Link? I wouldn't mind reading this, because it sounds absurd and wonderful.

Personally, I'd start with some constant depending on class then add years of active service, times some multiplier, again depending on class.

Destroyers would have the lowest constant, because they're the least mature.

That tends to be the 'accepted' birthday for Kanmusu. The date their original hulls launched.

That tends to be the 'accepted' birthday for Kanmusu. The date their original hulls launched.

Huh, go figure. Never knew that, guess that means that some of the Kanmusu in game are over a century old. Note, I am not naming any names because I don't want to eat a salvo of high-explosive from even a four-inch gun, let alone fifteen or sixteen inch thank you very much. I may do dumb things on occasion, but I am not that dumb.

Let me clarify, the whole "constant + years of service* another constant" thing is for legal age. That is, if a kanmusu can legally buy alcohol, etc. It explains Kidd's mysterious rum collection, if nothing else. Despite the little shit looking all of twelve.

EDIT: Just so everyone's clear, I'm not sure legal age is the best term, but it's the best one I could come up with.

Last edited:
Let me clarify, the whole "constant + years of service* another constant" thing is for legal age. That is, if a kanmusu can legally buy alcohol, etc. It explains Kidd's mysterious rum collection, if nothing else. Despite the little shit looking all of twelve.

Also explains Hibiki's she was in service for at least thirty years. Despite looking eight or nine years of age.

Huh, go figure. Never knew that, guess that means that some of the Kanmusu in game are over a century old. Note, I am not naming any names because I don't want to eat a salvo of high-explosive from even a four-inch gun, let alone fifteen or sixteen inch thank you very much. I may do dumb things on occasion, but I am not that dumb.
I'm currently RPing as an 83-year old USS Iowa in We Are All Volunteers. She self-summoned in 2025.

...But I digress. Are we gonna eventually see the Πολεμικό Ναφτικό? I wanna see how the Greeks react. I don't care if I'm beating a dead horse.

I trend towards not using their age-when-sunk as their age.

...that tends to lead to questions like 'was Hornet only a year or so old mentally/emotionally?'. Or even worse, poor Shinano.

I trend towards not using their age-when-sunk as their age.

...that tends to lead to questions like 'was Hornet only a year or so old mentally/emotionally?'. Or even worse, poor Shinano.

Well, yes, That's why I add the constant. Way I see it, Destroyers are a minimum of 8-12 years old (depending on class), cruisers are older teens/young adults, between 15 and 22 years old (again, depending on class), and capital ships are full adults, with a minimum age of 25 or so.

Partially completed ships such as poor Shinano are always under 18, though how much depends on the ship.

So, for example, treaty cruiser San Francisco CA-38 was 16 when ordered, served 12 years, times the .75 constant for her class, making her (mentally/legally) 25 when summoned.

By contrast, Shinano is mentally around 14. Old enough to begin comprehending adult thoughts, but not yet adult. Through service as a kanmusu, she's rapidly growing, but she's still, mentally, a kid.

By contrast, Shinano is mentally around 14. Old enough to begin comprehending adult thoughts, but not yet adult. Through service as a kanmusu, she's rapidly growing, but she's still, mentally, a kid.

On the flipside, Shinano's flight deck can certainly handle jets. I mean she's bigger than freaking Forrestal class Supercarriers. I mean, if she hadn't been sunk by USS Archerfish. I am certain that if the Americans captured her, more than a few people would have wanted her in the American Navy. Simply because well she would have the biggest Airwing of any carrier afloat, I mean how many aircraft could she carry in a true Carrier configuration? Over a hundred, easy. Probably would have served till the late 90s too.

On the flipside, Shinano's flight deck can certainly handle jets. I mean she's bigger than freaking Forrestal class Supercarriers. I mean, if she hadn't been sunk by USS Archerfish. I am certain that if the Americans captured her, more than a few people would have wanted her in the American Navy. Simply because well she would have the biggest Airwing of any carrier afloat, I mean how many aircraft could she carry in a true Carrier configuration? Over a hundred, easy. Probably would have served till the late 90s too.

Actually, at 1070 feet, the Forrestal class is about 200 feet longer than Shinano, who is a puny 872 feet, 2 inches long.

Er, no, you'd need to completely strengthen her deck since IIRC it was made out of wood.

Then you'd have to run into the logistical problem of where the parts will come from if there is (and there will be) issues with her systems.

Then finally, the whole issue of training a crew to operate a radically different warship than the rest of the warships in the navy.

Also, we have the Midways. And they're longer (295 m) than Shinano herself (265.8 m)

Doubtful Thor. Heck, immediately after the war a whole bunch of Essex carriers were put in reserve as the budget wasn't there to have them in service until Korea happened. And all the shoddy work that would have to be completely redone and designed for Shinano would be cost prohibitive for the Navy to justify. They would probably just have scrapped her for the steel.

Now if the US had somehow captured either Musashi or Yamato, there might have been a movement to preserve the ship as a war trophy either at Pearl or in the Potomac just near DC as a monument of victory as an "America, Eff Yeah!"

Last edited:
Doubtful Thor. Heck, immediately after the war a whole bunch of Essex carriers were put in reserve as the budget wasn't there to have them in service until Korea happened. And all the shoddy work that would have to be completely redone and designed for Shinano would be cost prohibitive for the Navy to justify. They would probably just have scrapped her for the steel.

Now if the US had somehow captured either Musashi or Yamato, there might have been a movement to preserve the ship as a war trophy either at Pearl or in the Potomac just near DC as a monument of victory as an "America, Eff Yeah!"

Or expended her in Crossroads.

I agree their, however I do have one thing to say -although this is just by eyeballing the one known picture of Shinano- Shinano actually is better than the Midways in one retrospect, she has more freeboard, meaning her sea-keeping is better. The Midways suffered from Sea-Keeping issues until they got the SCB-110/110A upgrades and even afterward they still had sea-keeping problems. But I digress, we might be getting a wee bit off topic.

Actually the SCB upgrades made it worse. :/

Anyway, let's talk about the story instead of what-ifs, yeah?

Back