The Path Unending (A Cultivation Quest)

[X] You will accept access to Natural Wonders normally reserved for members of the First Circle.

[X] You will accept techniques from Elder Siani's personal collection.

Why is this a debate? Smoke and steel are not rare aspects. Although "I'll give you access to Wonders reserved for the first circle" sounds like a cool and powerful boon, in the end they're just going to be smoke and steel Wonders. If they have more esoteric stuff mixed in (like Victory, Time, Fate, etc.), that's neat, but that doesn't actually help us. So long as it's Smoke and/or Steel and has more than 50 anam on tap, there's no difference between a wonder available to the eighth circle and one available to the first.

Wait, wait, wait, hold up a sec.

Does this mean Sun whatshisface somehow has a Fate and a Victory Anam technique?

Who the fuck is carrying that cheat level character?!?

I mean, we didn't even know that Soldier apparently requires techniques of every Element you use to be considered 'Complete' until literally just now, and here's a guy who has what's apparently an ordinary background, has somehow lucksacked his way into just being handed a Twelfth Order Anam technique soon enough that he's apparently already early Farmer?
All I'll say is that there is a very real benefit to having very rich friends in high places with long histories of Cultivation who want nothing more than to punch you in the face.

Also, while Time likes Kong Zhi, Fate apparently likes Sun Yujin. And Fate in xianxia is very good at getting those that it loves exactly what they need. Like rich, powerful, and helpful friends.

Also, while Time likes Kong Zhi, Fate apparently likes Sun Yujin. And Fate in xianxia is very good at getting those that it loves exactly what they need. Like rich, powerful, and helpful friends.
It'd be great if Time had a similarly bullshit influence on us, like additional actions per week or something. We could really use them right now. :p

Btw, does anyone know how potent Jai Fa's steel natural treasure was again? I don't think she'd let us borrow it (if it's not already bound to her), but if it's not enough to satisfy her Steel anam needs for the indefinite future, she's going to want to find a Steel natural wonder too. We might be able to convince her to go searching for one with us.

Also, a bit metagamey, but we know this exists somewhere in the sect:
The second is an ancient skeleton the size of a small house that has stood for so long that it has fused into the wall. Bone and Earth anam radiate off of the Warrior Standing Vigil, but I care only for the Steel. A small concentration of it joins the Sun and Force in my body, just waiting to be used.

We should consider leveraging our social network to aid in our search. Specifically, I suspect Teng Lim might be able to give us a lead or two on Wonder locations considering he soaks up information like a sponge and he owes us a favor.

Last edited:
So... I just realized something

Our Constitution is 2. When we took the soldier's step we got more actions per week as we didn't need as much rest/food/etc right?

Well... that sounds like Constitution, and our weekly actions before the step were 7, 9 after... plus 2, Same as our Constitution Stat....

Maybe we'll get more weekly actions by improving our Constitution?

Btw, does anyone know how potent Jai Fa's steel natural treasure was again? I don't think she'd let us borrow it (if it's not already bound to her), but if it's not enough to satisfy her Steel anam needs for the indefinite future, she's going to want to find a Steel natural wonder too. We might be able to convince her to go searching for one with us.

Fa's Treasure is explicitly off-limits to us - she told us not to even try using it. Also, she doesn't need a Steel Wonder because her Treasure is apparently very good.

Fa's Treasure is explicitly off-limits to us - she told us not to even try using it. Also, she doesn't need a Steel Wonder because her Treasure is apparently very good.
Hmm, do we know anyone else who is confirmed to use Steel or Smoke? I don't think anyone in the expedition did (or at least, they didn't have techs with those aspects). The only one who springs to mind is Huo Shi, since he was the original owner of the treasure we cycle smoke from. We're on vaguely OK terms with him, aren't we? (if only because he doesn't realize we're trying to steal his girl...) Maybe he has some good info.

Hmm, do we know anyone else who is confirmed to use Steel or Smoke? I don't think anyone in the expedition did (or at least, they didn't have techs with those aspects). The only one who springs to mind is Huo Shi, since he was the original owner of the treasure we cycle smoke from. We're on vaguely OK terms with him, aren't we? (if only because he doesn't realize we're trying to steal his girl...) Maybe he has some good info.

We don't know anyone who is like that, and given Huo Shi is a noble he may well have just been renting Wonders with his allowance.

Given Huo Shi is a noble he may well have just been renting Wonders with his allowance
Yet even if he is renting one that does imply there is one to rent, which is good to know since it wasn't available on the list we looked at before. I think it would be a good thing ask him about--perhaps through Mo Hanying when next we see her. She might even send us off to go cycle with him (this is wishful thinking, I know, but I could see her do it just to put us in an amusingly awkward social situation).

Actually, couldn't we write to the family and ask for smoke and steel techs? The archives don't really matter for this.
This seems like a terrible thing to bet on. It would take weeks to hear back from them, and there is no guarantee our family has the appropriate techs. Siani would be most displeased if we waited for a letter from home to begin progressing too.

[x] You will accept techniques from Elder Siani's personal collection.

Adhoc vote count started by Rah13 on Jan 18, 2021 at 2:06 PM, finished with 135 posts and 92 votes.

An excuse to go do more exploring, yay! Also, looking at our previous techs, they've needed something like 50-100 anam to be mastered, which means that with 25/week of Time and 7/week of Smoke we could finish those techniques in a couple months at most. That's pretty slow but not unmanageable, especially since we can boost it quite a lot with pills and/or a lucky hit on exploration, and slow progress is better than several weeks of no progress because we had to grind points to purchase a tech that could use Smoke/Steel in the first place.

Definitely this. We already have a Time Wonder and a Smoke Natural Treasue and Steel and Smoke Wonders should be simple enough to buy access to as they're not very uncommon elements or get pills for. High quality techniques though are far more of a pain to find I imagine.

Also, what's the plan for this?;
Inspired By Ichor
Unknown (Unknown X)
Unknown Technique ?? (Any 15)
Cost: ??
Current Phase: 0/??
Description: You extracted several bottles of glowing green Ichor from the body of the Vestige you slew in the Ghost City. You feel there is power in this blood- and you want to know the secrets it holds.

Get some Steel Pills and cycle Time, Smoke, and Steel at the same time in the Second?

Definitely this. We already have a Time Wonder and a Smoke Natural Treasue and Steel and Smoke Wonders should be simple enough to buy access to as they're not very uncommon elements or get pills for. High quality techniques though are far more of a pain to find I imagine.

Also, what's the plan for this?;
Inspired By Ichor
Unknown (Unknown X)
Unknown Technique ?? (Any 15)
Cost: ??
Current Phase: 0/??
Description: You extracted several bottles of glowing green Ichor from the body of the Vestige you slew in the Ghost City. You feel there is power in this blood- and you want to know the secrets it holds.

Get some Steel Pills and cycle Time, Smoke, and Steel at the same time in the Second?

Nah, that's going to be the spark behind our Time Technique, we just don't know what it'll spit out yet.

Back