Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Our glorious stealth-capable hill was humming and confused the smol bai.

And we get to inflict Jiao's training ideas on others.

This update was great.

[X] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

This is the one that I feel is most likely to help us breach the gap and get Stealth B. Stealth isn't our best skill, music is now, but it is still so very valuable and I consider it worth pursuing.

Also, I hate leaving favors hanging. Let's clean this up and see what's inside the Trapped Temple of Trouble!

Remember, neither of these options are time limited, they happen in the story at the exact time that we say they do. There's no fear of rejection here. That being said, the timing makes the most sense for Xuan Shi. Zhengui just woke up and he looks a little small, so it makes sense for either Xuan Shi to come over to express his congratulations and ask for a favor, or for Ling Qi to go to him to ask for Xuan Wu health advice. Also, it seems like social actions are going to be our main source of interesting exploration now, so we should try to get more of them.

[X] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

Right, with Zhengui awake, it's the ideal time to do the Xuan Shi action. I still want to know if we've already equipped CDE, as it would be pretty useful here.

Last edited:
Ah, that was fantastic and hilarious :D

[x] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

Xiao Fen is fun! I'm also glad we are leaning on her early to think more deeply about why she is being treated as she is.

Hope that we get a snippet of Su Ling and the bodyguard sisters at some point.

Amusing. An enjoyable update.

Really I wanted to take this chance to secure our ~~one true husbando~~ ally, but I don't want to pass up the Xuan Shi thing. I know that we're in some kind of plot superposition state where anything can happen, but I am concerned about some things expiring anyway.
It just wouldn't make much sense for this one to persist much longer and so I expect it either to vanish or scale up.

Either way though, Xuan Time. Especially since our little boy finally woke up.

He is appropriately ruthless in combat, and neither cried when struck in the groin or other pain centers, nor hesitated to attempt similar effective techniques on me,
I see snek maid has that characteristic Bai diplomacy going for her. :V

"Liu Xin is the son of mortal cobbler
Son of a cobbler? Can he be the son of a family of cobblers that hates music, but he always dreamed of being a musician?

[x] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

Cowabunga!

[x] Shen Hu: The taciturn boy has approached you for once. He has found the abandoned lair of an underworld dragon, but is not confident that he can face the scavengers that fill it unopposed.

Mainly I feel bad being like "Hey turtle boy! Come check out my turtle snake while we go on an adventure!" Immediately after Zhengui woke up. :V

Oh she is a delight.

Ling Qi sat atop a small, stony hillock as she waited for her 'junior sister' to arrive, idly playing a contemplative tune on her flute as her thoughts wandered. Sixiang hummed along in her head, and Hanyi was back at her sect lodgings soaking up argent qi at the Ling Qi's vent… she had been a little frustrated, apparently her transformation and breakthrough had left her unable to use some of her channels properly and it hadn't cleared up yet. As for Zhengui…

And this is the moment I started laughing. This post from the other day kinda predicted it, so I immediately recognized what Qi was trying to do.

LQ: After all this tutoring on your arts, let's train your skills. More precisely perception. And reaction to stealth threat.
Snek maid : Perception, why so ?
LQ : You didn't notice the xuan wu.
Snek maid: What xuan wu :???:
Hill they were sitting on : *Bite the snek maid*

It's really good shit.

She watched as Bai Xiao Fen peered up at her from the bottom of the slope with narrowed eyes, and then glanced around, seemingly unsettled by something. Ling Qi hid the little grin that tried to surface as she stared down at the other girl.

And Qi is getting plenty of mileage out of it.

She had expected there to be something more like their mothers being friends, or that they were childhood playmates or… something. "It might not be my place to say but… if you really want to serve Meizhen well… duty won't be enough I think. There's more to family than that."

Xiao Fen gave her a singularly unimpressed look. "You are right, it is not your place, even if my cousin thinks so highly of you, what can you know…"

"I know Meizhen is a lonely person, and she closes others out easily," Ling Qi replied bluntly, her aura stirring as she spoke. "I know that her mother is gone, and for whatever reason she doesn't interact much with her father. When our time in the Sect ends, she's going to need someone to support her, and I'm not talking about cultivation or combat."

Xiao Fen stared at her for several long seconds, and Ling QI could practically see the twin motivations of pride in her clan and obeying Meizhen's words warring in her head. "I will take your advice into account Senior Sister," she finally said, her voice dull.

"I'm not saying that your clan is wrong or mistaken, or even that your performing your role badly, I don't even know you," Ling Qi replied, hoping that she wasn't speaking in vain. "Just… think about why she asked you to speak plainly to her, you know? Meizhen needs more friends more than she needs a servant."

Xiao Fen regarded her silently again, some of the indignation slipping away. "I understand your intentions, Senior Sister," she replied, briefly dipping her head.

"I know your liege far better than you do, and I know better than you what she needs most. Friends, family, equals." I super appreciate Qi going outside strict social boundaries of politeness to do some real talk with snek-kouhai.

Ling Qi let out a sigh of relief, and pressed on. "Any luck on following our advice?"

Bai Xiao Fen frowned and glanced away, her indignation draining away, looking faintly shamed. "There were several… set backs. However, my current sparring partner did not crumble under the cultivation regime I set him after I informed him of our friendship. I believe I have acquired an acceptable friend."

Loooooooooooool. That's basically how I imagined that going. Sorta missing the mark, but in an endearing way.

"We can get started now," Ling Qi said lightly before slapping the stone she was sitting on. "Up you go little brother, nap time is over."

Ling Qi very carefully did not grin or otherwise react to the startled quickly choked off shriek of surprise that rose from Xiao Fen's lips as the entire hillock heaved upward, dust and stone falling away to reveal her little brother, and Zhen slithered free of their shell to loom over the both of them. "Big Sister is cruel, making us wait so long, then accusing us of napping. I had to put up with foolish Gui's humming for an hour."

"I'm only teasing. Thanks for playing along little brother," Ling Qi said lightly, resting her hand on Zhen's burning hot scales. She then glanced over at Xiao Fen, who was doing her best to look wholly unruffled. "Ah right, Xiao Fen, this is Zhengui, he's not a cultivation site, but he will be taking us to one." She had cleared it with Gu Xiulan already, but the siite that Gu Yanmei had shared with her last year was their destination.

The Prestige. If Qi ever takes any other tutor jobs, this is happening during every single one.

iao Fen shot her a look of frustrated irritation. "This Xiao Fen greets the honorable… Zhengui," it looked like saying the name physically hurt her. Ling Qi thought that she really need to lighten up.

So sad that our kouhai lacks even a smidgen of artistic taste, Zhengui's name is pure poetry.

So yeah, Qi is being a fucking awesome Senpai right now. I love it.

Obvious choice, we've been delaying on it for months.

You are ignoring content by this member.

My main pick for romance.

Back