Here's a peek at Eric's character sheet after he stoked his orthstirr, to help you make an informed decision on what to do.
How do the costs work?
Do they disable dice for a while (like "rest of battle" or "rest of turn")?

Lets not be a brat.
If we are a brat about it, we will just give them reason to not trust us.

Just get father and give him some reason why us coming with him is better.

How do the costs work?
Do they disable dice for a while (like "rest of battle" or "rest of turn")?
Costs are in orthstirr. If you get into combat I'll post the combat mechanics page.

If you run out of orthstirr in combat, you're not out of combat, you just no longer can use tricks and have to rely on more mundane things

Last edited:
[X] Try to convince him to let you go with him. (Hard Hugr (Silver-Tongue))

We are boosting our hugr with orthstirr

[X] Do as he says and find Steinarr. He should be gathering firewood close by. (Medium Hamr (Overland))
[X] Demand that he come with you to Steinarr. (Easy Hugr (Silver-Tongue))

Eric may need help, and we're not qualified for that. It's really annoying, but it's better than risking someone's death over such nonsense. Also, it should motivate the main character to train harder.

Gang up! Ganging up is the best skill! Except in xianxia world where one heavenly cultivator can brush aside a million kids. But the thief is probably not a heavenly cultivator.

I've decided to start talking about different aspects of Norse culture so that you can make more and better informed decisions.
Oooh, lemme riff on another one. From the mechanics post:
By receiving nid (essentially, shame or dishonor either from someone else's actions or your own dishonorable actions) you stand to lose orthstirr if you do not respond with fire and steel or through the law. Any amount of nid can prove catastrophic to a Norseman's orthstirr, so deny it at all turns.
There's a lot of weight to responding "through the law", which was an important thing and the Icelandic Norse had particular respect for it. Several of their sagas involve lawyer battles like it's Viking Ace Attorney. A contribution to this was that several of the Norse states had a sensible position called Lawspeaker, whose job was to memorize the entirety of the law and recite relevant articles at meetings of Parliament. This necessitated having a law short enough to memorize, which gave people more appreciation for the law as something learnable rather than something that sits in a hundred books lawyers will cheat you with.

In Eyrbyggja Saga, set on West Iceland, there's an incident where a guy is holding a wake for a boatful of people who drowned. The drowned people show up to the wake - as dripping wet zombies (A.K.A. draugr, revenants, "the returned") who walked out of the sea to attend. The guy holding the wake is a bit flustered, but tries to look at the positive side of things: must be a very good wake. Afterwards the zombies march back into the sea.
The next night, the zombies show up again like they own the farm, cold and wet, dragging mud into the house, hogging the good spots to sit around the fireplace. The protagonist gets very annoyed. He tries lighting a fire elsewhere, but the zombies follow every night. This saga being from around the time Iceland was converting to Christianity, the protagonist hedges his bets and tries every available approach to dealing with the problem.

Christian approach: Call a priest to bless the house, and perform an exorcism and a Mass.
Norse approach: Sue the zombies for trespass and theft of heat, and file a restraining order.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

[X] (Unlocked: Bold) Disregard his instructions and follow along, at a distance. (No Check)

The best way to save our brother from doing something dumb is to swoop in and literally do so.

[X] (Unlocked: Bold) Disregard his instructions and follow along, at a distance. (No Check)

Disobey and hope we dont get used as a hostage lol

The best way to save our brother from doing something dumb is to swoop in and literally do so.

What would we contribute in such a situation? He's both stronger and better trained than us. We wouldn't we be able to swoop in and do anything.

[X] Do as he says and find Steinarr. He should be gathering firewood close by. (Medium Hamr (Overland))

I don't want this thief getting away, but at the same time I don't want Eric to die. As such, I saw this as the best option.

What would we contribute in such a situation? He's both stronger and better trained than us. We wouldn't we be able to swoop in and do anything.
A two-on-one is exponentially harder to fight than a one-on-one. Unless the foe is far above the both of us an extra body is all we need to contribute, if we're willing to risk some injuries in doing so.

Plus, we still need to get into a fight this turn. This is a way to get that done without spending an action and picking a fight with people we care about.

[X] Try to convince him to let you go with him. (Hard Hugr (Silver-Tongue))

I just want to see our chargen trait being used

[x] Try to convince him to let you go with him. (Hard Hugr (Silver-Tongue)

A two-on-one is exponentially harder to fight than a one-on-one. Unless the foe is far above the both of us an extra body is all we need to contribute, if we're willing to risk some injuries in doing so.

Plus, we still need to get into a fight this turn. This is a way to get that done without spending an action and picking a fight with people we care about.

Eric has a weapon and xianxia magic. Trying to apply real world logic to such a fight is a losing battle. We wouldn't be able to do anyone that could deal with Eric, as they'd presumably have a weapon too or be so strong that they don't need one. Meanwhile, Halla has no weapon or no training. We'd just be a liability in such a situation.

The initial options can be passed down, they just 'skipped' your character. But yes.

edit: However, they're not limited by having to have flaws to compensate

You get to pick from all of your children when deciding who to continue as. So if your firstborn has a trait that you don't like or is missing a trait that you want, then maybe your next child will.

Also correct. Examples of these are 'Grettisblood' and 'Egilstongue'
oh gods, thats gonna be a fun vote.
Lets just avoid the CK optimization routine, please?

....though, we should get the luck option if we can.

Edit: forgot the vote!

Would you like a threadmark?
Sure, if you like. Though you might want to instead copy it to a post of your own so you don't threadmark a vote, and so you can edit it later. Take whatever you like from my posts here, it's your thread.

While I'm here, let me ask a few context questions about the quest's setting:
Is Halla's country supposed correspond to any specific place IRL? I'm getting "Sweden" vibes from it, but it might be mashed-up Norseland. Is it on the continent like Scandinavia, or an island like Iceland?
Whereabouts in the Christianization timeline are we?
8970 AD cultivation calendar presumably corresponds to 897 AD historical calendar, where the earliest known churches in Scandinavia went up about 830 and Denmark officially converted around 960, Iceland around 1000, but I dunno if you might want to restrict the Christians to the south for this.
Is the country ruled by a king, or parliament of goðis, or some funny cultivation shenanigans?

That last one leads into my follow-up ramble about the Norse and unusual law.
The Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) had kings most of this period, with occasional arguments about who was to be king, or multiple petty kings, but a general agreement that monarchy was the form of government. There was local variation, but if you round off to "medieval kingdom" you have the general idea.

Iceland in the Norse Saga Era operated rather differently: the law and governance revolved around goðis. A quick summary:
The position of goði is sort of priest-judge-senator. (The word is cognate to English "godly".) A goði runs a temple. Each commoner is supposed to be subscribed to exactly one goði, and pays a subscription fee to the goði. A man may change which goði he is subscribed to once a year, if he feels the goði is not doing the job right, or overcharging. The goði is supposed to give legal advice, and represent his subscribers in high court and at Parliament. The goði position may be inherited, given away, or sold, as a piece of property. One house of Parliament is composed of the goðis.
(Yes, this means parliament seats were for sale. It worked fine for centuries!)
Originally any man would make himself a goði if he convinced enough subscribers to follow him, but later the number of positions/offices for goðis were fixed at 36 goðorð with the increasing formalization of law, and later they added some more anyway. This was about 1 goði per 1000-2000 people.
Goðis, their advisors, judges chosen by the goðis, and the Lawspeaker made up the equivalent of legislative and judicial branches. There was no executive branch, nor official police. Courts and goðis merely delivered opinions in disputes. If you went to your goði and got an official verdict that Hrolf owes you fifty silver pieces for damages, collecting the silver from Hrolf is your own responsibility.
However, the official "Hrolf-owes-you-fifty-silver-pieces" verdict, like the goði seat, was also a piece of property that you could transfer or sell. If you had no hope of recovering the silver yourself, you might sell this verdict-debt to a bigger man or a group of them for forty-five silver, and then they'd work on getting their fifty silver from Hrolf. Also, the goði was usually helpful to his subscribers in finding or organizing community volunteer enforcement groups. You may interpret this as a polite euphemism for "lynch mobs" if you are cynical.

(I am not a historian, just an interested amateur.)

Last edited:
Is Halla's country supposed correspond to any specific place IRL? I'm getting "Sweden" vibes from it, but it might be mashed-up Norseland. Is it on the continent like Scandinavia, or an island like Iceland?
Halla is from Steinby, near Asvir, in the Petty Kingdom of Agder. Technically, Halla's Agder is the same Agder that's in Norway. So it's on the continent.

Pretty much every land feature or place I mention is probably not gonna exist in real life, though, at least in Scandinavia. I'm using names and general locations of said names. It's Xianxia-Europe. Xiurope, if you will.
Whereabouts in the Christianization timeline are we?
I'm planning on saving the wacky Christianization shenanigans until at least a couple generations into the quest. West Europe and about half of Central Europe have been baptized by this point in time.
Is the country ruled by a king, or parliament of goðis, or some funny cultivation shenanigans?
Agder is ruled by Jarl Oddr the Grouch, who deposed the old king but couldn't get people to call him 'king', as that had also been the old king's name and people thought it was weird to call the new king the old one's name while still using his actual name in the same sentence. So goofy cultivation shenanigans mixed with kings, I suppose.
(I am not a historian, just an interested amateur.)
Same here

Back