The Path Unending (A Cultivation Quest)

Hey @Vesvius I hope you don't mind me tagging you.
I'm not very active in discussions but I wanted you to know, that I very much enjoy your story and your updates are very much a highlight of my reading-week. I hope you can work through any frustrations in due time and await the next update with eager patience :)

256. The Village of One
A/N: A big thanks to the 34 people who have pledged to me on Patreon! If you'd like to join them, you can do so here. Or, if you'd like to support me without the monthly commitment, you can buy me a cup of Ko-Fi here.
>Mu Yizhen, an aged expert who joins Yefeng out of a sense of boredom and amusement. He is a comedic role that floats around the background making wry remarks about the situation at hand.
------------------------
As Daiyu and I rapidly page through the unabridged script for 'A Village of One' with all characters known by the Lotus Players, one thing becomes abundantly clear: there is a reason that the Players pruned so many characters from their rendition. If they had attempted to perform the 'complete' version of the play, they would need two days and an army of players large enough to storm the Forlorn Tower.

Dozens of characters dance along the page beneath Daiyu's fingers. There are noble warriors seeking to make a difference in the world, craven villains hiding behind the protagonist's robes, tea shop owners lost in the wilderness, pirates mourning the loss of their ships, and many, many others. It would be easy to get lost in the sheer number of characters cut from the Lotus Player's performance and left by the wayside, but Daiyu keeps us focused as we search for the perfect part for me.

But sadly, none of the parts left unclaimed seem to speak to me. Those that are intriguing are far too involved for me to convincingly portray or entirely too prominent to be added this close to the curtain rising. Those that remain are dull, poorly conceived, just plain tawdry, or…

I pause, resting my fingers on the back of Daiyu's hand before she can flip to the next page. "Who…" I begin, scanning the part that's just been introduced. "...is this?"

"Who, Mu Yizhen?" Daiyu asks. At my nod, she glances down at the page with new eyes. "He is a wizened old martial expert, even an Artist in some renditions, who joins Yefeng in the middle of the second act. He barely does anything after his introduction save for the occasional barb thrown at the rest of the cast. Mu Yizhen sometimes serves as a chorus and can emphasize what the audience is supposed to be focusing on."

She lets out a noise of consideration and glances at me. "I will admit, his part was not one I expected you to be interested in."

"It may seem a strange choice," I admit. "But I think I would like to learn more about the role- that is, if you think I'm capable of it. If not, I-"

My words freeze in my mouth as Daiyu lets out an almost content sigh and reaches up, twining her arms around my neck and resting her chin on my chest. Our eyes meet, and her face lights up in a bright smile. "Of course you are capable of it, Zhi. In all honesty, were you given time to prepare, you could likely play one of the more prominent roles even. If you wish to play Mu Yizhen, you will play Mu Yizhen."

She pauses and taps her finger to her lips. "Though I still find myself curious as to why out of all the parts, this is the one to catch your eye."

I force my lungs into action once more and let out a small chuckle. "It is no great mystery," I answer as I look down at the page. "The part simply… it just reminds me of someone."

…ancestors above, if Elder Siani is going to watch my every move, then he is about to be amused.

Perform (Storytelling) Check: 3d10s7(1.1) (Includes Bonus Dice). Dice Rolled: 10, 7, 5, 6. 2.2, rounded down to 2 Successes!
The Rugged Foothills of the Cloudforged Plateau. Afternoon.

YEFENG wanders through the untamed wilderness of the Cloudforged Plateau. His once-fine robes are stained and torn, but a wide smile decorates his face as he makes his way further from civilization. Every few moments, the SUNDRENCHED appears near him, sharing YEFENG's delight at exploring the rugged hinterlands.

Sundrenched (skipping beside Yefeng): Is it not what I promised, Yefeng? Nature's glory is everywhere if you can only open your eyes to see it!

Yefeng: 'tis truly a wondrous land you call your home, o' spirit. Yet I find that it would be far more enjoyable were I left alone to discover its majesty for myself.

Sundrenched: You had best watch your tongue, Yefeng, lest it speak an invitation to the troubles of the world. Were I anything besides what I am, such an invitation would already have been accepted.

Yefeng (stops moving, confusion writ large on his face): My apologies, o' Sundrenched Soul. I intended no offense.

Sundrenched: Yet it is offense you have offered. These woods are my soul. This breeze is my heartbeat. I have shown you the paradise you so dearly long for and in return, you would rather I were cast out of it?

Yefeng (bows sharply): You are correct, o' spirit of the woods. I thought not through the implications of my words and chose them poorly.

Sundrenched (smiles proudly): And this is why I enjoy your company, Yefeng. You are arrogant, obnoxious, cannot cook, have no appreciation for the subtle things in life, move with the grace of a rampaging ox, and are as personable as a perturbed cat-

YEFENG coughs awkwardly into his hand.

Sundrenched (pauses, looking bashful: My apologies, but I appear to have lost my way. What was I saying?

Yefeng (through gritted teeth): …I believe you were about to say something kind about me.

Sundrenched: Ah, of course! You have my thanks, Yefeng. My point is this: you are all of those things and more besides, but you are at the very least capable of admitting when you make a mistake… eventually.

Mu Yizhen (from off stage): And what an excellent skill to have! Then again, considering your many, many, many errors, it is a skill you've had an abundance of practice with, I'm sure!

YEFENG and the SUNDRENCHED freeze in the middle of a clearing. The SUNDRENCHED smiles and steps back to lean against a tree as YEFENG looks around wildly.

Yefeng (shouting): Who goes there?! Make yourself known, stranger, lest I seek you out myself!

Mu Yizhen (from off stage): We would not want that! With your 'keen' eyes and 'cunning' instincts, you would have no trouble finding me, assuming you had instructions from me. And a map. And I were to pass away from old age and become a corpse and thus be incapable of moving. But the rest of your little coterie has not that kind of time, so I will make seeking me out easier still.

MU YIZHEN enters stage right, leaping through the trees and landing directly in front of YEFENG. YEFENG nearly falls over at the wizened elder's sudden appearance while the SUNDRENCHED offers a round of applause. MU YIZHEN bows to the SUNDRENCHED with a flourish before spinning to face YEFENG.

Mu Yizhen: Should you need further assistance, good sir, I find myself incapable of rendering it.

Yefeng (stands frozen for a moment before growing angry): How dare you, sir?! You know me not yet you appear so suddenly with naught but base insults and undeserved scorn!

Mu Yizhen: My insults may be base, yes, but is the scorn truly undeserved?

Yefeng: Is that-

Mu Yizhen: Perhaps you cannot see it as you cannot lay eyes upon yourself. But I bear the great fortune to not be you, sir, and so I may lay eyes untainted by bias upon your actions. You claim to not deserve my scorn. Yet… what do the others think?

Sundrenched (looking between Yefeng and Mu Yizhen): Perhaps mortals see things differently, but I find no fault in your actions.

Mu Yizhen (triumphantly): Yet it is not the spirits I ask about. What do your companions think? Would they agree that my scorn is unearned?

YEFENG is shocked. MU YIZHEN shakes his head while clicking his tongue.

Mu Yizhen: Yes, I witnessed the whole of that sorry scene. I would dare say I would have been hard pressed to miss it. Let that be another lesson you learn, child- always act as if someone is watching you because usually, someone is.

Yefeng: What?! I- I know not what you mean, sir! I've acted honorably and dutifully my entire life!

Mu Yizhen: Very well. Then which one caused you to act so shamefully?

Yefeng: What?!

Mu Yizhen: Which one was it? Honor or Duty? Which one compelled you to cast your boon companion from your side without whisper or warning? Was it honor that forced you to shun he who cared the most for you? Or was it duty that begged you to banish an innocent from the only home he ever knew?

Yefeng: Have you been watching me, elder? For how long? How have you evaded my sight? I-

Mu Yizhen: That hardly seems important now, does it? But your words say more than you intend and reveal much of your character. I've often found that when one knows they've acted poorly, they tend to lash out rather than accept their own failings. Of course, you would never do such a thing now, would you, Yefeng?

YEFENG is struck dumb by MU YIZHEN's words. The aged expert stares at YEFENG before waving his hand back and forth in front of YEFENG's face. When there is no reaction, MU YIZHEN turns to the SUNDRENCHED.

Mu Yizhen: O' noble spirit, how do you choose which mortals to appear to? Whatever your methods, if they led to one such as this man here, they have clearly led you astray. Perhaps I can be of some assistance. I know the secrets of how to divine the future from naught but the stars, the trees, and this talking spider I've bargained with that knows how to divine the future. I could introduce you for-

Yefeng (quietly): Duty.

Mu Yizhen (turning to face Yefeng): I beg pardon, sir. What did you say?

Yefeng (slightly louder): Duty. It was duty.

Mu Yizhen (cups a hand to his ear): Consider your audience when you speak, o' reprobate! My soul may be sterling, but my ears have been worn down by the years. You will have to speak up if you-

Yefeng (yelling): Duty! It was duty that forced me to banish Chunwei! Are you happy now?!

Sundrenched (after a beat of silence): Yefeng! You must speak with respect!

Mu Yizhen (scoffs): Now you disrupt nature with your uncouth tone! You need not yell, reprobate! Yelling is for savages and those under siege, and I do not see the fires of the east upon us yet! But very well, you claim it was duty that made you act poorly. How?

Yefeng: Chunwei was… he is my friend, my most loyal companion. But he is not the only soul depending on me any more. A dozen others dog my steps and it would taint my soul forever if I led them into ruin. Each and every one of them expressed their worries about Chunwei's actions. Every single one shivered in fear when he came close! I had to banish him from my side- for the good of all!

Mu Yizhen: All except Chunwei, that is.

Everyone stands in silence. MU YIZHEN does not look away from YEFENG, who stares down at the ground.

Mu Yizhen: You claim duty made you banish your faithful hound. But honor demands you find him. Honor demands you bring him back to your camp and introduce him to those that follow you- that you make them see him through your eyes. Are you going to shun honor in favor of duty, Yefeng? Or shall you make things right?

Yefeng: …it is far too late for that. Chunwei is long gone. With his speed, he's off of the plateau by now and making his way towards his home.

Mu Yizhen: Or, perhaps he is in these woods, hiding and recovering from the shame you heaped upon him.

Yefeng: What?! What do you-

Mu Yizhen: Yes, perhaps he is a league to the east and three to the south, past the copse of maple trees, in the roots of a lightning-struck oak, tending his wounds. If you come upon a yellow pond, you have gone too far.

MU YIZHEN pauses then swoons dramatically.

Mu Yizhen: If only someone could venture south by southeast and reclaim him, then perhaps one would reclaim their honor- and even more importantly, free an old man's favored lunch spot. If only-

YEFENG runs past MU YIZHEN without acknowledging his words, scrambling in the direction he has indicated. YEFENG exits stage left. Once he's gone, MU YIZHEN looks at the SUNDRENCHED.

Mu Yizhen: I still do not know why you simply couldn't have pointed him towards his companion on your own, o' Sundrenched. This seems like something you needed me not at all for.

Sundrenched: I lack your way with words, o' Mu Yizhen. I simply lack your delicate way with words.

Blackout. Curtain falls.
I don't think I do too badly for my first time on stage. No one would ever confuse me for a professional actor, but the audience does not seem to object to Mu Yizhen's introductory scene. It is by far the largest role my character has in the play and I'm able to get through it without much issue. After that, I am free to lurk in the background of several scenes. The script calls for Mu Yizhen to interrupt several times with caustic barbs and witty one-liners, most of them improvised, and I am actually able to elicit several laughs.

Not every line lands, of course. But when I falter, the other actors are quick to cover my failings. Di Mingyu, the actor portraying Yefeng, is quick-witted and always able to redirect the audience's attention back to where it belongs. The actor who plays Yefeng's estranged love interest proves quite popular; if my lines fall flat, she is quick to fill the void.

The actor who draws the most attention is undoubtedly Daiyu, however. The moment she steps into the lantern light illuminating the stage, she ceases to be my partner and becomes the Sundrenched, a spirit of wood and adventure eager to explore the uncharted Cloudforge Plateau. Her presence lights up the stage, and only in part because of the charmwork woven into her costume. Every one of her movements is precise, as if guided by strings only she can feel, and almost inhuman in their perfection. Her voice resonates with actors and crowd alike. It is not something anyone merely hears- it is something everyone feels.

Though she commands the stage, the wood beneath her feet practically bending to her will, she is never too far from where Mu Yizhen resides. With simple changes of posture and minute adjustments of expression, she single handedly elevates my passable lines and turns my good barbs into something that sends the audience into convulsions of laughter.
I cannot help but stop to watch her, no matter who is actually supposed to be the focus of the scene. Everything she does seems practically effortless- which only means she's spent countless hours, days, years of her life refining her craft.

There is just something magical about watching a master ply their trade, and it is no different here. Were it not for the small smiles Daiyu shoots me when the audience cannot see, I would regret standing on the stage alongside her instead of being in the front row to give her the uninterrupted focus she deserves.

But I've my own part to play- which Daiyu has to remind me of once during the third act with a subtle prod of her elbow when I can do nothing but marvel at her performance. Afterwards, I'm far too concerned with not embarrassing her with my own role to truly witness hers. Daiyu may make it look utterly effortless, but acting is absurdly hard work.

Still, by the time the curtain falls, I have at least not completely embarrassed myself. It honestly feels as if I've gotten just a bit better than I was at the start of the play.

Perform (Storytelling) has advanced to Perform (Acting)!

Perform (Acting) +1!

As the audience rises to their feet, their applause shaking the stage, the curtain rises once more. One by one, each of the major characters gets their moment in the sun, stepping forward and being announced by name and role as they are greeted by rousing cheers. I manage to demure- I am hardly an actor, after all. It would be churlish to steal some of their renown- but everyone else with more than two lines is greeted with acclaim that ranges from polite to thunderous.

As the main character, Di Mingyu receives the most. It is no surprise; he is a truly talented actor. The moment where Yefeng realizes that he has not only trampled on the wild beauty he sought but actually set up a bastion of his hated civilization is one that will stay with me for quite some time.

But Daiyu's ovation is only half a hair smaller than his.

As she steps back, Daiyu glances at me. I cannot say what look I have on my face, but whatever it is, it makes her flush. She sidles towards me, one hand reaching up to tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "What?" she asks after a moment.

I can only offer her a shrug. "It… my apologies. You were just… you were incredible. Thank you for letting me be part of your performance, Daiyu."

Apparently, I was mistaken. Daiyu's cheeks were only tinged with red before. Now she is flushed, her cheeks practically the same ruddy hue of my Autumn Hunter's form. She opens her mouth to answer only for her words to fail her. Instead, a small, strangled sound claws its way from her throat and she steps forward, pressing her face into my chest as she grips me in a tight embrace.

For a heartstopping moment I worry that I've said something wrong. People don't normally react like that to compliments, do they?! I open my mouth to apologize, but… wait. How would I react if I had never been able to craft a charm in front of Daiyu, suddenly got the opportunity to do so, and she praised my efforts like I had hers? I would be… I would…

Any words I can muster suddenly feel inadequate. Instead, I reach out, returning her embrace.

Daiyu's eyes are bright when she eventually looks up at me. "Thank you," she manages. "That means… it is… thank you."

All I can do is offer her a smile and nod. From the way her grip tightens, that seems to be enough.

We stand motionless behind the Lotus Players as they claim their just acclaim, barely paying the audience any attention. I do not even realize the curtain has fallen once more until the actors around us fall out of their rigid lines, lose their reserve, and start murmuring praise and congratulations to each other. A dozen of the auxiliary Players surge from backstage and begin dismantling the final set from the 'Village of One'. Several more follow them, each carrying another prop or set piece for the next production.

One of those set pieces is carried by Kieu Haoyun. With a groan, the aged playwright places the obsidian table in his hands down and marches directly towards us. "Marvelous!" he proclaims, a broad smile on his face. "Truly incredible. If I did not know better, Daiyu, I would say you've been practicing with us morning, noon, and night! I hesitate to say this, but your gifts are wasted, truly wasted as an Artist."

Daiyu detaches from me and turns to face the head of the troupe, though her shoulder remains pressed against mine. "That's kind of you to say, Uncle," she says through a wide smile. "I'm just glad I did not shame your stage. It has been some time since I ran a scene, let alone performed live, and I was worried Master's lessons had deserted me."

Kieu Haoyun lets us know what he thinks about that possibility with a disdainful snort. "Choe Tia's teachings are not so ephemeral that they would fade from mere disuse," he scoffs. "But even if you had forgotten every word he ever said, your own talent still shines brightly. If I knew you only as the Sundrenched, I would still trip over myself in my haste to bring you fully into the troupe."

The playwright leans against his set as he smiles paternally down at Daiyu. After a long moment, he seems to realize that I am also here and nearly jumps in surprise. "And Kong Zhi!" he adds far too exuberantly. "I will admit, I expected far worse! But you're a talent in your own right!"

I barely hold in my snort of laughter at the hastily added praise. "You are far too kind, Sir Kieu," I answer. "You need not flatter me. I know that I will never be a grandmaster of the stage, but it was a most pleasant experience. The Lotus Players are most kind and-"

A loud chuckle from Kieu Haoyun interrupts me. The playwright chortles and shakes his head, one hand on his belly as he says, "Worry not about false praise, Kong Zhi. While I am not above base flattery as a concept, it has no place on the stage. If you were terrible, I would gladly say so and banish you from the stage. But you were not terrible. In fact, you were acceptable, perhaps even bordering on good. Trust my word as you would trust that of your own Master in your own disciplines."

I can only stare at the playwright. Kieu Haoyun does not know what he has just said. I bite my lip to keep from laughing and instead simply nod. He does not need to know that I trust him- and almost anyone I've just met- far more than I trust Elder Siani.

The playwright doesn't seem to notice my reaction. "It is true that your technique is rudimentary at best and your improvisation needs polishing, but your instincts are sound. You knew when to break the tension and when to let it rise. And there were several moments in your scene where Mu Yizhen sounded almost real. Most of this art can be taught. But being able to convey sincerity as a character? That is a skill you either have or you do not."

Part of me is still fairly certain that the playwright is just being polite, but to say so after his flat denial would do nothing but offend him. Besides, Daiyu is nodding along with Kieu Haoyun's words. She lets out a contented sigh and leans over to rest her head on my shoulder. "I can assure you, Uncle, that if there is one thing Zhi excels at, it is speaking at length with sincerity."

I pause and glance down at my partner. Should I be offended? I'm not entirely certain why, but it feels as if I should be offended.

As I wrestle with my feelings, Kieu Haoyun turns his focus back to Daiyu. "It sounds as if there's quite the story there," he says. "And I would love to hear it. Would you be interested in sitting in on the next play as well? It will be harder to work you into 'The Night of Long Knives', but I am certain it can be done. After that, we'll have a longer intermission before our next production, and I would be delighted to hear what you've been up to since joining your sect."

Daiyu's head stirs on my shoulder as a smile spreads across her face. I glance from her to Kieu Haoyun. "That sounds wonderful, Sir Kieu. I will claim a seat in-"

"I would not wish to further harm your production," Daiyu interrupts, trampling over my attempted acceptance. "But perhaps tomorrow? I would love to just sit and talk for a while- if you've no afternoon show, of course."

Kieu Haoyun nods his acceptance, but I glance at Daiyu with confusion writ large on my face. Does she not want to spend more time on stage and with those that knew her Master? Is she trying to be courteous of me? "It is alright if you want to stay," I murmur. "I am quite content just watching you-"

"I know it is, and I know you would be," Daiyu interrupts. She lets out a sigh and shakes her head, a fond look on her face. "But the Lotus Players will be here tomorrow, after the end of our guard shift- and we can only have one first festival together."

The playwright eyes me with considerably more curiosity than before, but he makes a noise of agreement. "Yes, yes, carry on with your evening. Don't let an old fogey like me delay you," he chides us, gesturing for us to shoo with both hands. "We will indeed be here on the morrow. There are no performances planned until the day after; stop by at your leisure."

Daiyu and Kieu Haoyun trade a few more details about the former's schedule and the latter's lodgings and exchange one more tight embrace. But in short order, we've been banished from the stage and sent on our way back through the clogged streets of the Summit.

As we walk, I glance over at Daiyu, who has wrapped both of her arms around mine and is resting her head against my shoulder as we walk. "Are you certain?" I cannot help but ask. "I know how much your troupe meant to you, and while the Lotus Players are not them… well, I would be happy to watch the shows while you catch up with Sir Kieu and the rest of the players regardless."

A soft smile graces Daiyu's face as she looks at me- before she rolls her eyes dramatically. "Kong Zhi," she sighs, my clan name sounding strange and foreign on her lips. "If you keep protesting, I will begin to think you do not want to spend time with me."

"No!" I practically yelp in reflex. "Not at all! I… you've just… you've seen me nearly every moment of every day for almost two months. I can sacrifice some small amount of your company if it makes you happy."

At first, it doesn't seem like Daiyu is going to dignify that with a response. She merely turns away from me and leans against my shoulder once more. It is only after a few moments of walking in silence that she speaks. "Zhi," she murmurs softly. "There will be other times for the Lotus Players, other times for Uncle Haoyun. But tonight, spending tonight with you, has made me happier than I've been in years."

She glances at me and leans up, pressing a soft kiss to my cheek. "Please forgive this greedy Mei Daiyu," she sighs. "But I am not ready for it to end any time soon."

…my words fail me. All I can do is pull my arm from Daiyu's grasp and wrap it around her shoulders in a tight embrace. From the contented noise she lets out, that suits her just fine.

The two of us continue our tour of the peak as the streets around us somehow become even busier. More and more citizens of the Summit are venturing out in celebration of their young master's return. Far behind us, I can hear the Lotus Players begin their next show to a massive ovation, and they are far from the busiest attraction.

Nor is this peak the only one buzzing with activity. Our feet take us to one of the white jade bridges leading to another, smaller peak that seems to hold no less activity. I glance at Daiyu and then back to the lower peak. "I think we've exhausted the stalls around us," I say. "Should we go back to something or should we go to the next peak?"

Daiyu's brow scrunches in thought. "I think it should be fine to venture forth… but wait, do you think they'll have another Pearl Blossom stand there? Because I'm out of Pearl Blossoms."

I idly reach into my pocket and pull out one of mine, passing it to Daiyu. As she pops the sweet treat in her mouth, I muse, "There has to be more than one Pearl Blossom stand in this festival. But on the other hand, we do know where that one is. Still, we can always come-"

But any thought of Pearl Blossoms vanish as the festive air is split by the shrill cry of a hunting beast.

My eyes snap to the lower peak. At first, nothing seems to be amiss save for the people looking around, confusion writ large on their face. Some of them even shrug, dismissing the noise as they continue their merriment. But as I scan the streets, Daiyu's head jerks off of my shoulder as if it's been set aflame. She jabs one finger towards the sky. "Look!"

I follow her pointing finger to find a large patch of black somehow darker than the night around it. It circles the peak on giant wings, lazily cutting through the air like a shark in the water. It moves faster and faster as we watch, moving even closer to the peak before diving.

As the dark shape tears through the sky of lanterns, brief flashes of it become clear. I catch a glimpse of pale feathers, of a wickedly hooked beak, of cruel talons- and of overwhelming hunger as it moves to pluck a person from the streets.

I trade a glance with Daiyu- before we both move.

The Festival has been disrupted by the attack of an enormous, man-eating bird of some variety. How does Kong Zhi react?
[] I will directly engage the bird as best I can, holding it's attention until help can arrive.
[] The bird can dive through the lanterns, but it will likely find buildings a tougher test. I will get as many citizens of the Summit off of the streets, inside, and hopefully out of harm's way.
[] This is Jingyi's Summit, the city of the Zhuan. There are well trained soldiers and guards around every corner. I will find them and summon aid as quickly as I can.
[] Write-In

That was very cute. Thank you Ves!

[x] I will directly engage the bird as best I can, holding it's attention until help can arrive.

We're pretty good on defense. I see no reason not to go after this thing. With Elegant Plume we might actually be able to engage it in the air in limited capacity.

I know the secrets of how to divine the future from naught but the stars, the trees, and this talking spider I've bargained with that knows how to divine the future.
What a line.

[X] I will directly engage the bird as best I can, holding it's attention until help can arrive.
I feel like the Zhuan don't need us to summon defenders, and this thing is moving to eat someone now. Gotta go fast.

I would be shocked if this is not part of the show, and if the guards were not already on the way.

Well, not that shocked. If it's SFX it's pretty good ones tho.

[x] I will directly engage the bird as best I can, holding it's attention until help can arrive.
Interrupting date night? YOU ARE COURTING DEATH!

That said, the opportunity to see the Summit's soldiers in action is something that would be a wonder to behold.

[X] This is Jingyi's Summit, the city of the Zhuan. There are well trained soldiers and guards around every corner. I will find them and summon aid as quickly as I can.

[X] I will directly engage the bird as best I can, holding it's attention until help can arrive.

"And here we can see the man-eating Giant Cockatoo, in its natural habitat trying to eat a young brave man. Ahh, the wonders of nature."

I can only stare at the playwright. Kieu Haoyun does not know what he has just said. I bite my lip to keep from laughing and instead simply nod. He does not need to know that I trust him- and almost anyone I've just met- far more than I trust Elder Siani.

Zhi, Zhi, Zhi, I know you trust Elder Siani to kill you if you speak a word about [REDACTED]. It's just... with most other things Elder Siani seems to take a more jester approach.

Hrmm.
Genuinely sneaking a War Anam point off the Zhuan soldiers is quite tempting to try, but I also like the idea of just bonking the bird right next to them…

this is a tough one. On the one hand, the Zhuan clan seem to have very competent security, and a wildcard could interfere with that, on the other had anyone who would dare to attack them probably thinks they are better than Zhuan security. kinda leaning just getting the guards, since Jingyi's summit civillians probably have disaster drills. it also gives the Zhuan face.

[X] This is Jingyi's Summit, the city of the Zhuan. There are well trained soldiers and guards around every corner. I will find them and summon aid as quickly as I can.

Wouldn't be the first time we acted as live bait.

Ah. what saccharine scenes. Good romance.

I'll be honest, given the competence of the Zhuan it boggles the mind that such a beast could even be attacking right now but if its like...a vestige that just showed up or something I can understand how it might get a few swings in before being obliterated by one of the greater artists.

Even though I'm wondering if this is part of the festival somehow, the crowd's confusion makes it unlikely. Plus even if it is we basically risk nothing but embarrassment by being hasty in our defense compared to potentially letting seated die due to inaction.

We should be within a few minutes of response at best by the Zhuan's competent guard force so what we need now is not calling for backup that likely has working ears just like we do, or difficult evacuation procedures. Just go fist to face and hold it down till they can squash it. Zhi is pretty good at that if he goes all out, even against a slightly stronger opponent.

Back