Transposition, or: Ship Happens [Worm/Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio | Arpeggio of Blue Steel]

My question is... why?

What does Tattletale really contribute that the entire situation feels almost engineered to add Lisa to 'team Taylor'? At the moment, all this serves to do is give the potential for Tattletale to be physically upgraded. Truthfully, I'd have been much happier if she had died and this interlude was her thoughts as she drifted out to sea and passed away, it would have been a lot more poignant and, honestly, refreshing compared to the sheer number of fics that include Tattletale for the sake of adding her. Even stories where she doesn't join the Undersiders tend to finagle their way into Tattletale being included in some way, shape, or form.

My question is... why?

What does Tattletale really contribute that the entire situation feels almost engineered to add Lisa to 'team Taylor'? At the moment, all this serves to do is give the potential for Tattletale to be physically upgraded. Truthfully, I'd have been much happier if she had died and this interlude was her thoughts as she drifted out to sea and passed away, it would have been a lot more poignant and, honestly, refreshing compared to the sheer number of fics that include Tattletale for the sake of adding her. Even stories where she doesn't join the Undersiders tend to finagle their way into Tattletale being included in some way, shape, or form.
Because killing characters who can be of use narratively is bad writer practice?

Well this leads to some uncomfortable, body horror inspiring questions. Brain-in-the-jar Lisa is going to have quite a few questions when she wakes up. I can only hope her power driven body issues help her adjust to her new cyborg body that I'm guessing she is getting.

But hey, on the upside she can customize her new body in whatever way she wants because Taylor and her bullshit nanotech is gonna build it for her out of guilt of not saving the rest of Lisa. So Lisa has that going for her. Probably could get some awesome FOG Mil-Spec combat cyborg body package out of the deal. And with Lisa's bullshit she can probably make a good enough new identity to stand up to casual inspection.

As long as Lisa doesn't lose her shit and go nutters from being a brain-in-a-jar she kinda came out ahead on this one. Taylor aND Lisa can play R&D until Lisa gets a body that is close enough to human sensory wise but packing some sweet bullshit of combat tech. But this may be my heavy transhumanist leanings speaking up here.

My question is... why?

Well, for one, Taylor finds out about her ability to create mini-cores, or whatever the proper term for those are. Secondly, it gives her some emotional turmoil to deal with, and not the kind that can be dealt with by toning down her emotional emulators.

Rather improbable, I think.
Taylor currently does not have any idea how to produce a core, let alone how to copy a personality into it.

And since the brain is intact, and she does know how to keep it this way, Tattletale in the box, asleep, followed by a full body cyberification is the most likely scenario for near future.

This said, Lisa might end up a core, but a lot later in the story, if at all.

Ah yeah, didn't think of that. Makes sense.

Everyone's talking about NieR Automata, Deus Ex, and GitS, and I'm just amazed no one's brought up this guy yet:

Bonus points for managing to include Zandatsu mode :V

I was thinking more of this pal right here

On the other hand, it'd be hilarious to give Tattles the body from this universe and see her go to town on Coil.

Last edited:
At least, that's what it seems like to me. I hope I'm not missing something.
The amount of abuse the human body can take before it's absolutely, guaranteed to be unrecoverable (forgoing brain or spinal injuries) is ridiculous from a biological standpoint. The primary reason major injuries kill without treatment isn't the injuries themselves, but the complications that arise from them such as infection, sepsis, gangrene, etc.

Minimum height for semi-submersible oil rigs is about 15m (there's a very nice paper on it. Yes I actually researched this, did you guys think I wouldn't?) and 50ft is cliff-diving height. Survivable by normal humans, easily. An impact like that would cause her mostly-cauterized wounds to tear a bit and an increase in blood loss but not significantly enough (in my opinion) to cause her to bleed out so fast she'd be guaranteed dead at sea.

It's not abuse for the sake of character-pain. It's events that all culminate in a situation that leaves only one option remaining, and getting there realistically takes a lot to do so.

My question is... why?

What does Tattletale really contribute that the entire situation feels almost engineered to add Lisa to 'team Taylor'?
Because it's a struggle, a conflict, and for Taylor, an act of hypocrisy.

Designing from the ground up a body for Lisa isn't going to be easy, and it's something Taylor has to do. Propofol can be addictive, and if she takes too long she'll have to choose between that addiction and keeping Lisa in sensory deprivation which can cause people to go insane.

There's a sense of sudden realism in seeing someone dying in front of you, trying to save them, and then failing. Taylor just spent the afternoon digging people out and rescuing them. When the bomb exploded she nearly lost her life, and was understandably very shaken from it, as it destroyed her conviction in her invulnerability and immortality.

So she's going home to be with her dad and feel safe and then she finds someone nearly dead, like she was. So you have the compounding realization of mortality and emotional distress in a) coming within feet of dying yourself and b) watching someone practically die in front of you as you try everything to save them.

...That's trigger-event material.

The hypocrisy of the entire situation is that Taylor has spent the entire story bemoaning her loss of humanity and her inability to know if she's still Taylor ...and now she's condemned someone else to nearly the same thing, with both being from altruistic intent. She knows it. She realizes it. And she hates it. Because now she understands both sides.

Anyways. Regarding the "adding Lisa to the crew" bit. I'd say wait and see. There's still a lot that can happen.

Edit: Reduced italics. Sorry if that came off a bit defensive.

Last edited:
Has no one else mentioned taking Lisa to panacea?
Growing a body is basically what she does all the time.
I could see Taylor not realising this due to her "I don't do brains" thing, but it is an option.

Brain in a box for the win!

Yeah... Exactly that... And not even a fleshy brain...

So, a mental Model Lisa... without her power since i think that in canon the telepathic emitters/receptors of the shard need a biological support (the corona)...

You sure?

Yes, the nanobody is a given, but Taylor did preserve her mind... So maybe not a mental model but a virtual transformation of Lisa biological brain?
Wow... That's...
I just don't...

Yeh, I don't have the words. I get the feeling that the only part of Lisa that 'survived' is her brain - since Lisa without powers... Just isn't really Lisa.
And it's already been mentioned that Taylor was preventing Brain Death - but that she wasn't capable of restoring her body...

Also, It's already established that the Shard Taylor uses is connected/derived/copied the Fog systems. It shouldn't have that much of an issue of translating Lisa's powers over to the Mental Model, if it is a total download.

Growing a body is basically what she does all the time.
I could see Taylor not realising this due to her "I don't do brains" thing, but it is an option.
Panacea would go "Fuck no". And not just for her no brains rule, this is something she'd actually have real difficulty doing and she knows it. It bumps right up on her fear of messing up.

Panacea doesn't take requests, and also doesn't do brains - and while Lisa's brain is nominally intact, as she is would be cutting it pretty close.

But that's mostly excuses; the bigger issue is that Taylor really isn't good at accepting failures and asking for help, and also, well.

Tattletale's a crook, Taylor knows it, and Taylor's not the most trusting individual at the best of times. She's not going to take the chance that someone else might decide that it'd be better if Tattletale died.

Back