Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Cross your fingers and hope that Bismarck make it to the US? Technically, U.S.'s only at war with Japan. Though I wonder if he have a back up plan if that failed.
Except, once again. GERMANY ISN'T LOSING YET. At this point, Germany is winning everywhere. Africa, Greece, and definitely in the Atlantic. Russia looks like it's on the ropes, and England is being pummeled, even if their morale is relatively unwavering.

Trying to take the Bismarck to the US at this point would be barratry, and likely get Schreiber shot by his First Officer.

Except, once again. GERMANY ISN'T LOSING YET. At this point, Germany is winning everywhere. Africa, Greece, and definitely in the Atlantic. Russia looks like it's on the ropes, and England is being pummeled, even if their morale is relatively unwavering.

Trying to take the Bismarck to the US at this point would be barratry, and likely get Schreiber shot by his First Officer.

Exactly this. The U-boats are throttling England and Germany controls Europe. The Kriegsmarine surface forces just got done giving the royal Navy a black eye in Bismarck's last sortie. Russia's staggering as the Panzers drive toward Moscow and Leningrad as well. Over in the Pacific, the Japanese just trashed the US Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor. To all appearances right now, the Axis are winning the war.

Of course, what Schreiber knows is that these victories have the seeds of ultimate defeat in them. The sleeping giant has been awakened and is being filled with a terrible resolve that will drown the IJN in steel. Likewise, with the US coming into the war, the Battle of the Atlantic will be lost against now the two most powerful navies on the globe, therefore England will not fall. On the Ostfront, Russia is down but not out and will stalemate and eventually break the Wehrmacht in an example of quantity beating quality.

That said, he can't easily persuade anyone of that yet.

Exactly this. The U-boats are throttling England and Germany controls Europe. The Kriegsmarine surface forces just got done giving the royal Navy a black eye in Bismarck's last sortie. Russia's staggering as the Panzers drive toward Moscow and Leningrad as well. Over in the Pacific, the Japanese just trashed the US Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor. To all appearances right now, the Axis are winning the war.

Of course, what Schreiber knows is that these victories have the seeds of ultimate defeat in them. The sleeping giant has been awakened and is being filled with a terrible resolve that will drown the IJN in steel. Likewise, with the US coming into the war, the Battle of the Atlantic will be lost against now the two most powerful navies on the globe, therefore England will not fall. On the Ostfront, Russia is down but not out and will stalemate and eventually break the Wehrmacht in an example of quantity beating quality.

That said, he can't easily persuade anyone of that yet.

As for the Eastern Front, it's still early for the Wehrmacht to be introduced to General Winter. The Royal Navy will be in for major losses from November 1941 to July 1942. It isn't until Guadalcanal in the Pacific, and Torch in the Atlantic, that the American industrial might will be felt on the battlefield.

As for the Eastern Front, it's still early for the Wehrmacht to be introduced to General Winter. The Royal Navy will be in for major losses from November 1941 to July 1942. It isn't until Guadalcanal in the Pacific, and Torch in the Atlantic, that the American industrial might will be felt on the battlefield.

Well, late-November/early-December means General Winter has arrived outside Moscow and the Germans are just grinding to a halt at the city limits. The Soviets have not launched their major winter counterattack yet, though. So it's highly likely that the Kriegsmarine and more broadly the people in Berlin are being fed the line that things are still going well.

Absolutely true that the American industrial might will take time to show up, but to Schreiber, he has to know that it is only a matter of time before it does show up in force. Granted, the bulk of the capital ships being built will be employed in the Pacific, but that is very cold comfort to Schreiber that he will 'only' be facing NorCals and Wasp versus Iowas, Yorktowns. and Essexes if the deployments correspond to OTL.

Well, the real fun will be spring. Winter is bad enough with soldiers freezing to death, in spring everything is stuck in mud. Everything. Some areas of Russia are literally impassable for armed columns during spring.

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned, but did they manage to convince King to immediately start convoys? I am reasonably certain that Operation Paukenschlag is still a go and if there aren't convoys running, the U-Boats will run amok all along the US coast. Early '42 is known as the Second Happy Time for a reason.

Well, the real fun will be spring. Winter is bad enough with soldiers freezing to death, in spring everything is stuck in mud. Everything. Some areas of Russia are literally impassable for armed columns during spring.

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned, but did they manage to convince King to immediately start convoys? I am reasonably certain that Operation Paukenschlag is still a go and if there aren't convoys running, the U-Boats will run amok all along the US coast. Early '42 is known as the Second Happy Time for a reason.

Mud in the spring isn't going to mean a damn, if you lose 700,000 troops because they freeze, starve, die of illness, lost in battle, or get picked off by partisans during the winter.

I remember Liddell-Hart's interview of German Generals post-war, about how many of them who were commanding units in Army Group Centre, were re-reading Coignet's account of Napoleon's retreat from Moscow, and how they recognized the more than frightening parallels to the situation they found themselves in.

Last edited:
Mud in the spring isn't going to mean a damn, if you lose 700,000 troops because they freeze, starve, die of illness, or gets picked off by partisans during the winter.

I remember Liddell-Hart's interview of German Generals post-war, about how many of them were re-reading Coignet's account of Napoleon's retreat from Moscow, and the more than frightening parallels to the situation they found themselves in.
This is very much true. German accounts often note that various German generals were seen with Coigent's account in their hands as they watch their troops freeze and die in the Russian Winter. Interesting fact, the Russian Winter of 1941 was a record breaker. Meaning that the winter of 1941 was brutal even by Russian standards. It was the worst winter of the entire war. The difference was that the Soviet troops were well-equipped to fight in winter conditions. The USSR had its troops equipped with winter equipment after losing thousands of soldiers to the cold during the Winter War with the Finns. Also the Siberian units, who were moved to the eastern front against Germany, were already equipped with winter equipment. Not to mention that the Siberian units were well trained in winter fighting and were not the ill-trained conscripts that made up the typical soviet unit after the huge defeats in 1941.

Last edited:
While I try to hammer the muse into cooperating...

AL!Enterprise continues to be cute. Imagine this as E and Halsey in the North Pacific if you want :p

One thing about Enterprise I would love to see is her relationship with another admiral who was with her a short but decisive time of her career. Spruance, a man that every work about the Pacific War describes as having ice water instead of blood running through his veins.

AL!Enterprise continues to be cute. Imagine this as E and Halsey in the North Pacific if you want :p

Considering her reaction, I can't hear her sneezing as anything but what you'd expect out of, say, a hamster.

Or this:

Not the most... dignified thing. :p

(It's not too bad, really, some ships sound like fog horns after hitting a Taco Bell. Sometimes, 'silent but deadly' really is the less embarrassing option.)

Last edited:
Chapter 43
Chapter 43
Miserable. Completely and utterly miserable. From bow to stern, Blücher was frozen. Men with hand tools chipped away at chunks of ice frozen to every part of her. Guns and turrets. Anchor chains frozen to the deck. Even her rangefinders were festooned with icicles. The German crew was hardly unfamiliar with cold, but even they were bundled up tightly. And still freezing.

Made one wonder how the men fighting ashore felt.

Or it would, were Blücher in any condition to care.

"Achoo!!"

As an explosive sneeze left her system, the cruiser was most assuredly not in any such condition. Blücher sniffled pitifully, a hand rubbing at her violet eyes. Her gaze drifting over to her Captain, who was studiously looking the exact opposite direction.

"Caaaaappppptttttaaaaaiiiiinnnn," the cruiser pouted, her voice stuffy and weak. "Can't we go home now? Pleaseeeee?" Fighting down another sneeze, the pink-haired girl grumbled a bit under her breath. "Norway was better than this."

Lange made no sign he heard the cruiser. No vocal sign, anyway. Blücher's watery eyes narrowed, when she saw a twitch of the man's lips. A very suspicious twitch of his lips, as his shoulders straightened back.

"Captain, don't make fun o--of--of--" Blücher couldn't finish her sentence, as a truly massive sneeze flew from her. A roar from her foghorn joined it, sending her crew scattering in confusion...even as pieces of ice fell crashing down on her deck. One enterprising sailor even jumped over the railing by a flak nest and caught a piece of ice in his hands as he fell.

That one was going to get a good drink later on.

For his part, Lange gave up on hiding his amusement. Deep chuckles rumbled up from his chest, as the dark haired officer turned his smile fully on his cruiser. An amused smirk, really. "Do you think you scared the birds enough, Blücher? Perhaps you should try louder next time?"

"Ve--very funny," the miserable girl mumbled back. Her pale hands brought her deep-red scarf up to her face, rubbing at her nose. Her face was a brighter pink than her hair, flushed by both cold and embarrassment. More so the former, to be fair. "You try having ice all over your body and tell me how y--you feel!"

"Oh I would, but I'm quite warm. Thank you for caring about your dear Captain, Blücher." The officer's smirk grew ever more amused. His own hands were firmly held in warm pockets, of a thick coat. Those poor fools in their trenches and tanks were freezing to death.

But, damnit, the Kriegsmarine actually cared about their officers! Just not their ships, apparently, as Blücher clutched her arms to her side. Perhaps a golden miniskirt and a sleeveless top wasn't the smartest clothing choice for this kind of weather? Who knew?

I thought I was done with the cold after Norway. Grumbling to herself, the pink-haired girl pulled her arms closer to her chest. Practically hugging herself now, she sent her Captain a huge pout. "Captain, can we at least go somewhere warmer?"

While a smile remained on his face, Lange shook his head. His smirk finally falling away, to be replaced by a semi-serious look. "You know we can't, Blücher."

"But why..."

That complaint was said in such a tiny, childish voice that Lange couldn't help but place his hand on the suffering cruiser's head. And give it a firm pat, ignoring the way it deepened her pout and blush alike.

"Our mission is out here, and you know that as well as I do." Giving one more pat, Lange removed his hand. His gaze trailing out over the foggy sea, to the blurred form of Nürnberg in the distance. The occasional flash of light the only sign that she was firing her guns at the shore. "Or would you rather be in port, having the English bomb us day and night?"

Despite herself, Blücher shuddered a little at the thought. "No...no I wouldn't be."

"Then you know why we're out here, and why you're frozen solid." Lange's deep voice held a trace of amusement once more, though it didn't last. Letting out a deep breath- that quickly fogged over in the cold air -the Captain turned away from the deck and began pacing the bridgewing. Deep in thought, as he looked at Blücher and her crew alike. "A better question is what we'll do to help the Admiral. You have any luck with the rest of the crew yet?"

Blücher sniffled a bit, her pale and very bare legs carrying her alongside her Captain. Moving at least kept her a little more warm. "Not really. I don't think they care about me enough. Inconsiderate little..."

As his cruiser grumbled, the Captain laughed at her almost...affronted reaction. "I feel as if I should point out that you have tossed a member of the crew overboard. What if Emden hadn't been there to pick him up?"

"He would have deserved it!" Blücher did not whine. Her violet eyes did glare though. "He did deserve it. The SS are all monsters after all."

Lange stopped moving long enough to kick a chunk of ice over the side, where it crashed down to the deck and drew muffled curses from the men on cleanup duty. Chuckling a bit at that, the Captain looked over his shoulder at the pink-haired girl by his side. "Did he though? And are they?"

"Captain?"

At the confusion in the girl's voice, Lange could only sigh. "Look, Blücher. My wife is at constant risk, all because of a little bit of Jewish history. I have every reason to hate the SS--"

"Then I'm right!" The cruiser was quick to declare, triumph in her violet gaze. "They are monsters!"

"--but that doesn't mean I don't know there are still good men in the SS." The Captain finished his sentence, raising an eyebrow at the way Blücher tugged her scarf over her mouth again. "Every organization can have some good men who are being misled."

It was his hope that this would get through to Blücher. She had a very black-and-white view of war. The Admiral was right, and everyone else was wrong. He couldn't really deny hating the SS himself.

He did live in constant fear that he would lose his wife.

However, he wasn't going to tar every German with the same brush. He couldn't. Some of his lifelong friends had joined, and he could hardly convince himself that all of them were evil men who had hid it from him. He liked to think he was a better judge of character than that. Or so Lange told himself. If he was actually right about them or not...well. That was a question for a different time.

As he took off his coat, and wrapped it around Blücher's shoulders. Giving the confused cruiser a warm smile as he did so.

"This being said, I was amused when you tossed that man overboard. I've wanted to do it myself more than once." Grinning at the girl's triumphant expression, Lange patted her shoulder. "Now if only he had drowned so I didn't have to listen to all his complaining...you know how much work that is?"

"I'm sure you're perfectly alright, Captain," Blücher sent the same smirk he had worn right back at him. She lifted her pink-haired head up imperiously, staring down her bright red nose at the older man. "If I ha--have to suffer like this, so do you!"

Lange could only laugh out loud, shaking his head at the girl's antics. She was certainly a handful!

Now, if only we can figure out how to get her off this ship. I'm sorry Admiral, but you need all the help you can get...

Gustav Schreiber shook his head in disbelief, "You can hardly be serious, can you?"

The old man's face was scrunched up in frustration, the lines across it growing ever deeper. He knew he had more lines since the last time he had seen this man, and the time-traveler could firmly state the man across from him looked older as well. And yet, Hans Oster was no worse for wear than he had been last. Despite being the very closest thing to a 'leader' the resistance in the Heer had.

"I assure you, I am." Oster took a sip from the tea in front of the men, leaning back in his richly upholstered chair. It had been his suggestion to hold this meeting in such an informal place as the General's hunting lodge. It helped remove suspicion if he was meeting with the 'war hero' while Bismarck underwent repairs before she joined her sister in Norway.

It didn't make it any less strange to see Oster set his cup down and smile thinly when he continued speaking. "What you are asking is madness, Herr Schreiber. Even for a man of your...stature. I'm sure you know you've set our plans back even further by your victory over that convoy and returning Bismarck home right under the nose of the Royal Navy."

Recreating the Channel Dash was not one of Schreiber's prouder moments. However, he knew staying in France was suicidal. So he had...done all he could. He needed to be closer to home.

That it allows me to intercept supplies to the Soviets is a secondary bonus. Much as I am loathe to admit it, even to myself.

Shaking his head, the Admiral stared at the General and began his counterpoint, "And you know that we have no choice. If we don't begin planning for a successor government now, it will not matter if we ever unseat the Führer." Schreiber clenched his hands tightly, his grip shaking slightly. "The British, and now the Americans, will never support us if we don't present a unified front."

"You aren't wrong." Oster sighed deeply, placing his tea back on the desk. The General leaned back, his hard featured face softening slightly. The deep furrows in his brow refused to fade, however. "I can see where you are leading me, Admiral. You are not quite as good at this game as you may think you are."

No, I am far better than you believe me to be. Schreiber returned the sigh, frowning now. "Then you understand how dangerous it is to allow the situation to continue as it is?"

Placing his hands on the desk, Oster leaned forward. Dark eyes stared into Schreiber, set in an imperturbable face. Oster never showed much real emotion in these meetings and had never once raised his voice. In that regard, at least, Schreiber knew he was outmatched. There was a reason this man had been as successful in the past as he had been.

"Between what you have done to the English and the successes in the East- I do believe Rommel just took a Russian army prisoner -it is harder now, than ever, to contemplate a coup." The slightly older man bored into Schreiber, not once letting up. Oster was soft spoken, but he rarely stopped before getting his point across. "Most of the Generals, even including those who are of like mind to us, are unwilling to do anything. The Russians have pushed us back, but it seems to be a temporary setback at most."

"It won't be." Schreiber muttered darkly. Flashes of men with oddly shaped helmets and Kalashnikov rifles slung over their shoulders flashed through his mind. He ruthlessly stamped down on the images.

If Oster noticed his reaction, the man didn't show it. "Perhaps. Even so, our support in the OKW is weaker than it has ever been, Herr Schreiber. If we moved now, it is entirely possible we would all be killed as traitors and the war would continue. Even if we succeeded in removing the entire leadership of the Führer's government."

"I am not suggesting that," Schreiber grimaced at the thought. It had occurred to him more than once. He had kept himself from moving against Hitler with the reminder that doing it before the man lost his 'touch' was only going to get him killed.

It was the only way he was able to stomach being near the man.

Sucking in a breath, the Admiral leaned back in his own plush chair. Nicer than any he had ever had himself...a reminder that he was working with the upper crust of pre-war German society, even if Oster didn't have a 'von' on his name. A bitter pill in its own right.

"What I hope to do, is connect our groups." Holding his hands up, the Admiral brought a finger down. "The Abwehr." Another finger followed. "The Generals in the Heer." A third. "The civilian groups." A fourth. "And the Kriegsmarine."

A sigh answered him, accompanied by a slow nod. "A reasonable goal to have, yet we have remained secure by doing the opposite, Herr Schreiber." It was the General's turn to hold up a hand, continuing their little sparring match as the sun shone thin beams through a covered window.

Those beams shadowed Oster's face, giving him an almost...dark...expression.

"The Gestapo has flaws. The SS has flaws. However, informants are everywhere. Tying our nets together only risks creating more leaks. For every man we contact, a dozen would inform on him. We have survived by avoiding contact." The Abwehr officer frowned deeply. "If a spy should find his way in, and implicates Beck...what then? Or perhaps a spy implicates your Captain on Bismarck. Would you trust him with your life?"

There was no hesitation. "No, I wouldn't."

Schreiber just did not know enough about Lindemann to trust him. He had taken a large enough risk with Lange, and thanked God every day it had not come back to hurt him.

"Of course. Just as I cannot trust some of the Communist groups." Oster's lip curled now, a very definite sign of distaste for the Communists. An expression that didn't vanish as he stood up and began to walk to the window. "I hardly even trust Goerdeler, most of the time."

With the man's back turned to him, Schreiber allowed a disgruntled look to flit across his face. This was what the Nazis had done to Germany. What the Soviets would do to Germany, if they ever occupied the nation. Made it where no one could trust anyone. Where every man could sell you out for a chance to get up in the world, or just to protect his own family. Or for something as selfish as money.

Schreiber hated it. He hated that this was what had become of the nation he loved. He hated that he couldn't save the country without working with men like this. He hated...he hated...

As quick as it came, the look vanished. His shoulders slumped down. There was no other choice, if his other plan did not work. He could only hope it did, while he continued to try to work his own path through the tangled web that was the German Resistance. At least he knew exactly who he could trust, even if he could never hope to remember all their names.

Oster...Canaris...Beck...Goerdeler...

"Now, Admiral Schreiber," still facing the window, Oster spoke up again. In a hard voice. "I have a good judgement on the Heer and Luftwaffe. The Kriegsmarine, however, I am not so certain. You claim that you have support."

Turning back around, Oster stared at Schreiber with narrowed eyes.

"However, how do you intend to deal with Raeder? He will never betray the Führer."

A thin smile crossed Schreiber's face, "That, my friend, I have no worries about. It is little secret that the Führer trusts me more than he trusts Raeder. I am confident I can use that."

Oster returned the smile, "Oh?"

"Let me work with the Navy, Herr Oster, and you with the Abwehr. Or was all that talk for nothing?" Schreiber raised a challenging eyebrow, blue staring into brown.

There was silence in the room, as the two men stared at the other. Silence...until Oster chuckled lightly, shaking his head in clear amusement. "I see you are better at this than you act, Gustav."

Schreiber let his smile fade, replaced by his own chuckle. "Indeed. Now, there are two subjects you should be aware of."

"Hmm?" Oster returned to his seat, whatever tension in the room vanishing as the man poured more tea.

"First, I have a connection in the British government." Schreiber almost relished the way Oster's hands shook for a second, before the man's iron self-control reasserted itself. The reaction was worth the stress. To fluster a man as hard to read as Hans Oster.

Placing the kettle down, Oster's attention was lazer-focused on his counterpart once more. "I see...and you kept this a secret? I understand the Abwehr has...flaws. Most put in there intentionally. However, this is quite a surprise, my friend."

Of course it was, considering that connection had been made through Bismarck.

"I am still working at convincing them to aid us," Schreiber clarified, before the other man got any ideas. "However, you will find not everyone in London is blind to our efforts. For all that that fat cigar-smoker says that he hates us, he would jump at the chance to keep the Soviets out of Western Europe all the same."

Even the hard-bitten Oster couldn't stop a snort at that description of Winston Churchill. It wasn't exactly inaccurate.

"As for how I made the connection...that is something I can't tell you. Though I imagine you will find out soon enough."

Schreiber's eyes lost their focus, as he remembered the rumors circulating about the Americans. The attack on Pearl Harbor...a week early and no matter how the Japanese tried to hide it, much worse for them. If nothing else, he doubted the Americans were lying about the damage they did. More importantly than that...they were horrible at hiding rumors. They probably let a few out because it was so unbelievable to just about everyone and would make people stop looking. Like those alien reports in the future.

He was not everyone.

Ship girls. If this is true, I can only wonder how my actions caused this. Smiling inwardly, Schreiber considered his situation. Yet, it is also helpful. It will be easier to sell my own situation to skeptics when this gets out.

"It's a shame you won't join the Abwehr, Admiral," Oster's voice was still cold, but there was an undercurrent of warmth now. "You would be quite an asset."

The Admiral waved his hand, "I am perfectly content where I am, thank you. Now..." Taking a sip of his own tea, Schreiber closed his eyes and prepared for his second bit of news.

It was only when the warm liquid soothed his throat, that the Admiral opened blue eyes and spoke.

"Secondly, I have begun to work with the Resistance groups in other nations." Schreiber would relish the gobsmacked look on Hans 'no reaction' Oster's face for the rest of his life. "Don't give me that look. You are acting to save the Jews as well, and that is all I am doing. I do believe another operation will be taking place in Amsterdam soon enough..."

And I hope you know what you are doing, old friend.

And there we go.

This fought me for several reasons.

1. It is hard to write stuff like this and make it believable.

2. It is equally hard to find motivation for KC stuff these days.

3. Things kept getting in the way.

Regardless, I hope people enjoy the chapter. I also hope I didn't lose many readers with this delay. I guess I'll see when the ratings start coming in, though the Schreiber chapters never do get quite as many...

(already working on the next one. That will be the 'Ground level' of the Resistance, if you will. Like I said, next couple are German chapters)

Miserable. Completely and utterly miserable. From bow to stern, Blücher was frozen. Men with hand tools chipped away at chunks of ice frozen to every part of her. Guns and turrets. Anchor chains frozen to the deck. Even her rangefinders were festooned with icicles. The German crew was hardly unfamiliar with cold, but even they were bundled up tightly. And still freezing.​
Welcome to intercepting arctic convoys.
Made one wonder how the men fighting ashore felt.
Freezing to death by the thousands.
At the confusion in the girl's voice, Lange could only sigh. "Look, Blücher. My wife is at constant risk, all because of a little bit of Jewish history. I have every reason to hate the SS--"

"Then I'm right!" The cruiser was quick to declare, triumph in her violet gaze. "They are monsters!"

"--but that doesn't mean I don't know there are still good men in the SS." The Captain finished his sentence, raising an eyebrow at the way Blücher tugged her scarf over her mouth again. "Every organization can have some good men who are being misled."
... yeah, don't let anyone on News and Politics hear that Lange.
It didn't make it any less strange to see Oster set his cup down and smile thinly when he continued speaking. "What you are asking is madness, Herr Schreiber. Even for a man of your...stature. I'm sure you know you've set our plans back even further by your victory over that convoy and returning Bismarck home right under the nose of the Royal Navy."

Recreating the Channel Dash was not one of Schreiber's prouder moments. However, he knew staying in France was suicidal. So he had...done all he could. He needed to be closer to home.

That it allows me to intercept supplies to the Soviets is a secondary bonus. Much as I am loathe to admit it, even to myself.
So that's his angle, and the issue with said angle.
I do believe Rommel just took a Russian army prisoner -
So no North African adventures?
The Russians have pushed us back, but it seems to be a temporary setback at most."
Yeah no. Ya'll be fucked.

The problem with Lange's view here, imo, is that the longer they are surrounded by the atmosphere of the SS, the greater the odds of them changing from misled good men into True Believers (and monsters). On a lighter note, Blucher's discomfort of the Arctic waters is amusing to me. She ought to have chosen better clothes, heh.

And I liked reading the clash of wits and shared scheming between Schreiber and Oster. Nice update!

Yeah no. Ya'll be fucked
I suppose I can't blame then for optimism. However, they are soon to learn what Napoleon did, to both his and their folly.

hey, an update. that means we can cut back on Bully the Sky game for the next few days. though, Sky, do remember, we have pitchforks, pasta sauce and lots of noodle to cook you in.
and Blucher, arctic expeditions require more clothes then anti-fouling red panties, a mini skirt and a tank top. go see if supply cant get you a foul weather jacket. though, the captains bed i am sure is quite warm.

Welcome to intercepting arctic convoys.
"Our mission is out here, and you know that as well as I do." Giving one more pat, Lange removed his hand. His gaze trailing out over the foggy sea, to the blurred form of Nürnberg in the distance. The occasional flash of light the only sign that she was firing her guns at the shore. "Or would you rather be in port, having the English bomb us day and night?"

It might be they are performing shore bombardment on either Leningrad or Murmansk/Arkhangelsk. Interesting that the CL is doing shore bombardment while the CA is not.

"I assure you, I am." Oster took a sip from the tea in front of the men, leaning back in his richly upholstered chair. It had been his suggestion to hold this meeting in such an informal place as the General's hunting lodge. It helped remove suspicion if he was meeting with the 'war hero' while Bismarck underwent repairs before she joined her sister in Norway.

So Bismarck and presumably Blucher and Pringles made it back to Germany and Bismarck is under repair probably in Hamburg or Kiel. I bet she's unhappy about that, although as Schreiber said, he had no choice. Also Tirpitz is in Norway now, so probably the RN/USN will commit a strong surface force to base out of Scapa Flow to counter them and cover the Arctic convoys.

"As for how I made the connection...that is something I can't tell you. Though I imagine you will find out soon enough."

Schreiber's eyes lost their focus, as he remembered the rumors circulating about the Americans. The attack on Pearl Harbor...a week early and no matter how the Japanese tried to hide it, much worse for them. If nothing else, he doubted the Americans were lying about the damage they did. More importantly than that...they were horrible at hiding rumors. They probably let a few out because it was so unbelievable to just about everyone and would make people stop looking. Like those alien reports in the future.

He was not everyone.

Ship girls. If this is true, I can only wonder how my actions caused this. Smiling inwardly, Schreiber considered his situation. Yet, it is also helpful. It will be easier to sell my own situation to skeptics when this gets out.

Well that tears it. Although I think we can blame Utah for spilling the proverbial beans.

Obviously has not twigged to Thompson's existence and impact yet, as well.

I suppose I can't blame then for optimism. However, they are soon to learn what Napoleon did, to both his and their folly.
Well, they may have some valid reason to be optimistic. We're still in 1941. Hitler hasn't gone off the deep end and demanded his own 'not one step back', so the traditional german flexible defense is still on the table. Additionally, Germany still has a good amount of reserves, while the USSR's military is still getting itself back together. This may have been the germans losing the Battle of Moscow.

But if it is, then Hitler's about to start running the ship himself.
Which will lose the war.

I'm waiting for that moment when one of the time travelers realizes that there is another one. Right now, I'm going with it being Thompson, who might hear a report about Bismarck's message to the R class.

Blucher's discomfort of the Arctic waters

Oh no, it's worse than that. She's in the Baltic up around Leningrad.

So no North African adventures?

Actually I'm handling the North African front. Basic overview, Rommel was initially first choice for North Africa, but his friend General List asked him to help out in Yugoslavia and Greece as a more prestigious job. OKW decided to send their second pain in the ass instead, and Hitler approved. So Guderian got sent to North Africa instead, with Hans Speidel as his logistics chief. Guderian, who tended to pay more attention to the limits of his logistical train than Rommel historically, basically retook Benghazi but never besieged Tobruk. He remained content to conduct nuisance raids, trying to get Wavell to attack instead.

Last edited:
"He would have deserved it!" Blücher did
If he was enlisted, that's a bit much, if he was an officer, he got off easy going in the drink and Schreiber needs to tell Blutcher about that one part of hunt for red October.
"Between what you have done to the English and the successes in the East- I do believe Rommel just took a Russian army prisoner -it is harder now, than ever, to contemplate a coup." The slightly older man bored into Schreiber, not once letting up. Oster was soft spoken, but he rarely stopped before getting his point across. "Most of the Generals, even including those who are of like mind to us, are unwilling to do anything. The Russians have pushed us back, but it seems to be a temporary setback at most."
so either this is pre december 5th and Germanyy's about to be reamed hard, or the generals really downplaying the winter offensive and its January 42. If its the later Schreiber is SOL big time.
Placing the kettle down, Oster's attention was lazer-focused on his counterpart once more. "I see...and you kept this a secret? I understand the Abwehr has...flaws. Most put in there intentionally. However, this is quite a surprise, my friend."
well you did miss a british spy running your own spy school and didn't notice your entire british spy ring turning on you, so flaws might be a bit generous.
Well, they may have some valid reason to be optimistic. We're still in 1941. Hitler hasn't gone off the deep end and demanded his own 'not one step back', so the traditional german flexible defense is still on the table. Additionally, Germany still has a good amount of reserves, while the USSR's military is still getting itself back together. This may have been the germans losing the Battle of Moscow.

But if it is, then Hitler's about to start running the ship himself.
Which will lose the war.
if their getting thrown back the winter offensive is likely in full swing.

Back