Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Going for the dinner thing is the best bet. LQ really need to dial down her discomfort for social situations and trying to slow move it is just going to have her forget it and float of doing something else.

Better here, with someone at least not out to trip her up in a social situation, then some formal dinner with the sharks ready to strike.

"You know there was a more personal matter I wanted to question you about."

Ling Qi tilted her head back down slightly. "And what might that be?"

"It is my cousin," Bao Qian said with a frown. "She approached me the other day to acquire some seafoam jade, and wouldn't tell me what sort of project she was working on."

"Is that really strange? Your cousin is very private," Ling Qi asked carefully. An idea germinated in her mind.

Sixiang giggled girlishly in her head. Ling Qi kept her expression straight.

Oh my god.

"No, I suppose that is not particularly strange, though she is usually proud enough to brag with a bit of prodding," Bao Qian mused. "No, her demeanor was just… strange. She seemed very pleased, but not in the usual sort of vindictive or superior way, if you understand."

Ling Qi pressed her lips together in a thin line and definitely didn't blush. "I can't say."

He eyed her suspiciously, and she looked blandly back. "Well, I suppose I shouldn't pry," he grumbled.

IT'S HAPPENIIIIIIING.

Meizhen's got herself a girlfriend, hasn't she? Good for her.

Would rather not that LQ went "I will get better with social stuff" and a few updates later she backtracks again. Usually taking it slow would be better but LQ is so flighty by nature that such an approach will just be self sabotaging

Bai Meizhen: Smooth Operator is in full effect

[] Carefully accepted. She had to begin dialing down her discomfort somewhere. [Potentially, Information and improved relationship with Bao Qian, Ling Qi uncomfortable, potentially negative outcome.]

Can't let the BAI be the most friendly, gregarious person in our social circle. Plus maybe we'll get more info hinted on the Deeps from the family that regularly goes there before we take a dive with Su Ling.

Last edited:
Would rather not that LQ went "I will get better with social stuff" and a few updates later she backtracks again. Usually taking it slow would be better but LQ is so flighty by nature that such an approach will just be self sabotaging
There's arguably a difference between political stuff and dates. I'm still tempted by it, but putting it off until later is much more valid in this case than with parties and schmoozing.

[] Blurted out a request to spar instead, that helped cultivators understand each other, right?! [Lesser information and improved relationship with Bao Qian, Ling Qi spared a bad time]
Seems much more in-character

Going on a (double?) date sounds too fast to me.

I say LQ gets his measure as a cultivator, and just see how things work out from there.

Go go Meizhen, rooting for you!

[] Carefully accepted. She had to begin dialing down her discomfort somewhere. [Potentially, Information and improved relationship with Bao Qian, Ling Qi uncomfortable, potentially negative outcome.]
[] Blurted out a request to spar instead, that helped cultivators understand each other, right?! [Lesser information and improved relationship with Bao Qian, Ling Qi spared a bad time]

Leaning towards dinner date atm though I feel I might be a bit biased as my split second guess was the vote was gonna be date vs rejection and immediatley went 'DINNER DATE YES ALL OF MY YES' and then saw spar and thought 'oh okay that's fine too I guess', which had very different levels of enthusiasm :p

I am leaning toward the spar. I don't think the dinner would go badly but... Ling Qi just spent an afternoon doing things she doesn't like doing already. It's fine for her to have fun and not pile up more things she is awkward doing.

Ling Qi does seem to have a habit of getting comfortable with others through friendly spars.

While I'm torn on the issue, I think that playing it safer and blurting out a request for a spar is the right move at the moment. It'll give Qian some information about Ling Qi right off the bat so he can start thinking about how better to approach us. Furthermore, I don't want to give him the potentially bad impression if we are uncomfortable during the date, not for any fault of his own but because of Ling Qi's hangups.

Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight...

Also, WOOHOO Meizhen.

I advocate for the Dinner option, since we won't get in such a good option anytime soon. WE want Ling Qi to improve her own social confidence for the last few months and I think Bao Quian is not only safe enough to try that, he also has a vested interest in making sure both have a nice time, since Ling Qi noted the self interest being a major point why she is even considering a greater relationship with Bao Quian than just Aquaintance NR XY. Vote for the Dinner! Vote connection to the world!

Last edited:
The way I see it accepting could be either fantastic or disastrous, both of which are a win in my book. Drama, people! You don't grow by doing the same thing over and over again.

We could learn about him for the rest of the year and not get anywhere on the engagement front because the problem isn't with him, it's with us. We need to express why Ling Qi is so uncomfortable with it, if not to Bao Qian then internally, so that we can progress in figuring out what we want out of marriage. I don't think we're ready to decide who we'll marry while we don't even know what kind of relationship we want with our chosen husband. Do we seek love exclusively and hold out until we find a husbando that everyone loves as much as Meizhen? Or do we just want someone who will be accommodating to Ling Qi, who'll be a friend and who she might grow in love with in a largely political marriage? Our fiance doesn't have to be our soulmate. We can even decide that marriage isn't for Ling Qi at the moment, or ever, and wait out the Sect.

I personally don't feel like Ling Qi should fall for Bao Qian but I also don't feel differently for anyone else, or anyone for that matter. Ling Qi seeks connection but if the latest chapters have told us anything it's that her loneliness is what makes her interesting as a character. But either way we need to take that discussion before we can really progress in our relationship with Bao Qian and other suitors.

Last edited:
This is hard enough as is, I'm happy to interact in a way LQ's comfortable with. Better than pushing something she clearly doesn't want to do. Kids' getting to contribute is sweet, as is the idea of Bao/Bai relations going well.

Going for the dinner thing is the best bet. LQ really need to dial down her discomfort for social situations and trying to slow move it is just going to have her forget it and float of doing something else.

Better here, with someone at least not out to trip her up in a social situation, then some formal dinner with the sharks ready to strike.
Those two situations have almost nothing to do with each other though. In a formal dinner that's about politics Ling Qi will just grit her teeth and bear with it, and if someone can tell she's not enjoying it much then who cares.

In a date, that ruins the whole thing since enjoying it is supposed to be the point.

I believe in Ling Qi, she can definitely handle going out on a date. We can even bring our emotional support Xuan Wu as backup.

Last edited:
spar for in character reasons.
tbh, trying to stall the romance for as long as possible so I dont really need LQ to work on her socials. Keeping her focus on cultivation, family and her job is enough for me for the scope of this quest at least.

[X] Carefully accepted. She had to begin dialing down her discomfort somewhere. [Potentially, Information and improved relationship with Bao Qian, Ling Qi uncomfortable, potentially negative outcome.]

I believe in Ling Qi, she can definitely handle going out on a date. We can even bring our emotional support Xuan Wu as backup.
Moratorium for one more hour.

The spar is a cute idea but we need to push our comfort zone. And if it crashes and burns, that also makes for an interesting story, so I'm happy either way.

[X] Blurted out a request to spar instead, that helped cultivators understand each other, right?! [Lesser information and improved relationship with Bao Qian, Ling Qi spared a bad time]

Test run of our domain weapon 2.0 sounds nice, especially considering spelunking some time later. We should know what we can do now.

Last edited:
Those two situations have almost nothing to do with each other though. In a formal dinner that's about politics Ling Qi will just grit her teeth and bear with it, and if someone can tell she's not enjoying it much then who cares.

In a date, that ruins the whole thing since enjoying it is supposed to be the point.
Thing is, going by the Six event, LQ got this idea that any and all social situations outside her comfort zone involves people out to get her. Which has turned away people actually interested in getting to know her. (Which is why her habit of acting like she really does not want to be there at social gatherings has sabotaged any chance to get friendly acquaintances)

She needs to break out of the mindset that any specific social situations outside her comfort zone (sparring has been safe since FoD) is the devil. Both formal dinners and this dinner fall under the "outside her comfort zone" area. She could just keep on standing in her comfort area, but then she will never solve the problems she has and will keep on being a liability in social situations no matter what art and skill lvl she is got.

Thing is, going by the Six event, LQ got this idea that any and all social situations outside her comfort zone involves people out to get her. Which has turned away people actually interested in getting to know her. (Which is why her habit of acting like she really does not want to be there at social gatherings has sabotaged any chance to get friendly acquaintances)

She needs to break out of the mindset that any specific social situations outside her comfort zone (sparring has been safe since FoD) is the devil. Both formal dinners and this dinner fall under the "outside her comfort zone" area. She could just keep on standing in her comfort area, but then she will never solve the problems she has and will keep on being a liability in social situations no matter what art and skill lvl she is got.
Jumping into a date with someone she's not comfortable with yet won't help. Getting to know them first and then doing the thing might, but as of now this could make the problem worse.

Last edited:
Back