Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Am I the only one who finds Schreiber's plight to be the most interesting part of this story? The American arc has interesting parts regarding popular opinion and trying to prove something rather illogical, but Schreiber's tightrope seems a lot more riveting.

Am I the only one who finds Schreiber's plight to be the most interesting part of this story? The American arc has interesting parts regarding popular opinion and trying to prove something rather illogical, but Schreiber's tightrope seems a lot more riveting.
I mean the guy's trying to save Germany not just from the monsters currently destroying it but the Russians who'll rape and pillage half of it. Along with his attempt to keep the girls a secret(out of the bag now) and deftly try and maneuver through Nazi politics it reads like a good classic spy novel.

Meanwhile for the US we know the wars going to end in a US victory unless the entire IJN Self-summon. So for me right now the most exciting thing I'm waiting for is when Enterprise turns into the Grey Ghost. I really wanna see how Sky rights that.

I kinda feel like that's the reason why I prefer something like Zipang than the Final Countdown. Adding a time traveler to the Allies is basically a win-more button. They're still going to win anyways, just slightly easier. An Axis time traveler needs to figure out if they can change the course of the war, and if they ever should, given their countries' track record of atrocities during the war.

I kinda feel like that's the reason why I prefer something like Zipang than the Final Countdown. Adding a time traveler to the Allies is basically a win-more button. They're still going to win anyways, just slightly easier. An Axis time traveler needs to figure out if they can change the course of the war, and if they ever should, given their countries' track record of atrocities during the war.
Any good Axis time travel story will have the Protagonist trying to change the course of the war AND figure out how to topple the government and replace it with something a lot less evil. Bonus points for figuring out a way to get the Wallies on your side and end the Soviets as well.

Any good Axis time travel story will have the Protagonist trying to change the course of the war AND figure out how to topple the government and replace it with something a lot less evil. Bonus points for figuring out a way to get the Wallies on your side and end the Soviets as well.

A Finnish time traveler would be really interesting too, as the government was and is democratic, but they didn't really have help against the Soviets asides from the Germans. Maybe trying to actually outright win the Winter War, that would cause serious change.

A Finnish time traveler would be really interesting too, as the government was and is democratic, but they didn't really have help against the Soviets asides from the Germans. Maybe trying to actually outright win the Winter War, that would cause serious change.
I mean the Finn's did the best they could during that and even then by the end Soviet manpower finally showed as they had breached the defensive lines. They got the best deal they could've and TBH if the war had gone on longer you're most likely looking at a Finnish SSR.

There's no way in hell the Soviets are losing the winter war.
The Finns could annoy them, yeah, but the soviets had such a stupidly large material advantage that it hardly mattered. All the military genius in the world won't save you when your opponent has 3x your army, guaranteed air superiority, and more than 100x your tanks.

Meanwhile for the US we know the wars going to end in a US victory unless the entire IJN Self-summon. So for me right now the most exciting thing I'm waiting for is when Enterprise turns into the Grey Ghost. I really wanna see how Sky rights that.
No. Not even that would save Japan. Japan doesn't even have a guy who has an inkling of how to summon a shipgirl, which the USA does. Ignoring that, even with every IJN ship being summoned, they still can't beat the USA for sheer production. At best they might extend the war, and that's it.

No. Not even that would save Japan. Japan doesn't even have a guy who has an inkling of how to summon a shipgirl, which the USA does. Ignoring that, even with every IJN ship being summoned, they still can't beat the USA for sheer production. At best they might extend the war, and that's it.
Furthermore, even if it's a instant win button, all it does is give Thompson / USN some ships to use that don't have associated steel hulls, once he gets around to it.

If Japan summons, so will the USN.

There's also the fact that the USN can replace any of its steel hull loses with more steel hulls. Japan does not have the resources to do that.

I think you're undesetimating how powerful shipgirls would be VS conventional forces. It's hard enough to hit a ship as is. Now distil that into the size of the average person but with all the firepower of the ship. Add in the fact they can go anywhere a human or ship could go and that's be disastrous for the US.

Plus IIRC not even Thompson is sure he'd be able to summon when they've sunk yet. That still might require the existential threat to humanity the Abyssals represent. Though with Pearl having happened he has a couple girls to try it out on now.

What makes Thompsons arc interresting isn't the big questions. Will America win? Well, duh. Rather, it's the smaller questions and his own, personal goals. Will Sara survive (and hopefully not be at Bikini once the war is over)? Will Little E have to become Big E (I dearly hope not)? Will he be able to do anything to shorten the war (and the suffering for everyone), preferably while also not giving the japanese shipgirls too many mental traumas?

I think you're undesetimating how powerful shipgirls would be VS conventional forces. It's hard enough to hit a ship as is. Now distil that into the size of the average person but with all the firepower of the ship. Add in the fact they can go anywhere a human or ship could go and that's be disastrous for the US.

Plus IIRC not even Thompson is sure he'd be able to summon when they've sunk yet. That still might require the existential threat to humanity the Abyssals represent. Though with Pearl having happened he has a couple girls to try it out on now.

Japan does not have the numbers to defeat the USN. There's also the fact that once Germany is done, the Royal Navy will be coming by to say hello as well. As will any French ships, and Dutch ones, and any other allied ship. Russia will also jump into this fight. Japan. Can't. Win.

So if Thompson, a person who has first-hand experience with shipgirls and summoning them can't figure out how to do that, what makes you think Japan will succeed?

Japan does not have the numbers to defeat the USN. There's also the fact that once Germany is done, the Royal Navy will be coming by to say hello as well. As will any French ships, and Dutch ones, and any other allied ship. Russia will also jump into this fight. Japan. Can't. Win.

So if Thompson, a person who has first-hand experience with shipgirls and summoning them can't figure out how to do that, what makes you think Japan will succeed?
First off let me quote my self real quick.
I specifically said they'd win unless the entire IJN Self-summoned.
Second off again you are underestimating how badly a shipgirl VS conventional ship fight would go. The fact you're trying to hit a target moving at almost 30 knots the size of a normal human is almost impossible even with the US radar advantage. That's not even accounting for MSSB. Add in the fact they're also human and can go anywhete they can the US production advantage wouldn't work in this scenario.

Second off again you are underestimating how badly a shipgirl VS conventional ship fight would go. The fact you're trying to hit a target moving at almost 30 knots the size of a normal human is almost impossible even with the US radar advantage. That's not even accounting for MSSB. Add in the fact they're also human and can go anywhete they can the US production advantage wouldn't work in this scenario.
I'll just quote my earlier post.

Furthermore, even if it's a instant win button, all it does is give Thompson / USN some ships to use that don't have associated steel hulls, once he gets around to it.

If Japan summons, so will the USN.
Even if it's an instant-win for all IJN summons... that just creates a lot of angry USN summons later on, if not immediately from self-summon. There's no winning this fight for the IJN.

The fact you're trying to hit a target moving at almost 30 knots the size of a normal human is almost impossible even with the US radar advantage. That's not even accounting for MSSB.
That's assuming MSSB doesn't work against them, in this case. It's possible that we could be operating on rules similar to Belated Battleships, in which even though one's shooting at a shipgirl, she's treated as a full-size vessel. Alternatively, we could be operating similarly to the anime, in which the ranges aren't much more distant than standard infantry. It's a situation we'll have to wait and see.

Back