Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

I'm guessing the Tommy is to remind people that she got those horrible, almost (but not quite) as bad as the 25mm, 1.1"/75 caliber guns, better known as the Chicago piano. I do wonder if a posterior remodel will eliminate the Tommy and give her some Olerkions to replace them.

If anyone is ever going to get a Kai and Kai 2, American carriers are a definite yes.

I'm curious if they'll allow Sara to take part in night battles like Graf, seeing as she has CA-level armament.

Personally, not NO but HELL NO!! I mean who would want a 33,000 ton carrier, even with her 8-inch guns and battlecruiser armor, take part in a surface action, when she's carrying so many thousands of gallons of avgas and so many tons of munitions?

The whole idea of the cruiser main battery was as a last ditch defense if she's caught alone by opposing surface forces. This is from the time when there were doubts about carrier aviation as both an offensive and defensive weapon.

Personally, not NO but HELL NO!! I mean who would want a 33,000 ton carrier, even with her 8-inch guns and battlecruiser armor, take part in a surface action, when she's carrying so many thousands of gallons of avgas and so many tons of munitions?

The whole idea of the cruiser main battery was as a last ditch defense if she's caught alone by opposing surface forces. This is from the time when there were doubts about carrier aviation as both an offensive and defensive weapon.
Pretty sure he(?)'s still taking about KanColle where game mechanics force carriers to join the battle line right along side all the other ships.

Yeah, I was talking about the game itself.

On a side note, KC!Sara is shown to launch her planes with a flight deck made to look like a Thompson sub machine gun, while the main protagonist in Sky's fic here, and Saratogas admiral, is named Thompson. Hrm...

Yeah, I was talking about the game itself.

On a side note, KC!Sara is shown to launch her planes with a flight deck made to look like a Thompson sub machine gun, while the main protagonist in Sky's fic here, and Saratogas admiral, is named Thompson. Hrm...

When Admiral Thompson gets back to Sara after the refit, he finds that she's wearing a spiffy cap with classy suit dress and carrying said gun because "it felt right"? Even though she still has a bow and quiver?

When Admiral Thompson gets back to Sara after the refit, he finds that she's wearing a spiffy cap with classy suit dress and carrying said gun because "it felt right"? Even though she still has a bow and quiver?

Classy suit, yes. As far as I can remember, she has not carried a weapon in the fic because she is still 'enshippened', and therefore has no rigging yet. Though now it becomes a question as to whether or not Thompson will manage to summon a sunken Kammisu after Pearl or another battle.

Or given the way the fanart has been going, he'll return expecting to find Sara and find Marilyn Monroe instead.

IIRC, the refit Sara is going in for is the one that removed her 8" guns and replaced them with twin 5" mounts instead, in addition to removing the chicago pianos and replacing them with orelkions. plus basic overhaul maintenance stuff.

Edit: nvm, those didn't get replaced until Jan 11 1942.

From 6 January to 15 August 1941, Saratoga underwent a long-deferred modernization at the Bremerton Navy Yard that included the widening of her flight deck at her bow and the installation of additional antiaircraft guns and a CXAM-1 radar. The ship began a refit a few days later that lasted until late November, further revising the anti-aircraft armament and added a FC radar.[54]

this is the only thing i can find prewar.

Last edited:
a bazooka version of a Tommy gun...

well... you cant slug it between your body and arm to fire...

so it's an over the shoulder, bazooka-like, position weapon.
Looks more like a fancy crossbow or so, to me, what with that deck elevator lifting the too be launched plane onto the deck.
That plane almost looks like the bolt of a crossbow.

Last edited:
Another neat detail regarding the layout, since it looks like this thread hasn't noticed it yet:

The way that Sara's flight deck and the gun beneath are arranged, when she holds it to fire, her head (and its stack) is positioned right where the ship's island was IRL.

Last edited:
Nah, that fore grip and magazine/trigger assembly pretty much give away the whole gimmick.

Of course, it would work better if the deck was along the size of the gun, instead of looking like a strapped on ironing board.

Of course, it would work better if the deck was along the size of the gun, instead of looking like a strapped on ironing board.

Dude. The Lexingtons were long.

All the Japanese carriers have their full flight decks, even the magic using ones.

Personally I feel Yoshinori was inspired by both the Thompson SMG and the M1 Bazooka

Last edited:
I would have found it hilarious if they just gave her a Bazooka with different rockets being her aircraft.

Nothing says American more than excessive use of ordinance on single targets.

-SK

Another neat detail regarding the layout, since it looks like this thread hasn't noticed it yet:

The way that Sara's flight deck and the gun beneath are arranged, when she holds it to fire, her head (and its stack) is positioned right where the ship's island was IRL.

It's also interesting that she holds it in a left handed manner.

There's a level of ambidextry with Chicago Typewriter Thompsons. Which worked out well for gangsters on car running boards, since they could be on either side.

Normally I'd agree, but this particular one has to be held left handed.

At least she won't get hit in the face with the hot ejected cartridge casings.

Last edited:
Back