Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
It's possible that this early pairing with Bai Xiao Fen was Meizhen's favor. It's not clear that everyone in Meizhen's position eventually gets paired with a Black Viper - there may be less prestigious handmaidens for those who don't earn that honor.

(not totally up to date, sorry if people have said this before)

Last edited:
i doubt that would be it. Meizhen said she could use the favor to have Ling Qi as her handmaiden instead of the regular one, i double getting a handmaiden at all would count as a favor.
If you consider CRX or Han Jian, it's high time Meizhen get her own "homegrown" minion.

except that Han Jian and CRX got lower-ranking minions. Meizhen got someone who is also from a ducal clan. However, the point is that the favour could be getting a handmaiden early- previously, she'd presumably have to wait until she was older. (A mundane explanation would be that handmaidens are usually assigned when a Bai marries and moves out of their parents' home, since beforehand the duties are covered by their parents' handmaiden/s

Given the distances involved from the Thousand Lakes and the Emerald Seas, I find it hard to believe that Xiao Fen was instructed to come to the Argent Sect at the last moment and then made it in time to be here for orientation. Additionally, there would be time to register her and pay the fees involved. It's possible that the favor was used to expedite Xiao Fen's travel to the Argent Sect, but I am pretty sure that Xiao Fen coming here was already preplanned for a while.

My belief is that the favor is going to be used to get Meizhen assigned to Cai Rexiang's court as a representative of the Bai. Maybe that won't be needed now with the Bai/Cai alliance, which then the favor is probably going to be held on to for a bit. A favor later is probably going to be more valuable than a favor now.

I think Darkness is too prevalent to really be marked as a rare and exotic element on the level of Moon and Music, even if it isn't part of the Imperial Eight or Traditional Five.
Darkness is definitely an uncommon, exotic element though? The Darkness cultivators known are all family traditions(Huang Da is a Count family, Meizhen is a Duke family) or rare drops(Renshu and Ling Qi)
Like, Huang Da got a token from simply successfully cultivating Darkness at Red.

As element rarities go, my impression is:
-Common: Imperial Eight, Traditional Five. These are the stuff that are basically omnipresent across the Empire, with the elements in the overlap(Fire, Water, Earth) being particularly common. It'd be rarer to find someone without SOME proficiency in them.

-Uncommon: First order derivatives. Light, Darkness, Music, Cold, etc. These are things that you usually can reach through insight in a Common element. Heaven or Fire to Light, Earth or Water to Darkness, Wind or Thunder to Music, Wind or Water to Cold. Certainly you could go straight to them, but its going to be tough. These guys can be found in any given batch, but they will not be common in any given batch.

-Rare: Second order derivatives or unusual and demanding elements. Moon, Sun, Life, Death, etc. These are stuff which are extremely hard to come across, or they will bend your life around the art. You won't expect to find more than a handful of these even in a group of a thousand, unless its a specialized group.
Given the distances involved from the Thousand Lakes and the Emerald Seas, I find it hard to believe that Xiao Fen was instructed to come to the Argent Sect at the last moment and then made it in time to be here for orientation. Additionally, there would be time to register her and pay the fees involved. It's possible that the favor was used to expedite Xiao Fen's travel to the Argent Sect, but I am pretty sure that Xiao Fen coming here was already preplanned for a while.

My belief is that the favor is going to be used to get Meizhen assigned to Cai Rexiang's court as a representative of the Bai. Maybe that won't be needed now with the Bai/Cai alliance, which then the favor is probably going to be held on to for a bit. A favor later is probably going to be more valuable than a favor now.
My belief is that the favor is spent to assign Meizhen as future ambassador to Cai Renxiang, but such a favor is hardly going to be announced. Not in the Bai!
They'd just send her like they meant to do it that way to begin with.

That said, I believe Xiao Fen was probably dispatched early to capitalize on the alliance and to bond with Meizhen. Likely in the normal course of things, Meizhen would have stayed the mandatory second year in the Sect, then go home to settle down and bond with her Bai-trained handmaiden.
Events changed that:
-Xiao Fen just so happens to be the right age for the Sect. Even in a clan as extensive as the Bai, finding a candidate of the right age to send with enough Talent to not embarrass the clan(by which they mean take the top four) and yet not important enough to be simply kept in-house is hard. But Meizhen's assigned handmaiden is naturally of close age, and at least as expendable as Meizhen.
-They needed someone who could make use of having a Senior in the Sect to advise about this...unfortunately back home Meizhen is a cultivating shut in, so the only peer she has any kind of positive connection with would be her assigned handmaiden.
-Theres probably some cultivation hoodoo for a servitor clan arrangement. Xiao Fen would likely need some access to her primary during her Early Green to get their domains to synchronized properly. Since Meizhen is staying with the Sect and then likely leaving around the same time as Renxiang, the usual solution of doing it at home after a year of Inner Sect is out. So they send Xiao Fen to get into the Inner Sect by the second year to get the magic done.

I expect Xiao Fen learned she was to pack to go to the Sect around the middle of last year.

I think Darkness is too prevalent to really be marked as a rare and exotic element on the level of Moon and Music, even if it isn't part of the Imperial Eight or Traditional Five.

As far as our personal Cultivation is concerned, you would be correct - Darkness is our single most common Meridian, at just over one quarter of our total Meridians (10/39), while Moon has four and Music one.

As far as the wider pool of Cultivators is concerned? It's rare and/or exotic, and is outright considered such in setting.

In our year, there were perhaps three people who picked up Darkness Arts - Ling Qi, Bai Maizhen (iirc), and Huang Da. Out of a few hundred people, we know of three.

In the years immediately around us, we know of one, Yan Renshu.

In the incoming crowd, we are aware of one, Bai Xiao Fen.

In the Inner Sect... we know of one, the Masked Moon guy who's name escapes me.

Sect Elders? One, Sima Jiao.

In total, we know of less than a double handful of Darkness users, out of well over a thousand - not that LQ knows all of those people, or their abilities, personally; this is true.

It is also true that there are fewer Moon users than even that in the sect, at something like three.

Music is unknown. We have a music Meridian, but we don't know how prevalent that is among musicians in general.

Light and Sun are similarly rare, though we know far less about them than we do Darkness and Moon.

Because we have a huge sample size, right?

And regardless, making our own arts is something we will simply have to do at some point. Rarity of elements doesn't factor that much in the long run.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Vanguard_D on Dec 5, 2018 at 11:39 AM, finished with 356 posts and 156 votes.

Connection + Darkness could make some interesting stuff...

But yeah, looks like we've got a pretty good spread for a first dive in.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Vanguard_D on Dec 5, 2018 at 11:39 AM, finished with 356 posts and 156 votes.

Xiao Fen being sent to the Sect doesn't have to be due to her being assigned as Bai's handmaiden. Also, how I suspect handmaidens are handled is that it's decided at a fairly young age who will be handmaiden to who and they grow up together (in the "childhood friends" sense, or as close as the Bai get, anyway) so Meizhen knew that Xiao Fen would be her handmaiden at some point- the favour just meant Xiao Fen actually got officially given the job sooner than usual (which might explain some of the initial hostility from Xiao Fen to Ling Qi...)

Darkness is definitely an uncommon, exotic element though? The Darkness cultivators known are all family traditions(Huang Da is a Count family, Meizhen is a Duke family) or rare drops(Renshu and Ling Qi)
Like, Huang Da got a token from simply successfully cultivating Darkness at Red.

-Common: Imperial Eight, Traditional Five. These are the stuff that are basically omnipresent across the Empire, with the elements in the overlap(Fire, Water, Earth) being particularly common. It'd be rarer to find someone without SOME proficiency in them.

-Uncommon: First order derivatives. Light, Darkness, Music, Cold, etc. These are things that you usually can reach through insight in a Common element. Heaven or Fire to Light, Earth or Water to Darkness, Wind or Thunder to Music, Wind or Water to Cold. Certainly you could go straight to them, but its going to be tough. These guys can be found in any given batch, but they will not be common in any given batch.

-Rare: Second order derivatives or unusual and demanding elements. Moon, Sun, Life, Death, etc. These are stuff which are extremely hard to come across, or they will bend your life around the art. You won't expect to find more than a handful of these even in a group of a thousand, unless its a specialized group.

As far as our personal Cultivation is concerned, you would be correct - Darkness is our single most common Meridian, at just over one quarter of our total Meridians (10/39), while Moon has four and Music one.

As far as the wider pool of Cultivators is concerned? It's rare and/or exotic, and is outright considered such in setting.

In our year, there were perhaps three people who picked up Darkness Arts - Ling Qi, Bai Maizhen (iirc), and Huang Da. Out of a few hundred people, we know of three.

In the years immediately around us, we know of one, Yan Renshu.

In the incoming crowd, we are aware of one, Bai Xiao Fen.

In the Inner Sect... we know of one, the Masked Moon guy who's name escapes me.

Sect Elders? One, Sima Jiao.

In total, we know of less than a double handful of Darkness users, out of well over a thousand - not that LQ knows all of those people, or their abilities, personally; this is true.

It is also true that there are fewer Moon users than even that in the sect, at something like three.

Music is unknown. We have a music Meridian, but we don't know how prevalent that is among musicians in general.

Light and Sun are similarly rare, though we know far less about them than we do Darkness and Moon.
We don't really know enough about arts or the elemental load out of other cultivators to talk definitively about this but from what we've seen Darkness arts are far more common in the lower levels than Moon or Music.

Music we've seen take over a meridian but that's pretty much it as I far as I can tell. Moon, I'd expect to have been our opening gift from our Moon patron if such was possible.

This suggests to me that Darkness is the most common of the three; especially with Moon's mirror, Sun, requiring the Gu's super awesome art to first start with Fire and Heaven. Also not sure why Darkness is thought to use Earth or Water as a transition step when SCS suggests otherwise?

Last edited:
, i [doubt] getting a handmaiden at all would count as a favor.

Of course not, but whether Bai Xiao Fen of the Black Vipers is the ordinary due of Meizhen's station is not at all clear. There are three factors here that indicate this is a prestigious honor for Meizhen that puts her ahead of her peers in their rat race in a way well worth a favor:
  • "It would be foolish to insult the devotion of the Black Viper with less,"
    This passage may be simple truth rather than Meizhen being polite/nice; it's not necessarily true that all handmaidens come from the Black Vipers.
  • Meizhen mentions the pairing is being made early; it may be that one must render merit in a way not usually possible at Green Appraisal to get a handmaiden
  • Bai Xiao Fen is entering the Outer Sect having already reached the Second Realm, indicating considerable talent or backing; several of Meizhen's peers may have been vying for her.
I don't mean to claim this is conclusive, but there's enough evidence this is a big deal that we should respect the possibility until we get confirmation otherwise, particularly in regard to any decisions we get about how to treat Xiao Fen.

Last edited:

I strongly disagree with your placement of Music. You place Music on the same rank as Darkness, despite us being able to use the later just by picking up an appropriate Art while the former required an Insight. Furthermore, the fact that FSS has two water, two darkness, and ZERO music meridians despite it being a music art should indicate that Music and Darkness are not of the same complexity.

"Should I defeat Sun Liling publically and completely during the tournament, I believe Grandfather would be willing to grant me a minor favor if I request it," the pale girl said, plucking at the hem of her sleeve. "To that end, I could take you as my official handmaiden, rather than selecting one from among the Xiao clan, as is traditional."

given this quote from FoD week 34 we can see that Meizhen getting a handmaiden is normal and the only unusual part is how early it happened.

The Darkness cultivators known are all family traditions(Huang Da is a Count family, Meizhen is a Duke family) or rare drops(Renshu and Ling Qi)
When do we get event up for Ling Qi Lilly? Gotta get that rare costume.

That also begs an important question... who rolled the gacha? Meizhen or Renxiang?
Or perhaps, the Sect itself?

Yrs, I'm open to start working on the mobile game. Call me.

We don't really know enough about arts or the elemental load out of other cultivators to talk definitively about this but from what we've seen Darkness arts are far more common in the lower levels than Moon or Music.

Music we've seen take over a meridian but that's pretty much it as I far as I can tell. Moon, I'd expect to have been our opening gift from our Moon patron if such was possible.

This suggests to me that Darkness is the most common of the three; especially with Moon's mirror, Sun, requiring the Gu's super awesome art to first start with Fire and Heaven. Also not sure why Darkness is thought to use Earth or Water as a transition step when SCS suggests otherwise?
It's interesting you mention SCS since it directly calls Darkness a rare element. Though that doesn't contradict your point; just means that we should call Music something like exotic or advanced rather than merely rare.
Personally I think Moon is in the same tier as Darkness.

given this quote from FoD week 34 we can see that Meizhen getting a handmaiden is normal and the only unusual part is how early it happened.
It's a good catch that the Xiao clan is specifically mentioned! However, tradition doesn't mean it comes unearned and I do think her already being at early yellow is notable as well.

Last edited:
When do we get event up for Ling Qi Lilly? Gotta get that rare costume.

That also begs an important question... who rolled the gacha? Meizhen or Renxiang?
Or perhaps, the Sect itself?

Yrs, I'm open to start working on the mobile game. Call me.
Meizhen obviously. It was her who had the really awkward "love declaration" scene with her Bond 10 servant that didn't go anywhere.

Last edited:
i don't know people seem to think this handmaiden thing is happening earlier than usual based on exactly no evidence, for all we know this could be the normal time

Back