Transposition, or: Ship Happens [Worm/Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio | Arpeggio of Blue Steel]

Ummmmm, no. That's a misinterpretation propogated from a poor translation that made it into the widely-available scanlation. It's actually this:

Molecular, not atomic. It can simulate molecular structures like proteins and microscopic systems like organelles or phages, but it's ultimately nanomaterial, which is made up of its own atoms. It's not a different fermion or some sort of exotic matter. I did a more comprehensive post about it a long time ago that's in the information threadmarks.

She could simulate, not is simulating. See Takao, who had to read biology textbooks and data in order to be able to do so. Base Mental Models just don't bother with stuff like that because it takes up processor cycles and is unnecessary. Easier to just make a shell that looks and acts human and only does what's needed.

It's moot anyways because Taylor's current body is all diamond and carbon muscle, with an antimatter powerplant and nanomaterial skin.

I just realized something.

QA shard has been hiding something:

All shards are immense structures with vast computational abilities. QA has donated this functionality into the merger.

Shards are also all capable of immense power output, transmitted through dimensional space for their hosts to use.

Not all hosts are allowed access to the power, just as not all are allowed access to computational ability.

QA was configured by Scion to be heavy on computation, light on power.

But QA has been jailbroken, has it not?

What will QA want in exchange for donating the power output of a shard to the union?

I just realized something.

QA shard has been hiding something:

All shards are immense structures with vast computational abilities. QA has donated this functionality into the merger.

Shards are also all capable of immense power output, transmitted through dimensional space for their hosts to use.

Not all hosts are allowed access to the power, just as not all are allowed access to computational ability.

But QA has been jailbroken, has it not?

What will QA want in exchange for donating the power output of a shard to the union?

For that matter, how much more unbelievably vast amounts of computational power is QA not yet donating? By all rights, QA should have more than enough computational power available to allow Taylor functionally unlimited POWA Processing power as in so much that anyone with even a remotely human outlook will never hit close to the hard limit. (Multi-dimensional space-whales yo. (shoot me, my memes are bad.)) After-all Ensou has said that in this fic at least maximum strength of Klein-field translates directly to available processing power to run the sheild without it collapsing catastrophically.

So, to replicate any molecule nano material has to first replicate or simulate the atoms these molecules consist of.
Nope! Molecules only interact via the electromagnetic force. Strong and weak nuclear interactions only happen inside atomic nuclei (hence the name), gravitational interactions are too weak at this scale to matter, and we're at energy levels far too low to care about unification or any of the other things that happen (pair production, parity, etc) that happen when we usually think of particle physics. No, all Taylor has to do is slap down sufficiently precise electromagnetic fields. And it's surprisingly easy to do that. Heck, you can do that on the nano-scale with macroscopic instruments! Scanning tunneling electron microscopes have a physical tip that is brought close to the material and, well, I'll just quote Wikipedia here:
Article:
With this resolution, individual atoms within materials are routinely imaged and manipulated.
Source: [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanning_tunneling_microscope]Scanning tunneling microscope[/url]

So, no, Taylor does not need to actually simulate individual atoms. She just needs effectors that can induce sufficiently sharp electromagnetic gradients to tear molecules apart or push them together so they combine the way she wants. And that's so easy that you can do it with IRL tabletop scientific equipment, albeit slowly. Literally all Taylor has is the ability to do it at scale.

For that matter, how much more unbelievably vast amounts of computational power is QA not yet donating? By all rights, QA should have more than enough computational power available to allow Taylor functionally unlimited POWA Processing power as in so much that anyone with even a remotely human outlook will never hit close to the hard limit. (Multi-dimensional space-whales yo. (shoot me, my memes are bad.)) After-all Ensou has said that in this fic at least maximum strength of Klein-field translates directly to available processing power to run the sheild without it collapsing catastrophically.

Shards do have limits though. Kephri drained Doormaker's shard during Golden Morning.

Eidolon also apparently drained several of his favorite shards, but he eventually learned how to shift power around to recharge them from other shards that had no host. QA probably cannot do that. I say that because Eidolon was immune to Contessa's power, and Eden had put a limit on that shard to keep it from working on either Eden or Scion. Eidolon was a core shard from Eden, so Eden's reprogramming made him immune to Contessa's.

Taylor has no such immunity, so QA likely does not have the ability to reprogram shards.

Shards do have limits though. Kephri drained Doormaker's shard during Golden Morning.

Eidolon also apparently drained several of his favorite shards, but he eventually learned how to shift power around to recharge them from other shards that had no host. QA probably cannot do that. I say that because Eidolon was immune to Contessa's power, and Eden had put a limit on that shard to keep it from working on either Eden or Scion. Eidolon was a core shard from Eden, so Eden's reprogramming made him immune to Contessa's.

Taylor has no such immunity, so QA likely does not have the ability to reprogram shards.
Isnt doormaker a cauldron cape, thus meaning that his shard had a finite energy source as opposed to the various ways living/scion shards gain power? Also, all the examples you gave are cauldron capes, so it is entirely possible that while qa has a limit, it should be nowhere near what we have seen so far.

Guys stop for a second. QA's job is to micro manage the nanomachines. You have to consider each Nanobots the equivalent to an insect in skitters swarm. And even then she had a limit on effective control distance.

Consider if you would how many Nanobots are in the bay currently. What with having converted the ship graveyard into nanomaterial. And consider that there is no longer a range limit.

Just how much processing does QA have to do, considering that the control Transmissions are instantaneous regardless of distance? Over an unlimited amount of nanomaterial. And allowing for multiple non-simple commands.

The mind boggles at what QA is currently doing.

They have limits, Sure, but considering scion was considered a valid threat to 10^9 dimensions in which humanity existed that specific limit stops applying when you have a way to actively harvest more energy, unlike dead Eden shards.

What Bob said and here QA is set/limited to managing Taylor's nano-material by the Union Core/Taylor's sub-processes.

Nope! Molecules only interact via the electromagnetic force. Strong and weak nuclear interactions only happen inside atomic nuclei (hence the name), gravitational interactions are too weak at this scale to matter, and we're at energy levels far too low to care about unification or any of the other things that happen (pair production, parity, etc) that happen when we usually think of particle physics. No, all Taylor has to do is slap down sufficiently precise electromagnetic fields. And it's surprisingly easy to do that. Heck, you can do that on the nano-scale with macroscopic instruments! Scanning tunneling electron microscopes have a physical tip that is brought close to the material and, well, I'll just quote Wikipedia here:
Article:
With this resolution, individual atoms within materials are routinely imaged and manipulated.
Source: [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanning_tunneling_microscope']Scanning tunneling microscope[/URL]

So, no, Taylor does not need to actually simulate individual atoms. She just needs effectors that can induce sufficiently sharp electromagnetic gradients to tear molecules apart or push them together so they combine the way she wants. And that's so easy that you can do it with IRL tabletop scientific equipment, albeit slowly. Literally all Taylor has is the ability to do it at scale.

Not quite correct.
If you want to use pure EM fields to simulate, say, a sheet of titanium, you would need to basically go the Einstein route to make them sufficiently dense, like in E=mc^2. The energy necessary and inefficiency is staggering.

If you want to use EM fields to simulate interactions between nanomaterial particles to simulate other material, like the sheet of titanium...

Have you seen that I explicitly have used that as a possibility in both of my posts?
This is what I am calling "simulating a material with external energy expenditure".

But, then this simulated material would return to nanomaterial as soon as it would not be receiving extra energy from mental model to keep it in shape, as I also pointed out in my posts. Not what we have seen in the series, or in the quote, where it was told that "dead" bodies of mental models would stay as "flesh" and would be good enough substitutes to fool a common autopsy.

And you still could not simulate molecules that are smaller than the singular particles of nanomaterial, something I also already pointed out.

That she can manipulate single molecules and/or atoms once she has them to build whatever, was never doubted by anyone here. The question was how she is using her "nanomaterial" to build and/or simulate the molecules in the first place.

Last edited:
If by "configure" you actually mean "ripped her in half", then sure, he totally "configured" her to be heavy on computation and light on power generation.

What I'm saying here is that QA doesn't have the organs she need to produce that power anymore. Even if she were fully jailbroken and free of Scion's software limitation, which isn't an assured thing, she'd still need to repair her ruined hardware first.

Thinking about it, Entities are even dumber than obvious. Instead of careful engineering and experimentation to optimise their processes, they continously cripple themselves, hoping that the forming scar tissue is better than the healthy tissue was before. I mean, what the hell? They manage to copy how much tech from the races they destroyed, but didn't even bother to adapt the basic rules of science? The fact that they somehow manage to get a positive result out of a cycle built on self mutiliation is completely crazy.

Back