Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Still plotting the next chapter.

Fighting temptation to work on a novelization because my muse hates me

The usual really

Also having my favorite author called shit, which is an oblique way of calling my writing shit because I write in a very similar (not identical, but very similar) way. Always nice.

(Anderson, the Destroyermen author)

Also having my favorite author called shit, which is an oblique way of calling my writing shit because I write in a very similar (not identical, but very similar) way. Always nice.

(Anderson, the Destroyermen author)
Who would call the Anderson a shit author? The Destroyermen series is one of my favorites, I'm reading Devil's Due right now.

In happier news:

Badass sub

"On 5 November 1942, Vetehinen rammed the Soviet submarine ShCh-305 in the Sea of Åland and sank it. According to Vetehinen crew members, she was on a night patrol searching for Soviet submarines, which stayed underwater during daytime but usually came up during the night to recharge their batteries. A contact was found, and after confirmation of an enemy contact Vetehinen launched a torpedo, which missed probably due to being fired at too short distance. Vetehinen then opened fire with its deck guns. A second torpedo also missed, but the deck guns managed to damage the Soviet submarine which by then had started an emergency dive. The Captain of Vetehinen, determined not to let the submarine escape, ordered his submarine to ram the other vessel which at last was a success – the "teeth" on the bow of the ship ripped open the Soviet submarine's hull and caused it to sink. Vetehinen suffered a minor leak from the impact but managed to return to its home port."

The Finns, man.

Agreed. The first time Stalin invaded, he underestimated the Finns greatly and his forces got seriously jacked up.
To be fair, part of the reason he 'got seriously jacked up' was because he chose a plan that resembled the German's sweeping advance through Poland. After all if the Germans could do it, the Russians could do it better!:V

Problem was is that unlike Poland, there aren't that many roads in 1940's Finland and with bad highly forested terrain. Didn't help that the Red Army did not have that much experience (at the time) dealing with winter combat (they learned though, oh lord did they learn). That plus bad logistics, spread out forces concentrated on narrow roads that the Finns could section off and kill piece-meal, limited ammo supplies etc, it was a complete disaster.

However when he went with the original, more boring plan another general had proposed (one strong trust up through the south to the Fin's capital) they won quite handily.

To be fair, part of the reason he 'got seriously jacked up' was because he chose a plan that resembled the German's sweeping advance through Poland. After all if the Germans could do it, the Russians could do it better!:V

Problem was is that unlike Poland, there aren't that many roads in 1940's Finland and with bad highly forested terrain. Didn't help that the Red Army did not have that much experience (at the time) dealing with winter combat (they learned though, oh lord did they learn). That plus bad logistics, spread out forces concentrated on narrow roads that the Finns could section off and kill piece-meal, limited ammo supplies etc, it was a complete disaster.

However when he went with the original, more boring plan another general had proposed (one strong trust up through the south to the Fin's capital) they won quite handily.
Also the difference between the survivors of the soviet purges of officers who were too green and lacking any kind of flexibility and initiative and the survivors of the german invasion who were a lot more capable and willing to use actual practical plans.

Last edited:
The Soviets also tried to half-ass the initial invasion on the assumption that they wouldn't resist. So there were pretty much no preparations to actually fight the Finns. After the initial catastrophes, the Soviets actually buckled down and bothered to prepare enough forces to overwhelm the Finnish defenders.

Also the difference between the survivors of the soviet purges of officers who were too green and lacking any kind of flexibility and initiative and the survivors of the german invasion who were a lot more capable and willing to use actual practical plans.

Like Marshal Budyonny, the old cavalryman, who thought tanks would not amount to anything, much less a replacement for horses. It was said that "he had a very big moustache, and a correspondingly small brain." He was the C-I-C of the Southwest Military District during the opening phases of Barbarossa, especially during the Kiev encirclement.

Last edited:
It was thanks to the Finns that the Brewster Buffalo got an absolutely insane kill-to-loss ratio; I mean beyond insane as in 33-to-1, which is incredibly amusing considering just how bad the Buffalo was. Some of it's nicknames included: Taivaan helmi ("Sky Pearl"), Pohjoisten taivaiden helmi ("Pearl of the Northern Skies"), Pylly-Valtteri, Amerikanrauta ("Butt-Walter" and "American hardware" or "American car", respectively), and Lentävä kaljapullo ("flying beer-bottle"). One Buffalo accumulated throughout it's entire career 42.5 confirmed victories, making it quite possibly the highest scoring airframe to have ever flown.

The Buffalo wasn't bad. Late-model ones where they overweighted the hell out of them were bad.

The Finns lightened theirs a lot, gaining back that early model agility. Buffalos were never fast, but the early models are very good turners.

The Buffalo wasn't bad. Late-model ones where they overweighted the hell out of them were bad.

The Finns lightened theirs a lot, gaining back that early model agility. Buffalos were never fast, but the early models are very good turners.

Yeah, the thing couldn't keep up with the Fiat G.50, then again Italian Fighters were known for being fast little devils but the early-model Buffalos could out turn the G.50 plus the thing had more firepower

How do you get 0.5 of a confirmed victory? An assist kill?

.5 kills are assigned when the responsibility for a shoot-down is believed to be shared between two aircraft, IIRC. Since it's basically impossible to tell whose machine guns got the killing bullet(s) in, half a kill is assigned to each aircraft.

Basically. Part of the problem with making a fighter carrier-capable is that the requirements get a lot more stringent--you need more operational range (because it's operating from a carrier and on the open sea), which means bigger fuel tanks, which means more weight. You need tougher landing gear, which means heavier landing gear, which means more weight. You need an arresting hook, which means more weight. You need a more rugged airframe, which means more weight. And you probably need folding wings, which means more weight.

Back