Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Something that had even odds of hitting LQ now has 40% odds of hitting LQ. It isn't "20% less chance to hit LQ", it's "If it hits LQ, it has 20% to not hit us". So 20% of 50%, rather than 50-20=30%.

The way it currently works, it's a anti-group mook skill, as it can't work against either non-mooks or non-groups (as a 1vs1 against a mook still won't have it spend more than 1/2 charges at most and be generally useless). I really expected EDD to either begin at like 80% chance to fail or/and to have "When opponent's perception is greater than Ling Qi's stealth".

This is just... awkard.
Wouldn't it also be of use against anyone who uses multi-hit attacks? Or is the system balanced in a way that makes those not particularly useful/threatening anyways.

Wouldn't it also be of use against anyone who uses multi-hit attacks? Or is the system balanced in a way that makes those not particularly useful/threatening anyways.
It depends on how Yrs calls the multi-attacks, but our incoming armour art at least can protect against all the multi attacks as if it was 'one' attack:
Unruffled Stygian Reflection: C
Becoming as the surface of the water, the user absorbs the effects of a damaging technique or attack that is C rank or lower(this includes techniques that hit multiple times). If the technique is an area of effect, the user absorbs the technique's effects within Near range, protecting allies nearby.

I'm thinking based on how it lets her teleport around and manifest illusory copies of herself, its PROBABLY a lead in to a capstone multipresence technique?

Multipresence seems like a Cyan ability to me... except Yan Renshu actually could sort of do it. Mmmh.

I think Yan Renshu's puppet technique is more like remote presence than multipresence, presumably he can't do other actions while possessing a puppet.
Also we have only seen true multipresence from Indigo and above, never from any of the Cyans we have meet.
It might be that most Cyans can't do it unless they specialize, kind of like flight is for Greens.

I think Yan Renshu's puppet technique is more like remote presence than multipresence, presumably he can't do other actions while possessing a puppet.
Also we have only seen true multipresence from Indigo and above, never from any of the Cyans we have meet.
It might be that most Cyans can't do it unless they specialize, kind of like flight is for Greens.
Actually, mmh. Liao Zhu is kinda close to effective multipresence combat in green, isn't he?

Arkeus' idea of starting the scale at 80% or keeping it at 50% but giving better/worse odds based on the perception vs stealth gap instead of a fixed C rank is sorely needed for EDD to be of use beyond the small avoid buff stacks. Plus, at avoid+speed it's competing with wind thief where it will just lose, better give the some of its own identity by making it about the difficulty of distinguishing LQ from the phantoms and attacking the right one.
Yeah. If we then wanted to add to this, there was also the idea we had the other day of it giving LW-based counters when IPF is up.

Alright, so just for fun, I threw together a "simple" visual statsheet of where we are now:
Code:
Attributes                    C   B   A   S   SS
---------------------------------------------------
Health            B34    ||||||---|---
Qi                A18    ||||||---|---|-
Speed             A30    ||||||---|---|--
Initiative        B35    ||||||---|---

Perception (C)    B15    ||||||---|-
Stealth           A37    ||||||---|---|---
Perception (S)    A0     ||||||---|---|
Poise             C10    ||||||-
Dispel            D10    |||||
Resist            A5     ||||||---|---|

P.Avoid           A28    ||||||---|---|--
P.Armor           A10    ||||||---|---|-
S.Avoid           A8     ||||||---|---|-
S.Armor           A10    ||||||---|---|-

Hit (music)       A38    ||||||---|---|---
Pen (music)       A13    ||||||---|---|-

Domain weapon
Hit               A15    ||||||---|---|-
Pen               A30    ||||||---|---|--
Avoid             B27    ||||||---|--
Armor             B27    ||||||---|--

And for a fun look at how far we've come, we can compare that to where we were back in Month ~1-2. Or to put it another way "Bwahahaha! We have become as a GOD! A GOD I say!"
Code:
Health            B15    ||||||---|-
Qi                B10    ||||||---|-
Speed             C7     ||||||-
Initiative        B4     ||||||---|

Perception (C)    C5     ||||||-
Stealth           C27    ||||||---
Perception (S)    C5     ||||||-
Poise             E10?   ||||
Resist            B0     ||||||---|

P.Avoid           B8     ||||||---|-
P.Armor           C17    ||||||--
S.Avoid           C6     ||||||-
S.Armor           B5     ||||||---|

Hit (music)       B25    ||||||---|--
Pen (music)       B8     ||||||---|-

Domain weapon
Hit               B10    ||||||---|-
Pen               B25    ||||||---|--
Avoid             C15    ||||||--
Armor             C15    ||||||--

Last edited:
Thoughts on a couple things.

Cheerful Muse's Accompaniment: C
When Ling Qi activates a non damaging music or wind art, if Sixiang has not already acted that turn, they may activate this technique and enhance one parameter of the art significantly. Valid parameters are Hit, Effect, Duration, or Resist.
This tech really should be updated with one or both of Moon and Dance. It doesn't make sense that Sixiang can't boost PLR or our lunar muse based social art, while being able to boost, say, HDM or SES.

Ephemeral Dreamlit Dancer: C
Duration: Short
Having begun to understand the nature of the dreams, the user flits from place to place, shrouded in the phantoms of paths not taken. While active the users speed is increased significantly. Techniques which would still hit the user have a 50% chance to simply fail (-15% for each rank of Combat Perception above C) to simply fail, shattering instead some of the dreamlike phantom images the user is shrouded in. Each use of this technique generates three 'charges' which do not stack with additional uses. Each charge provides a small stacking boost to Physical Avoid.
It's pretty neat to see behind the veil to how it actually works, with the numbers and all. Other people have commented on how this isn't very reliable, but there's another aspect to it I don't think anyone's addressed. The tech is rank C. That makes it cheap, but it also means an inherent disadvantage against higher ranked techniques on top of those explicitly detailed in the numbers. I'd expect the effectiveness to be roughly halved against a B rank attack. Considering those are what we really want to block or counter with our own techs, that makes EDD pretty underwhelming and niche. Effectively, the tech suffers from an extra "potency" background modifier, but only against the user, never in their favor. Since it only scales by enemy goodness, and we don't contest it with our goodness. Double the art obsolescence.

Solutions:
1. Replace the "-15%" part with "adjusted by stealth contest" like how some arts have "adjusted by potency" in their tech effects.
2. Make the fail chance per charge so it starts off strong and stays that way with some luck, but gets worn down. Clarity edit: I meant having attacks run through all the charges in a row, but this could also have been interpretted as the first charge being strongest and progressively weakening as charges are expended.
3. Have the tech ignore enemy rank differentials, so it's numerically middle of the road but scales well against powerful enemy techniques.

Yeah. If we then wanted to add to this, there was also the idea we had the other day of it giving LW-based counters when IPF is up.
This is also a good idea. If I follow correctly, basically the dream duplicates would shift into a LW dancer counterattack against attackers when 'popped' by an attack. Doesn't help the low success rate, but it does give an extra punch to success, plus combos are always neat.

Last edited:
And now: Hanyi!

Or as as we affectionately refer to her: that delicate glass flower that we can't let out of our sight. Also it's a good thing we don't rely on her being able to see anything :V
Code:
Health            C20    ||||||--
Qi                B0     ||||||---|
Speed             C20    ||||||--
Initiative        D10    |||||

Perception (C)    E10    ||||
Stealth           D0     |||||
Perception (S)    D0     |||||
Poise             E10    ||||
Dispel            NA     
Resist            D10    |||||

P.Avoid           C15    ||||||--
P.Armor           D0     |||||
S.Avoid           D15    |||||
S.Armor           C20    ||||||--

Hit (music)       B20    ||||||---|--
Pen (music)       B20    ||||||---|--

And Zhengui:
Code:
Health            B20    ||||||---|--
Qi                B8     ||||||---|-
Speed             E0     ||||
Initiative        E0     ||||

Perception (C)    C20    ||||||--                 (with LQ in plant-heavy region)
Stealth           E0     ||||
Perception (S)    F5     |||
Poise             D10    ||||
Dispel            D0     ||||
Resist            C15    ||||||--

P.Avoid           E0     ||||
P.Armor           A38    ||||||---|---|---
S.Avoid           D0     |||||                    (with LQ)
S.Armor           A8     ||||||---|---|-

Hit (melee)       B18    ||||||---|--
Pen (melee, wood) B      ||||||---|
Pen (melee, fire) B15    ||||||---|--

Hit (range)       B3     ||||||---|
Pen (range, wood) C15    ||||||--
Pen (range, fire) B0     ||||||---|
did u kno that Zhengui has higher Speech than Hanyi? :D

For the record, I think LW (and PLR in general) can and should remain counter-free; if we want EDD to be more useful within IPF then give it charge refresh or something.

Alright, so just for fun, I threw together a "simple" visual statsheet of where we are now:
Code:
Health            B34    ||||||---|---
Qi                A18    ||||||---|---|-
Speed             A30    ||||||---|---|--
Initiative        B35    ||||||---|---

Perception (C)    B15    ||||||---|-
Stealth           A37    ||||||---|---|---
Perception (S)    A0     ||||||---|---|
Poise             C10    ||||||-
Resist            A5     ||||||---|---|

P.Avoid           A28    ||||||---|---|--
P.Armor           A10    ||||||---|---|-
S.Avoid           A8     ||||||---|---|-
S.Armor           A10    ||||||---|---|-

Hit (music)       A38    ||||||---|---|---
Pen (music)       A13    ||||||---|---|-

Domain weapon
Hit               A15    ||||||---|---|-
Pen               A30    ||||||---|---|--
Avoid             B27    ||||||---|--
Armor             B27    ||||||---|--

And for a fun look at how far we've come, we can compare that to where we were back in Month ~1-2. Or to put it another way "Bwahahaha! We have become as a GOD! A GOD I say!"
Code:
Health            B15    ||||||---|-
Qi                B10    ||||||---|-
Speed             C7     ||||||-
Initiative        B4     ||||||---|

Perception (C)    C5     ||||||-
Stealth           C27    ||||||---
Perception (S)    C5     ||||||-
Poise             E10?   ||||
Resist            B0     ||||||---|

P.Avoid           B8     ||||||---|-
P.Armor           C17    ||||||--
S.Avoid           C6     ||||||-
S.Armor           B5     ||||||---|

Hit (music)       B25    ||||||---|--
Pen (music)       B8     ||||||---|-

Domain weapon
Hit               B10    ||||||---|-
Pen               B25    ||||||---|--
Avoid             C15    ||||||--
Armor             C15    ||||||--
Nice visual. It seems Ling Qi took a few class levels in facetanking and ninja...

More seriously, i notice the sole skill that didn't increase is Dispel, where we shamelessly (ab)use Six instead.

Last edited:
It is a good thing that we don't have sect duels anymore. Imagine if someone we challenged made it a spiritless fight and was good at debuffs.

okay but can we respect Sixiang's choice of pronouns (and associated titles) when we ship them

....excuse me while I perform linguistic black magic to generate something appropriate...

[insert sound of timer dinging]

The appropriate word for shipping Sixiang with is...

husbaifu.

thanks, y'all

(but seriously though, I keep reading "husbando" and "Sixiang" in the same sentence and wincing every time)

Oh, another way to iron out EDD's issues is just dropping the perception-based modifier. The perception stuff got stripped from the rest of the art, so it'd be consistent.

Currently, it doesn't make much sense. The flavor is Ling Qi hiding among a bunch of magic clones, hence the %-chance attack negation. Enemies having good perception being able to counter the move makes sense, but so does Ling Qi being able to hide good mitigating that counter. If you only have the first, then the art's user is at a disadvantage that doesn't really make sense.

Not wanting things complicated is fair @yrsillar, but the factor of perception should then either be cut completely, or applied as a contest. Cultivation and art potency are already additional factors to attack v dodge, relative stealth/perception doesn't seem any different to me.

Edit: sidenote, but the fact Ling Qi doesn't have any arts that give her or her surroundings "stealth environment" anymore is pretty funny. Good thing Vanishing means she shouldn't really need any to stealth.

Last edited:
okay but can we respect Sixiang's choice of pronouns (and associated titles) when we ship them

....excuse me while I perform linguistic black magic to generate something appropriate...

[insert sound of timer dinging]

The appropriate word for shipping Sixiang with is...

husbaifu.

thanks, y'all

(but seriously though, I keep reading "husbando" and "Sixiang" in the same sentence and wincing every time)
Theyfriend or something like that?

Took me 3 days but I got myself all caught up on this epic quest. Might be an aside but would there be a recc thread for stories like Threads of Destiny. Not neccesarily on this site but like epic long stories like this. I think this would qualify under the wuxia genre?

Not neccesarily on this site but like epic long stories like this. I think this would qualify under the wuxia genre?
there was

Street Cultivation - a modern wuxia/litrpg hybrid

on rrl. It basically does what it says on the title. Though the Author decided to remove the first volume off rrl due to it being sold on Amazon (and since it sold pretty well, so the Author decided to add the volume 2 on rrl).

On another fic like this though, your out of luck as far as I know.

Back