Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Does this mean Suyin lost, or was she challenged and won, thus keeping her position?

Would be interesting to see Meizhen's challenge, the low 700s would be a good target to aim for.

Cai route... so bleh... Now maybe getting worse. This is who Ling Qi spends the rest of her life following around working for?

CRX obviously recognised our infinite superiority in our friend making abilities.

Or she understood that we are absolutely not a spymistress, our spy ring could be more accuratelly called "the three gossips".

We just beat our ennemies by stumbling upon their neet caves thanks to god quest and then proceed to loot everything inside of them.

This is incorrect, as they are two different types of action.

We don't know how much time the bird tech needs, as we have never used it, so that reasonning fall flat.

Remember that we're on a more narrative combat system, rather than a pure mechanical one. A high quality physical defensive art like TRF will simply be better at defense than a lower quality non-defensive art like EANP. Quite frankly Yrsillar just won't interpret it otherwise. It would be rather silly.

TRF is a much better defensive art, as it's defensive abilities are much wider. In certain, specific conditions, the anthem can overtake it tho (much like FSS field could make it stronger defensivelly than TRF against some sort of attacks).

We don't - and shouldn't - have every Art we train equipped simultaneously. This is why I've mentioned a 'Sideboard Stealth Suite', that allows us to go full infiltrator without compromising us when in a team combat situation.

We can always drop Arts we don't like the themes of that we can still train, the way we'll be doing shortly with AE, and we can always change what we want as our part of our 'main suite', relegating other Arts to the sideboard for niche purposes (AFL fits here) or to the 'dumping ground' of 'not going to train again'.
We can certainly sideboard arts, but at best that takes care of half the cost of picking up the art. If you are lucky and/or plan things very well, swapping things in and out lets you get away with skipping the typical work needed to open or compress meridians - but no matter how good your planning is, you aren't going to get around the fact that train arts costs actions.

Yeah, we can do what we did with AE and discard an art entirely - but that means trashing all the time that went into developing it! We could have spent the time compressing meridians, or getting sect points (to be turned into pills that can boost base cultivation or our domain or what have you), or exploring.

Sure, it is not the end of the world if we pick a weak art for our sideboard where it is used once or twice a year for some small effect. Nor is it the end of the world if we practice an art only to discard it outright. But just because it is not the end of the world doesn't mean it isn't a waste. We only have so much time to advance, and even if we might be fast enough to afford throwing some of our actions away on dead ends, that doesn't mean it is a good idea.

We don't know how much time the bird tech needs, as we have never used it, so that reasonning fall flat.

We can infer based on other techs. The Worms tech from AE is another Summon Art that used to take a standard action, and the listed duration is currently 'scene/until destroyed'.

CDE's Eyes last a 'short' time, while AENP has a 'long' duration.

Plus, you know, the whole 'is narratively intended to be used this way'. AENP is not intended to be used as a defensive Art.

TRF is a much better defensive art, as it's defensive abilities are much wider. In certain, specific conditions, the anthem can overtake it tho (much like FSS field could make it stronger defensivelly than TRF against some sort of attacks).

This is the first time you've mentioned the conditionals on it being superior.

Are we... Are we the baddies sir?

Nonsense, our liege is an enlightened future dictator and our best friend, that is trying to transform into a snake, at least metaphysically, is the nicest snek of the snek pile. Beside, we aren't known for pushing our ennemies into throwing themselves off cliff rather than fight us, right ? :V

Anyone know what CRX is talking about here?

You know that material superiority thing ? You can kiss it goodbye, this is what it means.

Plus, you know, the whole 'is narratively intended to be used this way'. AENP is not intended to be used as a defensive Art.

Half of the tech text is about how it can be used defensively tho. It's very much intended as such.

This is the first time you've mentioned the conditionals on it being superior.

I mentionned them since the very first comment I made on the subject tho.

So for every single target art our opponent use,

Yup, so social build synergises great with music as we noted ages ago.

Also being a diplomat synergises well with being sneaking and spying, so we really have both things going.

She's just making us be more public and social.

I think we're starting to see why CRX path might have been a poor decision in the long therm.
Not that any of the other paths didn't have their own similar issues, but vassal-hood is, was, and always will be, to put yourself under the orders of someone that will use you to realize his (or her) goals.
Considering how cultivation works, the further along it you go the less wiggle room you have between your own Path and your liege's Path. The only case where that could possibly work would be extremely close blood-relatives that walk identical or at least very similar Paths...
I am unsure how this is supposed to be solved (and it should be solved somehow otherwise the Empire wouldn't be standing, and all we'd have would be warring family/clans), but i suspect than rather than a systematic flaw in the feudalism/cultivation political system of the Empire, it's one to put entirely on CRX's shoulders. Or rather on Shenhua.
Hopefully there'll be a way to have CRX grow into a real ruler rather than merely a unrealistic idealist that dreams of an impossible system, and keep her position as Duke heir...

"I believe that everyone I'm responsible for can live happy and fulfilling lives being productive on my behalf, Ling Qi. To demonstrate this, I'm going to reassign you to a job you find unpleasant in the expectation of making that your life. Forever."

This is not how you build loyalty in your subordinates, Renxiang!
While this is an issue, imo there are two caveats:
One CRX herself is young and has previously proven can be wrong. Whether she really learned from it is clear in her words but remain yet to be seen in her actions.
Two, I don't think it's a permanent thing. I think it's more likely that it's what would help CRX the most right now, as right now what she needs the most is help to build a social network (,rather than digging for dirty secrets or knocking down enemies).

Last edited:
You know that material superiority thing ? You can kiss it goodbye, this is what it means.
Yeah, that's wrong I think.

She's more talking about things like the tax exemptions and those kinds of casual "perks" I suspect.

Like, unlike most lieges she actually has a direct interest in supporting our development and us rising high as her hand. In contrast look at the relationship between the Gu and the Han.

I think we're starting to see why CRX path might have been a poor decision in the long therm.
Not that any of the other paths didn't have their own similar issues, but vassal-hood is, was, and always will be, to put yourself under the orders of someone that will use you to realize his (or her) goals.
Considering how cultivation works, the further along it you go the less wiggle room you have between your own Path and your liege's Path.

Not my reaction, this reconfirmed to me that Renxiang is a worthy leader. I don't think you need to have a Way dedicated to an orderly society in order to live in or support that orderly society. Everyone is different and has different perceptions on the world, but that doesn't make it impossible for them to live together according to common rules.

Anyone know what CRX is talking about here?
To add to what others said, my mind went to the skeevy sounding deal she had with Huang Da with having female cultivators wait on him and things like where he thought she ought to help sabotage opposition so her council could do better.

Considering how cultivation works, the further along it you go the less wiggle room you have between your own Path and your liege's Path. The only case where that could possibly work would be extremely close blood-relatives that walk identical or at least very similar Paths...
I am unsure how this is supposed to be solved (and it should be solved somehow otherwise the Empire wouldn't be standing, and all we'd have would be warring family/clans), but i suspect than rather than a systematic flaw in the feudalism/cultivation political system of the Empire, it's one to put entirely on CRX's shoulders. Or rather on Shenhua.
Hopefully there'll be a way to have CRX grow into a real ruler rather than merely an idealist, and keep her position as Duke heir...
Not sure how big a deal this will really be. Almost everyone in the empire is someone's subordinate but that doesn't completely dictate how they go about their duty. We'll have more exact expectations than most in this high stakes position with us being retainer to a vulnerable heir but I expect that as we grow both of us will have more subordinates that'll allow us more freedom to work as we will.

We're gonna be James Bond. The most obvious spy ever but who is just so charismatic you invite them to your crime fortress to show off your death ray formation and are surprised when you find them skulking about in your crime fortress near your death ray formation

On a side note. Cai is talking about the sort of quasi legal system fuckery and nepotism style stuff when she says that you won't be getting things from her. Please don't flanderize things

We can certainly sideboard arts, but at best that takes care of half the cost of picking up the art. If you are lucky and/or plan things very well, swapping things in and out lets you get away with skipping the typical work needed to open or compress meridians - but no matter how good your planning is, you aren't going to get around the fact that train arts costs actions.

Yeah, we can do what we did with AE and discard an art entirely - but that means trashing all the time that went into developing it! We could have spent the time compressing meridians, or getting sect points (to be turned into pills that can boost base cultivation or our domain or what have you), or exploring.

Sure, it is not the end of the world if we pick a weak art for our sideboard where it is used once or twice a year for some small effect. Nor is it the end of the world if we practice an art only to discard it outright. But just because it is not the end of the world doesn't mean it isn't a waste. We only have so much time to advance, and even if we might be fast enough to afford throwing some of our actions away on dead ends, that doesn't mean it is a good idea.

It's better to 'waste time' realizing we don't want to use something than to dedicate ourselves to something that simply doesn't pan out.

It's better to 'waste time' on Arts we might never use to find good Arts to slot into our Domain than to let our domain languish with a muddle of half-formed ideas.

While we are in a hurry, we have quite a chunk of time that can be spent training Arts just to see what they do, or what their final lesson is before our Domain is narrowed so much we can't add too many new Keywords.

Half of the tech text is about how it can be used defensively tho. It's very much intended as such.

It's intended to protect the other musicians in the party, yes. But it isn't intended as an 'oh shit I have no other defenses up' button.

I mentionned them since the very first comment I made on the subject tho.

Point, but your comment about the Ji Rong fight is incorrect, because we lost initiative. If we'd had initiative, and used that Art first, you'd be correct... but in any situation in which we DON'T have initiative, it's worse.

Now, if we can get the art to the point that they spring out of our shadow reflexively, or if our Dodge skill evolves in such a manner (I personally want the Substitution variant utilizing both Wood and Darkness), then you are correct... to a point.

Against single-target attacks, and opponents who's Hit doesn't surpass our Avoid, and in a duel, it's decent.

That's three conditionals; three conditionals is two too many.

Not my reaction, this reconfirmed to me that Renxiang is a worthy leader. I don't think you need to have a Way dedicated to an orderly society in order to live in or support that orderly society. Everyone is different and has different perceptions on the world, but that doesn't make it impossible for them to live together according to common rules.

Even the most orderly society will welcome barbarians of their own, so long as those barbarians are protecting the gates of the kingdom against those other barbarians.

Is her working theory that in the future she won't have to provide people with material rewards in exchange for helping her out? Or is it that she can dial down Ling Qi's compensation specifically since she's now committed and no longer needs to be won over?

We'll be getting those material rewards, but she won't provide Extras - non-material awards, like having people under our sway NOT pay their taxes, etc.

Edit: From discord:

yrsillar said:
I mean your still going to get tons of resources and a stay on taxes and stuff
your just not going to get legal exemptions
or 'favors' which break the system in your favor and such

Last edited:
Is her working theory that in the future she won't have to provide people with material rewards in exchange for helping her out? Or is it that she can dial down Ling Qi's compensation specifically since she's now committed and no longer needs to be won over?
No mor tax dodges for favored vassals but if you hit your benchmarks on time and under budget you get a bonus

Back