Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Don't forget that the sect's challenges favor specialization rather than jack of all trades. i'd argue that the inter-sect tournament does too simply by virtue of it being a team event.

Larceny is more something we dabble in than a specialty anyway.

TBH, Lark strikes me as redundant. It doesnt really add anything new and usable to our repertoire. Basically, it works best at close range, which is were we dont want to be, requires the use of hands, which really should be occupied with playing our flute. I'm not convinced flight is such a powerful advantage in the inner sect either.

In the outer sect, you basically fight against other outer sect members and some low end spirits. Inner sect is where military service becomes common, and what are they fighting? Spirits and flying barbarians. I'm pretty skeptical that flight is some kind of unassailable advantage, frankly.

I wouldn't mind trying to pick something up that let's us dispel enemy buffs. Better general utility than Fairy Lark that some people seem obsessed with, anyway.
While our ability to dispel stuff directly will always kinda suck[1], there's an avenue we've seen this chapter that's particularly well suited for us: aggressive Qi drain, cost increase, and erosion effects.

We've seen in our arts, in fluff about darkness spirits, and now with this blob-monster that darkness lends itself well to hungry void/abyss themed effects. With current plans to drop AE we're losing excess to (surprisingly effective) Qi regen passives (and more importantly, themes). Unless FSS and whatever we get for TRF+ pick up the slack we'll be less of an inexhaustible attrition monster and more of a (still quite effective) regular monster.

[1] dispels run off of Int. CRX is super-effective there because she's likely running uncapped Int, while we're looking at ~B at best by the tournament next year. Only way we get effective dispels is if Sixiang teaches us whatever lets them we use Presence instead. If that ever happens we can look for a dispel art then.

Last edited:
Larceny is more something we dabble in than a specialty anyway.

TBH, Lark strikes me as redundant. It doesnt really add anything new and usable to our repertoire. Basically, it works best at close range, which is were we dont want to be, requires the use of hands, which really should be occupied with playing our flute. I'm not convinced flight is such a powerful advantage in the inner sect either.

In the outer sect, you basically fight against other outer sect members and some low end spirits. Inner sect is where military service becomes common, and what are they fighting? Spirits and flying barbarians. I'm pretty skeptical that flight is some kind of unassailable advantage, frankly.

We have barely any example of what it actually does yet, but a very strongly worded defense and stealth buff (Again, from an Art in its literal most elementary form) that we get to use because we managed to have the exact technique we need to master it, combined with a "Take stuff that belongs to your opponents" thing is a potent combination.

We just saw here after all how we could have potentially swept the other side if--upon seeing one of the enemies was a production spec, we just pickpocketed his stuff, which would have denied the area denial kraken.

And this is just based on the level 1 of a 5 level Art.

We've managed to save about 9 AP thanks to Suyin's new toy (We have 18 Meridians left until our first soft-cap, we now train two Meridians per action. Remember that bonus Meridians don't count towards soft-caps), we can afford Lark

We have barely any example of what it actually does yet, but a very strongly worded defense and stealth buff (Again, from an Art in its literal most elementary form) that we get to use because we managed to have the exact technique we need to master it, combined with a "Take stuff that belongs to your opponents" thing is a potent combination.

We just saw here after all how we could have potentially swept the other side if--upon seeing one of the enemies was a production spec, we just pickpocketed his stuff, which would have denied the area denial kraken.

And this is just based on the level 1 of a 5 level Art.

We've managed to save about 9 AP thanks to Suyin's new toy (We have 18 Meridians left until our first soft-cap, we now train two Meridians per action. Remember that bonus Meridians don't count towards soft-caps), we can afford Lark

There are stealth arts more suited to LQ, that dont require us to be at touch range, and that dont take up our hands that really should be occupied with our weapon.

This goes right back to the issue of basically having to drop our flute to use it that the bow had.

They also dont require us to pay the surcharge of flight just to use either.

While our ability to dispel stuff directly will always kinda suck[1], there's an avenue we've seen this chapter that's particularly well suited for us: aggressive Qi drain, cost increase, and erosion effects.

We've seen in our arts, in fluff about darkness spirits, and now with this blob-monster that darkness lends itself well to hungry void/abyss themed effects. With current plans to drop AE we're losing excess to (surprisingly effective) Qi regen passives (and more importantly, themes). Unless FSS and whatever we get for TRF+ pick up the slack we'll be less of an inexhaustible attrition monster and more of a (still quite effective) regular monster.

[1] dispels run off of Int. CRX is super-effective there because she's likely running uncapped Int, while we're looking at ~B at best by the tournament next year. Only way we get effective dispels is if Sixiang teaches us whatever lets them we use Presence instead. If that ever happens we can look for a dispel art then.
I'm fairly confident that FSS will pick up the slack for Qi drain, but don't forget that PLR is also getting Qi Drain soon:

PLR2 said:
Lunatic Whirl: C
Duration: Persistent
Usable only while Illustrious Phantasmal Festival is active. The ghostly dancers gather around an intruder in the festival, laughing, singing and demanding a dance, forcing them to join the revelry. The dancers seize their arms and hands, dragging them through the chaotic revelry. Though the dancers will do no harm to their captive, the frenetic pace of the revelry is highly draining, and victim finds their qi dribbling away, while the sights and sounds of the revel cloud their minds and steal the strength from their limbs.

PLR3 said:
Lunatic Whirl: C
Duration: Persistent
Usable only while Illustrious Phantasmal Festival is active. The ghostly dancers gather around an intruder in the festival, laughing, singing and demanding a dance, forcing them to join the revelry. The dancers seize their arms and hands, dragging them through the chaotic revelry. Though the dancers will do no harm to their captive, the frenetic pace of the revelry is highly draining, and victim finds their qi dribbling away, siphoned to the user while the sights and sounds of the revel cloud their minds and steal the strength from their limbs.

A lot of our build will change once FVM/SCS become obsolete though, and we need to re-arrange our fighting style in accordance.

There are stealth arts more suited to LQ, that dont require us to be at touch range, and that dont take up our hands that really should be occupied with our weapon.

This goes right back to the issue of basically having to drop our flute to use it that the bow had.

They also dont require us to pay the surcharge of flight just to use either.

That's absurd pedantry, "It uses Arm Meridians so we need to drop our weapon to use it". "We shouldn't abuse our third realm cheat code because it's not efficient". It strikes me more that you've already decided that you hate it so that you're going to invent excuses to justify your hate.

It's a high powered Art thanks to the tight restriction, and we convienently can reliably meet that restriction. Dismissing it because the first level isn't OP (And is 'Just' competitive with our highest quality mobility/dodge art after six ranks) is super premature.

It also gives us a narrative reason to pick up a Flight based Athletics specialty way before anyone can have it, and really abuse our cheat code to the limit.

That's absurd pedantry, "It uses Arm Meridians so we need to drop our weapon to use it". "We shouldn't abuse our third realm cheat code because it's not efficient". It strikes me more that you've already decided that you hate it so that you're going to invent excuses to justify your hate.

It's a high powered Art thanks to the tight restriction, and we convienently can reliably meet that restriction. Dismissing it because the first level isn't OP (And is 'Just' competitive with our highest quality mobility/dodge art after six ranks) is super premature.

It also gives us a narrative reason to pick up a Flight based Athletics specialty way before anyone can have it, and really abuse our cheat code to the limit.

I keep seeing "it's a high powered art" Really though, you cannot know that. It's just a shallow justification to pick something up because you think it's fun.

I'm gonna be honest, I dont like it's themes, and I am highly skeptical that flight is the 'cheat' you seem to think it is at this level. I feel like lark has been blown way out of proportion, and that no matter what it actually does, we'll have people singing it's praises until it's near capped.

I guess the votes will fall were they may.

I keep seeing "it's a high powered art" Really though, you cannot know that. It's just a shallow justification to pick something up because you think it's fun.

I'm gonna be honest, I dont like it's themes, and I am highly skeptical that flight is the 'cheat' you seem to think it is at this level. I feel like lark has been blown way out of proportion, and that no matter what it actually does, we'll have people singing it's praises until it's near capped.

I guess the votes will fall were they may.

It was designed on a whim by an Elder as we were told a while back when someone asked yrsillar, and he didn't consider 'Practicality' to be a factor when he made it. It's stronger than most arts of it's level, it's just impractical for most people.

It was designed on a whim by an Elder as we were told a while back when someone asked yrsillar, and he didn't consider 'Practicality' to be a factor when he made it. It's stronger than most arts of it's level, it's just impractical for most people.

Remove the "most people" and just say everyone.

It's almost guaranteed to be not cost effective, and you didnt even need WoG to know that. Still, people seem to be in love with the idea, and I lack the time and inclination to effort post about it.

Everyone with no access to flight, or that sucks too much at dance and stealth to take advantage of the larceny parts. Guess what we have access to and the skill for.

EDIT: also flight is totally cost-effective in a fight; otherwise why the hell would everyone that can do it (CRX, Liling) use it.

It's almost guaranteed to be not cost effective, and you didnt even need WoG to know that. Still, people seem to be in love with the idea, and I lack the time and inclination to effort post about it.

It wasn't cost effective in the old system, it's just fine now--not something we use all the time, but it's not a significant drain on Ling Qi's reserves anymore, not with her current level of sustain.

Everyone with no access to flight, or that sucks too much at dance and stealth to take advantage of the larceny parts. Guess what we have access to and the skill for.

You need to pay separately to fly just to use it. It'd need to be substantially stronger than any other art in it's tier to be worth the cost, and since it's the same quality as every other art we found in the library, I find that rather unlikely.

And while most of our peers wont fly, their adversaries, the barbarians, do fly this early.

And it's still a touch range art, that doesn't play nice with the flute.

But again, I'm sure I'll just be dismissed out of hand.

Back