Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

I'm honestly just waiting for the Hunt For The Bismark to see if there's a British time traveler. See two people who think they know exactly what the other plans to do, and then doesn't and how they react to that would be very interesting to see.

Also I want Hood to not be blown up. She will always sail in our hearts!

so either this is pre december 5th and Germanyy's about to be reamed hard, or the generals really downplaying the winter offensive and its January 42. If its the later Schreiber is SOL big time.

if their getting thrown back the winter offensive is likely in full swing.

Well we know from the mention of Pearl Harbor, it must be after November 30th, 1941. IOTL, Tirpitz was moved to Norway on 17 January 1942 (also referenced) so my best guess is that it is around the mid-December '41 to mid-January '42 timeframe. Considering the speed of information transmission from the USA/Hawaii to Berlin, I think it is a safe assumption that it's after December 5th.

Oh no, it's worse than that. She's in the Baltic up around Leningrad.

In winter no less. Poor girl.

I'm honestly just waiting for the Hunt For The Bismark to see if there's a British time traveler. See two people who think they know exactly what the other plans to do, and then doesn't and how they react to that would be very interesting to see.

Also I want Hood to not be blown up. She will always sail in our hearts!

Hood's OK. She was damaged in a battle with the Terrible Twins (Gneisenau was sunk, Scharnhorst fled) and was sent to the USA for drydocking and repairs including fixing some of her deferred maintenance issues. In fact, Thompson used her to demonstrate that shipgirls were real to the CNO.

Bismarck instead broke out into the Atlantic, mauled a R-class ship and captured the convoy that said ship had been defending. After that black eye, she then did the Channel Dash to sail back to Germany.

while Bismarck underwent repairs before she joined her sister in Norway.
Bismarck/Tirpitz interaction soon! Yay! Wonder what Tirpitz will be like?
It might be they are performing shore bombardment on either Leningrad or Murmansk/Arkhangelsk. Interesting that the CL is doing shore bombardment while the CA is not.
Nurnberg has shallower draft, meaning she can get in closer to shore than Blucher. With all the fog and his ship's heavier displacement, Blucher's Captain probably doesn't want to risk running aground.

so either this is pre december 5th and Germanyy's about to be reamed hard, or the generals really downplaying the winter offensive and its January 42. If its the later Schreiber is SOL big time.

Judging by the comment about Pearl Harbor being a week ago, and considering IATLs Pearl happened on November 30th, we're now on December 7th. Assuming Barbarossa is running on the same timeframe, and so far it does sound like it is, that means the Soviet's Moscow Counteroffensive commenced two days before. The Eastern Front is gonna hang in the balance for the next three months and it's a coin-toss on whether the Germans manage to weather the storm as they did IOTL or the Soviets score their war-turning victory ahead of time.

Last edited:
What you were doing at the end there... I approve. But can you take it a step further and some how tie in Shinder?

Judging by the comment about Pearl Harbor being a week ago, and considering IATLs Pearl happened on November 30th, we're now on December 7th. Assuming Barbarossa is running on the same timeframe, and so far it does sound like it, that means the Soviet's Moscow Counteroffensive commenced two days before. The Eastern Front is gonna hang in the balance for the next three months and it's a coin-toss on whether the Germans manage to weather the storm as they did IOTL or the Soviets score their war-turning victory ahead of time.
actually Schreiber just mentions that Pearl happened a week ahead of OTL not that it was the week before.

Regardless, I hope people enjoy the chapter. I also hope I didn't lose many readers with this delay. I guess I'll see when the ratings start coming in, though the Schreiber chapters never do get quite as many...
I like the Schreiber chapters. They're a lot of fun and usually have a lot more tension in them due to the danger he's in personally. I feel that they have a lot more inherent danger in them because of it.

Regardless, I hope people enjoy the chapter. I also hope I didn't lose many readers with this delay. I guess I'll see when the ratings start coming in, though the Schreiber chapters never do get quite as many...
I prefer the Schreiber chapter, though that could just be because I'm more familiar with the situation in Europe and it's not just a story in a vacuum for me. Maybe if I was more familiar with the Pacific & the USN I'd get the same out of the Thompson chapters but I'm not and I don't so eh.

Last edited:
I prefer the Schreiber chapter, though that could just be because I'm more familiar with the situation in Europe and can it's not just a story in a vacuum for me. Maybe if I was more familiar with the Pacific & the USN I'd get the same out of the Thompson chapters but I'm not and I don't so eh.

Well to be fair, for most people looking at the Pacific/USN they tend to concentrate on all the action on and after Pearl Harbor and not as much in the lead-up to it. Also, to be fair, there's not a lot of drama in 'America realizes that war is coming, pushes through substantial shipbuilding and readiness measures over the objections of the isolationists' versus 'America attacked, next four years have one of the largest naval wars in history play out in the Pacific'.

Things like the Two-Ocean Navy Act - Wikipedia are not as well known even though it at the time increased the size of the USN by a planned 70%. Most of the warships that are iconic to the wartime USN construction like the Iowa-class BBs and Essex-class CVs actually originated from this piece of legislation. Of course IOTL on December 8th, 1941, Congress took that as a baseline and cut the Navy the proverbial blank check to build ships (here's a list of USN annual total ship strengths starting in 1938: 380, 394, 478, 790, 1782, 3699, 6084, 6768). Things should pick up when the focus shifts back to the Pacific for Thompson and Sara now that the war has happened.

Sky, I have to say you've done it again. That was a great chapter and I'm really looking foward to how things develop with Schreiber's plot. There are so many ways this could backfire terribly, but here's hoping. The political game is a dangerous one.

Also, Blucher bully is cute. Please bully more. Lange is good at it.

As he took off his coat, and wrapped it around Blücher's shoulders. Giving the confused cruiser a warm smile as he did so.

I have to wonder if, when someone does something like that, those who can't see the shipgirl just see a coat hanging in mid-air with the sleeves moving. At the very least it could trigger 'shipgirl vision' for those who were close to seeing her but not quite there yet (like it did with Hood when she caught that book).

Last edited:
I have to wonder if, when someone does something like that, those who can't see the shipgirl just see a coat hanging in mid-air with the sleeves moving. At the very least it could trigger 'shipgirl vision' for those who were close to seeing her but not quite there yet.
And then the girl vanishes the moment the coat is removed. Sanity slippage ensues.
Blucher! Wear a darn scarf!
You have boilers, missy. Nice, toasty ones. Use them.

Warm up your captain.

I have to wonder if, when someone does something like that, those who can't see the shipgirl just see a coat hanging in mid-air with the sleeves moving. At the very least it could trigger 'shipgirl vision' for those who were close to seeing her but not quite there yet (like it did with Hood when she caught that book).

Kind of reminds me of scenes from the old Disney movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I guess if someone couldn't see Blucher, Lange could tell them he was trying to beat the British in developing Substitutiary Locomotion....

And then the girl vanishes the moment the coat is removed. Sanity slippage ensues.

Shame the spirits can't quite leave their hulls, it would make for an interesting bit of practical humor to swap girls each time the coat is removed, so every time it's (repeatedly) dropped a different one appears.

"... how many of them are there?"

"Errr... how many u-boats do we have, again?"

A roughly twenty-fold increase in ~7 years. Damn. Knowing we ended WW2 with a massive navy is one thing, seeing the progression timeframe is another.

Yeah, here's the numbers I was pulling it from: US Ship Force Levels Broken down by category is even scarier. Fleet carriers went from 4 to 19 from 1942 to 1943 for instance when the Essexes hit the Pacific.

Also, IIRC, the US hadn't gotten particularly close to full wartime mobilization when the war ended.
IIRC, about 35% of the economy in 1944 was in a war footing. And '44 was when we started switching back to a peacetime economy.

Yeah you can see it taper off between '44 and '45 when the USN backed off the gas and started canceling the planned last two Iowas, the last four Alaskas, the Montana-class BBs, the last two Essex-class CVs and so on.

Back