Well shit. And I can honestly believe house Ulatarn thinks its doing something good for the Mutated.

Can we do anything to support these villages? We'll need the medical school for the doctors, but can we offer help in security? Maybe offer to train some militia for them.

Well shit. And I can honestly believe house Ulatarn thinks its doing something good for the Mutated.

Can we do anything to support these villages? We'll need the medical school for the doctors, but can we offer help in security? Maybe offer to train some militia for them.
You'll get options to stop the development, alter the priorities of construction, the resources they recieve when starting, get your hands in the whole buisness, drum up support from the Healers and Merchants Guild, and can (as you have completed the building) send military protection their way on your coin.

Im not gonna say "i told you so" because i don't. But it was kinda predictable.

But in other hand the purified hit them with us so they would do a security purge anyways.

We need to go there and explain why its a terrible idea and at least convince them to change the bill.
Time to deploy our tactical weapon, mart with an spreadsheet.

Is Baron Esker in any position to put pressure on House Ulatarn WRT the Mutated Villages? Norqod only worked out as well as it did because we took an active role in ensuring that the QoL matched our basic standards. While I assume that we'll be applying our own pressure on House Ulatarn, and getting involved with the villages directly, having more voices from their fellow nobles on our side will be a great boon to our efforts.

My big problem with the villages is, does the climate and soil support even subsistance farming?

We should push Agriculture techs hard so we can at least given them a solid reason that would matter to the Houses.

Is Baron Esker in any position to put pressure on House Ulatarn WRT the Mutated Villages?
Yes, and he'd be pretty much perfect at doing so, as he had 2 BHVs in his territory before being converted. Since then, he spent his time cleaning up the horrific mess they were, with him being pretty much horrified 90% of the time he spent on the projects.
My big problem with the villages is, does the climate and soil support even subsistance farming?
Sandwheat does not care.
Sandwheat would look at concrete and snort that harder than dandelions.

Last edited:
In that case, I think if we did a major PR campaign about the horrific state of most BHVs and how Norqod was an exception rather than a standard example, by using Baron Esker's experiences as a foundation for our rhetoric, we'd have a much more beneficial outcome than simply trying to stop the construction of the new villages completely.

The common people are generally positive about the mutated villages because they have no idea what they are actually like, while the Mutated are freaking out because they are very aware of what the conditions in those villages are.

Last edited:
Y'know we could always just send them a codex on how to build and manage a Pilgrim style Village and avoid the whole mess that way.

I doubt they care. You don't get systematic abuse and neglect like that unless you are okay with it at the top.
If you go into it with an moralistic argument they will not give a fuck but we woud not go with the ever popular
( In SV) moralistic stance but rather an ultilitarian stance.
Is not "this is wrong" and more "this will backfire horribly, radicalize the mutated and non-mutated, and diminish both your power and region stability" this why the spreadsheet.

The how do people starve in those villages? Do they not know how to farm or do they get taxed to oblivion and/or raided?
Gangs taking their cut, raids, people intentionally setting fire to the fields, taxes in coin or work taking up a huge portion of their time/income, a near lack of any trade to replenish seeds if you had a bad year (not only in growing), a general lack of farming not paying out so people don't bother, and probably a few I am forgetting right now.

Is not "this is wrong" and more "this will backfire horribly, radicalize the mutated and non-mutated, and diminish both your power and region stability" this why the spreadsheet.
I think even that is too moralistic for the noble houses.

I also think house Ulatarn genuinely think it has a great idea and it will help the Mutated. We have all seen a government draw up plans saying it will help when it in fact does jack shit.

We have to show them why it will not work. Show spreadsheets on how the villages will fail and become economic black holes from which people can't escape. The nobles don't give a shit about Mutated feelings, but they might take hard data into account, hopefully.

PS: I wonder if Norqod will see an influx of Mutated that choose to move before they are forced to go to a BHV.

House Ulatarn has created a solution to all those problems! Modeled after the booming town of Norqod, the House will build several dozen Mutated Villages in the coming years. These are strategically placed to allow the inhabitants to take advantage of natural resources such as iron, coal, copper, stones, water, with trade and defense quickly following due to the abundant materials carried to the light of day.

Oh, fuck you.

Not. Fucking. Happening.

I've missed something important.

Who?

Hmm, I wonder if House Dall could sponsor a trading caravan to take a route through those villages? We should only have to do it for a couple of years before the villages are hopefully set up enough that they attract bussiness on their own.

I think the situation is best summed up as this

Ulatarn: I'm going to make a prosperous community for mutants to live safely

Most Mutants and the Pilgrims: OH SHIT THIS IS A BAD IDEA IT'S ANOTHER GHETTO, BATTLE STATIONS, RELEASE THE MARTIS

posting aside though I think a better alternative would be to make a mixed community of artisans or workers in niche categories so that they'll mix but won't turn violent because someone used the mutated as strikebreaking labor

Back