The Path Unending (A Cultivation Quest)

[X] [NAME] A Moment's Respite
[X] [ANAM] Earth
[X] [ANAM] Water
[X] [TASK] You have made inroads with Jai Fa, the more martial of the two Jai twins. She has invited you to spar with her and a few friends. It will likely hurt, but it could be an opportunity to expand your social circle.
[X] [TASK] You will need materials if you are to begin work on your current charm project. You had best begin work in finding them.
-[X] You will go seek out the market for new materials.

I will never understand why people chose to play a martial arts quest and decide to not become a martial artist. . .

This whole thing with people attacking could have been avoided if you had all gone with genre conventions, instead you're gonna wind up paying protection money to the assholes cause you can't fight.

Its pathetic

The thing is exactly that: it's too common, too bland, too generic... Too boring. There are a thousand stories like that, but the greatest fun of quests is doing it your way, is making the different, is seeing a story unfold with your input, making it unique. Why would I thus guide it into something common? That's what makes no sense to me.

Is it because it's time anam? Did it somehow leap forward in time to enter you here? Time anam has certainly felt strange to cycle. Cycling time has felt more like playing with a small animal or a very young cousin than it has felt like the simple act of power drawing you felt at the Prospector's Tears. Can it lie in wait and show up later- or maybe it's come back from the future and is now putting itself at your service earlier than it once did? Are you going to cycle tomorrow and find some portion of the anam that just vanishes when you draw it? Or maybe it's- your head hurts.

Whatever the case, it's here. You should use it while you have it. You leave your bed and grab the rings from your robe pockets. With them safely ensconced on your lap, you continue the process of infusion.

Okay, I admit at first I thought it would be a new aspect, or something that could be reappering or somesuch, and then I remembered...

Item Gained: Unnamed Earth Monk Charm

That we got this finished. And it's glorious to have our first charm, even though it's not the best, it is ours, made by us.

[X] [ANAM] Time
[X] [ANAM] Heaven

So, I don't think heaven has any chance, and I think time is pretty cool, but if we could make a core with two or more elements, it would be best, and having time WITH heaven seems pretty interesting to me.

-[] [NAME] Write-In Name

Leaving blank for now, I honestly don't know, the wagon name just doesn't... Click for me. So blank for now.

[X] [TASK] You have made inroads with Jai Fa, the more martial of the two Jai twins. She has invited you to spar with her and a few friends. It will likely hurt, but it could be an opportunity to expand your social circle.
[X] [TASK] You have accepted a commission from Jai Shouxi, the more verbose of the two Jai twins. He will be working on a pill for you as you work on a charm for him. Perhaps the two of you could work together on your tasks.

While I still think we shouldn't focus on physical, this is much more than that. She invited us, just after our talk, so probably this is either a test, her giving us a chance to get more allies/know her better, or both. It's too good to pass up. And I'll explain the second one just below...

I would argue against her brother's social action as it involves working on our projects together and it seems like a bad idea to try and do that without materials. So instead, I say we try and find a market.
We need materials to make the charm, we have no skill at finding or hunting for materials, afaik, and it'd be nice to know the expected prices of things going forward. I don't see us realistically getting both light and water supplies without it, and time seems to be winning the anam vote.

I was also thinking of going for the materials, but then something hit me: Shouxi is VERY sure he can make our potion, and he will also be without materials after the elder goes away. So why is he so sure? I think he knows how or where to best get such materials, and this could be useful. Even more, we don't know what kind of materials we'd be needing right now, and having his input on his charm would be nice. Once more, a third advantage: we might even learn something about pill making. Not much, absolutely, but just a bit is already more than we know.

We also might want to consider selling or trading our monk charm if we're low on money, it's pretty situational, and I don't expect we're going to get much use out of being able to push back one of our stress boxes for a day. If we can use it to offload stress boxes to another person, then it gains a lot of versatility, as a trap, as a way to constantly push ourselves and offload the negatives onto someone else, or to take on stress for a friend. It would make it a useful teamwork ability if we can use it that way, but we'd need @Vesvius to weigh in on the validity of that.

I agree that it's a very situational tool, but you might be underselling it. This can have the same effect as a skill that won't let you die in a single shot, instead putting you at 1hp, and at the same time it is useful for mental efforts aswell. Yes, we are only displacing it, but it's the difference between having damage while battling or working hard, and taking damage while we're recovering or after it, that we are ready to take and recover from. It's still very situational, but it's also very useful, and can be pretty strong, if used rightly, especially if we caught our enemy by surprise.

[X] [ANAM] Time
[X] [TASK] You have accepted a commission from Jai Shouxi, the more verbose of the two Jai twins. He will be working on a pill for you as you work on a charm for him. Perhaps the two of you could work together on your tasks.

[X] [ANAM] Time

...hey @Vesvius ?

Quick question. Physical stress doesn't necessarily have to be straight up damage right? Would plain fatigue/exhaustion count as physical stress? Same with mental exhaustion and mental Stress?

Like for example... Could we use this charm to refresh Kong Zhi after something exhausting, like say an obstacle course or an emergency cram session, so he could then face another task at his peak?

...hey @Vesvius ?

Quick question. Physical stress doesn't necessarily have to be straight up damage right? Would plain fatigue/exhaustion count as physical stress? Same with mental exhaustion and mental Stress?

Like for example... Could we use this charm to refresh Kong Zhi after something exhausting, like say an obstacle course or an emergency cram session, so he could then face another task at his peak?
If anything ticks off a stress box, it can be stuck in the rings.

At worst, it's an extra point of health in a serious fight. Given that we only have three boxes, that's pretty significant. Other applications are more situational but honestly icing on the cake.

She invited us, just after our talk, so probably this is either a test, her giving us a chance to get more allies/know her better, or both. It's too good to pass up. And I'll explain the second one just below...

There's that.
And there's something else that has been bothering me about Zhi. It's his attitude regarding learning new stuff unrelated to charms. He just brushes it off and say that his talents doesn't lie in the direction. He did it with formation and fighting, and he'll probably continue to do that with everything else if we don't push him to do new things.

The upside is that if we base our core off it, we apparently can make our own supply. That's pretty cool for something as likely to be rare and esoteric as Time, while sources of Earth anam are probably more common.

We've been warned against doing so, our path will be set in stone and the warning was regarding drawing too much of water, earth and mud.

I suppose we don't necessarily become Time attuned by making the core out of it and we haven't cycled that much yet. But to be safe we should draw from other sources than a Second of Eternity before we form the core. That should at least mitigate some of the drawbacks while still getting that Time core.

But you still have questions. "Excuse me, but if I may ask, what do you mean by improper foundation?"

This time, Jai Fa finishes chewing before she answers you. "It's something we learned from Elder Yixue yesterday," she states. "About the drawbacks of exclusive cycling. To draw on only one Natural Wonder is to attune your anam to it's aspects. Doing so without thought is to set your path in stone before you've even taken a step."

Jai Shouxi swallows and continues his twins thought. "So everyone out there? They're filling up on earth, water, and mud. Should they be able to forge their way to Soldier, their anam will be attuned to those three aspects. While it might benefit some, I have doubts that they all wish to be Mud artists in the future."

I think we should spend at least one more turn exploring and possibly find another Natural Wonder before we commit to one anam and Soldier Step.

But Time is such an interesting Way!

Also there has to be some sort of benefit to only attuning to one element.

We don't have to do it now though?
If we get Time as a core it means that we don't have to go around looking for Time aspected Natural Wonders, and instead draw from the core.

Attunement seems to be another thing, probably a bonus towards cycling that specific aspect and a malus for others. But we'll still be able to draw Time from the core even if we're not attuned.

Or, it could be that we automatically get attuned to whatever anam the core is made out of.

We just don't know, and it's at least worth trying to learn about it before making the core.

Looks like the lessons regarding cultivation is done, but there must be some way to find out how the stuff works.

Medicines are a source of anam too. The pill we get will give us anam of that type.

If we want a diverse core, we could use Prospector's Tears (mud), Second of Eternity (time) and a pill (something else) to give us three different types of anam. That's probably plenty.

Also, as a crafter we are less bound by anam type than more martial Artists. Charms convert anam into whatever the charm uses, making the base type irrelevant. As we continue down our path it would probably start becoming relevant eventually but we have a lot of leeway.

Last edited:
I still say that there should be some benefit to staying mono epement, and Time is one I am fairly happy to focus on.

One of the things I like about time is that because time effects everything... presumably time anam wont have a lot of compatibility issues with other elements, like Fire/Water etc

We should probably at least find and incorporate the primary anam that our family uses, if only to ensure that some of our family's techniques can be used by us.

Current Tally. Vote closes in three hours!
Adhoc vote count started by Vesvius on Mar 31, 2020 at 12:23 PM, finished with 46 posts and 31 votes.

You know, just seeing the tally now, a thought crept up: isn't the Rings of Tomorrow Burden too obvious a name? What I mean is, won't someone who knows the name have a good chance of understanding how it works? If so, that's a big no no, surprising our adversary in a situation of risk is one of the greatest strengths of this charm.

Just a random thought, though.

[X] [ANAM] Time

Vote closed. The winners are:

[] [TASK] You have made inroads with Jai Fa, the more martial of the two Jai twins. She has invited you to spar with her and a few friends. It will likely hurt, but it could be an opportunity to expand your social circle.
[] [TASK] You have accepted a commission from Jai Shouxi, the more verbose of the two Jai twins. He will be working on a pill for you as you work on a charm for him. Perhaps the two of you could work together on your tasks.
[] [NAME] A Moment's Respite
[] [Anam] Time
Adhoc vote count started by Vesvius on Mar 31, 2020 at 3:37 PM, finished with 51 posts and 32 votes.

Last edited:
17. Crafters of all sorts
[] [TASK] You have made inroads with Jai Fa, the more martial of the two Jai twins. She has invited you to spar with her and a few friends. It will likely hurt, but it could be an opportunity to expand your social circle.
[] [TASK] You have accepted a commission from Jai Shouxi, the more verbose of the two Jai twins. He will be working on a pill for you as you work on a charm for him. Perhaps the two of you could work together on your tasks.
[] [NAME] A Moment's Respite
[] [Anam] Time
In broad strokes, Jai Shouxi outlines exactly what he wants in a charm. He would like a rod or another kind of small implement that he can hold in his hands. He wants an Archer technique imbued into it so that he can attack from a distance. But as far as anam goes, he's not entirely certain.

"Both water and light have their appeal," he tells you as he finishes his breakfast. "Light is by far the superior aspect for Archer techniques. It is fast, it is near impossible to block, and it makes the largest impression. But water is far more versatile. If the charm is made with light then it would only have one function. But one with water could be used for multiple effects."

"If you could manage it, both would be welcome," Jai Shouxi adds with a sheepish grin. "But I know that is asking a great deal in exchange for such a simple pill. So I shall leave it up to your discretion." At your nod, he produces a small pad of paper. "And speaking of your pill, have you decided which aspect you would like it to cultivate?"

"I have given it some thought," you answer in probably the largest understatement you've ever uttered. This morning, before you had come downstairs and after you had decided to accept Jai Shouxi's offer, you had been nearly paralyzed by choice. There are just so many different aspects of anam, all of which can be useful in their own right. Even just the basic eight each have enough potential to boggle your mind. And when you really expand the field to the hundreds of not thousands of other known aspects… it's amazing you were able to make a choice at all.

But you did successfully make one. "I think I'll go with time," you say. "If that is at all doable."

Sense Motive Check! 1d10s8. Dice rolled: 2. No successes. Fail!

Jai Shouxi considers it for a moment and then gives you a nod. "I have not worked with time anam before, but it seems an intriguing challenge. Though I must warn you, it may take multiple attempts for me to succeed when refining something as delicate as time."

You shrug, accepting the warning. "I understand completely. And as I am asking you to do something more difficult than usual, I shall do the same. I'll work to put both water and light in your charm as payment. Does that sound fair?"

The refiner grins and nods. "More than fair."

Negotiations finished, the two of you rise. "I should get right to work," Jai Shouxi continues. "I will be using the Spire's lower plaza as my workstation. If you plan to do the same, just let me know so I can adjust my preparations."

You think for a moment and then reply, "That sounds like a good idea. I will also set up down there, at least until the infusion stage. Should we begin our preparations now?"

"There is no time like the present," he replies. "I will meet you down there." With another grin, the small disciple ducks past you, heading for his bedroom. You go to follow him out of the kitchen but are stopped by a noise from Jai Fa.

You glance over your shoulder at the other Jai twin. "Did you want to join us as well?" you ask.

Jai Fa shakes her head. "No. I am not one for crafting," she replies. "However, if you and my brother are finished with your work by midafternoon, I will be joining with some of the others from the combat courses for sparring. If you would like to join us it would not be unwelcome."

...that may be the most words you have ever heard her say at once before. It's enough that you almost miss what she actually said. But once you get over the surprise, you consider her words. "That sounds… painful," you finally answer.

"It will be," she promptly replies. "But starting will always be painful. The sooner you do it, the sooner you get it out of the way."

She raises a valid point. You give her a nod. "Is there a place I should meet you?" Jai Fa gives you some directions to some craters not far from Elder Sela's usual meeting place and you carefully commit them to memory. Once you're done you bid her farewell for now and head back upstairs for your tools.

Down in the lower plaza, Jai Shouxi has already begun his preparations. He has dozens of papers strewn around a section of the stone floor which he is shuffling through intently. He picks up one as you watch and carefully considers it. Whatever is written on it must not be what he's looking for; he tosses the page over his shoulder, where it joins a growing pool of them.

You make your way to the other side of the plaza and start getting your workstation set up. You're going to need a table for one thing; the one in your bedroom will do just fine. You jog upstairs to get it and return quickly, grunting with effort as you shove the heavy rosewood where you need it to be. A stool is next, so you commandeer one from the kitchen.

With that done, you spread out your tools and double check them. Almost all of them are in pristine condition after your maintenance yesterday. Your Miststeel set is primed and ready, and your Crystal Eye is immaculate. The only tools that you still need to labor over are your ordinary iron set. You've gone so long without using them that they are dusty and uncalibrated. You're not certain you've used them since you got your Miststeel set. But that is a mistake; you should be using plain iron for some tasks, if only to save your Miststeel some wear and tear. You get to work preparing them for use.

When you're done, you turn to find that Jai Shouxi is still pouring through his papers. Some have apparently met his approval as they are affixed to the wall with some kind of glue. But most have not; the pool behind him is deep enough for you to swim in. You wander over in his direction. "What are you doing?" you ask.

Jai Shouxi spares you a glance, but most of his focus remains on the papers in front of him. "I am going through my notes to see which formation is most appropriate for the anam I will be working with. I shall need a pill myself to supplement the Kingfisher Elixir, so I will be using water. That is no challenge, but Fa needs a fairly delicate mix that can easily be ruined with too much water, so the formation must be able to separate multiple batches. I don't want to risk cross contamination between the two, let alone invite whatever effects time will have into what we take."

"That seems challenging," you reply. "Why not build separate formations for each batch?"

"Because that would be wasteful," Jai Shouxi scoffs. "Building one strong formation is a challenge, true, but it is far less effort than building the same formation three times. Not to mention that if I were to undergo the refining process three times, I would have to purify the space between each finishing or the anam could linger. So in actuality, it would be five times the effort for the same result. It is far more economical to make one proper foundation."

He flips through another page, this one old and weathered, and hits it lightly with the back of his hand. "Perfect," he mutters to himself. Jai Shouxi dips his fingers in a small pot at his feet and dabs the back of the paper before sticking it up on the wall the others he has found acceptable. "With the principles from the Indomitable Way crossed with the structure of Gozei's Eighteenth Creation, I should be able to minimize risk." He looks over the papers for another moment before turning to you. "That should do it for my preparations. How are you coming with yours?"

"I am finished," you answer.

Jai Shouxi cranes his neck to look around you towards your station. "That's all you need?" he asks, doubt heavy in his voice.

You do your best to ignore it. "Yes," you answer instead of taking offense. "Save the materials, of course. The Kong style is not one that relies heavily on diagrams and plans. We work with our tools, the materials, and the knowledge already within our minds. Anything else is superfluous."

Jai Shouxi looks like he wants to press further, but he thinks better of it. "Very well. All I need before I truly get started is ingredients as well. I know of a good shop for them at the market. Would you care to accompany me?"

You glance out the window at the central pillar and judge the intensity of the light. "That would be welcome," you reply. "As long as we are back by early afternoon. Your sister has invited me to spar."

The Jai winces theatrically at that. "Ouch. Better you than I, I suppose. I shall purchase extra Midnight Root; you will need the added healing later."

You leave the Spire and close the door in one fluid motion; it's far easier with someone else helping. Once you're on your way, you turn back to Jai Shouxi. "Midnight Root?" you ask. "I am unfamiliar with that."

"That's not surprising," he answers. "It has little to do with the charmcrafter's arts. But it is an essential source for refining blood anam, and it is the bedrock on which most healing elixirs are created. You can count on one hand the number of rejuvenating medicines that exist that do not have Midnight Root in it, and most of those are for far more specialized purposes."

"Interesting," you reply. "You know your ingredients."

He waves away your praise. "It is nothing that any third rate refiner doesn't know. Truly, anyone who claims the title that does not know Midnight Root is one that should be driven out of town with stones at his back before he kills someone."

That seems extreme, but you suppose Jai Shouxi would know best in this case. "I see," you answer. "Still, it seems impressive to a neophyte such as myself. And that elixir is impressive work by your own admission. How long have you been training as a refiner?"

Jai Shouxi makes a humming sound as he thinks. "As a primary study? Several years, Though I have always loved the art. I have dabbled in it since I first discovered it, but it was only a few years ago I was given leave to devote my focus to it."

"Really? What were you supposed to work instead?"

Sense Motive Check! 1d10s8. Dice rolled: 9. One success. Pass!

"A little of this, a little of that," Jai Shouxi replies. He doesn't seem eager to expand on that. Instead he almost rushes to a change in topic, mentioning an ingredient he has worked with before and asking you if you have had any experience with it before. You're curious, but you don't press. If he doesn't want to talk about whatever it is, you cannot force him.

As you talk the two of you make your way through the Delving Heart and back towards a familiar set of tunnels. They are the same ones Elder Lei led you down on your first trip into the sect. The trip this time is far more leisurely, with just you and Jai Shouxi chatting as you make your way up the darkness.

This time, the darkness seems much less pressing. Perhaps it is because you have spent so much time underground with just lamps, torches, and the pillar as light, but whatever the case it doesn't seem nearly as threatening as last time. You don't even feel blind when you get to the band of utter blackness; it's more like you're wearing a veil instead of a heavy hood.

But while the darkness might not bother you, the light certainly does.

The light of the sun pierces your eyes like a dagger the moment you step out of the cavern. You let out a low hiss of pain and clench your eyes shut, seeing only dancing white motes on a red field. You mumble something angrily, and Jai Shouxi chuckles. "Ah, you haven't been out since arrival. My apologies; I should have warned you. Give it some time and your eyes should adjust."

He grasps your shoulder and guides you out of the middle of the path. You grunt a thanks as you blink over and over, trying to clear your eyes. Tears drip down your face from the sudden glare of the sun and you're powerless to stop them.

"Excuse me," a new voice sounds. "Are you quite alright?"

You're too distracted by the discomfort to answer, but Jai Shouxi is under no such handicap. "He is," he answers. "It is merely exposure to the sun, nothing more."

"Ah," the voice answers. "Of course. Have you been well, Jai Shouxi?"

The two talk as you clear your vision. Eventually, the daggers of the sun retreat and you're able to wipe your eyes. The world around you resolves into the timber-enclosed village in the shadow of the Brightmaple Mountains. Beside you, Jai Shouxi is chatting with a vaguely familiar face: the rotund disciple you have seen several times now. Ming Hui you think his name was?

It's a guess that's confirmed when Jai Shouxi makes introductions. "Have the two of you met?" he asks. When both of you shake your heads, he continues. "Ming Hui, it is my pleasure to make known to you my roommate, Kong Zhi. Kong Zhi is a charmcrafter of no little skill and it was to my good fortune that we chose to live in the same home. Kong Zhi, it is equally good to make known to you Ming Hui, who I have shared several lessons with. Ming Hui walks the path of the chef, and allow me to tell you that if he offers to cook for you, there is no way you can say yes fast enough."

Ming Hui laughs at that, his stomach shaking like a bowl of jelly. "Please Jai Shouxi, do not oversell my talents!" he chortles. "I would not want Kong Zhi to raise his expectations too high!" Still, he reaches out and offers you an arm to clasp. "And I am not a chef yet. It is merely an aspiration."

You take it with a matching smile. "And an impressive one, I'm sure. I must say though that I have not heard much about chefs that would lead them into an Artist's life."

The heavy boy grins, revealing dimples so deep you could stick a coin in them. "I hear that most every day!" he booms out. "But know this, Kong Zhi: the art of the Immortal Chef is as worthy as the art of a charmcrafter such as yourself."

At your side, Jai Shouxi rolls his eyes, a teasing smirk on his face. "I'm sure it is. The path of the Immortal Chef is truly one to be feared. After all, why would anyone simply take a pill for power when they could instead sit and wait for seven years as the Chef waits for the Centennial Bull to be just right!"

Ming Hui spins on Jai Shouxi and jabs a heavy finger in his chest. "I shall have you know that that Centennial Bull was cooked so perfectly that it resulted in the reconciliation of the Steadfast Court! Epics were written about that meal. Songs have tried to capture it for generations! No one writes a poem about that pill that someone took because they decided to do without food that day!"

Relationship Established: Ming Hui (0).

Though his words are fierce, his tone is jibing. The two trade barbs and jokes for another few moments before Ming Hui pauses to wipe sweat from his brow. "My apologies, I have delayed you for too long. You came to the village for a purpose and I am keeping you from it."

Jai Shouxi dismisses his words with a shake of his head. "It has time well spent," he answers. "And Kong Zhi and I were merely coming to see what materials the markets had today."

"Ah! Then we are of similar purpose!" Ming Hui answers. "There are some choice cuts coming in today that I need to gather before another hears their clarion call. Come! Let us go and see what is available!"

And before you or Jai Shouxi can protest, Ming Hui has taken charge, pulling the two of you forward in his wake.

You are now shopping at the village market for materials. You have eight (8) talents to spend. What do you wish to buy? (Vote for all you desire. Anything with more than 50% of the vote will win. Keep in mind, these ingredients are randomly generated! They most likely will not be here next time you come back to market.)
1 Talent Ingredients

[] A mound of natural glass (Light Aspected, +3 to development)
[] The blood of a salamander (Fire Aspected, +4 to development)
[] An collection of glowing husks from rare beatles (Light Aspected, +4 to development)
[] The skin of a spirit viper (Earth Aspected, +3 to development)
[] The bark of a willow vestige (Blood Aspected, +6 to development)
[] The hide of a war hyena from the wastes (Beast Aspected, +4 to development)

3 Talent Ingredients
[] The fossilized egg of a cuckoo bird (Force Aspected, +8 to development)
[] The teeth of a man-eating whale (Beast/Water Aspected, +5 to development)
[] A drop of water from Heaven's Tear, a Natural Wonder (Heaven Aspected, +2 to development)
[] A carnation, pressed with care (Wood Aspected, +4 to development)

5 Talent Ingredients
[] A rusted blade used in the Steel Succession (War/Time Aspected, +4 to development)
[] The first blade crafted by a smith to prove his worth (Steel/Pride Aspected, +7 to development)
[] A horn from a narwhal spirit, harvested whole (Ice Aspected, +10 to development)

Last edited:
Does the Natural Wonder regain anam or is it a one shot?

[X] The teeth of a man-eating whale (Beast/Water Aspected, +5 to development)
[X] A drop of water from Heaven's Tear, a Natural Wonder (Heaven Aspected, +2 to development)
[X] An collection of glowing husks from rare beatles (Light Aspected, +4 to development)
[X] The bark of a willow vestige (Blood Aspected, +6 to development)

Well, given we said we're going to try for both light AND water, having no water ingredients kinda blows, so I guess just buying both light aspected ingredients to start with should suffice.

[X] A mound of natural glass (Light Aspected, +3 to development)
[X] An collection of glowing husks from rare beatles (Light Aspected, +4 to development)

Back