Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
FULLY OPTIMAL HUSBANDOTRON 8000

i love this guy, he is both practical and ambitious in good measure.

Pity about the 3, but Hanyi is a cutie.

You know, I see that a lot but it really doesn't make sense.

This is a very curated quest. We very, very rarely get "write-in" votes where players can just vote for whatever. We normally get to select from a small number of options, each of which presumably would make sense for Linq Qi to do.

Can anyone actually name any "bizarre behavior" resulting from quest votes? I can't think of any.
I do agree that this is heavily curated, but there is still plenty of planning and alterations cause by us. Remember, in Forge Ling Qi's weekly schedule was argued over and optimized months in advance, with cultivation coming as a result of large portions of time shoved into it helped with some small bonus from fan contributions.

Ling Qi's whole relationship with her friends was weird for a long time as we the player injected modern western morality and rpg relationship mechanics in. We gave and shared valuable recourses in a weirdly close and intimate way for a cultivator society based off Confucianism and Taoism. We've had her spit in Sun Liling's face by snooping around her defenses and embarrassing her allies. We had her force herself to acclimate to a Bai's terror aura through exposure, we had her pursue the moon path in part because of Moon Mom.

Any one thing we've done isn't too bad because as you said, the options are wisely curated. But in aggregate they pile on in a weird way to make Ling Qi believably and weirdly unique for her world.

We gave and shared valuable recourses in a weirdly close and intimate way for a cultivator society based off Confucianism and Taoism.
I'd like to clarify because I see this statement as incorrect, and I'm the one who wrote...at least some of the posts where I think this sentence originates. The thing that made sharing in this way strange was the divide between the information age audience and the medieval treatment of knowledge, not the difference between East/West. The West, at a minimum before the advent of the printing press and more probably into the industrial age, had an outlook oriented towards guarded personal libraries or unique manuscripts, as well. That only changed due to shifts in the dynamic of how information could be produced, and confusing those shifts as being Western, rather than as being modern, would be a mistake. It appears Western because it's a dynamic dependent on technologies that gained prominence there (they weren't even invented there, they took off there for various reasons) and because Europe pressed the idea of a special and unique Westernness onto the rest of the world for several centuries.

I also want to point out that to be more accurate. LQ's attitude is weird in a xianxia setting because as I pointed out again and again it's the Chinese equivalent of the shitty Competent! Mature! Powerful! Harem! Harry and Naruto fics. Where being a good person doesn't pay and being an asshole is the winning strat.

There is nothing in Chinese philosophical thoughts and philosophical traditions that encourages any of that.

Also she's a street rat mingling with high society. It would be bizarre if her reactions didnt trip up the privileged 1%

So let's step back from the borderline Orientalist arguments

Last edited:
I also want to point out that to be more accurate. LQ's attitude is weird in a xianxia setting because as I pointed out again and again it's the Chinese equivalent of the shitty Competent! Mature! Powerful! Harem! Harry and Naruto fics. Where being a good person doesn't pay and being an asshole is the winning strat.
I'm having some difficulty passing this comment. Do you mean the setting is this or LQ's attitude? It might be as i have issues recalling many of LQ's previus actions in detail, but i don't recall her fitting anything about being Mature! Competnet! or Harem!

I also don't read all the comments so previous answer to this I would have missed.

I'm having some difficulty passing this comment. Do you mean the setting is this or LQ's attitude? It might be as i have issues recalling many of LQ's previus actions in detail, but i don't recall her fitting anything about being Mature! Competnet! or Harem!

I also don't read all the comments so previous answer to this I would have missed.
The xianxia setting is known for being abused by authors who are seeking to write power fantasies. Those power fantasies often involve reveling in behavior that is frowned upon in traditional Chinese society. FOD has done a really good job at avoiding a lot of pitfalls that other xianxia writers fallen into.

So... various reactions.
- I'm actually rather glad we got that 3 on an exploration roll rather than an encounter roll. I'm not sure what an encounter roll of 3 would have been, but I suspect it would have been *ugly*.

- Bao Qian? I like him. He has plausible ambitions that suggest that he might be able to keep pace with us - not keep up, exactly, but keep advancing himself in ways that mean that he continues to be relevant. He's also a build/alignment that's focused on resource management - somethign that Ling Qi is not specialized in. It makes him an excellent choice for the husbando who stays in the fief and keeps the family economy running. He's also positioned well politically. He's deep enough into the Bao that the marriage is not wasted from the perspective of the Cai, but he's also a vassal of the Cai, not a direct heir, and highly likely to wind up far enough behind us in cultivation to naturally slide to the subordinate role, which means that there won't be any of the uglier kinds of conflict of interest to deal with. Beyond that... I suspect that pushing his social link up is likely to pay off heavily in resources, and perhaps lightly in politics, both of which are valuable things to have.

- Contrast to Shen Hu: I find Shen Hu quite appealing in a number of ways, but he doesn't have any real political connections. Marrying him would be a disservice to the Cai in a very real way, and I don't think we can really justify that. That's not true about Bao Qian. Also... Shen Hu is potentially fun to be around, and has some interesting cultivation techniques, and is a decent guy to have at your back in a fight (or in front of you in a spar), and is very nice to look at, but he doesn't have the skills that we'd probably want Shen Hu to have. There's not a lot of long-term synergy there, except perhaps on the field of battle, and even that is hampered by the fact that he's not particularly well-suited for a serious role in CRX's inner circle, and Ling Qi's duties are likely to take her places that he'll find it much harder to get into. I'm sure he will uncover hidden potential and whatnot, and that'll probably be helpful, but that's because *everyone* uncovers hidden potential and whatnot. Basically, he'd be a great pick for a youthful fling, but is a poor choice for marriage... and Ling Qi really doesn't seem like the "youthful fling" type - at least not at the moment. Regardless, I don't think that Shen Hu and Bai Qian are meaningful contenders.

- Contrast to Xuan Shi: Xuan Shi is from a different ducal house, and apparently pretty highly placed within it. He has enough political presence that influence over him is useful to the Cai, but he also has enough political presence that it would have to be carefully worked around in order to enable any sort of marriage between them. The Xuan would have much preferred to get to Ling Qi *before* the Cai did. As it stands... the things they might wish to gain out of marrying her are potentially fraught with difficulty later on down the line, especially if relations between the Cai and the Xuan fray.

So, yeah. I like him. He's high enough quality overall to be potentially worth marrying, there are significant useful synergies between them, his political position is such that there's a nice chunk of upside with no real downside, and He seems to have a decent personality. That's... honestly better than we might have expected, given the constraints we're operating under (ie, the whole Cai thing, and what it does to our marriage situation).

Points of synergy:
- He's specialized in resource management - something that, as yet, we've put very little effort into. We can simply let him handle that for us in large part, and save ourselves the otherwise quite necessary effort of developing it. In turn, we can provide a level of martial response that I suspect he'd be hard-pressed to match in defending the familial holdings.
- Ling Qi is excellent at acquiring rare resources (like, say, a Xuan Wu with a unique elemental signature). Bao Qian has specialized himself in finding non-damaging ways to gain advantage from such things, and leverage them into competitive advantage. These two things work together very well indeed.
- The man has a fair bit of political skill, and is already prepared to position himself in a way that manages our... unusual political positioning, to our benefit. That has some real value. At the same time, we have a habit of acquiring strange political advantages in the same way we do of acquiring strange cultivation advantages. Having a husband who's both good at social and politics in general, and welcomes the chaos that that will bring to his political sphere has real value. I suspect he'd thrive in it, and that we'd benefit from his thriving.

Like I said, there's a lot to like there. I'd almost be concerned that this was a set-up of some sort, except that it was obviously orchestrated by the Bao. Trying to pull anything in this that would be to the clear detriment of CRX would be a *devastatingly* bad idea for them, and they know it. Even outside of our own reasonably impressive ability to perceive, there's strong reason to believe that the man is essentially what he presents himself to be.

- Contrast to Shen Hu: I find Shen Hu quite appealing in a number of ways, but he doesn't have any real political connections. Marrying him would be a disservice to the Cai in a very real way, and I don't think we can really justify that.
It would be a disservice to us and our family.

If we want our family to be stable, we need a) good genes, b) good resources, c) good cultivators, and d) political connections.

That means good count/ducal scion or high level spirit. Shen Hu really isn't in the running at all.

So... various reactions.
- I'm actually rather glad we got that 3 on an exploration roll rather than an encounter roll. I'm not sure what an encounter roll of 3 would have been, but I suspect it would have been *ugly*.

- Bao Qian? I like him. He has plausible ambitions that suggest that he might be able to keep pace with us - not keep up, exactly, but keep advancing himself in ways that mean that he continues to be relevant. He's also a build/alignment that's focused on resource management - somethign that Ling Qi is not specialized in. It makes him an excellent choice for the husbando who stays in the fief and keeps the family economy running. He's also positioned well politically. He's deep enough into the Bao that the marriage is not wasted from the perspective of the Cai, but he's also a vassal of the Cai, not a direct heir, and highly likely to wind up far enough behind us in cultivation to naturally slide to the subordinate role, which means that there won't be any of the uglier kinds of conflict of interest to deal with. Beyond that... I suspect that pushing his social link up is likely to pay off heavily in resources, and perhaps lightly in politics, both of which are valuable things to have.

- Contrast to Shen Hu: I find Shen Hu quite appealing in a number of ways, but he doesn't have any real political connections. Marrying him would be a disservice to the Cai in a very real way, and I don't think we can really justify that. That's not true about Bao Qian. Also... Shen Hu is potentially fun to be around, and has some interesting cultivation techniques, and is a decent guy to have at your back in a fight (or in front of you in a spar), and is very nice to look at, but he doesn't have the skills that we'd probably want Shen Hu to have. There's not a lot of long-term synergy there, except perhaps on the field of battle, and even that is hampered by the fact that he's not particularly well-suited for a serious role in CRX's inner circle, and Ling Qi's duties are likely to take her places that he'll find it much harder to get into. I'm sure he will uncover hidden potential and whatnot, and that'll probably be helpful, but that's because *everyone* uncovers hidden potential and whatnot. Basically, he'd be a great pick for a youthful fling, but is a poor choice for marriage... and Ling Qi really doesn't seem like the "youthful fling" type - at least not at the moment. Regardless, I don't think that Shen Hu and Bai Qian are meaningful contenders.

- Contrast to Xuan Shi: Xuan Shi is from a different ducal house, and apparently pretty highly placed within it. He has enough political presence that influence over him is useful to the Cai, but he also has enough political presence that it would have to be carefully worked around in order to enable any sort of marriage between them. The Xuan would have much preferred to get to Ling Qi *before* the Cai did. As it stands... the things they might wish to gain out of marrying her are potentially fraught with difficulty later on down the line, especially if relations between the Cai and the Xuan fray.

So, yeah. I like him. He's high enough quality overall to be potentially worth marrying, there are significant useful synergies between them, his political position is such that there's a nice chunk of upside with no real downside, and He seems to have a decent personality. That's... honestly better than we might have expected, given the constraints we're operating under (ie, the whole Cai thing, and what it does to our marriage situation).

Points of synergy:
- He's specialized in resource management - something that, as yet, we've put very little effort into. We can simply let him handle that for us in large part, and save ourselves the otherwise quite necessary effort of developing it. In turn, we can provide a level of martial response that I suspect he'd be hard-pressed to match in defending the familial holdings.
- Ling Qi is excellent at acquiring rare resources (like, say, a Xuan Wu with a unique elemental signature). Bao Qian has specialized himself in finding non-damaging ways to gain advantage from such things, and leverage them into competitive advantage. These two things work together very well indeed.
- The man has a fair bit of political skill, and is already prepared to position himself in a way that manages our... unusual political positioning, to our benefit. That has some real value. At the same time, we have a habit of acquiring strange political advantages in the same way we do of acquiring strange cultivation advantages. Having a husband who's both good at social and politics in general, and welcomes the chaos that that will bring to his political sphere has real value. I suspect he'd thrive in it, and that we'd benefit from his thriving.

Like I said, there's a lot to like there. I'd almost be concerned that this was a set-up of some sort, except that it was obviously orchestrated by the Bao. Trying to pull anything in this that would be to the clear detriment of CRX would be a *devastatingly* bad idea for them, and they know it. Even outside of our own reasonably impressive ability to perceive, there's strong reason to believe that the man is essentially what he presents himself to be.
But does he have abbs? :evil:

Setting aside the marriage prospect for a moment, I think it is incredibly important to cultivate this connection.

The simple matter is that we do not have our own independent source of income right now. We are getting a stipend from Cai and the Sect, and we have stumbled upon some excellent luck in acquiring an artifact which sold well, but we are bleeding money far in excess to what we are gaining. Figuring out a way to start getting additional money flowing back towards us will help us consistently cultivate with the maximum amount of Spirit Stones for a more consistent period of time.

Furthermore, we need access to rare pills and elixirs to help us keep on the bleeding edge of cultivation. While we can get some rare pills and elixirs from the Sect itself, those have been inconsistent in quality and usefulness. By cultivating our connection with Bao Qian, it's very possible that we would be able to have him act as a middle man, for some measure of profit, between us and pill makers in the area. Which means we would have better access to rare pills and elixirs, and hopefully more consistently, than what is produced by the Sect.

Outside of all that, I like the guy and he does seem to understand that we appreciate sincerity. I wonder what, exactly, he wishes his great works to be though.

There is nothing in Chinese philosophical thoughts and philosophical traditions that encourages any of that.

Also she's a street rat mingling with high society. It would be bizarre if her reactions didnt trip up the privileged 1%

So let's step back from the borderline Orientalist arguments
Sorry, you're right, that was a stupid and badly informed comment from me. Feels particularly bad because I've made an effort to study Confucianism. Only excuse I have is that I was drunk and it was 1:00AM for me. And it's not a good one.

Again, my apologies.

I think people are getting a little too caught up in the material when it comes to the Husbando question.

There is only one (1) essential quality that a Husbando must fulfill when we choose them.

Their Way must be compatible with ours.

You're ugly as Sin? Whatever, Xianxia plastic surgery, the foreigners Aztec Vampire Gods of Fitness, Heavenly Blessings and just cultivating a Way which makes you more attractive to Ling Qi can all deal with that.

You're Cultivation Talent is too low? Keep rolling that heavenly blessings Gacha until you die or shape up. Xiulan managed a talent boost with minimal searching, if it comes down to it the opportunity is there.

You're not rich enough? Make some money, we can front some cash and give them a good start.

Now, it is preferable to have a Husbando who is both Way compatible and brings other benefits. But the rest of that isn't actually essential, it can be fixed with time and if necessary heaven defying effort. As is right and proper in Xianxia.

An incompatible Way cannot be fixed, it is therefore essential to make sure our Husbando has a Way that is and will remain compatible with ours.

(I'm making a distinction between Husbando and random dude we marry if we feel the need to make political concessions. Mama Cai already showed us the way, there.)

I think going just for a compatible way is putting the bar a bit low.
And the ease of dealing with any other issues is exaggerated a lot.
Personally i have somewhere between none and zero interest in romance as far as this quest goes, but the idea of picking someone with the idea that "they have compatible way, we can fix anything else" is not a very realistic, or healthy, attitude for romance.
Compatible (or, atleast not incompatible) way is a must for any long term relationship, but that can't be the only criteria, we need to pick someone who we can accept as they are (with some reasonable understanding on their likely future trajectory), not someone we can turn into someone we will accept eventually.

And id Ling Qi never finds one, that's ok too.

So... various reactions.

Points of synergy:

These are all very good points for when LQ is actually considering marriage in the near future. When that time actually comes, I think we should remember those points because it will all be very relevant. But right now I don't know if there's any point in discussing marriage, when LQ has her own psychological issues to deal with. She can try out non-serious dating at a slow, easy pace. Life-changing choices like marriage is a long way down the road.
Setting aside the marriage prospect for a moment, I think it is incredibly important to cultivate this connection.

The simple matter is that we do not have our own independent source of income right now. We are getting a stipend from Cai and the Sect, and we have stumbled upon some excellent luck in acquiring an artifact which sold well, but we are bleeding money far in excess to what we are gaining. Figuring out a way to start getting additional money flowing back towards us will help us consistently cultivate with the maximum amount of Spirit Stones for a more consistent period of time.

Furthermore, we need access to rare pills and elixirs to help us keep on the bleeding edge of cultivation. While we can get some rare pills and elixirs from the Sect itself, those have been inconsistent in quality and usefulness. By cultivating our connection with Bao Qian, it's very possible that we would be able to have him act as a middle man, for some measure of profit, between us and pill makers in the area. Which means we would have better access to rare pills and elixirs, and hopefully more consistently, than what is produced by the Sect.

Outside of all that, I like the guy and he does seem to understand that we appreciate sincerity. I wonder what, exactly, he wishes his great works to be though.
Yes, he'd excellent be an excellent business partner! And that way we can slowly develop a friendship. :D

I think going just for a compatible way is putting the bar a bit low.
And the ease of dealing with any other issues is exaggerated a lot.
Personally i have somewhere between none and zero interest in romance as far as this quest goes, but the idea of picking someone with the idea that "they have compatible way, we can fix anything else" is not a very realistic, or healthy, attitude for romance.
Compatible (or, atleast not incompatible) way is a must for any long term relationship, but that can't be the only criteria, we need to pick someone who we can accept as they are (with some reasonable understanding on their likely future trajectory), not someone we can turn into someone we will accept eventually.

And id Ling Qi never finds one, that's ok too.
Of course just going for a compatible way is setting the bar low. That's why it's called the essential criteria, you cannot set the bar lower without setting the bar too low. That's the point.

Risking death multiple times for the talent gacha, going to a foreign civilization to get blessings or techniques from their gods or cultivators, starting a successful business or traiding empire... none of these things are easy. That's why I said it could be done with "heaven defying effort".

But, all those things can be done.

You cannot work around an incompatible way.

Take the appearance example.

We find a guy whose great, he's got some kind of domain focused on tying together the people in his home with love, care and affection. He's rich, strong, etc. Great, pretty compatible, we get along great.

Problem is, he's been cursed by the heavens to be utterly unattractive. But hey, that's the kind of thing cultivation and cultivators just have to deal with sometime. So we go find the spirit after a perilous journey, get sent on to do twelve labors and at last get the curse replaced with a blessing that gives him a body that is attractive.
His Way doesn't care, he doesn't define himself by what he looks like but by the ties of his home. Great, problem solved.

Different dude, also ugly, also rich etc. But he's ugly because he cultivates a way whereby he defines himself as an unlovable abomination. His Way is incompatible, he literally cannot be loved and if we did love him it would be direct conflict with who he was striving to be.
This cannot be dealt with, if we changed his way we would be changing him. There'd be a completely different person there by the time we're finished.

This is why Way compatibility is essential, but the others are not. You can work with the rest, you cannot compromise on the Way.

Last edited:
Of course just going for a compatible way is setting the bar low. That's why it's called the essential criteria, you cannot set the bar lower without setting the bar too low. That's the point.

Risking death multiple times for the talent gacha, going to a foreign civilization to get blessings or techniques from their gods or cultivators, starting a successful business or traiding empire... none of these things are easy. That's why I said it could be done with "heaven defying effort".

We find a guy whose great, he's got some kind of domain focused on tying together the people in his home with love, care and affection. He's rich, strong, etc. Great, pretty compatible, we get along great.

Problem is, he's been cursed by the heavens to be utterly unattractive. But hey, that's the kind of thing cultivation and cultivators just have to deal with sometime. So we go find the spirit after a perilous journey, get sent on to do twelve labors and at last get the curse replaced with a blessing that gives him a body that is attractive.
His Way doesn't care, he doesn't define himself by what he looks like but by the ties of his home. Great, problem solved.

Different dude, also ugly, also rich etc. But he's ugly because he cultivates a way whereby he defines himself as an unlovable abomination. His Way is incompatible, he literally cannot be loved and if we did love him it would be direct conflict with who he was striving to be.
This cannot be dealt with, if we changed his way we would be changing him. There'd be a completely different person there by the time we're finished.

This is why Way compatibility is essential, but the others are not. You can work with the rest, you cannot compromise on the Way.
In a sense you're correct. However its also important that we are able to accept that person as they are and vice versa. While people can change for the sake of a relationship to an extent, if it goes to the point that we have to fix multiple things about that person then...well its probably not worth it. Not ideal at least. I'm not saying your wrong, just adding some other criteria...i think who ever LQ ends up with will have to have abs for instance lol. Or at least not ugly. It'd be pretty awkward if we say to our fiancee 'hey before we get married, mind if we try to make you more attractive? its kinda important for me.' :rofl:

Last edited:

My point is that starting criteria should be "They are great and we like them as they are".
We should help them improve, sure, as they should help us improve, because that is part of being in a relationship.
But the idea that "well, we can improve them" should not be part of the selection process.

Genesis: MorningTide
@yrsillar and everyone--this is the next installment of my omake. Part 1 is here, part 2 is here, part 3 is here, part 4 is here and part 5 is here. While I feel like previous chapters may have been better, I've been writing these to have fun and not sweat the small stuff, lol...also omake points. That was also motivation :p
Genesis: Morningtide
Three months later.

Baron Heng was sweating and breathing heavily but his fighting stance was correct, his shield ready to deflect incoming attacks. Across the training field was Chen Xifeng, a younger sister of Lady Chen Mei. She was as poised as ever, having hardly broke a sweat during their practice. Full red lips quirking into a slightly smug smile, Chen Xifeng simply stood there, waiting for Heng Xun's next attack. The spectators, consisting of youngest sister Yawen, youngest brother Zhihao, cousin Keung and adoptive sister Lai Meixiu, had been watching the battle with both anxiety and awe. The children could not help but feel somewhat anxious for Heng Xun, who was barely keeping up with Xifeng. It was unsurprising, as Heng Xun was only in the fourth stage of the Green Realm whereas Chen Xifeng was on the cusp of Cyan.

Lai Meixiu could not help but admire Heng Xun's resolve. It was so obvious that he could not achieve remote success during this training session, yet he was trying his best regardless. Meixiu was told that years from now, she would awaken and eventually achieve the Yellow realm. It was only then that young family members were expected to start sparring with their elders. However, Lai Meixiu could not imagine that she would ever find the courage to ask Xifeng for a session, like Baron Heng did. Chen Xifeng was an infamously brutal teacher. Though Meixiu had heard such teaching methods were effective, part of her still viewed it as almost masochistic for anyone to request a lesson. She glanced at Big Sister Yawen, Zhihao and Keung who were sitting with her. Their faces seemed to mirror her own thoughts.

The young Baron started toward Xifeng in a rush of sunlit wind, his sword and shield glowing. His figure blurred forward but Xifeng just stood there with a vulpine grin, manicured hands on her slender hips. As his sword neared Chen Xifeng's head, the air between them shimmered with heat and giant fiery flower petals erupted into being. Each orange petal, made of pure flame, was four meters wide and longer than Xifeng was tall. Their mere appearance sent a shockwave outward, sending Heng Xun flying across the practice field. The giant petals arranged themselves around Xifeng as a flower, enveloping her. As Heng Xun slowly stood, his body glowing with a revitalizing light, across the room smaller petals were being shed from larger ones. The smaller flaming petals swirled through the air as if riding a gust of wind. As the petals traveled, the air seemed to ignite a hotter flame within them. Turning into blue flaming missiles, they flew towards Baron Heng, who raised his glimmering shield just in time. Each one seemed to shake the ground as they impacted his shield, which glowed white with the heat. Lai Meixiu thought it was a wonder the shield had not begun to melt.

There was a pause in the battle. "Nice defense, Xun." Chen Xifeng called across from the field. Her voice was casual and unruffled, a stark contrast to Baron Heng's disheveled state.

"You absorbed my attack nicely although your technique is still rough around the edges."

Heng Xun stood shakily. "You honor me with your praise, my lady. I am blessed to have such an instructor on this day." His voice was hoarse with fatigue. The silence that followed stretched on, as Heng Xun tried to gain his equilibrium. It prompted Meixiu's memory, of Qiu Min's words when he was instructing her just a few days ago. You won't get pauses to catch your breath in a real battle. Be thankful for the breaks I'm giving you now and use them to absorb the lessons. Think about what you just experienced, then use those thoughts to formulate your next move.

She watched with bated breath as Heng Xun walked forward. His face was red and dripping with sweat. His clothing was singed and there were several burns on his arms but he approached the center of the field with a steady gait. Though he wore a pained expression, Baron Heng also looked quite determined. Lai Meixiu once again silently thanked the Sun Spirits that she would become a formation specialist. Hopefully she would be spared this level of combat--because there was no way she could ever manage such determination and discipline in the face of such pain and imminent failure. She and the other young pupils watch as Heng Xun slung his shield on his back and gripped his sword with both hands. He pointed the blade forward and took a breath. The tip of the blade began to glow. Soon the light coalesced into a tiny ball and after a few moments the, the ball started to grow. The larger it grew, the brighter its light became. Soon a small white sun was at the end of of Baron Heng's blade. With a sudden swing of his sword, he sent the ball flying towards Xifeng. As the miniature sun grew closer, the flower protecting Xifeng turned a deep crimson.

The impact of Heng Xun's attack upon Xifeng was like a small star slamming into the earth. Light and sound exploded outward and Lai Meixiu was temporarily blinded. Even from their distant position, the children stumbled from the resulting shockwave. When Meixiu blinked the spots from her eyes, Xifeng was standing at the center of a small crater. The enormous petals that had protected her were now fading, their strength depleted. With an impish grin on her pale heart-shaped face, Chen Xifeng looked up at Baron Heng who stood at the crater's edge. "Well, your mastery of the Sublime Sunfall Art has certainly improved. Your buildup of Solar qi is still too slow though. You won't have time for such preparation when defending our borders, Xun."

Shoulders slumped in exhaustion, he looked back at her with a haggard expression. "I understand, Lady Chen. I thank you for your praise and I vow to put in more effort."

Xifeng frowned. "What did I tell you about calling me Lady Chen, Xun? Each time you say that, I look around for my older sister." Her voice grew disdainful when mentioning Chen Mei. At a leisurely pace, Chen Xifeng started climbing out of the gaping hole. "Really now, how long have we known each other? You're always so stiff," she chuckled.

In a gentlemanly manner, Heng Xun offered a hand as she reached him. She acquiesced and took his hand, allowing him to help her over the lip of the crater. She shook the dust from her flattering vermillion dress. "That was pretty good for round one. Take a qi pill and sit down to rest before round two."

Baron Heng nodded. "Yes, Lady Ch--"

"What?!" Zhihao yelped. There was a beat of silence as everyone turned to look at the eight year old boy. He seemed to shrink from the stares at first but rallied after glancing at Heng Xun's exhausted state.

"Big Sis Xifeng, you can't put Xun through that again. Look at him, he's about to drop dead!"

Xifeng simply smiled at her little brother, seeming amused at his outburst.

"If he were one of the formation specialists of the family, I would declare this training session complete. But Zhihao, you have to remember that Xun will likely be on the frontlines of most confrontations at our border. He must be prepared to push through pain and exhaustion. What if his reinforcements do not arrive as planned? What if he encounters enemies more powerful than his expectations? He must hold the line for the sake of his comrades and for the sake of the Chen clan, whenever necessary. This manner of training builds his resilience, stamina and endurance--attributes that are essential for defending our land."

Heng Xun was not even listening to the conversation. He was sitting on the ground and resting, having already taken a qi pill. Concentrated as he was on replenishing his qi, Lai Meixiu wondered if Baron Heng had even heard what they were saying about him.

Zhihao seemed to be absorbing Xifeng's words. He frowned at the ground. Yawen placed a hand on his shoulder. "I wouldn't worry about Heng Xun, Zhihao," she said gently. "Despite how it looks, he won't actually be seriously harmed here. Big Sister Xifeng is just, um…" she trailed off, not quite knowing what to say.

"Challenging him." Someone called from the entrance. The group looked around and saw Chen Mei striding towards them. The eldest sister of their family seemed to glide towards the group, almost as if she were walking on air. She wore a maroon dress with orange-gold embroidery and trimmings, which flattered her curvaceous figure. Though she looked to be in her early thirties, Lai Meixiu had been shocked to hear that Chen Mei was 93 years old. "Why hello Big Sister." Chen Xifeng's greeting had an edge to it, hinting at ill-concealed aggression.

"Hello Xifeng." Chen Mei replied, giving her younger sibling a cold smile. She closed the distance between herself and the group, approaching Lai Meixiu. As she looked down at the girl, her smile grew more sincere and warm. "It is time for our afternoon lesson, child. Come along."

"Just a minute, Mei."

Looking irritated, Chen Mei's hazel eyes flicked toward Xifeng who was now approaching them. "I believe the girl could benefit from watching Xun and I finish the match." She strode towards them and came to a halt mere feet away from Chen Mei. The group of children anxiously watched the two sisters stare each other down. In the tense silence that followed, Lai Meixiu marveled at both the similarities and differences between the two sisters. Though Xifeng's tall willowy frame contrasted with Mei's generous curves, they had the same complexion. Both had porcelain skin that was in stark contrast with their dark hair. Chen Mei had styled her locks in loose curls and waves that perfectly framed her face. Xifeng had pulled her long black hair back in a simple tail that was almost waist length. Where Mei was the picture of cold composure, Xifeng seemed to radiate disdain. The latter's cheeks were flushed and her dark eyes sparked with inner fire. They looked to be no more than a year apart, rather than sixty four years.

"She has already watched the first round. Though I perfectly understand the need to push Heng Xun to his limits, I'm afraid I do not see how her--or any of the children--benefit from observing the second one. It is not so much as a fight as it is beating the young man into the ground." Though Mei's tone had been rather bland, Xifeng bristled at her words.

"I wouldn't count Xun out just yet, sister. He has had a decent amount of time to recuperate. Though Lai Meixiu's future may be set on qi painting, the others futures are more undecided--well, especially little Zhihao and our dear cousin Keung." At the mention of their names, Zhihao and Keung seemed to shrink inward. Keung in particular seemed intimidated. Meixiu supposed it was no surprise, considering his shy, quiet nature. Yawen frowned and put her hands on the boys' shoulders. Brow furrowed, the fourteen year old looked at the two women with concern. "Elder sisters, there is no need for such contention. Let us handle this matter peacefully."

Both sisters's faces seemed to soften at Yawen's words. Xifeng gave her a sidelong look, a small smile forming. "You always have been a rather peaceful soul, Yawen."

"Indeed," Chen Mei said fondly. "You may be the kindest among us." Chen Yawen blushed at the sudden praise and started to protest but her older sisters did not seem to be listening. "I suppose I may have arrived a little early," Mei allowed, with only a touch of condescension in her voice. "You may recommence the training session, little sister."

Xifeng gritted her teeth. "Why thank you, eldest sister, for being so understanding," she deadpanned. She whirled around, short crimson skirts fluttering, and stalked back to the training field. Once she was out of earshot, Chen Mei let out a small laugh. "I do not believe I was that vexatious when I was 26 years old."

Yawen shook her head. "You know," she said in a disapproving tone, "that she's just going to take out any excess anger or frustration on Heng Xun?"

The amused expression on Mei's face was replaced with one of guilt. Out on the field, Chen Xifeng and Heng Xun were taking their positions. "Well, not on purpose of course," Yawen continued. "Also, you know how she dislikes you calling her little sister. Yet you said it anyways…" she trailed off, as Xifeng began her attack. Countless tiny, bright balls of light were forming in the air. Each gradually took the shape of a flower made out of flame. Meixiu marveled at the beauty of the fire flowers suspended in air. There were dozens of dozens, in varying colors of gold, ochre, magenta and scarlet. Xifeng raised one arm and, as she brought it down in sweeping motion, a gust of wind arrived on the field. The flowers were gathered in the wind and became one swirling path of color heading for Heng Xun. He swept his sword in a downward arc around him after images of the sword were left in its wake. As the fire constructs fell upon him, each exploded with heat and light. However, the baron's sword and its afterimages were taking much of the damage for him. He swung the sword upwards, creating more afterimages but he was not quite fast enough to defend against all of the attacks. Lai Meixiu winced as the bombardment left burns on his shoulders, back and legs. Undaunted, Heng Xun continued the defense.

As Xifeng's attack began to die down, Heng Xun suddenly went on the offensive. In the blink of an eye, he was upon her with his sword mere inches away from her torso. At the last second a pair of twin blades appeared in her hands, blocking his attack. Here, Baron Heng was showcasing his swordsmanship. It was clearly his area of focus, whereas Xifeng's dual wielding ability was merely meant to compliment her other skills. The only reason he had not landed a hit was that Chen Xifeng was generally faster. There were several close calls but she always evaded his disciplined strikes in time.

Dust still floated in the air from the previous round, when Heng Xun had created a small crater in the earth. Embers floated about the battle field, mostly concentrated around the two combatants. With a start, Lai Meixiu realized that there had not been embers on the battlefield before. Or maybe there simply hadn't been this many of them? She could not remember…

Suddenly something small exploded against Heng Xun's stomach, knocking him back and away from Chen Xifeng. He tried to stand but another small explosion on his side knocked him down again. With a start, Meixiu realized it was the embers floating about the combatants. If she looked closely, she could see how they would head towards him and explode on contact. Unfortunately for Baron Heng, the embers were too small and numerous to track while also fighting Xifeng. Lai Meixiu idly wondered whether they were actually embers or perhaps some construct made to resemble embers. She had seen other family members use such deceptive abilities in previous spars.

As he tried to stand once again, Heng Xun started to emit a yellow-gold light. The embers started to disappear in that light, although Meixiu could not be sure what had happened to them. By this time, Heng Xun's chest was heaving and he truly seemed on the verge of collapsing. The light coming from within him began to dim. Chen Xifeng transferred her two swords to one hand, freeing up the other. She flexed her fingers and waved the remaining embers towards Heng Xun. They followed her motion and rushed him. Although most of the embers dissipated in the light, some still struck the baron. This time they ignited on contact, setting his clothing on fire. He tried to put the flames out, to little effect.

Xifeng raised a hand, closed her fist and the flames were snuffed out instantly. "Well done, Heng Xun. You are certainly improving and well on your way to the fifth stage of Green Soul. Focus a bit more on your defensive skills."

"Yes, my lady," he croaked.

"Yawen," Xifeng called. "Please take our dear baron to Grandmother Chen An. I'm sure her ministrations will be more than enough to get him back on his feet."

Yawen was already hurrying to the young man's side. "Yes, elder sister."

Meixiu glanced at the other spectators still with her. Unsurprisingly, Zhihao was looking at Chen Xifeng with awe. He was always amazed by flashy spectacles of power. His eyes shone with admiration, his cheeks were flushed and his mouth hung slightly open. Keung, on the other hand, looked quite intimidated by the young woman--almost cowed. She couldn't help but giggle at both of their expressions. That seemed to pull them out of their thoughts though. "What's so funny?" Zhihao demanded.

"Nothing," she replied, trying to keep a straight face. However, the two boys knew her well enough to know when they were being laughed at. While Keung looked away in embarrassment, Zhihao tried a different tack. "Well I don't know what you're laughing at." He puffed up his chest and crossed his arms, trying to give her his most imperious look.

Meixiu kept a hand over her mouth but her shoulders shook with silent laughter, giving her away. The laughter faded when she felt the insistent pressure of Chen Mei's hand on her shoulder. "Come on, Lai Meixiu. It's time to go."

Meixiu simply sighed in response and looked at the afternoon sun. Then, she brightened, realizing that court training was not going to be very long today since the evening meal would be in only a few hours. She looked at her two friends and gave them an impish grin.

"See you at dinner!"

Last edited:
There's no way unawakened children are allowed to watch a Green 3+ fight, let alone understand what's going on. Other than that, I really liked it.

There's no way unawakened children are allowed to watch a Green 3+ fight, let alone understand what's going on. Other than that, I really liked it.
Every family does things differently. As for her understanding...for one thing, she's been taught what cultivation means and looks like over the past three months. Maybe I didn't imply it clearly enough but this isn't the first fight she's watched. They've been teaching her to understand what this stuff is--also I tried to make it clear that there is some stuff she doesn't understand or doesn't catch. Its only realistic that she wouldn't understand everything that was happening.
Edit: Also I've already written the chapter...so there isn't that much I'm gonna change regardless. 🤷‍♀️ Glad you like it though!

Last edited:
In fairness, it's far less of a gap than a bunch of greens and yellows watching a white and a high prism fight

They aren't entirely beyond human comprehension at this stage
Also if you were thinking its not realistic 'cause children at that age would be protected from that level of violence or something (I'm not sure if that's what you were saying) then...this is a death world. And its pretty harsh on children of almost all ages when we compare it to RL. If I recall correctly, Meizhen was awakened the fast and very painful way by her grandfather when she was only 9, right? I'm sure CRX's childhood was uniquely scary but from Gu Xiulian and Han Jian's POVs, it sounds like there's a lot of pressure on kids to succeed and become talented cultivators. I mean, there's a reason LQ and all her friends seem far more mature than your average 14 year old.

Yeah I can see some allowing kids to watch, but even if they could describe the arts I don't think they could perceive all the moves. Like when the sister blocks at the last second, pretty sure all a mortal would see is the baron suddenly teleporting to the sister who is simply blocking the attack, they couldn't perceive anything between.

Now the arts themselves, I imagine they would either be just flashes of light or more obvious effects as described.

I think back to the LQ vs Liling fight; the melee portion was described akin to a chainsaw sound iirc, so dozens attacks a second, a mortal would only see blues where their limbs are. Similarly when actually moving as opposed to standing still the combatants would be blurs. That was just green 1 and 2.

Really at this point I'm pretty much picturing Fate servants for early green.

The arts on the other hand, our mists, songs, TRF glows, phantasmagoria etc, those are prob what a mortal would focus on.

Back