Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Because I mean... okay, maybe I love her. But... love is more than just emotions and kisses and hugs and taking your SO out for a date or whatever. Because love... it's not just an emotion. Love is a promise. To be there. Forever. No matter what.
My little brother would beg to differ (Des Moines is his shipfu), but this is neither the time nor the place for that.

...I don't have a ship waifu?

I mean, I like submarines from reading Run Silent, Run Deep and living 40+ minutes from the Museum of Science and Industry and realizing how tiny the spaces were. But that's only because it was right there. Forests and the Great Lakes are more my thing.

Please don't kick me out because I don't have a ship waifu...

...I don't have a ship waifu?

I mean, I like submarines from reading Run Silent, Run Deep and living 40+ minutes from the Museum of Science and Industry and realizing how tiny the spaces were. But that's only because it was right there. Forests and the Great Lakes are more my thing.

Please don't kick me out because I don't have a ship waifu...

Not having a shipfu is fine. 'S long as you don't start acting like a smug asshole because you don't have one.

USS Nemo, also known as U-505. I was so glad when they moved it inside, so that you can walk around the entire sub. It used to be that you could only see it through grimy windows as a walkway connected it to the museum.

Apparently they found a can of bread dough that was sorta fresh when they remodeled it starting in 1997.

Apparently they found a can of bread dough that was sorta fresh when they remodeled it starting in 1997.
I'm going to qualify that with it being military sorta fresh. There's a very large difference between regular sorta fresh and military sorta fresh, at least in my experience anyway.

You heard it here folks, Gaea lieks Nemo Fünf :V

That's nothing. There is a tin of meat in a museum somewhere, left behind from the 19th Century Polar Expeditions. In theory, still safe to eat, because of the container's seal, and the freezing temperatures that entombed it in ice. Personally, I wouldn't eat it. Probably lead or something in the can itself, that leaked into the meat itself.

Article:
The consequences of combat were sometimes felt long after engagement with the enemy. Depth-charged near Rabaul on Sept. 28, 1942, Sculpin took on water, which was dumped into the canned-goods storeroom as a stopgap measure. Labels and cans soon parted ways, leaving a substantial collection of Dutch-supplied mystery meat for the submariners' enjoyment. "For some weeks afterwards," Mendenhall recalled, "the crew insisted that Chief Cook Duncan Hughes would send a mess cook for an armload of cans, open them, and thus determine the menu for the meal."
Source: Pig Boats, Fleet Boats, & Mystery Meat

I'm sure Sculpin will eat it if you don't! :p

USS Nemo, also known as U-505. I was so glad when they moved it inside, so that you can walk around the entire sub. It used to be that you could only see it through grimy windows as a walkway connected it to the museum.

Unfortunately, I've already paired @Always Late with Nemo. I operate on a first come, first serve basis.

But I don't want to see Salem get hurt.

Yes, Salem. I know. It's the price of being a warship. That doesn't mean I have to like it when you get hurt.

Actually, other USN CAs could maintain the same RoF, but they lacked the all-angles power loaders the Des Moines class had, so they could only fire every six seconds at their reloading angle. Those same all-angles power loaders made the main battery... somewhat usable for AA purposes. Which I think makes them the largest useful naval AA guns in WW2.

And from an AA perspective, they have twin 3"/50 mounts for middleweight AA instead of quad 40mm.

But yes, the Des Moines triplets are basically "unending stream of pain, Heavy cruiser edition". They're arguably the best heavy cruisers ever built.
I seriously doubt prior CAs could reach Des Moines-level rates of fire, mostly because all-angle power loading wasn't the only difference. The shell handling and loading was fully automated, and the guns used separate ammunition like on the 6"/47 rather than the prior bag ammunition (which, by the way, was one of the reasons the 6"/47 fired so fast itself). Not to mention 8" guns of the era struggled to reach 6 rounds per minute even with cue-ball techniques and at loading angles.

I'm curious where you heard that earlier USN CAs could maintain a Des Moines rate of fire.

Also, there's no "arguably" about it. The Des Moines class was the best class of heavy cruiser every built: unmatched firepower, AA and surface, unmatched fire control, better armor than a Zara (something even the Baltimores never quite pulled off), good speed and excellent range. Short of torpedo attacks, a Des Moines beats the pants off of any other heavy cruiser at heavy cruiser roles, and torpedo attacks were never a good use of heavy cruisers anyway.

And the beta (me) is getting swamped by a 36-grid array.

From hell.

That I have to decypher.

Because the manual didn't give me any pointers.

yaay

I seriously doubt prior CAs could reach Des Moines-level rates of fire, mostly because all-angle power loading wasn't the only difference. The shell handling and loading was fully automated, and the guns used separate ammunition like on the 6"/47 rather than the prior bag ammunition (which, by the way, was one of the reasons the 6"/47 fired so fast itself). Not to mention 8" guns of the era struggled to reach 6 rounds per minute even with cue-ball techniques and at loading angles.

The Mark 16 8"/55 Naval Rifle uses semi-fixed ammunition, with the shell and powder case being handled separately. Not *that* big a deal, just being a little pedantic.

But yeah, for some reason I forgot that the Mark 15 wasn't fully power-loaded at the loading angle. My fault.

Back