Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Fuck it. We'll get caught and have a nice long conversation with some nomads

Or not because this is just a token vote.

[X] She wanted to follow them anyway, she had come too far.

So I know I've seen some complaints that your scene bonuses to certain skills are useless/don't show up well, so I'm experimenting with just outright stating when they activate. Does it work? Or would you prefer that I not do that?
I think it works and I prefer that you continue doing it.

If you're worried about it being distracting maybe try using footnotes1​.

1​ Sort of like this.

Does it work? Or would you prefer that I not do that?

I liked it quite a bit.

The reader doesn't have Qi's senses. The immersion break there and again at the skill upgrade serves to show that this was and challenge we almost didn't make, in a way unique to the format that is both more striking and more concise than you introducing another bound spirit who's only job is to Picolo commentary fights.

Party of three on one side and party of four on the other. It is indeed fine~

I'd bet good money that all of them have 1 spirit. Not a good one, but most of the bandit yellows had them.

Man, the mountain spirits in THOSE must be fuckhuge

I just had a thought.

Ying isn't in charge of defense because she's the strongest or the best sensor.

She's in charge of defense because she's the strongest Earth/Mountain besides Zhou, and someone had to bind those things.

What is a mercy rule?

"If a vote leads by x amount, voting locks"

They're mostly good for pissing off Australians.

Dharitri
I am very tired, and it took me a while, but I fiiiinnnaally did it.

Here's Sun Liling's very own Spirit(s), Dharitri, and the jungle crow, the Eye of the Goddess

Here is my interpretation of what Dharitri would look like, though I purposely split the face between a dangerous bewitching plant woman and a human skull (with glowing eyes). As for crow, I think I might have to follow up another drawing about my concept of him. Basically he's infested by a plant so he has lots of flowers in him (plus his eye is bleeding). Also added sunflowers to the hair background.

Here you go @yrsillar more art

Hopefully I finish my other drawing

Edit: Now that I'm awake, I went ahead and edited/ retraced some parts that seemed faded as well as add stuff in the drawing.

Last edited:
I'd bet good money that all of them have 1 spirit. Not a good one, but most of the bandit yellows had them.
I'm expecting them to be utility spirits if so. More useful to scouts than combat spirits and easier to get.
A tracker dog or a mount most likely

Since Argent cultivation arts build qi efficiently and allows spirit binding up to one level up, its even feasible for a Yellow cultivator to keep a Green spirit as an emergency bruiser, though thats probably too expensive that they'd be doing much else...which isn't a problem for Sect Army lifers I suppose, since if they plateau on base cultivation, and run into the meridian softcap, grinding qi is a thing..
I just had a thought.

Ying isn't in charge of defense because she's the strongest or the best sensor.

She's in charge of defense because she's the strongest Earth/Mountain besides Zhou, and someone had to bind those things.
I'm guessing diplomance more. Wouldn't fit in Dantians would they?
"If a vote leads by x amount, voting locks"

They're mostly good for pissing off Australians.
Also not really useful for this quest format since Yrs updates on a semi-fixed schedule anyways. Locking early doesn't do anything but piss people off.

So, I want to take some time to talk about our skill Vanishing. And why I'm super excited about it, and the possibilities it represents.
Gritting her teeth, Ling Qi focused on tightening her hold on her qi and dispersing her presence through the shadows that suffused the stormcloud, she focused on the lessons she had learned in mastering the Sable Crescent Step, and the techniques that she had applied to better dodge attacks...

Stealth Bonus activated
Stealth Skill Advanced
Stealth C->Vanishing B

...And when the man rode through the storm, sparks of electricity dancing around the eye holes of his mask, he found only shadows lightning and a rumbling storm. Ling Qi watched him search, her thoughts feeling as unfocused and detached as the qi that had been her body as the man rode through where she had been. It was not a comfortable feeling, it was like holding her breath as a mortal, and every second that passed sent a feeling like the burning of air starved lungs through her spirit, and her focus threatened to crumble as her thoughts tried to float away, like leaves on the wind.

This seems like a skill that will take some practice getting used to, but once that practice happens it will be a devastating tool in our stealth arsenal. While it does seem incredibly taxing to use, being able to vanish from an area for even a couple of moments to avoid detection will allow us to more easily hide from probing examinations or getting into places we shouldn't. It's everything I wanted from our stealth upgrade.

Given it's connection to Sable Grace, I'm wondering if we would be able to eventually combine the two skills so that whenever we dodge we vanish from the area, only to reappear in another. With our propensity to generate fields under our control, this style would be exceptionally annoying to fight against. All in all, I'm super happy with the skill advancement, and I can't wait to see what we are able to do with it given some time and practice.

So, I want to take some time to talk about our skill Vanishing. And why I'm super excited about it, and the possibilities it represents.

This seems like a skill that will take some practice getting used to, but once that practice happens it will be a devastating tool in our stealth arsenal. While it does seem incredibly taxing to use, being able to vanish from an area for even a couple of moments to avoid detection will allow us to more easily hide from probing examinations or getting into places we shouldn't. It's everything I wanted from our stealth upgrade.

Given it's connection to Sable Grace, I'm wondering if we would be able to eventually combine the two skills so that whenever we dodge we vanish from the area, only to reappear in another. With our propensity to generate fields under our control, this style would be exceptionally annoying to fight against. All in all, I'm super happy with the skill advancement, and I can't wait to see what we are able to do with it given some time and practice.
More importantly

Its synergy with ENM is utterly disgusting as it allows Ling Qi to break detection to enable its best techs.

And mountains ABOVE THE ATMOSPHERE!
I'm guessing these parts don't see many visitors normally, with the higher risks of stellar radiation.
No spirits visible either, though the plants sound like they're tracking her by her qi, so probably opportunistically predatory?
That is not necessarily true.
IRL Mount Everest is fully inside the Earth's Atmosphere and yet a significant part of it's peak is just not livable. As in you literally can not breath enough air to remain at that altitude for more than a few hours, assuming decent physical state. Heck, i doubt the average couch potato could even last a few hours...
I think that and the fact the scouts are all significant greens is more an indication that the higher you personal cultivation realm the wider the range of environment you can survive/live in. Highest mountain peaks, lowest caverns, deepest reach of the ocean, ect...
Obviously, those extreme areas are also where you find the strangest resources, which considering their strangeness require the highest level of skill to process into usable stuff. All in good Xianxia fashion...

Hmm, that sounds like the raiders are probably going to be deploying in clusters of all-greens, while the regular camps have to deal with lower cultivation.

Noting that its not as bad as it sounds, Imperial doctrine is all about having squads of several Yellows pin a single Green down for the Imperial Greens to hammer down on, and Nomad strategy is inherently individualistic.
Perhaps, though if my previous idea is accurate then the fact the scouts are all greens is due to the fact that they need to be at least that powerful to survive the altitude and has little to do with what the average power level of barbarians is. Yellow scouts would simply not be able to work there, hence why the barbarians need to send three green scouts instead of say three dozen of yellow scouts.

Last edited:
Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Qazplm on Jul 6, 2019 at 4:51 AM, finished with 141 posts and 79 votes.

I'm expecting them to be utility spirits if so. More useful to scouts than combat spirits and easier to get.
A tracker dog or a mount most likely
Barbarians and the Empire seem to be based on Mongols and China, so i'll venture the guess that the first bounded spirit of basically any barbarian is their horse.

Went ahead and added and edited some stuff to the Dharitri art now that I'm fully awake and saw my drawing. Didn't completely like how it turned out so I did some stuff.

Stealth Bonus activated
Stealth Skill Advanced
Stealth C->Vanishing B

...And when the man rode through the storm, sparks of electricity dancing around the eye holes of his mask, he found only shadows lightning and a rumbling storm. Ling Qi watched him search
, her thoughts feeling as unfocused and detached as the qi that had been her body as the man rode through where she had been. It was not a comfortable feeling, it was like holding her breath as a mortal, and every second that passed sent a feeling like the burning of air starved lungs through her spirit, and her focus threatened to crumble as her thoughts tried to float away, like leaves on the wind.

Yet the moment passed, and the man rode back to his companions, departing for the mountain from whence they came
Passives
+10 to Stealth
+5 to Speed
+5 to Physical and Spiritual Avoid
+5 to Physical and Spiritual Hit

Passing Phantom: D
Duration: Short
The user's presence fades from the mind, forgotten the moment that ones eyes stray from them. Enhances the users stealth and ability to avoid spiritual attacks, as well as slip through spiritual defenses. Allows the user to reset unsure targets to unaware if their stealth is sufficient
No but for real

Had we trained ENM and equipped it, following these barbarians wouldve been completely on the table.

The sheer number of options this Tech now opens up for Ling Qi is stunning

Alright gonna lock up, geeze, everytime I think I have you guys pegged behaviorally you swerve on me. I thought this one would actually be a little contentious
We want to stick with the squad, in order to soak the info for the team building. We want to break away from the squad to also demonstrate initiative when reasonable. We want to report in, because the risk doesn't seem believably worth it. (and because the last time we ignored a warning we got ganked by bad moon)

Alright gonna lock up, geeze, everytime I think I have you guys pegged behaviorally you swerve on me. I thought this one would actually be a little contentious
Even if the actual risk isn't that high the perceived risk seems too big compared to uncertain and not clearly necessary gains.

(also the thread is secretly a bunch of goody two-shoes and it'll take much better bait to get us to ignore imperial law and "we were warned about this" mission parameters)

Frankly, going back and reporting on what we saw is actually our job.

Following three guys we probably can't beat behind enemy lines where even more perceptive and powerful people will be, on the off chance we find something useful, is practically the definition of foolhardy.

Like, is it worth most likely getting wrecked for whatever info we could recover? I doubt that very much.

Edit: Besides. Nothing we gather will matter if we cannot get back to report on it.

Last edited:
Back