Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Maybe Ari doesn't catch the Golden BB in this timeline. One thing from a previous update I remember, there was something about California's contact with her crew was more of her messing around with them. Perhaps in this timeline, because of Cali's pranks, she catches the Golden BB due to her crew being pranked often enough that they don't respond as fast to alarms....

That we can agree on, but P-40s and P-36s vs. Zeroes? That won't end well.
Actually the P-40 was quite effective vrs the Zero so long as you avoided prolonged turning fights. In the initial merge the P-40 could actually significantly out turn the Zero and had a massive advantage in durability (the P-40's frame could withstand fairly high-G high speed turns, whereas the Zero couldn't handle the g-loading.) at lower speeds and energies the advantage reversed.

Actually the P-40 was quite effective vrs the Zero so long as you avoided prolonged turning fights. In the initial merge the P-40 could actually significantly out turn the Zero and had a massive advantage in durability (the P-40's frame could withstand fairly high-G high speed turns, whereas the Zero couldn't handle the g-loading.) at lower speeds and energies the advantage reversed.
Huh, didn't know that, of course the good old head-on pass would also work again using the P-40's better durability to it's advantage. Although eat a 20mm cannon shell to the engine and well your in trouble.

Huh, didn't know that, of course the good old head-on pass would also work again using the P-40's better durability to it's advantage. Although eat a 20mm cannon shell to the engine and well your in trouble.

Yeah, but the P-40 can take a hit. The Zero can't. The odds favor a P-40 in a head-on pass.

Yeah, but the P-40 can take a hit. The Zero can't. The odds favor a P-40 in a head-on pass.
As proven by the legendary American Volunteer Group aka The Flying Tigers on numerous occasions, Japanese Fighters couldn't do a head-on pass.

But, the lack of experience that American Fighter Pilots have at this time. Any kills scored against Zeroes will be a combination of mostly luck and some skill. Of course, then there is the fact that the Vals once they drop their bombs basically become a two-seat Ki-27 Nate.

While I don't remember if the fighters at Wheeler (and Ford Island? I don't remember any fighters were stationed there.) were fueled or not, I doubt even with radar warning the Americans could get the majority of their aircraft in the air with how they were positioned. That being said the largest advantage the P40s that do get up will have is in fuel. The Zeroes can't afford to get into a prolonged turning dogfight with the P40s because they won't have much of the fuel for it, or at least they won't have enough to keep a dogfight going throughout the first and second wave. It'll be interesting to see if any strikes get spoiled by American fighters.

Something I can see, and this is the cruel author in me and not the armchair general, is a stray bullet from the furball falling in the nearby fuel depot.

While I don't remember if the fighters at Wheeler (and Ford Island? I don't remember any fighters were stationed there.) were fueled or not, I doubt even with radar warning the Americans could get the majority of their aircraft in the air with how they were positioned. That being said the largest advantage the P40s that do get up will have is in fuel. The Zeroes can't afford to get into a prolonged turning dogfight with the P40s because they won't have much of the fuel for it, or at least they won't have enough to keep a dogfight going throughout the first and second wave. It'll be interesting to see if any strikes get spoiled by American fighters.

Something I can see, and this is the cruel author in me and not the armchair general, is a stray bullet from the furball falling in the nearby fuel depot.

Fortunately, fuel bunkers are buried in Earth to avoid a catastrophic chain detonation, and to make a stray bullet from the furball unlikely to detonate even a single bunker.

Well a single stray bullet wouldn't be able to ignite a fuel depot, but an a shot down plane trailing fire and smoke? That will do it, bonus points if it's a Val and it still has it's bomb attached.

considering CAP/Carrier defense was one of the things we were leagues ahead of the IJN in OTL (and Thompson if anything made it even better) and Enterprise is going to see them at 60 miles minimum thanks to radar... yes they will.

Plus considering the G3M Nell had weak armor and poor defensive armament -well with the exception of the tail gun, it was a goddamned 20mm cannon- against Wildcats it's no contest.

Back