Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Oh god.
Gu Xiulan or Su Ling, Gu Xiulan or Su Ling?

argh why do you give us such hard choices Yrsillar?!??

We anime protagonist now.
I made this point last week and I am shamed beyond shame to have been proved right.
[X] Defend and Counter

I like this thematically. This entire arc has been "defend and counter." We keep putting ourself in harm's way because we're confident that we can handle it and hit the enemy back hard enough to stop them. It really feels like it's building to an Advanced Insight that buds off our TRF Insight: not just "I will give a certain amount of ground, but not an infinite amount," but a kind of defense-of-others-leading-to-overwhelming-offense and oh god as I type this I realize I am describing Super Saiyan, we're becoming a shounen hero, shut it down, shut it all down

Unbroken Will: A skill representing Ling Qi's raw, tenacious will to live, even in the face of insurmountable odds. Allows the use of Resolve in the place of Stamina for physical armor.

I actually screamed "[Word person of my ethnicity isn't allowed to use] WHAT" on reading this Mechanic.

I don't use that word.

Alectai makes some really good points about the Su Ling option. After seeing the interactions between Ling Qi and Xiulan in this update though, I really want to read about Xiulan's perspective. We also haven't seen all that much of her in Threads in general.

[X] Churning (Gu Xiulan)

Also, like others have said, this update was amazing.

Last edited:
[] Churning (Gu Xiulan)

I'm going to vote for this option due to the interaction between LQ/Xiulan in the past updates, and well to our knowledge LQ is the only friend Xiulan has.

A consequence of how we set the thing up-it does a lot of little number-boosting across the board instead of having big flashy actions like freezing someone solid, it makes all our songs that much more effective and whatnot. I'd have to double-check the re-forging that happened but I imagine that number-boosting nature probably set it away from doing something big and flashy.
I'm fine with it not doing anything big and flashy. I just kinda expect swords to stab people. Maybe it's just a side effect of the levels we operate at. There have just been a few times I've been reading the quest lately and I think, " Now would be a real for our sword to stab or distract a mofo." If our enemies had domain weapons of their own I would assume they were fighting each other and that's where it is.

I'm fine with it not doing anything big and flashy. I just kinda expect swords to stab people. Maybe it's just a side effect of the levels we operate at. There have just been a few times I've been reading the quest lately and I think, " Now would be a real for our sword to stab or distract a mofo." If our enemies had domain weapons of their own I would assume they were fighting each other and that's where it is.

It does do that?

Just this arc Ling Qi used it to kill nomads and their mounts, more specifically on the chapter that was edited (I didn't remember the precise number)

Okay you know what? Anyone arguing that we need more X off anything that happened here can toss it- this was a thing where we very easily could have been pulled into something far beyond our reach and slain if we weren't more cautious.

I REALLY hope however, that the Empire at large pays attention, and at least has good reasons for not reinforcing the Sect after this. I CAN see them doing something like altering Sect priorities given that more then a few noble 2nd and 3rd from Heirs probably just died, to say nothing of the loss of the Elder, but uhh, yeah that's a significant hole blown in the Empire's defenses, and I expect to see some major mobilization as a result.

EDIT: Because why doublepost when you have an edit button?

A consequence of how we set the thing up-it does a lot of little number-boosting across the board instead of having big flashy actions like freezing someone solid, it makes all our songs that much more effective and whatnot. I'd have to double-check the re-forging that happened but I imagine that number-boosting nature probably set it away from doing something big and flashy.
number boosting is useless in the current system in the amounts we have access to.

The way I see it, the sword is the embodiment of this futurama quote:

It does a lot of things under the hood, but barely anything visible

Fortitude and Resilience advances to Unbroken Will

Unbroken Will: A skill representing Ling Qi's raw, tenacious will to live, even in the face of insurmountable odds. Allows the use of Resolve in the place of Stamina for physical armor.

Replacing one of our Physical stats with a Mental one, we're getting closer to being a true phantom :V

Edit: Also @yrsillar was Zhao's death set in stone? Or was it due to rolls?

Last edited:
That bit was set. I am working on the domain weapon issue

Bro, you gotta worry about ways for ZG, Hanyi, Six, and LG herself to contribute in every single scene, before you even get into scene specific allies.

If something's going to be behind the scenes out of those, I'd prefer it to be the spinny misty screaming murder stick, as cool as it is.

Bro, you gotta worry about ways for ZG, Hanyi, Six, and LG herself to contribute in every single scene, before you even get into scene specific allies.

If something's going to be behind the scenes out of those, I'd prefer it to be the spinny misty screaming murder stick, as cool as it is.
all three of those characters we have bound have reasons to not contribute in lots of scenes.

I really am torn by this vote, but in the end the option with the least likely chance of getting fast information in character wins in this case.

[X] Shockwaves (Su Ling)

"Perhaps if it were merely severed," he said shaking his head. "But no, it is gone, devoured flesh and spirit. Even the channels are gone. I will simply have to adjust."
So seeing as most mechanical arms here likely make use of the Spirit being around he is unlikely to fix this until Iron where the cultivator gets can reshape their body iirc.

So seeing as most mechanical arms here likely make use of the Spirit being around he is unlikely to fix this until Iron where the cultivator gets can reshape their body iirc.
Depends on wether or not there is a similar effect for the spirit, otherwise it would probably just hang around uselessly.

Back