The Path Unending (A Cultivation Quest)

I'm not in favor of deliberately failing in order to try to game the drive mechanic. Sounds like a great way to end up getting some negative traits. Keep in mind that there aren't any hard and fast rules for trait gain, so abusing the system could create one. We basically got our current trait because the QM wants us to take risks. Let's not prompt a trait to avoid deliberate failure.

@Vesvius Would us trying to have Kong Zhi fail right before every big training arc and crafting project be a desirable or undesirable behavior? Would you be willing to tell us if this changes before you start bringing in any mechanical changes?

Last edited:
@Vesvius Would us trying to have Kong Zhi fail right before every big training arc and crafting project be a desirable or undesirable behavior? Would you be willing to tell us if this changes before you start bringing in any mechanical changes?

I'm not Ves, but my personal opinion is that we should never try to fail just to game a trait mechanic. Be willing to take risks because of it? Sure! Losing isn't always the end of the world. But we should always try to win.

I'd imagine failing each and every training arc would demoralize Kong Zhi and give him a negative reputation. We shouldn't be afraid to fail, but we should always strive to win.

To be clear, the failure would be directly related to whatever we would be doing next. For instance having the trait from the beginning might have encouraged us to go to the depths from the beginning and then get beaten up before we train to overcome it.

To be clear, the failure would be directly related to whatever we would be doing next. For instance having the trait from the beginning might have encouraged us to go to the depths from the beginning and then get beaten up before we train to overcome it.
I dont think that's how the trait works. I think it only helps us with redoing the exact thing we failed at. Not all related grinding actions.

cannot be learned at all.
Formed From Pressure: Kong Zhi cannot, will not, allow himself to cower and hide after failure. He will always rise and attack the problem once again, twice as hard. When Kong Zhi is attempting something that he has previously failed at (fighting an opponent for the second time after losing the first, reattempting a failed charm concept, etc.), he gains +0.3 Drive.
Well, it depends. If we're defeated in combat, and we're training specifically to try against the person who beat us? We'll try harder.
I do not think the wording of the trait supports such a broad application. Failing at fighting someone is not the same as failing at training.

I do not think the wording of the trait supports such a broad application. Failing at fighting someone is not the same as failing at training.

Drive doesn't affect combat.
It also doesn't affect social rolls (it appears to influence our characterization but not success or failure).
It doesn't affect gathering rolls.
It doesn't affect looking for sites.

If the trait works like you suggest, it has no mechanical consequences.

Here's the thing, Dingdonghandron: Drive doesn't apply to combat rolls.

Yet, that was given as an example in the trait description. So, the implication is that it would apply to the relevant training.

EDIT: Might as well check, I guess. Hey @Vesvius, say we lose to someone in a fight, and then we train to get better specifically to fight that person. Would that benefit from Formed from Pressure?

Drive doesn't affect combat.
It also doesn't affect social rolls (it appears to influence our characterization but not success or failure).
It doesn't affect gathering rolls.
It doesn't affect looking for sites.

If the trait works like you suggest, it has no mechanical consequences.

If I were Ves, I might change this by making Drive apply more broadly or reframing the trait, rather than by setting it up to apply to things that weren't just retries. On the other hand, I suppose he always has the option of just stopping us from using it for anything too tangential.

On the other hand, I am definitely not Ves.

I think Elder Siani has already realized that we get more motivated rather than less by failure and is currently thinking up ways to put us through hell.

Oh no. He probably is. closes eyes

The Box Beckons and the Alternative version are both tempting...I'd like to figure out who Jin's champion is so we can have our champion prepare for their fighting style, and also find out own champion this turn.

On the other hand, we might be able to lock Shouxi in as a friend now, and I imagine it'll be harder to make friends after the 9th circle because we'd have to balance our existing friends and spend a lot of time working with Siani/exploring.

[X] Plan: THE BOX BECKONS

I suppose it's not really necessary to find Jin's champion ASAP since we're probably going with Jai Fa anyway and won't be tailoring our charms to our opponent.

Current Tally:
Adhoc vote count started by Vesvius on Jun 14, 2020 at 4:30 PM, finished with 156 posts and 27 votes.

• [X] Plan: THE BOX BECKONS
    -[X] You have begun work on the charm for Xu Yun's commission. All it needs now is for you to finish infusing it.
    --[X] Cloud's Breath
    -[X] You will go hunting for a beast whose parts can quickly be sold for Talents.
    --[X] Invite Nokai
    -[X] The Archives of the Delving Heart also offer to connect disciples with tutors in their discipline for a moderate cost. You will take advantage of the wisdom of your seniors.
    --[X] 5th Circle (6 talents, Counts as 3 Actions, 1d8+3 training roll)
    ---[X] Craft (Woodworking) (DEX): 2
    -[X] You are close to completing your glove of bone and wood. All that it requires is a few finishing touches. Time to get to work (1)
    --[X] You are close to completing your glove of bone and wood. All that it requires is a few finishing touches. Time to get to work (2)
    -[X] You have been challenged to a duel of champions by the fiend Jin Yazhu. For that to happen, you must secure a champion. You will attempt to decide on who that shall be.
    -[X] Jai Shouxi has moved on from pills and is trying his hand at medicinal teas. He would welcome your assistance as a test subject once more.
    [X] Plan: THE BOX BECKONS Alternative
    -[X] You have begun work on the charm for Xu Yun's commission. All it needs now is for you to finish infusing it.
    --[X] Cloud's Breath
    -[X] You will go hunting for a beast whose parts can quickly be sold for Talents.
    --[X] Invite Nokai
    -[X] The Archives of the Delving Heart also offer to connect disciples with tutors in their discipline for a moderate cost. You will take advantage of the wisdom of your seniors.
    --[X] 5th Circle (6 talents, Counts as 3 Actions, 1d8+3 training roll)
    ---[X] Craft (Woodworking) (DEX): 2
    -[X] You are close to completing your glove of bone and wood. All that it requires is a few finishing touches. Time to get to work (1)
    --[X] You are close to completing your glove of bone and wood. All that it requires is a few finishing touches. Time to get to work (2)
    -[x] Jin Yazhu has likely already selected his champion. You will attempt to follow him and glean who it will be.
    --[x] Request Mo Hanying to aid you in this. She clearly has people already monitoring everyone of note, including that Jin dog. It should be a trivial matter for her to tell you who his champion is. Offer her a favour of her choice to be repaid in the future for this information.
    -[x] You've been tasked with impressing an Elder if you wish to rise to the Eighth Circle. You have recently met Elder Siani, an Elder who seems to handle problems and rare situations around the sect. Elder Siani seems very interested in the Armory Map you fixed, and completing its tasks will likely draw further attention.
    --[x] You will seek out the point on the map closest to the surface (Counts as One Action)
    ---[x] Invite both Jai Fa and Shouxi
    [X] Plan The Box Waits
    -[X] Cloud's Breath
    --[X] Do not use Rainbow Eyes
    -[X] You are close to completing your glove of bone and wood. All that it requires is a few finishing touches. Time to get to work (4)
    -[X] You have been challenged to a duel of champions by the fiend Jin Yazhu. For that to happen, you must secure a champion. You will attempt to decide on who that shall be.
    -[X] Jai Shouxi has moved on from pills and is trying his hand at medicinal teas. He would welcome your assistance as a test subject once more.
    -[X] You will go hunting for a beast whose parts can be sold for Talents.
    --[X] Invite Nokai
    -[x] You've been tasked with impressing an Elder if you wish to rise to the Eighth Circle. You have recently met Elder Siani, an Elder who seems to handle problems and rare situations around the sect. Elder Siani seems very interested in the Armory Map you fixed, and completing its tasks will likely draw further attention.
    -[X] You will seek out the point on the map closest to the surface (Counts as One Action).
    --[X] Invite Jai Fa
    [X] Plan Not That Attached to the Box
    -[X] You have discovered some talent in the physical arts, but talent is useless if not honed. You will find an empty training field and work on your martial skills.
    -[X] You may now take assignments at the Delving Heart Assignment Hall. You will go, take one, and carry it out to the best of your ability.
    --[X] Your Core
    -[X] You are close to completing your glove of bone and wood. All that it requires is a few finishing touches. Time to get to work
    -[X] A true charmcrafter always has a ready supply of materials ready to go. You will go out and add to your collection.
    --[X] You will go scavenging for new materials.
    -[X] There are other disciples you have yet to meet, and you would like to change that. You'll mingle with your fellows.
    -[x] Jin Yazhu has likely already selected his champion. You will attempt to follow him and glean who it will be.
    --[X] You have some measure of stealth. Observe where he frequently goes and who he talks to.
    --[X] Mention to Jai Fa we will be occupying her brother's time, and that she should swing by to talk with Xu Yun during his break. He does miss his spars.
    -[X] Xu Yun will be working at the docks once again, and you found the process relaxing and not unenjoyable. You shall join him once more.

Planning a bonfire by SakSak
Not sure if the name of our prospective 5th circle woodworking tutor has been decided already, @Vesvius , so I took the liberty of making some assumptions.

Planning a bonfire

In a small courtyard a fair bit away from the great light-providing column, a gentle sound of hammering could be heard. The rhythmic sound broken only by the noise of something heavy dropping into its place. Tap, tap, tap-clunk. Tap, tap, tap-clunk.

This however, was normal. These sounds had echoed in the courtyard for two days now, from an open door in the courtyard.

Tap, tap, tap-clunk. Tap, tap, tap-clunk.

There was a pause. This too, was normal.

A woman emerged from the doorway, and went to the pile of wood carefully arranged next to the door.

She would lean over a small log, no thicker than a wrist and shorter than she was, examine deeply the expensive anam-enriched piece of Cold Starwood imported at frankly ludicrous price, lay her hand on it and with a simple swipe send sawdust flying one exacting hair-thickness at a time, in pursuit of perfection.

In defiance of common understanding, the sawdust did not linger in the air, it fell to the ground like gravel, and this too was normal. For the properties of the Starwood had the side-effect of making it very, very dense and almost impervious to normal tools of woodworking. But that was no obstacle here, for the seeker of perfection was one Changying of the Lu family, Honourable Sister of the 5th circle of the Delving Heart sect and her anam-fuelled carving technique was well beyond the need for mundane tools.

A paper was drawn from wherever it was hidden and was glanced at.

Swipe after swipe, cut after cut, until all was as it should: The wood debarked and a precise series of holes and crevices made, in accordance with the plan meticulously researched.

With great effort, she lifted the log and carried it inside the building, whereupon it was placed to the strange platform – or perhaps cage – hidden within.

She lifted her hand, and gave a gentle tap. One end of the log sunk just a little bit to a crevice in the previous log carved specifically for this purpose.

Another tap, and so did the other end.

A final tap, and with a clunk the whole log dropped three inches fully into its place, completing yet another aspect of the array.

Changying held up a lamp and peered closely. Not a single ray of light could escape through the logs. The angle was as required and the seal was perfect, as it should be. As it needed to be. For this was a culmination of 6 months of research and hard work. The Great Closed Lotus Formation, scaled upwards and layered upon itself sevenfold, and crafted from a specific subset of Starwood imported from a specific grove located in the Valley of Divine Truths.

All designed to work with her anam. It would make for a great bonfire and she would be right at its center as it burned, cycling and purifying and refining her anam through the formation and into the flames and then back into her core again. Maintaining her consciousness would be challenge for Cold Starwood burned not hot but intensely, hungrily, insistently, and for a long long time. Once lit, it would take an Elder to quench prematurely.

But that day was a few weeks away still. Many more logs would need to be carved.

And in the meanwhile, she'd still need to make payments to cover the costs of this rare material. This time, it was some 9th​ circle whelping called Kong Zhi who needed tutoring in woodcarving. Boring, and almost certainly an utter waste of her masterful skills, but it was worth some money.

Her hands itched to get back to work, yet duty calls.
But seriously, Ninth Circle! Not even a sixth or seventh, but a ninth? The young brother had better not be some wet-behind-ears beginner better served by reading scrolls and drinking their mother's milk, or by the Earth and the Heavens there would be violence for the insult against whomever had scheduled this amateur-hour tutoring session for her.

Last edited:
[X] Plan: THE BOX BECKONS Alternative

Frankly, I think we have more than enough muscle between the three of us to clear the 2 step of the hunt since w e hit the third already and cleared it with the 2 of us. if Nokai lends us a pupper to scent prey and just rests as planned we should be golden for this to pan out.

Back