Something to note going forward:
Research
Academies 3/3
Education 3
Innovation 2

Recent Integration: +1 Consciousness, -1 Education, -1 Innovation (20 year remaining)

Recent Integration will wear off in five turns. Once that happens, our Education will be at 4 and our Consciousness will be at 2. If we can raise our Education to 6, we will be able to build a fourth Academy, which lets us research another tech simultaneously.

That's a pretty small investment for a fairly major payoff. We should try to get that done fairly soon.

Recent Integration will wear off in five turns. Once that happens, our Education will be at 4 and our Consciousness will be at 2. If we can raise our Education to 6, we will be able to build a fourth Academy, which lets us research another tech simultaneously.

That's a pretty small investment for a fairly major payoff. We should try to get that done fairly soon.
Really agree on this, someone wrote a list of our priorities in the POC thread and mentioned how important this is.

Basically, it allows us to grab the juicy industrial/research/social techs while still not being behind in military stuffl.

Last edited:
Sort of? To some extent that is what the more extreme forms of loan repayment restructuring can turn into, but the concept as we would think of it isn't there, while simultaneously there being other systems and institutions that can serve similar functions.
Speaking of such systems, are the Half Exiles still around in any fashion?

I just hope that this thread won't have a heated 100 page argument over something as silly as whether to use steam turbine or internal combustion tanks.

That is silly

We use both of course :V

The real question is how do we stop private automobiles from taking off as they did.

As for the Western slave trade, I don't see any answer except to subsidize the Sketch and Kielmyr (who don't own good cotton growing lands) to put up a blockade around Greater Khem to hunt down slave ships.
>diplomacy 8
>no other solution

We can legitimately do diplomatic actions aimed at promoting a Syffryn-wide abolitionist movement once the Tortuns stop killing each other quite as much.

I think there'd be a higher cost than would be wise to pay to raise it that fast. Doubling education in a generation at the direct cost of other aspects of our society is a recipe for falling apart.

I think there'd be a higher cost than would be wise to pay to raise it that fast. Doubling education in a generation at the direct cost of other aspects of our society is a recipe for falling apart.
What costs would that be? Obviously we need to raise SoL alongside it. Keep in mind, this would take 8 PW over like 5-7 turns. We gain 25-35 PW via regen during that time even before you factor in bonus PW from pleasing the Royalists.

That's not exactly a herculean task. We may be "doubling education," but it's easy to double something when you have barely any to begin with.

What costs would that be? Obviously we need to raise SoL alongside it. Keep in mind, this would take 8 PW over like 5-7 turns. We gain 25-35 PW via regen during that time even before you factor in bonus PW from pleasing the Royalists.

That's not exactly a herculean task. We may be "doubling education," but it's easy to double something when you have barely any to begin with.
Ah do you only mean the temporary value?

Automobile industries took off as they did through sabotage of the Public Transportation services.
We could ban lobbying, and make privatisation of infrastructure and utilities illegal. Create no-car zones in cities, and do urban planning around interconnected high density municipal centres with the goal of allowing as many people as possible to, for the most part, walk and take transit wherever they need to go. That will cut down on car ownership a lot.

But until city beautification, entertainment, and hygiene become sophisticated enough this kind of layout is gonna create a lot of epidemics and suicides I reckon.

Also note that those are all just mechanical costs. We still need to be wary of the narrative ones.
We could ban lobbying, and make privatisation of infrastructure and utilities illegal. Create no-car zones in cities, and do urban planning around interconnected municipal centres with the goal of allowing as many people as possible to, for the most part, walk and take transit wherever they need to go. That will cut down on car ownership a lot.

But until city beautification, entertainment, and hygiene become sophisticated enough this kind of layout is gonna create a lot of epidemics and suicides I reckon.
All those things have been part of Ymaryn cities since ages ago. Considering the cities were the parts we kept...

We could ban lobbying, and make privatisation of infrastructure and utilities illegal. Create no-car zones in cities, and do urban planning around interconnected high density municipal centres with the goal of allowing as many people as possible to, for the most part, walk and take transit wherever they need to go. That will cut down on car ownership a lot.

Ymaryn cities are already walkable and highly compact. We just need to keep it that way.

Also I doubt you would be able to ban lobbying and backroom deals.

Epedemics, yes, but that was mostly solved with proper sewer systems. Otherwise, thats basically what most cities were like before the car was invented. Shockingly enough, it worked pretty well. (Public transportation and such obviously made it work Better, of course.). And, for the most part, the rich people tended to live as close to the middle of town as possible.. and, until the invention of the elevator (and archetecture accounting for the heat issues, I'd imagine) the ground floor. (Of course, they Also, when rich enough, had country estates and commuted between the two on a weekly/monthly/seasonal basis, depending on the details. By train, once that was a thing.)

They will still need to be compact and walkable for people to be able to go to work. Automobiles will only exacerbate the problem of an overcrowding city.
Not necessarily. Silicon Valley has a problem with Urban Sprawl where Public Transportation is in the gutter because nowhere is walkable because everywhere is too darn far.

Back