Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

oh god

Also, for those who remember me posting about how I got into history/first read about Sara. The book that started it all was at my elementary school. A school destroyed by the tornado back in 2011, so that book- and that library -are history. Kaput. Nothing left of either. However...

Spring cleaning my room, and under years worth of accumulated stuff in my closet I find these:

The jet book is from my elementary school. One of probably a handful of books left from that school.

Just thought it was something nice to find, even if it isn't the one that started my history thing. Going to put these both to good use in my classroom when I start teaching though.
Probably already been said but what grade?

This reminds me of why I'm a bit disappointed we don't have a British time traveler yet. No chance of seeing early Sea Vampires.

Edit: I thought about it and made myself more disappointed because now I have an image of Bismarck getting obliterated by Sea Vampires doing bombing runs at top speed while inverted and the scene is too awesome to get out of my head.

Dammit I really want this now. Just some excuse for everyone's past-changing plans to come together in the same place and then some asshole Chav comes in and goes "FUCK ALL Y'ALL WE PUT JETS ON CARRIERS FIRST MOTHERFUCKERS", and then promptly proceeds to have about 2 minutes of actual glory because early jets couldn't stay in the air all that long due to fuel consumption issues and even the land-based Vampires never had all that big a bombload to begin with meaning a navalized version would likely carry even less so they'll probably just buzz everyone's command decks and then leave because that's all they have the fuel to do.
I mean, unless the British traveller is an entire aeronautical engineering department I don't see how they speed up the introduction of jets all that fast, same with how Thompson can't even get submarine torpedoes tested.

I mean, unless the British traveller is an entire aeronautical engineering department I don't see how they speed up the introduction of jets all that fast, same with how Thompson can't even get submarine torpedoes tested.
Forge/acquire files on the fact the Germans have working jets, which pushes development into overdrive and gets rid of the "no jets over the continent so they can't learn from our wrecks" that relegated the Meteor to V-1 duty?

Clearly, in order to be united with Sara as fate seems to intend, Sky must break the Rules of Nature.
Sky, seen standing over the bloodied body of Mother Nature, holding a one handed sword pointed only millimeters from her face, while manly holding onto a swooning Saratoga with his free hand.

"This is my ship, and you're now my bitch for trying to keep me from my ship."

Forge/acquire files on the fact the Germans have working jets, which pushes development into overdrive and gets rid of the "no jets over the continent so they can't learn from our wrecks" that relegated the Meteor to V-1 duty?

The biggest practical obstacle to gas turbines, at this point, is materials science. Or, put another way, they don't know how to manufacture the right alloys that will allow a jet engine to run without tearing itself apart.

Sky, seen standing over the bloodied body of Mother Nature, holding a one handed sword pointed only millimeters from her face, while manly holding onto a swooning Saratoga with his free hand.

"This is my ship, and you're now my bitch for trying to keep me from my ship."

Suddenly she becomes super buff and starts ranting about nanomachines and college ball. Also there's a robot dog and a suave Brazilian samurai kicking around somewhere.

I would like to point out that the Germans were not the only ones working on jet technology the British were as well.

As much as I like Metal Gear Rising, it doesn't need to go everywhere.

Nonsense. I can't think of a single story or plot that can't be improved by adding Jetstream Sam in some capacity.

Hell, there are ways to make it work here. Remember Sam's whole speech to Raiden about thinking about the people he's killing? Could the same speech not be applied to the ship spirits?

Eh, the 262 was perfectly fine for the time. More advanced than the Meteor on some levels. The issue was mostly with the fact that Germany didn't have the materials or time to make reliable engines at that point.

And Hitler wanting it to be a bomber, that too.

Last edited:
Eh, the 262 was perfectly fine for the time. More advanced than the Meteor on some levels. The issue was mostly with the fact that Germany didn't have the materials or time to make reliable engines at that point.

And Hitler wanting it to be a bomber, that too.
To be fair, a 262 Jabo might be able to actually survive in the air over the Western Front. Considering how bad Bodenplatte was for the 190s used as Jabos, it might have been worth it.

The 262 against bombers ran into the problem that the US could just keep making more bombers. Add in the massive amounts of air cover and the fighter sweeps going after the 262s while they're vulnerable and it's arguable that giving up against the bomber raids and focusing on the ground campaign would keep the Luftwaffe in better shape to contest the Allied advances. Of course, fat chance Hitler's gonna let the Luftwaffe preserve their strength rather than die for little effect because muh Defense of the Reich.

To be fair, a 262 Jabo might be able to actually survive in the air over the Western Front. Considering how bad Bodenplatte was for the 190s used as Jabos, it might have been worth it.

The 262 against bombers ran into the problem that the US could just keep making more bombers. Add in the massive amounts of air cover and the fighter sweeps going after the 262s while they're vulnerable and it's arguable that giving up against the bomber raids and focusing on the ground campaign would keep the Luftwaffe in better shape to contest the Allied advances. Of course, fat chance Hitler's gonna let the Luftwaffe preserve their strength rather than die for little effect because muh Defense of the Reich.
The problem was at that speed you couldn't hit shit. The AR 234's, purpose built bombers, had trouble hitting bridges let alone troops on the move.

The problem was at that speed you couldn't hit shit. The AR 234's, purpose built bombers, had trouble hitting bridges let alone troops on the move.
WW2 CAS couldn't hit shit anyway. The primary effect of CAS was against soft targets with shrapnel and blast effects, and the secondary morale effect on hard targets (tank crews bailing out to avoid the risk of air attack killing their tank).

WW2 CAS couldn't hit shit anyway. The primary effect of CAS was against soft targets with shrapnel and blast effects, and the secondary morale effect on hard targets (tank crews bailing out to avoid the risk of air attack killing their tank).
I don't think the bomber version would be any more survivable though, in fact it'd be even more of a sitting duck than as a bomber hunter. the bomb load would kill their handling performance, they'd be flying through even heavier air opposition (not to mention ground fire), and their horrendous fuel economy would necessitate airbases well within the range of even the more short legged fighters like the spitfire.

And it depends on what the definition of "Killed" is. In the Russian army, a tank that got stuck in the mud was considered "killed" until an ARV happened along to pull it out. In the German army a tank that had its turret blown off wasn't listed as "Killed", because you could just tow it back to a depot and mount a new turret.

And it depends on what the definition of "Killed" is. In the Russian army, a tank that got stuck in the mud was considered "killed" until an ARV happened along to pull it out. In the German army a tank that had its turret blown off wasn't listed as "Killed", because you could just tow it back to a depot and mount a new turret.
Considering that force that got involved in ripping a turret off its mount, not always, but I do agree the standards were different for the Russian and German sides what constituted a knocked out vehicle.
Frankly, it was more a case of what side held the battlefield.

The German airfames were decent. Their jets were utter shit though. They only lasted around 10-20 hours, where the Power Jets engines lasted 125. IIRC there's a Meteor still flying with its original engines.

Just meant that Frank Whittle knew his stuff and managed to get quality parts from Rolls-Royce.

The claims of tank kills and the like were inflated, not made up.
That's my point, though? Most of the tank losses due to air attack were from crew abandonment and destruction to prevent capture, not from the weapons themselves. See: http://mr-home.staff.shef.ac.uk/hobbies/rocket.txt

Also a very nice quote from WO 291/2359 ("2nd Tactical Air Force/21st Army Group Operational Research Sections: joint report no 3; rocket firing Typhoon in close support of land forces" according to the UK's National Archives website): "It appears quite definite that it is the nature of the attack that upsets the Germans and not the physical damage which it causes."
Most of the data I can find on effectiveness is Allied reports on destroyed tanks that were not recovered due to retreating German forces.

Back