Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I wonder how they managed it. Maybe spirit stones used to be more common? I wonder if they will ever run out. Should people be researching sustainable sources of cultivation?
They are renewable if you don't overmine past their regeneration rate. And it's not like that regeneration rate really has reason to go away given that it almost certainly springs from the corpses of The Mother and The Father.

They are renewable if you don't overmine past their regeneration rate. And it's not like that regeneration rate really has reason to go away given that it almost certainly springs from the corpses of The Mother and The Father.
If that is the case I guess that the Empire's GSSP* likely stablized a long time ago. And if they literally can't mine it an faster the economy can focus on other things.

*Gross spirt stone product
Edit
There are also cultivation arts that give virtual spirt stones. Maybe someday they will come up with a cultivation art that can actually fill all the spirit stone slots with virtual spirt stones and the economy of the empire will suddenly collapses on itself as the value of spirt stones deflats like a popped balloon.

Last edited:
Wait. You need to be Green/Bronze 3 to make arts. You need to master at least four arts to get to Green/Bronze 3.

How did this get started?

Spirits, yeah.

First Arts were tricks Spirits taught humans.

I mean... It was the dragons, wasn't it? The dragons taught humans how to cultivate to extend the humans lifespans.
We already noticed. Theres the following factors:
-Spirits can teach arts to humans they find interesting. Sage Emperor got here that way.
-Spiritblooded are born with arts from their spirit heritage. This is how the Bai, Xuan, etc got here. They don't NEED pills, stones or tutors. Everything is in their blood. The earliest cultivators are most likely all based on this, its easier to be left with a baby by a lewd spirit you can't beat than to build an actual relationship
There are also cultivation arts that give virtual spirt stones. Maybe someday they will come up with a cultivation art that can actually fill all the spirit stone slots with virtual spirt stones and the economy of the empire will suddenly collapses on itself as the value of spirt stones deflats like a popped balloon.
I'd note that basically every "good quality" cultivation art seems to be giving us Free Stones, and that the founding clans didn't actually HAVE Prism Stones when they got their first Whites.
But you still need spirit stones if you want to be competitive.

At least, if you want to do anything other than learning/developing 4-5 stone awarding cultivation arts in your peak years of cultivation before you start slowing down. And then doing it again every breakthrough

I'd note that basically every "good quality" cultivation art seems to be giving us Free Stones, and that the founding clans didn't actually HAVE Prism Stones when they got their first Whites.
But you still need spirit stones if you want to be competitive.

At least, if you want to do anything other than learning/developing 4-5 stone awarding cultivation arts in your peak years of cultivation before you start slowing down. And then doing it again every breakthrough
I said a cultivation art that can fill every slot.

Something to note on the whole stone generation thing. We've yet to encounter a cultivation art that gives free red stones. They might exist of course, but it somewhat curious that "stone provision" seems to suddenly appear in more advanced cultivation arts.

Hmm. Wondering on other things cultivation arts, I wonder if there's any out there that provide bonuses to Domain successes by extracting more out of arts in the green realm.

*scratches chin*

Thinking on it I would expect no, considering the uniqueness of Domains. Best to ask!

@yrsillar can a cultivation art exist which provides bonus Domain successes, or otherwise assists in the speed of advancement for a Domain?

Something to note on the whole stone generation thing. We've yet to encounter a cultivation art that gives free red stones. They might exist of course, but it somewhat curious that "stone provision" seems to suddenly appear in more advanced cultivation arts.

This actually came up a few months ago. IIRC Cultivation arts that give virtual red stones are simply not a thing, although there was one guy who wanted to spend time to invent one to 'help the little guy'. As I recall, we were told that such an art would basically be the culmination of an entire thread worth of effort, if we decided to work for it.

Last edited:
This actually came up a few months ago. IIRC Cultivate arts that give virtual red stones are simply not a thing, although there was one guy who wanted to spend time to invent one to 'help the little guy'. As I recall, we were told that such an art would basically be the culmination of an entire thread worth of effort, if we decided to work for it.
I remember that talk now kinda, it was TehChron who brought it up. Don't remember the entire thread worth of effort bit. Can you point me at where it happened to come up so I can find it for myself?

E: At least I think it was TehChron.

Last edited:
I remember that talk now kinda, it was TehChron who brought it up. Don't remember the entire thread worth of effort bit. Can you point me at where it happened to come up so I can find it for myself?

That's a pretty tall ask, honestly.

Okay guys. I didn;t make my statement to say that advancements and improving things for people was impossible. I just wanted to cut off any nonsense about breaking the whole setting open easily with the resources of a baron level cultivator.

Such a thing is indeed theoretically possible. It would almost certainly come as the culmination of a story arc and not as something that's just acheived in passing.

Like... artificial object spirits, those were considered impossible before Cai's Mom managed it, but that is also the culminating work of an incredibly talented persons life.

Basically, it's a mega project.

Edit: it was aranfan. He hasn't been around in this thread.

Last edited:
ngl, I kinda want Ling Qi to just pick up Lark on an impulse for fun.

I mean, it will mostly just add more cultivation work for us, complicate our meridians, and fail to give useful build coverage, but it's a lot of fun.
I kind of disagree.
The only thing related to flight right now is Ling Qi's dress. And Sun Liling already proved that it can be destroyed/stolen if we ever lose in the wrong situation.

That's a pretty tall ask, honestly.

Basically, it's a mega project.

Edit: it was aranfan. He hasn't been around in this thread.
Aww you didn't have to do that. Just pointing me vaguely further in the right direction would have been enough. Thanks for finding it though!

Curious Diviners Eye
Potency: Green 1
Potency Growth: Green 2(4)
Max Level: 5
Needed Meridians: Head x2, Lung x1, Lung(3), Head (5)
Keywords: Academics, Intelligence, Perceptiveness, Projection, Moon, Secrets, Water, Yin
Experience: 80, 120, 160, 200, 280

The arts of the great diviner have spread far and wide with time, their secrets no longer held in trust. This art has been said to be a descendant of the impeccable arts of the great horned sages. Perhaps as a starting point for more inquisitive youths. The curiosity and seeking nature of the new moon is clear in its influence here.

Passives
+10 to Combat Perception
+5 to Spiritual Avoid
+5 to Formations when deciphering arrays
+5 to Academics when researching new information

Inquisitive Study: D
Duration: Long
The users eyes gleam briefly with a silver sheen as they study the object of their curiosity. The users perception increases greatly for a single test, allowing them to discern many details that they might otherwise miss.

Seeking Moon's Eyes: C
Duration: Short
Conjures three reflective silver wisps the size of a coin. Expressions of the Diviners curiosity, these wisps seek their parents interest eagerly. The wisps ignore wholly physical obstacles but cannot travel further than Near distance from their creator. The creator may see from the wisps position as if they stood there themselves, though only in one direction at a time. This greatly increases their combat perception in the areas within which this sight overlaps.

Statblock
Health: H
Speed: E, Initiative: F
Avoid: D, Armor H
Curious Diviners Eye
-Elements: Moon, Water(lol)
-Meridians: Primary Head, Secondary Lung
-Keywords: Academics, Intelligence, Perceptiveness, Projection, Secrets

Hidden Moon's Divination art. Head(3) and Moon meridians defines the objective of sating curiosity, while Lung(2) and Water meridians defines the approach(Projected senses which pass through barriers).
Judging by the meridian spread, it'd likely improve the number or range of projections first, before improving the quality of information obtained...and it has a particularly interesting note of Formations interactions, with a bonus to figuring out how to bypass security which might otherwise keep it from just noclipping through a wall.

-Combat utility: Sentry, SCS spawnpoint.

Its a limited counter to stealth opponents, though the wisps are not exactly hard to kill beyond being an inch big...but since SCS lets us teleport anywhere we can see, well, it'd make pinning Ling Qi down harder.
Inquisitive Study should also interact with the Qi Perception that Argent Mirror gave us, which should help us see deeper than the elements of an opponent(IIRC yrs mentioned once this was basically a perception check to make out more detials than just their two best elements?), which should help with strategizing.
Lots of ifs and maybes, but thats kind of how it goes with information gathering arts.

-Playstyle utility: Infiltration tool. Research tool. Social tool.

Quite versatile, since Inquisitive Study applies to base perception, it can be used to augment nearly anything noticing a detail would be good for. Whether this is a talisman, a trap, or listening in on a quiet conversation a distance away, its broadly useful...which also means it'd have a bit of a hard time being specifically useful without other perception arts.

Seeking Moon's Eyes is a lot more direct in applicability. It lets us spy on the contents of drawers without actually opening them, it lets us teleport through unwarded walls by sending a sensor through them to see, and getting through locks and formations is a lot easier if you can get a closer look without actually getting closer.

-Domain slot message: "Seek out secrets wherever they are", "Learn whatever you can"

The Domain slot message is...unrefined here because the description doesn't give a lot to work with, and its a little too straightforward to build up unsupported secondary derivatives without using it.

This actually came up a few months ago. IIRC Cultivation arts that give virtual red stones are simply not a thing, although there was one guy who wanted to spend time to invent one to 'help the little guy'. As I recall, we were told that such an art would basically be the culmination of an entire thread worth of effort, if we decided to work for it.
Yes, that's why instead I posited a paired Cultivation Art with a focus on Meridian Opening and an array that helped to consolidate surrounding ambient Qi to serve much the same purpose.

Much simpler.

Yes, that's why instead I posited a paired Cultivation Art with a focus on Meridian Opening and an array that helped to consolidate surrounding ambient Qi to serve much the same purpose.

Much simpler.

it doesn't really sound that simple, tbh.

I mean, red stones are still mined, rather than produced in formation array factories. Yrs said that we should assume that the people in the setting aren't idiots.

I mean, red stones are still mined, rather than produced in formation array factories. Yrs said that we should assume that the people in the setting aren't idiots.
It's not nearly as revolutionary so people may well already be doing it. Although qi-gathering formations have been conspicuously absent so far.

For those who are interested: Expected xp/AP for new arts at 16YSS and medium pills:
Covetous: 47
ENM: 58
Harmony: 56
Lark: 58
Diviner: 95

(yeah, Covetous has problems. It's pure Darkness and despite being Darkness focused we have a distinct lack of cultivation boosts there)

Its probably prohibitively expensive and inefficient to get started to be sure.

But formations are always more user friendly at that level than Cultivation arts. Everythings relative and all.

Harmony of the Dancing Wind
Potency: Green 1
Potency Growth: Green 2(3), Green 3(5)
Max Level 5
Needed Meridians: Head x2, Heart x1(1), Heart(3), Head(5)
Keywords: Connections, Empathy, Presence, Perceptiveness, ManipulationMusic, Wind, Yang
Experience: 100, 150, 200, 300, 400

There lies a beauty in patterns, of spirits and men alike. This melody exults in the complex dance of winds which brings us weather and the seasons, and in doing, teaches the musician to see and pluck at the lesser patterns and connections in the world around. The harmony reveals the web which connects all things, if the players eyes are but sharp enough to see.

Passives
+10 to Social Perception
+5 to Combat Perception
+5 to Spiritual Hit
+5 to Spiritual Avoid

Spring Breeze Canto: D
Duration: Long
This ephemeral melody rings out with the vital curiosity of youth, The melody carries the musician's perception among her listeners, allowing her to clearly hear and see any one of them, regardless of distractions, so long as the songs echoes last

Summer's Day Rising: D
Duration: Short
This piece, embodying the optimism and hope, speaks to the musicians bond with her listeners. Even the tenuous bond of casual acquaintance thrums with new hope, bolstering allies against spiritual attacks and deceptions. Those of stronger bond are bolstered still further, buoyed by their connection with the musician.
Harmony of the Dancing Wind
-Elements: Music, Wind
-Meridians: Head primary, Heart secondary
-Keywords: Connections, Empathy, Presence, Perceptiveness, Manipulation, Yang

Find connections between people(Head, Wind), and then leverage that connection to send effects down to them(Heart, Music).
Pretty straightforward Power of Friendship thing, and especially powerful on your true friends. The description points out that the capstone expands your perception further beyond the first order connections.
Interestingly, for a Manipulation art it dislikes deception.

-Combat utility: Bardic Buff, Team Communication.

Not much to say here, but its a powerful team spiritual defense with friends, and it prevents us from being cut off from the team.

-Playstyle utility: Listening in, scouting

Note that Spring Breeze Canto has a long duration, i.e. we just need to play it once at a party, and refresh it every now and then to be able to zoom in on any conversation at any time.
With a suitably long range instrument(someone mentioned a Zhengui mounted Alphorn or war drum?), it also lets us cast our perception out to ultra long range if we need to reestablish communicatioons when split up.

-Domain slot message: "All things are connected", "Strength lies in true bonds", "Beauty lies in Harmony",

I'm really liking this Domain Message at first impulse...alas it finishes in Green 3, so it'd take a while to get there, but it does bridge between Argent Mirrors See Truth and the Home Domain by elaborating that the Truth is not something that should divide you, but another way to connect.

The really funny part here is how its basically the same message as Covetous Wraith's Yearning, but with a philosophical bent rather than a cynical one.

Man, we really need Darkness cultivation bonuses.

I vote we go looking for a nice Darkness spirit. Like Oooo, what if we got a darkness/stealth spirit? That'd be great. Good mechanical synergy too.

I vote we go looking for a nice Darkness spirit. Like Oooo, what if we got a darkness/stealth spirit? That'd be great. Good mechanical synergy too.
Well that will also likely involve finding darkness attuned sites, which is helpful for the same reason.

Eh, I would not mind moving off darkness. We don't really have a stake in keeping to the theme and soon we will be able to pick and choose the elements for art at will. Darkness will just become an emo phase Ling went though.

Back