Why is Get to the Point still in the Misc Research choices, when we overkilled it with 3 successes this turn? And what did that give us?
You gained the Crossbow Pointed Reply (Special Ranged): +1 damage against armor, Special Rule: Accurate: +5 to ranged rolls, -5 to first melee roll for the equipped Unit, Ammunition for 15 Turns. 4.50 (6/6) Materials per Unit.

And it's still researchable because I forgot to delete it from the list.
I've missed something somewhere. What is 4S?
The 4S are the Stupendously Scholastic Scholars of Science.

...you can guess why I chose to abreviate their name.
Also - would metalsmiths abode decrease the cost for a steam engine, as it would be able to make more of it in house?
Yes, as would Melt and Pour.
And we talked about jackhammers as tools for building, but how applicable would they be to mining?
Very, at least another +4-10 for your various mines.

Last edited:
Should't the value of the jewel mine be 3d12+45? as half of 30 is 15 and its not a decimal value either.
I subtracted the added 4.4 material maintenance.

Oh, and now that we are using steam, what are the odds we can learn that coal can be refined into coke and produce natural gas?

You heat coal in a sealed vessel and this boils off the volitiles leaving basically pure carbon. The volitiles can be used as natural gas in stoves and lights. The coal becomes coke, hotter and more reliably burning and thus better for both steam engines and metal smiting.

Last edited:
Oh, and now that we are using steam, what are the odds we can learn that coal can be refined into coke and produce natural gas?

You heat coal in a sealed vessel and this boils off the volitiles leaving basically pure carbon. The volitiles can be used as natural gas in stoves and lights. The coal becomes coke, hotter and more reliably burning and thus better for both steam engines and metal smiting.
I'll add a project for that tomorrow, though it will not be very research intensive. Mabye one or two successes at most.

We'll likely get an honorable mention even if we lose. Sweeping all categories until the winner arrives is pretty damn good.
And you know the 4S engine is to them a curiosity, perhaps a challenge, but not industry. Our engine will redefign the Empire if we can produce 100 of it.

Looking over the list I noticed

[ ] Engine Assembly
The Tree is not suited for the industry needed to build your Fuur-Engine in any appreciable quantities, neither the forges nor the smelters. Norqod, on the other hand, can easily support such an assembly, allowing you to produce the engines cheaper while selling ordered ones. Well, once people are living in Norqod anyway.
(Requirement: Prepare Quarters, Dig Out A Marketplace
Turns: 8
Cost: 35 Materials, Upkeep: 12.75 Materials
Reward: Massive reduction to Assemble An Engine, 6d12 Materials to Technology Sales, massively increased prosperity in Norqod.)

I like the idea of "Massive reduction". We are a ways off, but we should totally go straight to this. Honestly I think we should not build steam engines yet. There are cost reductions to do first.

[ ] Metalsmiths Abode - (Expanded)
Humanity was born without claws or scales. So we forged them in the fire, hardened by iron and oiled by our blood. It's a good saying, but some Mutated with claws and scales find its implications insulting. At least you now have a smithy, so having to wait days for a new tool is a thing of the past. Adding smelters, various tools, and more space for some more smiths would allow you to work with more materials and intricate creations.
(Cost: 20 Materials, Upkeep: 7 Materials
Turns: 4
Reward: Lowered costs for all equipment, increased chances for all research, rolls with advantage for all melee weapons/equipment made of metal, can be upgraded.)

[ ] Learning: To Melt and Pour - (Metallurgy)
Another Artefact that, while not directly useful, can still teach much. In this case, how to make better molds to create tools and weapons. Things built like this won't be as detailed or of high quality as when made by a blacksmith but could help develop simpler parts or mass-produce items.
(Needed Artifact: Molds Of Binoculars
Chance: 75/65/55% for 1/2/3 Successes, Successes Needed: 2
Reward: Reduced Upkeep of the Blacksmiths Abode, Reduced costs for equipment.)

We should do both of these first

- also, can we potentially get a "hire workers" action to spend materials to build the Tree faster? A lot of the work seems like it could go faster with hired hands. Maybe something like the ability to run a second tree expansion for 10 materials per turn or something.

Last edited:
We are a ways off, but we should totally go straight to this.
I don't think so. I think we should build the basic four structures before thinking of doing this, if only to keep the village safe and running without issues.

Also @HeroCooky I'm confused by the archeology tab. It says our current expedition to SO-01 had 4 turn remaining while on the list it says SO-01 has 5 turns of artefacts. Did we roll badly for artefacts or am I confused?

Also, can we potentially get a "hire workers" action to spend materials to build the Tree faster? A lot of the work seems like it could go faster with hired hands. Maybe something like the ability to run a second tree expansion for 10 materials per turn or something.
Its less of a worker-shortage problem, and more of an organizational one. Technically, you can pump 3 extra actions with your heroes into the Tree, but not by hiring more hands. And you have Sandcrete to speed up the whole process.
Also @HeroCooky I'm confused by the archeology tab. It says our current expedition to SO-01 had 4 turn remaining while on the list it says SO-01 has 5 turns of artefacts. Did we roll badly for artefacts or am I confused?
You finished setting up the expedition last turn. It will get you artifacts for the next 4. The site has enough for 5 turns.

Then we should skip researching phnumatic tools and just see about comisioning some from the forge clan. It would speed up our building significantly.

What would be the cost for

[ ] Forge Clan Vanar-Feer - (1 Action)
- [ ] Made To Order

(Cost: Variable
Reward: Variable
Use: commission a work team's worth of phnumatic power construction tools.

Be?

Last edited:
Then we should skip researching phnumatic tools and just see about comisioning some from the forge clan. It would speed up our building significantly.
This would include much higher costs, as you would need to buy replacement parts and pay for maintenance for the tools. Researching them would include being able to make that yourself.

This would include much higher costs, as you would need to buy replacement parts and pay for maintenance for the tools. Researching them would include being able to make that yourself.
Yeah, but we can be sneaky and use the tools we buy as examples to make the research easier.

I don't view this as anything but a stopgap until we can do the research, but it would be a potentially useful stop gap. I would have to see the numbers on it to tell if it would be worth it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about having Martyris use his 2 actions on Too Much To Do, specifically, Printing Money - Smut With Penny Dreadfuls and Infiltrate Part 2 on the Church of Eden.

Smut with Penny Dreadfuls will not only make a good amount of income on it's own, it will increase the income of Consensual to the point where it is always making a profit. (2d4-1 instead of 2d4-3) I also think there will be some nice narrative effects/fluff with opening Consensual at the same time we start producing the smut.

Upgrading our Information Network in the Church of Eden is going to be essential going forward, as they will no longer be distracted after this next turn, and while we coverend our tracks enough to make sure they can't say we're to blame for all their recent troubles, we definitely made their lives hell these past years. Planting our spies as their finally settling down should hopefully mean they are less likely to be discovered as well.

I agree with @Fouredged Sword in that we should go for Metalsmiths Abode and Learning: To Melt and Pour next, as they will definitely help in reducing the cost and/or the upkeep of Engine Assembly. However, I also believe that we should Commission The Sandcrete Mixer from the Forge Clan this turn too, so Sandcrete will finally become economically feasible to use in reducing the actions needed for construction.

If nothing else, Dude freaking deserves a break.

I think we're getting to the point where we need to start thinking about getting franchising infrastructure in place. Expanding by 20 members at a time is reaching diminishing returns, and having to constantly expand our facilities to house them all is also slowing our growth. We our people to start founding more self-funding satellite groups, like that one village the priest went to.

If nothing else, Dude freaking deserves a break.

I think we're getting to the point where we need to start thinking about getting franchising infrastructure in place. Expanding by 20 members at a time is reaching diminishing returns, and having to constantly expand our facilities to house them all is also slowing our growth. We our people to start founding more self-funding satellite groups, like that one village the priest went to.
We need to get our primary village off the ground first. Part of the problem is we are transitioning from a compound to a village. Once we actually turn into a village we can expand outwards. The central compound will remain the central compound, but we can expand outwards with the people who flock to our village without actually being pilgrims. They may not believe as we do, but they will come because there are jobs and wealth. At that point we can hit a point of having the central core compound managed by the pilgrims while we turn over the running of the greater village to a democratic government with our founder as the figurehead noble ALA the British Crown. At that point our brute expansion will manage itself while the Pilgrim compound becomes a employment and wealth generator that's important. We will be the heart of the city we create, but we don't need to be it's spine or brain.

But right now we are trying to jumpstart the town in general. We need to get a critical mass of people and opportunity before the influx of people and wealth will become self sustaining.

There's also going to be a point where we will have to expand beyond Tessen. So operational bases will become a necessity.

Even before that, Local bases reduce the upkeep of all building within that city. We should put one in Mirn.

Something else occurs. Workplace safety in the industrial age was utterly nightmarish. @HeroCooky, could we have an option to research proto-OSHA protocols? Stuff like handrails, goggles, gloves, guards around moving equipment, etc. Even if we weren't a cult centered on the value of human life, we really can't afford to have any of our talented engineers mulched in a steam engine's gears.

Something else occurs. Workplace safety in the industrial age was utterly nightmarish. @HeroCooky, could we have an option to research proto-OSHA protocols? Stuff like handrails, goggles, gloves, guards around moving equipment, etc. Even if we weren't a cult centered on the value of human life, we really can't afford to have any of our talented engineers mulched in a steam engine's gears.
Or deafened by the bang of a reciprocal hammer. Sound causes a lot of damage to people who use power tools without proper sound reduction equipment.

doubles static Income by 50% rounded down
You mean increase it by 50%?

We should grab
[ ] Black Box - (Basic)
and
-[ ] Commission The Sandcrete Mixer

Engine can wait for a little while. For research we finish what we started and do
[ ] Learning: To Melt and Pour - (Metallurgy)
and
[ ] Electric Lances - (Electronics/Weaponry)
So we can attack TOP-03 next turn.
On archeology send an expedition to -TW-01, either 2 or 3 turns.
CoE should be on maximum alert both of our actions and Followers of Light

Also what the hell was that jump scene? The result of patial research of the crystal?

Last edited:
What would be the cost for

[ ] Forge Clan Vanar-Feer - (1 Action)
- [ ] Made To Order

(Cost: Variable
Reward: Variable
Use: commission a work team's worth of phnumatic power construction tools.

Be?
8 Materials, with 2.33 upkeep.
PD is already slowly teaching you the essentials, and the Forge-Clans themselves have pretty high standards in their own factories, which everybody else copies to some degree.
You mean increase it by 50%?

Also what the hell was that jump scene? The result of patial research of the crystal?
Yep, thanks for spotting that mistake.

And the jump-scene was supposed to have her say: "stress test the crystal." Overlooked that sentence when re-checking that scene. Sorry! (And yes, she tested it to be sure it could support her weight, with OD triple-checking the numbers.)

Back