Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Personally my motivation wasn't "It might upset the Sect" but more "These guys might kill us", or at least force senpai to intervene resulting in a mark against us we can't afford.

Gan's a big dude, we can't share the doghouse with him.

Pretty much this. Everything up till now has happened in or near to the sect, while here we are out on an active border with very limited support and solid knowledge that if we head south, we WILL be in over our heads. Especially since we were almost spotted even doing as little as we did.

Basically, there was no benefits except curiosity, and a good chance of us being killed or reprimanded. Qi is not one to take risks without payoffs.

Honestly, the fact that we did the smart thing in all cases may be boring from a sense of kicking the story into a new area, but it is almost certainly better for advancing the plots we are already a part of.

(Also the 'you don't actually speak any of the languages' was very relevant.)

On the OTHER other hand, during our moon dream, where we were explicitly warned the character of our decisions echo into the waking world and our self, we were like "Oooh forgotten and inconvenient truths that challenge Imperial hegemony!" and now we're like "Better not take risks. It might upset the sect :("

Which is a bit of a disconnect, ya know? In a sense, it's a repeat of the bloody moon dream. Willing to do things in the abstract, but folding when things get Too Real. Did Ling Qi choose to be a horrible gremlin of lunar curiosity, or didn't she?
There's a difference between "don't be afraid to upset people" and "march into the capital and literally piss on the empress".
We have no reason to intentionally go against the instructions of our seniors and/or teachers at this moment.

Sure it might make for a better story to have Ling Qi mess up and learn a lesson, but those are dime a dozen, let's instead have Ling Qi listen to, and learn from, advice of those more experienced than her.
We can make principled stances when we have actual principles to stand for involved.

Eyes of the Goddess
Complicating choices are complicating. Uuuuugghhh. Now I'm wondering what would really happen should we actually go through with tailing those barbarians :confused:. Welp, too late for regrets now.

Anyways, here's another piece of art. I drew him/her already, but s/he occupied a small space on that drawing so I decided to make a second iteration focused him/her. Presenting once again, the Eyes of the Goddess (aka Plant Raven). or at least what I think s/he looks like. Feel free to object their appearance.

now with more extra colors (since I finally got a few of my supplies ready, bummer that I don't have gray).

One day, I will finish that Liao Zhu art (once I figure out what to do with him)

@yrsillar here's more art.

Last edited:
Isn't the raven supposed to have three eyes? Or is the third one hiding behind the flower or somewhere else I didn't notice?

.....you're right. I was thinking of Yatagarasu when I was making it. How the hell did I miss that.*head slam on desk*

Well, I did have some ideas about the flowers since the raven is projected to be Perception-based. Anyways, third eyes goes on the forehead.

might edit later (not the big part tho :cry:), and by later, I mean when I wake up.

[X] Fire and Water (Gu Xiulan and Shen Hu)
[X] The Snake and the Spider(Bai Meizhen and Bao Qingling)

(best snek is losing - what has become of this thread???).

Lu Suyin has had a whole arc, the others only snippets, so I much prefer these two options.

On the OTHER other hand, during our moon dream, where we were explicitly warned the character of our decisions echo into the waking world and our self, we were like "Oooh forgotten and inconvenient truths that challenge Imperial hegemony!" and now we're like "Better not take risks. It might upset the sect :("

Which is a bit of a disconnect, ya know? In a sense, it's a repeat of the bloody moon dream. Willing to do things in the abstract, but folding when things get Too Real. Did Ling Qi choose to be a horrible gremlin of lunar curiosity, or didn't she?
When it turns out that this vote was the diverging point on the path towards disaster, I want it on the record that I was one of the only people to vote to pursue them.

It's all because I was prescient, and not at all because I sometimes like to be contrarian with my votes. :whistle:

Last edited:
Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by CornyBones on Jul 10, 2019 at 12:19 PM, finished with 154 posts and 100 votes.

I didn't think the last sealth challenge was a good one for us. Most of our sealth (out of combat) has been focused on getting into places we don't belong, not avoiding perception. I didn't think following people was really something we are good at. We should be better now with the new skill. And hopefully we will get a sealth art soon and have some real skill. On the other hand, if we knew roughly were they setup camp and we were trying to break in to steal something that might fit us better. Though I am guessing the cloud tribe isn't one for fixed static defenses and formations for us to slip by.

It's not a problem in the immediate, but if it continues as a trend then we have in a very real sense taken steps down a false path. That's a biiiig problem for cultivators. If nothing else, the conversation around the decision on our part highlights a disconnect between aspects of Ling Qi's chosen portfolio and the hierarchy of our priorities as players.

Curiosity is fine, taking risks is how someone grows. But not at a job that has humans' lives dependent on it.

You are ignoring content by this member.
[x] Needle and Thread (Li Suyin and ???)

[X] The Snake and the Spider(Bai Meizhen and Bao Qingling)

I'd vote for just the spider but it looks like that doesn't have much of a chance

Last edited:
Back