Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

That was based off the card. Which didn't show it clearly, and was all I had when I made the SB post.

My Sara(s) will still use bows.
Sky, cut the difference. Use the same reason given in 'Quigley Down Under':

"I said I never had much use for one [revolver]. I never said I didn't know how to use one."

Said by the main character, a sniper by trade, after a 3v1 pistol shootout where he beats all three pistol welders to the draw.

Same principle.

Here, Sara simply prefers a bow. But if push comes to shove and she's forced to do an emergency magnum launch of everything? She can whip out the Tommy Gun that normally stays 'tucked away for a rainy day' while frowning that she was forced to use it. Afterward? It gets tucked back away again, and she happily goes back to her bow.

Last edited:
A little bit of advice for chapter 29. Schreiber didn't feel like a (grand)father talking to a (grand)child in that one, more like a husband.

Pet names like dear get used rarely outside of couples. A grandmother might use it too, but a grandfatherly figure would be very unlikely to use it. The direct translation of dear is "Schatz" which in personal conversation is pretty conclusively indicative of a lovers relationship.

Grandfather figures are generally prone to mostly express affection through tone (grandfatherly, indulgent) or through affectionate nicknames (and tone). Little one (Kleine) for a girl is pretty high up. Mädel, a dated affectionate form of girl might also be used.

It's difficult to parse German familial affection in writing, we tend to rely a lot on tone to convey it. I mean, it's there, but it tends to be in tone far more than in words or gestures. Headpats for example are a father/older siblings thing, grandparents might do it with pre-teens, but around 10 years old they tend to stop. So, the headpatting was a fatherly thing to do, other things indicated grandfather and yet other things indicated romantic interest.

...things lost in (literal) translation. Hurting authors since the dawn of time :V

But yeah, I'll keep an eye on that. This is why it's helpful to have someone around who does know the language conventions.

Here, Sara simply prefers a bow. But if push comes to shove and she's forced to do an emergency magnum launch of everything? She can whip out the Tommy Gun that normally stays 'tucked away for a rainy day' while frowning that she was forced to use it. Afterward? It gets tucked back away again, and she happily goes back to her bow.
So, she uses a bow in routine ops, but when it comes time to either scramble her full fighter complement for CAP or to launch a Deck Load Strike, she whips out the Thompson and gives 'em three seconds on full-auto? I can dig it...

So, she uses a bow in routine ops, but when it comes time to either scramble her full fighter complement for CAP or to launch a Deck Load Strike, she whips out the Thompson and gives 'em three seconds on full-auto? I can dig it...

But only if Sky approves.
Please, think of the Sky.

This whole 'put both Saras in the same image' thing is becoming...well, a thing. Not horribly surprising considering that WSG!Sara is the face of that game.

But...still cute. >.>

(and yes, the shippers are going wild)

Copypasta from SB:

I can't speak for Yoshinori, obviously, but I know exactly why I went the way I did. And I figure it's probably about the same reason here.

Note Sara's color here. She and Lex were both painted this way for a long, long time. All white. That is where the long white dress comes in for me, and I assume, KC!Sara. I assume that because of her Kai art.

Again, the color is key. These ideas didn't get far enough to reach that point, but it is possible my Sara would eventually have had more blue in her outfit because of this.

At any rate, the design process for Sky!Sara from what I can remember (let's remember this was a very long time ago) went something along the lines of:

White hull, thus white dress and white thigh-highs. Long hair is admittedly personal taste, but Sara has her's tied back both to differentiate from Lex, and because her stack has (well, had) an extra walkway around it. It was how you could tell the sisters apart before Sara got her vertical stripe, and Lex got her stripe around the the top of her stack. On that note, since this is before I decided on the stripe-through-the-hair, Sara had the black stripe on her dress because of her stack stripe.

It's worth noting that other than hair and eye colors, my original designs were very much twins. Same height and build and everything.

That said, hair color. Sara got her brown hair because the first color images of Sara I ever saw were the ones when she had the bright brown flight deck with SARA printed on her stern. That stuck with me, and when it came to actually creating a woman for Sara...my first thought was 'brown hair'. Lex got grey because I thought 'Lady' Lex and silver hair in anime is typically indicative of the 'proper lady' type in a way.

(Apparently WSG agrees with me)

Officer caps are kind of my thing, even now.

The rigging is because I tried to think of something that was similar to the existing carriers, but not the same. That's why it's the entire hull (more or less) not just the flight-deck (was rushed to work, didn't note I put 'full hull' down when I was copying the notes. That and my handwriting is atrocious for a teacher). I imagine it would probably be somewhere between WSG!Sara and KC!Sara in this regard.

The rifle...dunno. Wanting to be different? I prefer bows now, but that's with time to develop my headcanon more.

Since I have her wearing a cap, the STACK CAP was out of the question, so it's either mounted on the hull, or on her arm holding the hull. Notes weren't entirely clear on that. Otherwise...I seem to have had her with a wrap-around rigging, because I had her with turrets mounted on either side of her torso. Or hips. Again, not sure exactly where I was going there. Either way, that's one similarity to KC!Sara for sure, but mostly because I wanted some way to have her mounting all four of her turrets, and a hip/torso mounting worked better than flight-deck.

It's getting late so I can't rely entirely on memory for the rest right now, but that's about what jumps out at me.

Not that this Lex and Sara are ever likely to be used in story. Overall similarities to WSG!Lex and KC!Sara respectively aside. Little real reason to use them, with WSG and KC to work with.

Oh, and before I forget. KC read my mind in more ways than one.

Sara's Six-o-clock hourly said:
6 o'clock. What will you do for dinner? Eh, the Admiral will make it? No no, it's alright. Leave dinner to Sara as well! I'll do my best!

It is...something of a running joke by now among the more shippy group that Sara and I would argue over who does cooking. Because I'm the rare guy who actually enjoys cooking, and people figure that would lead to playful 'I'm cooking. No, I'm cooking' arguments.

The moment I read that line, I almost spit my drink over my laptop.

(for context: I came across, completely by accident while talking to Sheo, that the original character design I had for Sara...is pretty much KC!Sara. Original, as in, before I even knew what Pacific- where the original Destiny!Sara drew from and why she's still blue-haired -was design. Before I knew what WSG was.

Based entirely on my own ideas of what Sara should look like. Unfortunately, when I started my SI, I had come across Pacific and decided the recognition for the main ship girl was worth more than the original design.

Sad really, KC!Sara's reveal would have been hilarious had I used the original design and even moreso had she gotten fanart.

I'm not going to change Sara in here, as I already said. But I did put this here for a reason. Namely, so people have an idea of how Sky designs ship girls. I still use the same logic, even now.)

Last edited:
I wouldn't complain if someone did. But I can't do it myself.

In other news, KC!Sara continues to grow on me:

In other news, if I'm not kept busy by family all day, I'm angling to have at least a cracky omake done after I get up later. Possibly a chapter.

But at least a little omake.

I am revamping the page, and I need to find some good pictures and tropes for the characters.

The character page is a bit sparse.

To be fair, other than the historical people and a couple girls there aren't pics. Sara doesn't have any matching art right now for instance.

Back