Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
ASA is yin fire, as an example.

Ashen Shadow Art
Ash, Fire, Melee, Wind, Yin
Potency: Yellow 1
Potency Growth: Yellow 2(3) Yellow 3(6)
Needed Meridians: Arm, Lung(1), Arm (3), Lung (5)
Max Level 6
A melee art which converts the users qi into a trailing shadow of ash, the users strikes drain the heat from enemies struck, weakening and debilitating them. The ash can be used for choking, blinding gusts directed at foes. More complex Ash constructs available at higher levels.

Last edited:
Because this time Ling Qi was actively suppressing her domain and Qi, and Biyu still sensed it at distance.
In your very same quote it mentions how she's failing to do it perfectly and how random mortals can tell (and that's assuming she hasn't been doing that since the time where my own quote was taken from). Someone who knows LQ aura would also have an easier time recognizing it in the first place.
Our mother is not talent 1. It would be impossible for her to cultivate if she was. Our mother might actually be fairly talented if she can get to Red in an year or so despite her age.
Even if she started at talent 3-4 it degrades into nothing overtime, her being a 1 or 2 at this point hardly matters anyway.

Sooooooo......what kind of arts can we expect from our Junior Sister Xiao Fen?

We know she's supposed to be the ninja maid of Meizhen so Stealth Arts are something we'd expect. We know aside from Darkness, she also has Yin Fire. I guess that's one of her offensive abilities. Don't know what exactly will it do compared to the usual Fire (like the Gu kind).
So, here's what we know about a Yin fire/wind art.
[] Ashen Shadow Art
Yin, Fire/Wind
Arm/Lung
Physical/Spiritual
A melee art which converts the users qi into a trailing shadow of ash, the users strikes drain the heat from enemies struck, weakening and debilitating them. The ash can be used for choking, blinding gusts directed at foes. More complex Ash constructs available at higher levels. 6 levels

Yin fire, therefore, seems to be related to draining the heat from opponents. Darkness might work with that as well by drawing on it's consumption aspect. Draining heat and consuming it thus giving a slight edge in qi with every strike. If that is how her yin fire works, then we will be able to help her in the aspects of consumption and draining of heat with FSS and our work on AE.

She's could also be involved with consuming the energy of attacks that are directed at her. Maybe stealing and consuming buffs or debuffs on allies? Especially if she is supposed to be assisting Bai Meizhen.

She might deal with stealth as well, which could be intriguing for us to tutor her in stealth. Might help us improve our own stealth efforts.

Bai Meizhen and Cui
Well that's intriguing to know. Yin Fire is definitely the kind that inflicts status effects unto opponents. For this case, assuming it works in a similar way as ASA, seems to be about weakening our opponent via debuff. If it leans more towards draining heat from opponents (which personally I have my doubts about), then we really could train her with FSS along with Hanyi (she's still may as well be a fellow student). We're really familiar with Dark element and its consuming nature after all.

by the way, here's more art of best snek

Her second spirit (forgot the exact name) is also lingering around in her shadows

Also want to draw an Abyssal Mantle version. Unfortunately, I suck at drawing controlled moving water, much less draw an armoured version (gonna need to research).

@yrsillar here you go

Last edited:
The type of spirit it is called is the Heartbursting Phantasm:
"Because Heartbursting Phantasms are incorporeal spirits, and because it will make it more likely for the emerging personality to be complementary to my own," Meizhen explained patiently. Apparently her Grandfathers idea of a thouhgtful gift was a spirit composed of the congealed terror from a old battlefield, from when the Thousand lakes still bordered barbarian lands.

Other than that, I don't think it has a name. I agree that I remember something about names giving more individuality and thus making it less malleable.

Turn 4: Arc 1-1 continued
For a long moment silence reigned in the bedroom, with her Mother looking down. Ling Qi could feel the turmoil in her thoughts. There was fear for Ling Qi, a helpless and directionless anger, and many other conflicting emotions. What emerged from that emotional morass however, was resolve.

"...Was there something in that storm worth risking your life for?" Her mother asked, drawing her attention back.

"Absolutely," Ling QI replied immediately, meeting her eyes. "The spirit of the mountain was my teacher. More than anything else. I was there to save her daughter."

In her dantian, Hanyi's qi seemed to both curl up and reach out to grasp hers. "In fact, I actually wanted to introduce you to her, if you don't mind."

Her Mother leaned back, releasing the squirming Biyu to slide down onto the floor from her lap. "Is that safe?" She asked faintly. "The spirits are-" Ling Qingge shook herself. "No, you would not suggest it if it were unsafe, but… why?"

Ling Qi smiled wanly. "Didn't I say? She's the daughter of my master. That makes her my junior sister, and my responsibility… you deserve to know the ones who are in our family."

"I see," her Mother replied, fidgeting with her gown. There was an old and ingrained fear embedded there. Ling Qi knew that to most spirits were distant and unapproachable things, much more so than spirit beasts, with their simpler motives and behaviors. "You are right, as… family it is only right."

Biyu of course was only looking around with incomprehension, unsure of what they were talking about.

'Well, you're up, please be careful Hanyi,' she thought, giving the young spirit a gentle nudge with her qi. In front of her, the air glittered, and frost spread across the carpet as Hanyi expressed herself, fading into view. Ling Qi flet the flicker of alarm and revulsion that passed through her mother as the spirit solidified. It hurt a little, but she expected it. She knew that to mortal eyes, Hanyi's appearance was distressing. A young girl with skin and lips that looked like a corpse, a victim of the cold sleep, and blank white eyes without iris or pupil, of course that would be alarming.

She saw Hanyi's growing pout, and gave her a silent nudge with her qi. "Hiya," she greeted, with a mildly disrespectful bob of her head. "My name is Hanyi, I guess your Big Sis' family huh?"

There was silence for a moment, until the silence was broken by Biyu, who had backed whose eyes were wide with alarm and fear. "Ghost?" she asked, looking to Ling Qi for support.

Hanyi beat her to the response though. "No, don't be a dummy, you'll make your sister look bad. I'm a real spirit, not some whiny echo," she boasted, Ling Qi noticed with some wariness a certain threat of jealousy and vindictiveness in Hanyi's thoughts as they regarded to her sister. She would have to talk to her about that later.

"It's fine Biyu, Hanyi isn't a scary ghost. Would I let her in here if she was?" Ling Qi answered patiently, ignoring Hanyi's words for now, the young spirit shot her a pouting look. "She's my friend, like Zhengui is, do you understand?"

"Oh," the little girl said, still eyeing Hanyi warily. "Where is lil' turtle?"

"You'll get to see him again soon," Ling Qi said with a smile.

"That dummy better be up soon," Hanyi grumbled.

More importantly, Ling Qi thought, giving her Mother a surreptitious glance the little aside had given Ling Qingge a moment to compose herself and stand. "Welcome to my home… Hanyi," she said, offering a polite bow. She hesitated on using the spirits name, which was understandable, generally mortals would use an epithet. "As my daughters junior sister, you are welcome here."

Hanyi blinked, turning back to the older woman, and Ling Qi felt a complicated snarl of emotions in Hanyi's heart as she regarded Ling Qingge. "...Yeah, um- thank you for your welcome," she replied with awkward formality. She suspected that Hanyi wasn't sure what to make of Qingge. Hanyi had a certain disregard for those weaker than her, and had little social experience, but the role of 'mother' was one she understood very well.

There was a moment of awkward silence as Hanyi scuffed her foot against the frosted carpet and Ling Qingge seemed to struggle with her own ingrained manners, but then…

"And I'm Sixiang!" the empty air next to Ling Qi's head announced brightly. "I can't say I'm family, but I do live in Ling Qi's head, so I'm afraid I'll be intruding on the regular."

Her Mother's expression was one of blank confusion, and Biyu was once again looking around, searching futility for someone who was not there.

"You've done some good stuff with the house you know," Sixiang continued unabated. "Between shifting the furniture around and switching around the decor, it feels way more welcoming. I have no idea how Ling Qi manages to be so dull about that kinda thing."

"I...thank you, I think?" Her mother replied haltingly, looking to Ling Qi for explanation.

"...Sixiang is another spirit of mine. They're a dream muse, the kind that inspires artists," Ling Qi sighed.

"And look at this one, cute as a button. I'd pinch your lil cheeks if I had hands," Sixiang rambled on, and Biyu let out a surprised little yelp as a brush of wind ruffled her hair. "Never woulda guessed you were Ling Qi's sister."

"Hey what's that supposed to mean?" Ling Qi asked irately.

"Hey, Big Sis is totally cute," Hanyi said at the same time, stomping her foot.

"Pfft, yeah yeah, you two have that 'scary chic' thing going on," Sixiang announced, and Ling Qi felt in her thoughts the equivalent of the dream spirit giving her an exaggerated wink. "Not at all like the little cutie here."

Biyu pouted up at the empty air. "Don't be mean! Sis-y is pretty!"

"Hmph, it's better if she's more like me and Momma anyway," Hanyi huffed under her breath.

Ling Qi looked back to her bewildered looking Mother and gave her a sheepish smile. "So...yeah, this is how things are. I know it's not exactly normal, especially for you, but… I want to include you in more of my life."

Her Mother looked faintly bemused as Hanyi argued with empty air and Biyu squealed in delight trying to catch tickling fingers that weren't there. "I… cannot say I understand entirely, but… thank you all the same Ling Qi."

Ling Qi nodded, feeling lighter than before, still there was one more matter of family to take care of.

[] Zhengui would be awakening soon. Arrange for transportation, so that you can take your family out to see his awakening. Your arts will be more than enough to ensure their safety for a short trip.

[] Zhengui would be awakening soon. You doubt that he will be able to control his size fully right away. Arrange to bring him to an open area near town after his awakening, for a family visit.

Last edited:
[X] Zhengui would be awakening soon. Arrange for transportation, so that you can take your family out to see his awakening. Your arts will be more than enough to ensure their safety for a short trip.

Time for Zhengui to show off what a big boy he is.

[X] Zhengui would be awakening soon. Arrange for transportation, so that you can take your family out to see his awakening. Your arts will be more than enough to ensure their safety for a short trip.

Arguments over whether Qi is cuter than her baby sister. Only the best content, here at Threads.

Leaning this direction. But I can think of fairly good arguments for not bringing out family into the attention of others, so I might change later.

"And I'm Sixiang!" the empty air next to Ling Qi's head announced brightly. "I can't say I'm family, but I do live in Ling Qi's head, so I'm afraid I'll be intruding on the regular."
We owe her something really nice for this.

Like a cake. Or five. Possibly also our undying gratitude.

There was a moment of awkward silence as Hanyi scuffed her foot against the frosted carpet and Ling Qingge seemed to struggle with her own ingrained manners, but then…

Her Mother's expression was one of blank confusion, and Biyu was once again looking around, searching futility for someone who was not there.
and Sixiang perfectly gets rid of the awkwardness.
really showing her social skills here :)

[X] Zhengui would be awakening soon. You doubt that he will be able to control his size fully right away. Arrange to bring him to an open area near town after his awakening, for a family visit.

iirc, last time he did a full sized tackle first, right? on the one hand, it would be cool to have the family around for the awakening, but on the other hand, do we want them to get a heart attack when he does it again?

FUN

The world of cultivators and spirits may be scary and overwhelming to our mortal family, but it's the world they're going to be living in. When it comes to something relatively safe like meeting our spirit beast we should endeavor to show them the genuine article if possible.

Nice save Sixiang, shock the family through the awkwardness!

[x] Zhengui would be awakening soon. Arrange for transportation, so that you can take your family out to see his awakening. Your arts will be more than enough to ensure their safety for a short trip.

[X] Zhengui would be awakening soon. You doubt that he will be able to control his size fully right away. Arrange to bring him to an open area near town after his awakening, for a family visit.

There's a very important difference in the votes.
One is for the actual awakening, the other is after the awakening.

[x] Zhengui would be awakening soon. Arrange for transportation, so that you can take your family out to see his awakening. Your arts will be more than enough to ensure their safety for a short trip.

Back