Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

No, I watched the movie. I just don't remember them ever naming the carrier. Might not have been in the room at the time or something.

Anywho, Blucher still a cute.

(which is good, because the rest of the chapter sure as hell ain't going to be cute)

Schreiber:.....

Blucher: *Blushing brightly*

Schreiber: You know I'm your Admiral, Blucher.

Blucher: Yes! But I still want to give you these chocolates! Eugen taught me how to make them!

Schreiber: ...how... Blucher, I...

Blucher: *destroyer eyes* Please?

Schreiber: *sighs and takes the box* I am entirely too old for this.

I'm just wondering when we're going to go back to the allied side of things cause I find that side more interesting.

I'm just wondering when we're going to go back to the allied side of things cause I find that side more interesting.
it was interesting since it was far more develop than the german side....

we havent seen much going on with Germany to begin with.... with some exception of small snippet of few crucial scenes here and there...

It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I'm more interested in the political parts rather than the relationship building parts.

I imagine being in Japan in this scenario is a bit like playing XCOM at the endgame but with only Rookies and early game gear.

In other words - completely fucking impossible unless you're Beagle.
Nah, being Imperial Japan is like having two sets of midgame vets but only being allowed to recruit a tiny number of rookies. Everything seems fine at first, then the difficulty ramps up and now the other side's got better stuff than you and then you start getting Base Defense missions and then everyone's dead. The switch from "everything is great, we are blessed by the gods" to "oh god the fleet is gone, every city's been burned to the ground, everyone's starving, and welp there goes the Kwantung Army" is an essential part of the experience.

Nah, being Imperial Japan is like having two sets of midgame vets but only being allowed to recruit a tiny number of rookies. Everything seems fine at first, then the difficulty ramps up and now the other side's got better stuff than you and then you start getting Base Defense missions and then everyone's dead. The switch from "everything is great, we are blessed by the gods" to "oh god the fleet is gone, every city's been burned to the ground, everyone's starving, and welp there goes the Kwantung Army" is an essential part of the experience.

So what you're saying is that if you're Beagle it's still easily doable.

Actually, the situation that Japan was in at the start of the war was akin to having zero resources, a completely fucked and pants-on-head stupid management, a high school student in place of Shen and Vahlen, the overseer council seemingly wanting to sabotage their own war effort, and having twenty different gun designs that all sucked and all had to be produced at the same time being given to your dudes.

Meanwhile, you had some guys in the engineering and the biotechnology research department fighting over each other and trying to submit two crappy bids, and despite the fact that they suck the overseers overrule you and force them into production, complicating your supply lines even more.

Oh and did I mention that you don't have any resources to begin with, and your factories are too small to keep up with the literal twenty different guns that you have to produce because reasons?

Yeah, that's Imperial Japan at the start of the war.

Can Beagle do it? Maybe, but then the people funding the XCOM project force Beagle to use horribly outdated human wave tactics because IT WORKED*.

(By human wave tactics I mean the stereotypical CHARGE HUMANS INTO OPEN GROUND and not the actual tactical method of using overwhelming force to completely crush your enemy. Which could work. I guess.)

So... I dunno. Maybe? Japan was so horribly outclassed that it's actually a miracle that they held out for four years.

Actually, the situation that Japan was in at the start of the war was akin to having zero resources, a completely fucked and pants-on-head stupid management, a high school student in place of Shen and Vahlen, the overseer council seemingly wanting to sabotage their own war effort, and having twenty different gun designs that all sucked and all had to be produced at the same time being given to your dudes.

Meanwhile, you had some guys in the engineering and the biotechnology research department fighting over each other and trying to submit two crappy bids, and despite the fact that they suck the overseers overrule you and force them into production, complicating your supply lines even more.

Oh and did I mention that you don't have any resources to begin with, and your factories are too small to keep up with the literal twenty different guns that you have to produce because reasons?

Yeah, that's Imperial Japan at the start of the war.

Can Beagle do it? Maybe, but then the people funding the XCOM project force Beagle to use horribly outdated human wave tactics because IT WORKED*.

(By human wave tactics I mean the stereotypical CHARGE HUMANS INTO OPEN GROUND and not the actual tactical method of using overwhelming force to completely crush your enemy. Which could work. I guess.)

So... I dunno. Maybe? Japan was so horribly outclassed that it's actually a miracle that they held out for four years.

I forget who exactly said this, but an IJN admiral, when approached with the plans for Pearl, said " I can run wild for six months, maybe a year. But then what?"

I forget who exactly said this, but an IJN admiral, when approached with the plans for Pearl, said " I can run wild for six months, maybe a year. But then what?"

Yamamoto.

Who was also plagued with the same problems and was firmly stuck within the Kantai Kessen (lit. Fleet Battle, though in this case refers to the Decisive Battle (TM) that the Japanese were angling for) doctrine.

The quote was: "In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success." by Isoroku Yamamoto to Japanese cabinet minister Shigeharu Matsumoto and Japanese prime minister Fumimaro Konoe.

firmly stuck within the Kantai Kessen (lit. Fleet Battle, though in this case refers to the Decisive Battle (TM) that the Japanese were angling for) doctrine.

And the darnedest thing, is that the doctrine wasn't half bad when it was formulated and took the Anglo-Japanese Naval Alliance in consideration. When Great Britain has your back, it's a sound doctrine because then the US has to fight a true two ocean war with the Battle Fleet taking on Great Britain and then what's left to try and deal with the Japanese. The Washington Naval Conference took that treaty away and should have sparked a new naval strategy within the IJN Navy heirarchy.

The quote was: "In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success." by Isoroku Yamamoto to Japanese cabinet minister Shigeharu Matsumoto and Japanese prime minister Fumimaro Konoe.

Thank you. I can never remember the full quote.

More like he'll do it but won't actually submit any reports on it or even tell anyone he's won until a couple years after actually declaring victory.

... Sorry, but no. We built more carriers in 24 months than Japan did in the entire history of the IJN, and once we eliminated their advantage in deployed technology, we started smashing the IJN into paste in every remotely even fight.

Last edited:
Back