Ship of Fools: A Taylor Varga Omake (Complete)

The most common usage of it that I have encountered means there are a number of types of 'North'. Planetary North is obvious, as it depends on a planet's own orientation. System North is usually perpendicular to the orbital plane of that system, in conjunction with the planets themselves. And Galactic North-South is perpendicular to the orbital plane of the galaxy. In space, there is no East or West, you have spinward, driftward, coreward and rimward.
Bear in mind of course that I could be wrong, this is just what I've encountered in a number of sci-fi novels and RPGs.

It's worth noting that using north as a normal/antinormal orientation still leaves ambiguity as there's no inherent upward dimension in space. Mathematical convention would probably have whichever side favors the galaxy appearing to spin counterclockwise, but that isn't a strong rule as it's not even followed here on earth where most pictures of the milky way involve it rotating clockwise.

Sucks lanthe had to go that far to keep the timeline intact. Hopefully Ellen can be pragmatic enough to see it was needed when she finds out. Maybe with a Newt in her arms to help keep her a bit emotionally grounded.

Ripley is extremely pragmatic. Especially when it is mentioned "Dealing with the Xenomorph inside you gave me the knowledge and skills to create the virus that immunized Humanity and the bacteria that turned the Bugs blood to dust... inside them."

Even then, how often during the Metal Gear games do you get into a firefight despite managing to 'perfectly' stealth through the area. You weren't spotted a single time. The alarm was never raised. You didn't even knock a single guard out. You just quietly slipped past them all without being noticed. Then BAMN! You're under attack!

I'd imagine in MGS1 when you're in the room where you can't get spotted once or the doors lock the guards knew that that cardboard box they kept spotting in different locations was Snake. They were just under orders to let him through if he didn't raise a ruckus and draw too much attention to himself. In MGS2's opening part Snake manages to slip quietly onto the cargo ship. Slips through the entire ship completely unnoticed (assuming you the player can manage that). Then gets spotted immediately by mercs who hadn't even known he was going to be there, thus pulled into a gun battle. Oh, and the boss fight where he's again spotted and pulled into a boss fight...

Actually, in every single one of the first 5 games (Metal Gear 1 and 2 and MGS 1 through 3) the mission is compromised pretty much from the begining.

Remember, its Author Fiat, in order to make the game "More Interesting". Otherwise we would have a game with no fighting at all. (Sarcasm) Who'd want that?

Re: Taylor and nautical terminology...
I would like to point out that when she investigated the tanker prior to moving it, she didn't know the right terms, and simply referred to the bow as 'the pointy end'. That said, Amy and Lisa still might not be up on the proper terms and they came up with this set so they all had a common frame of reference.

Remember, its Author Fiat, in order to make the game "More Interesting". Otherwise we would have a game with no fighting at all. (Sarcasm) Who'd want that?

Storyline wise, every Metal Gear game's mission is compromised right from the very beginning. At least with the first five games it is. In Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 the leaders of the badguys are Big Boss and Gray Fox. Gray Fox is a co-worker of Snake's and his best friend. And Big Boss is the one in charge of the Fox-Hound unit Snake belongs to. Both missions are compromised, and in fact Snake was sent because he is the least skilled member. He was suppose to fail the missions, not uncover what's going on and stop Big Boss's plans twice. In MGS1 Liquid Snake compromises the entire mission by killing and impersonating Miller, someone everyone else trusts. But the mission would have been compromised anyway due to Naomi wanting revenge for Gray Fox's death. In MGS2 the main part of the game is a training simulation intended to recreate the Shadow Moses scenario in order to create an agent as good as Solid Snake that is loyal to The Patriots. This obviously is wrecked by Solidus Snake, Liquid Snake, and the arrival of Solid Snake to muck things up. And in MGS3 The Boss is a triple agent, thus was fully aware that her protoge Naked Snake was being sent in. Thus how her unit is able to ambush Snake each and every time even if you manage to get though without ever raising the alarms. Also how there can be the multiple ambushes that Ocelot pulls off even if you never once raised the alarm.

These are amazing games, don't get me wrong. But Naked Snake (Big Boss), Venom Snake, and Solid Snake are not paragons of stealth. And The Boss's plan wasn't amazing either. After all, it nearly goes completely off the rails due to the madness of the man she was ordered to give nukes to and the war machine he's having built. In fact, if her ordered betrayal hadn't of occurred, then Naked Snake would have been able to resolve things easily when he was first sent in. After all, you slip in, rescue the scientist, and are almost to your extraction site with no real problems when The Boss shows up, throws you off a bridge, and hands both the nukes and the scientist over to the game's main badguy. All under orders from Washington.

In fairness to the Snakes/Bosses it was never a lack of stealthiness that compromised their missions but the fact that their supporting organizations were untrustworthy.

Fair point, if the temple was still there. Now it's covering a significant portion of the planet as rubble. Yautja do not fuck around.

Actually, that's what the Yautja we see in the movies are doing. They're on a hunting vacation!

And in the Antartica temple movie (AvP?) they rely on ridiculously old machinery to keep the Alien Queen confined during the hunt.

IIRC, the temple can't be TOO widely dispersed as rubble, because the guy got out at the end.

In fairness to the Snakes/Bosses it was never a lack of stealthiness that compromised their missions but the fact that their supporting organizations were untrustworthy.

True, but it did tend to reinforce some bad habits. Such as hiding in cardboard boxes. Okay, yes Naked Snake managed to get away with this a few times. The tactic was novel at the time, and probably not something The Boss had ever considered. It also doesn't work in many locations. He then used the tactic again to good effect during the events of Peace Walker. Again, not something his foes likely considered. And again, it doesn't work everywhere. Venom Snake also uses the 'cardboard box' tactic to mixed results. But by this point it's something bad guys have learned to look out for. By the time Solid Snake and Raiden are using the tactic it would only fool someone if they've been ordered to let it fool them.

That said, it'd be interesting if Solid Snake was to join the Ship of Fools crew. Even if it was temporary, it'd be interesting.

True, but it did tend to reinforce some bad habits. Such as hiding in cardboard boxes. Okay, yes Naked Snake managed to get away with this a few times. The tactic was novel at the time, and probably not something The Boss had ever considered. It also doesn't work in many locations. He then used the tactic again to good effect during the events of Peace Walker. Again, not something his foes likely considered. And again, it doesn't work everywhere. Venom Snake also uses the 'cardboard box' tactic to mixed results. But by this point it's something bad guys have learned to look out for. By the time Solid Snake and Raiden are using the tactic it would only fool someone if they've been ordered to let it fool them.

That said, it'd be interesting if Solid Snake was to join the Ship of Fools crew. Even if it was temporary, it'd be interesting.
Raiden does have one advantage the others don't: He can use it against automated sensors to mail himself across the base. Solid Snake used it in trucks, sure, but Raiden can just hop on a conveyor belt and let the QR Code do the work. That said, I don't know if many players know you can use the boxes for fast travel like that.

Raiden does have one advantage the others don't: He can use it against automated sensors to mail himself across the base. Solid Snake used it in trucks, sure, but Raiden can just hop on a conveyor belt and let the QR Code do the work. That said, I don't know if many players know you can use the boxes for fast travel like that.
Two words: Positional Asphyxia
(Seen on an episode of CSI: Vegas)

It at least made a little sense when Snake uses the tactic to get transport in a truck. But Raiden's variation makes no bloody sense. The box being used to hide in has no bottom. So how the heck is he delivered smoothly? Even for Snake it only works because the bad guys were probably ordered to deliver any suspicious boxes they find in a truck right away. Interestingly, I think Snake doesn't start hiding in boxes until MGS1. As I recall, in Metal Gear (and presumably MG2) you just enter the back of a truck, and it moves to a different location.

EDIT: Huh, apparently Metal Gear also had a cardboard box. But it's really only useful in one room that I've seen, and then only to fool cameras. o_O

Last edited:
Chapter 24: It's Always a Goa'uld Time
Chapter 24: It's Always a Goa'uld Time

Brennus sat, staring at the opposite wall. The corridor he was in appeared to be made of granite, though it wasn't. At least, he wasn't able to phase through it, so it had to be at least slightly exotic in nature. He had wasted a significant amount of time when he first appeared here trying to shift into another dimension, phase through the walls, floors and ceiling, or use brute force to blow a hole he could pass through. The last had been somewhat humbling, as he couldn't even mark the wall, never mind tear a hole in it. There were no fixtures of any kind for ventilation, lighting or any other purpose on any of the surfaces. Light and air just seemed to exist, even though Brennus could get by without either of them.

He had tried following the corridors, but each path just wound around and around until coming to a four way intersection. Picking any of the four corridors would eventually lead to another, identical intersection. It may have been the same intersection, actually. The winding of the corridors didn't seem to indicate that, but no way he could devise to test that theory had worked. He had tried leaving created markers at an intersection, but they would disappear once he was out of sight. This was true even if he turned around immediately as soon as he rounded a curve in the corridor to look at where he just left it. After wandering for an interminable time, he finally decided to just sit and wait.

Eventually, he felt the presence again. After he first appeared in this prison, he had felt eyes on his back, as if he were being watched. Of course, he couldn't find the location of his watcher no matter how he looked. Eventually, the feeling faded, only to reappear later for a time. He wasn't sure if the periods between observation were the same or not. He just knew they continued to recur. When he felt it again, he spoke aloud for the first time.

"How long do you intend to keep me imprisoned here?" he asked the air.

To his surprise, a voice answered. The voice was deep and primal in a way that made him feel unease. "Until lessons are learned."

"Lessons? What are you trying to teach me?" he asked, a hint of outrage in his voice.

"Not just you," said the voice.

"Release me, or suffer the consequences!" yelled the trapped being.

The air seemed to darken. Brennus' vision was fading, which was odd, given that he didn't actually need visible light in order to see. He also started to feel cold, which was utterly impossible. He had long been beyond such things.

"Your arrogance is the reason you are here," hissed the voice. "You cower out of sight, afraid of of your cousins. You cower, afraid of what you might become. You cower, afraid that your playthings in the mortal realm might learn of you and decide that your time is long past ending."

"You know nothing about our role in the galaxy," said Brennus, though he was distressed to hear the uncertainty in his own voice. The other speaker's voice had seemed to grow quieter as he spoke, forcing him to strain to hear him.

"You need to remember mortality."

With that, Brennus found himself falling. He could not arrest his fall, no matter how much doing so should have been second nature to him. He didn't stop until he splashed into what felt like ice cold water. Long forgotten instinct kicked in, and he swam his way back to the surface, sputtering as he spat the water out of his mouth and forced it from his nose. It was still dark, but there seemed to be a flicker of light in the distance, like a candle in a dark room. He floated there, paddling in place to keep his head above water, as he tried to decide what to do. What was happening should not have been possible, and he wasn't sure how to react. Finally, he started to swim toward the light when he felt something brush against his leg beneath the dark water. The chill that worked down his spine was not just due to the cold.

Gradually, he found that instead of a candle, the light was coming from a campfire. As he drew closer after a long, long swim, he could see it rested on a tiny patch of land just inches above the water line. He kept swimming until he reached the land and pulled himself up onto the dirt. The fire provided him with only a small amount of warmth, but it was nonetheless welcome. As he lay there, resting, he wondered how any of this had happened. He hadn't felt these feelings since he ascended so long ago. He did not like this. Part of him mustered up a portion of his earlier outrage at being treated in such a fashion. Another, more primal part that he had thought long forgotten, was simply wondering what would happen when the fire burned down.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Ganos appeared in the cargo hold of the Ship of Fools in the middle of the floor and looked around. Already watching her point of arrival were Daniel Jackson, a tall, thin lizard-girl, and a much larger quadrupedal lizard with jet black scales. As soon as the ascended woman appeared, she spoke. "Wait, let me speak, please!" she quickly yelled.

The lizard-girl smiled with an unpleasantly toothy grin, and replied, "We always let your people speak first, Ganos. It's what they say that gets them into trouble."

Setting aside her surprise at the fact that she was recognized, she inquired, "Where are the others who came before?" When Daniel Jackson had reappeared after mysteriously vanishing, someone had been sent to collect him. When that Ancient had failed to return, another was sent to investigate. Then three more went together. Finally, the collective wisdom decided that they should send somebody with a slightly less antagonistic manner, and Ganos drew the metaphorical short straw.

The black lizard spoke for the first time. "They have been set aside for now. A good friend of ours is watching them, and trying to teach them how to behave in polite society."

"Will you release them?" she asked, not really hopeful for a positive answer. She knew the personalities involved. Teaching them manners was likely to take quite some time, possibly measured in geologic epochs.

"Eventually," replied the smaller lizard. "First, we should discuss Daniel Jackson."

Ganos looked over at Daniel, who was standing rather casually with his hands in his pockets. His lack of concern, combined with the fact that a number of her people had gone missing, suggested a cautious approach would be wise. The usual obfuscation and/or domineering attitude had obviously not worked so far.

"Daniel deliberately violated the rules for non-interference, despite knowing the likely penalty..." she began.

The larger, black lizard interrupted. "Daniel Jackson was working to stop the interference of another ascended."

"Anubis is no longer ascended. He is prohibited from using ascended knowledge," tried Ganos, slightly miffed despite herself at being interrupted.

The smaller lizard raised an eyebrow and replied, "We disagree with your interpretation of the situation."

Ganos looked at the two reptiles. They weren't from any species with which she was familiar. "If I may ask, who are you?"

That earned a respectful nod, at least. "Forgive us for not introducing ourselves earlier. I'm Saurial, and this is my cousin Metis. We represent the Family."

"Daniel Jackson is under our protection," added Metis.

Ganos appeared confused. "I'm not sure I understand?"

"Daniel appeared in our dimension and requested our assistance," explained Saurial. "We investigated his circumstances and decided to intervene."

Having these lizards be from another reality at least explained why none of the ascended host were familiar with them. Some of the Nox had been vague, but then that was typical behavior. Unfortunately, that ignorance had obviously led to her people underestimating their abilities. Despite that, she still had a mission to accomplish. "Many of our people will not accept him escaping punishment." Ganos prepared to defend herself if her statement wasn't taken well.

"Despite the fact that Oma Desala helped Anubis ascend, and your people failed to descend him properly," said Metis sarcastically.

Ganos frowned, but nodded. "Yes, despite that."

"Daniel has already been returned to human form. Taking his memories from his mortal life goes too far. You had no claim to them," said Saurial firmly.

While Ganos could admit they had a point, she couldn't really understand why they took issue with it. "That was simply a temporary side effect of removing his ascended memories. His mortal memories were just a tiny fraction of the total removed. He would have recovered them with time." Admittedly, the time involved might seem more significant if you were mortal.

Daniel spoke for the first time. "What if I agreed to allow the Asgard to remove the scraps of memory left?" They had done something similar for O'Neill without wiping his own memories.

Ganos considered that. Some of the hard-liners might complain, but they couldn't argue that the intent hadn't been satisfied. "That would be acceptable."

"And there won't be any other repercussions?" asked Metis.

There was one other issue she had to address. "Nobody will be allowed to help him ascend again. If he does so, he will have to get there on his own."

"I don't think that will be an issue." Saurial had a smug look on her face as she said that, though Ganos didn't know why.

"We have an agreement, then," said the ascended. "Now, what about our people?"

The lizard girl reached behind her and pulled out a basket. The basket was filled with brightly colored eggs. "Here you go!"

Ganos took the basket out of reflex. "I'm...not sure what to do with this?"

"Each of the Easter eggs contains one of your people," explained Metis.

Ganos stared at them for a solid twenty seconds. "You turned them into baby chickens?"

Saurial laughed out loud. "No, the eggs are simply multidimensional holding cells. I've turned off the effects that are keeping them trapped, so they should free themselves shortly."

"Very well," replied Ganos. She was puzzled, but nevertheless took the basket and left.

"Well, that went well," said Metis with a grin.

"It's better than having amnesia, I guess. Now we just have to hope that the Asgard are willing to help," said Daniel.

"Don't worry, Daniel," said Saurial. "Thor's already agreed to help."

Daniel looked at Saurial in surprise. "You've already spoken to Thor?"

The smug look on Saurial's face was becoming very familiar to Daniel Jackson due to constant exposure.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Carter, why don't you go home and get some sleep?" said O'Neill.

"What about you, sir? You've been here as long as I have," replied the blonde genius. The two were walking through the corridors beneath Cheyenne Mountain.

"Which is why I'm going to go home, watch some Simpsons, and crash." He expected he would have more than a couple of beers before crashing, but that was beside the point.

Sam smiled tiredly. "Just let me shut down the experiment in my lab and I'll leave."

"All right," he agreed. "Just don't..." *vooosh*

Sam looked to where Jack had disappeared in the flash of an Asgard transporter.

"Typical," she said as she headed back to her lab to shut down the naquadah generator.

O'Neill appeared on board an Asgard vessel in orbit. "...stay too long." There was a pause, then O'Neill looked over at the figure standing nearby. "Thor? Is that you?"

"Indeed, O'Neill," replied Thor.

Jack looked at the now much-taller Asgard, who was not only wearing clothes, but appeared to have gained facial features, including a nose and ears. The gray skin and enlarged skull were the same, though. "You look different. Have you been working out?"

"We have managed to resolve the problems we were having with our cloning process, thanks to some new allies referred to us by Daniel Jackson," explained Thor.

O'Neill turned serious. "Have you seen Daniel recently?" He had been missing since the showdown with Anubis.

"Daniel Jackson was well when last we spoke. I expect you will be hearing from him shortly. However, I have a message for your superiors from the Asgard High Council."

Jack was happy to hear that Danny was alive, but a message from the Asgard leadership was a big deal. "What can Earth do to help the Asgard?"

"It is actually we who would like to help you," said Thor. "The High Council has reconsidered certain issues and would like to show its appreciation to Earth for its help in the past."

"Well, I would be lying if I said we couldn't use the help," said O'Neill. Anubis was still a threat, not to mention the rest of the Goa'uld. Maybe he could finally get his big honking space guns?

"The Asgard High Council has decided that the Protected Planets Treaty has outlived its usefulness. We have decided to share our technology with Earth."

That was surprising, to say the least. "Well, thank you. What exactly are we talking about here? Ray guns? Shields? Transporters?"

Thor blinked at him. "We will be providing you with our complete knowledge base, along with advisers to help you understand the underlying science and uplift your society. There is, however, a condition."

O'Neill wasn't sure what kind of condition would apply to receiving all their technology, but he was expecting it to be a doozy. "And that would be...?"

"The High Council is concerned by the fact that the majority of your population is still ignorant of the existence of extraterrestrial life and the Stargate Program. The condition for receiving our aid is full public disclosure," said Thor.

Jack's eyes grew wide. "Oooh, boy..."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Anubis watched as the fifth and last of Moloc's ha'taks exploded. This world would be the third taken from the rival Goa'uld in as many days. It was almost too easy, and Moloc was such a harsh task master that many of his Jaffa were happy to switch sides when captured. Anubis wanted to finish this off quickly so he could refocus his attention on the Tau'ri. The humans of the first world were proving to be far more resourceful than expected, and had already proven to be a thorn in his side -- more so than any of the so-called System Lords. Of course, the Tau'ri had already killed Ra, Sokar, and a number of other potential rivals. This was both convenient and yet another reason why they needed to be exterminated.

"I have to say, despite being partially ascended, you still seem to have the same gaudy taste in decorating as the rest of the Goa'uld," said a voice from behind Anubis's throne.

Anubis spun around to look at the intruder, while the Jaffa on the pel'tak leveled their staff weapons. The being standing there was reptilian, but not Unas, Serrakin, or any of the other known races. It may have had some type of natural stealth like the Re'tu, though, because Anubis hadn't sensed its presence until it had spoken. "Who are you?" he asked in a dark tone.

"My name is Saurial," replied the apparently female lizard. "I'm afraid I'm here because you have been making a nuisance of yourself, and that has to stop." Saurial shook her finger at the System Lord like she was chastising a child.

Anubis was annoyed. "Kill her," he commanded. The Jaffa began firing, bolts of plasma crossing the room from multiple directions. The lizard girl made no effort to dodge or defend herself. As far as the partially-ascended Goa'uld could tell, his Jaffa might as well have been tossing pebbles for all the effect it was having. It didn't really matter whether the shots hit armor or skin, the creature continued to stand there as if bored by the whole thing.

His First Prime must have come to the same conclusion, as he shouted, "Hol mel!" When the other Jaffa stopped firing, he charged in, using his ma'tok as a melee weapon. The lizard girl moved quickly. Anubis's First Prime was soon unconscious. The intruder then quickly and easily disabled the rest of the Jaffa on the bridge before turning back to Anubis with a smirk.

His annoyance turned to rage at this affront. "You WILL kneel before your god!"

Saurial twitched an eyebrow. "Won't."

Anubis began to gather energy to attack, when the lizard dropped a box at his feet. It was painted with black and yellow stripes -- clearly some kind of warning label. The Goa'uld started to ignore the distraction, but suddenly the box began to glow. Anubis suddenly felt an iron grip grab hold of him and start pulling him down.

Saurial watched as the half-ascended monster was sucked down into the trap. She had to admit, the paint was a nice touch. She would have to convey her appreciation to Leet. She activated her communicator. {I'm all done over here. Do you know how to turn on the evacuation alarm?}

{Daniel explained it to me.} Metis walked Saurial through the process via communicator. Luckily, almost every Goa'uld ship used a standard set of controls. That limited the amount of training required of the relatively poorly-educated Jaffa. The alert to evacuate required Anubis's personal authorization, but that wasn't much of an obstacle to somebody with Metis' skills. It helped that Anubis wasn't terribly imaginative.

Saurial beamed back to the Ship of Fools with her new pocket monster. She doubted that she would be choosing Anubis anytime soon. The crew then watched as Jaffa fled the ship in gliders, tel'tak, and al'kesh. Once the massive ship was empty of life signs, a single disintegration torpedo took out Anubis' super-weapon, which in turn caused the rest of the command ship to explode.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Ba'al woke up to find himself lying in the dirt. That was his first clue that something was very, very wrong. His last memory was retiring to his quarters on a ha'tak heading toward Tartarus, where Anubis had a lab producing a new super-solider. He examined himself. His host was uninjured, and he still had his hara'kesh, so things weren't dire, yet. He appeared to be in a clearing in the kind of forest common throughout the Stargate network.

"Ba'al!" said a familiar and hated voice. "They got you, too?"

Ba'al looked over toward the voice. The Goa'uld standing there was dressed in disheveled Celtic armor, and appeared to have streaks of blood on his clothes from healed injuries. "Camulus," said Baal, "do I have you to thank for bringing me...wherever we are?" Ba'al readied himself to dodge an attack from his rival.

The former Celtic god laughed quietly but strongly, with more than a twinge of madness. "Heh, you always did have a sense of humor, Ba'al. Too bad you were always such a ha'taaka. I didn't bring you here. I didn't even bring myself here."

Ba'al frowned. If Camulus was telling the truth, then somebody else had stranded them together on this planet. Was the goal to get them to kill each other? That seemed...excessively convoluted, given that he had been unconscious long enough to be kidnapped from his ship and brought here. Why not just kill him while he was at his kidnapper's mercy? "So what do you suggest? Do we declare a temporary truce?"

To Ba'al's discomfort, Camulus actually giggled. "Truce? Sure, why not? It won't matter once the hunters come for you, though. I had a truce with Morrigan, too, and I saw them take her, along with her host's skull and spine."

"Morrigan was here, too?" Morrigan had disappeared two weeks ago, which had caused some chaos in the ranks of Lord Yu's alliance.

"I saw that bastard Moloc, too, though only from a distance." Camulus started darting his eyes back and forth as he spoke. He appeared to be looking for something.

"What's wrong?" asked Baal.

Camulus froze, then looked Baal straight in the eye and said, "Run." Before Ba'al could respond or react, the other Goa'uld took off running from the clearing they were in.

"He must be crazy," Ba'al muttered to himself. Just to be safe, he triggered the personal shield on his hara'kesh. As he was pondering what to do, he was startled when a bolt of plasma flared against his shield. He quickly dove behind one of the thicker trees as a second bolt screamed past, barely missing him.

Ba'al listened carefully for his attacker as he crouched down behind the thick tree. He could hear something heavy moving through the brush on the other side of the clearing. His eyes widened as a figure in the clearing disengaged a personal cloaking field. The being was tall and covered in an advanced-looking set of armor. The helmet was surrounded by what looked to be tentacles, and there was a weapon mount on the creatures shoulder with what appeared to be a plasma cannon. That would explain the shots that hit Ba'al's shield. In his hand, the creature held what appeared to be some type of metal spear. That was a bit of a concern, as the weapon quite likely would be slow enough to go through a Goa'uld personal shield.

The creature stopped moving. It deliberately turned and stared directly at Ba'al. At that moment, the former System Lord decided discretion was the better part of valor and ran off in the same direction as Camulus. If nothing else, maybe he could get the creature to go after the other Goa'uld, instead.

The Yautja gave the new prey a head start, pleased that this one would provide at least a little sport.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"It seems a little harsh, just stranding them to be hunted like animals." Miles was watching the Yautja ship in orbit over one of the species' hunting reserves.

"Most of the Goa'uld have a standing death sentence with both the Tok'ra and the Asgard. They are guilty of human experimentation, genocide, mass murder, kidnapping on a massive scale, literal body snatching, torture...there isn't a crime they haven't committed," countered Saurial. Keeping the Yautja distracted by having them hunt down Goa'uld was just an added benefit. While Varga had come up with the idea, Taylor had approved, and even Danny couldn't argue against it after hearing how monstrous the body-snatching aliens actually were. The TV show presented a highly sanitized view for prime time.

"Ba'al once murdered sixty million of his own subjects in two star systems rather than let them be taken over by a rival named Sokar. He captured my commanding officer and repeatedly tortured him to death, reviving him in a sarcophagus each time so he could do it all over again. He was trying to get information Jack probably didn't even have. And Ba'al was actually one of the nicer Goa'ulds. Moloc, for example, ordered that only male Jaffa children were worthy of living, and had any baby girls burned alive as a sacrifice." Daniel was uncharacteristically bloodthirsty when it came to the Goa'uld, though not without reason.

Miles considered his own daughter, Molly. Then he remembered his experiences at the hands of the Cardassians. "Right then, where are we going now?"

"We need to head to Chulak and let the Free Jaffa know about Ba'al's disappearance," said Saurial. Somebody had to step into the power vacuum left by the vanishing Goa'uld. They were leaving Lord Yu's domain alone for now, as it was pretty much already being run by his Lo'taur and Jaffa. It was up to the Free Jaffa, and to a lesser extent, the Asgard, to fill the power vacuum in other parts of the galaxy, with a few nudges here and there from the Family. Hopefully, Earth would be able to ramp up quickly once they accepted disclosure and all of the scientific and technological benefits promised.

With any luck, if the Ori did eventually show up, then they would find a set of allies willing and able to push them out and take the fight back to the Ori's home galaxy.

Last edited:
Really nice chapter. Wish someone would write a good disclosure fic for stargate though. Not a small task I know, just handling the society shifts is a book by itself, if not multiple.

Pokeballs for Ascended beings... Huh.

Did anyone else the Easter Eggs that was in there? I did.

Letting the Ascended speak first and letting their mouths run, before making them regret a lot of the decisions they've made since their Ascension and learning about mortality again since it's been a long time since they were corporeal.

Even better fate for the Goa'uld, while also giving the Yuatja something to do other than going to Earth or kidnapping humans to hunt.

But the punishment for Anubis was just hilarious. But L33t did it first with the Siberian in It Gets Worse.

Last edited:
Just a nit, but shouldn't this O'Neill be spelled with 2 "l"s? The one with 1 "l" was the serious one played by Kurt Russell, while I'm guessing you're thinking of the one played by Macgyver.

Full disclosure would be hard at this point as you have the Wormhole extreme show that people would say it is just promoting a new season.

First you would need to tell the world leaders not in on the secret and that is a fun can of worms of "we have been fighting a war with a race that can glass the planet without telling you". Then need a secure location for it as inside a joint US and Canada base is not a place you want it when every world leader will want access.

The only good news about the requirement is no longer need to hide the tech so can quickly swap to cleaner power production

SG1 didn't like full disclosure, because full disclosure might mean actually following some rules and stop making more enemies. They should have left teachers for the really stone age planets of our brothers, and stop doing stupid shit like telling people where they come from.

Just before blowing ships up. And send Daniel home and make him stay there teaching classes on first contact.
The military aren't gonna wanna give the tech stealing up.

Full disclosure would be hard at this point as you have the Wormhole extreme show that people would say it is just promoting a new season.

No mere TV studio would have the ludicrous amounts of money it would take to get a presidential press conference, though.

The military aren't gonna wanna give the tech stealing up.
That's why the current ploy is such a brilliant one. Their reward is all the space guns. I mean sure they could hold out and hope they can nick something better, but is there really actually going to be better than the entire Asgard tech base, complete with teachers?

First you would need to tell the world leaders not in on the secret and that is a fun can of worms of "we have been fighting a war with a race that can glass the planet without telling you". Then need a secure location for it as inside a joint US and Canada base is not a place you want it when every world leader will want access.

The only good news about the requirement is no longer need to hide the tech so can quickly swap to cleaner power production
In order.
Having the UN Security Council permanent members tell the world that 'Aliens are a thing and there's been a war on for several years now guys. Good news, we haven't lost yet!' should be fairly convincing. (Daniel Jackson descends at the end of season 6, which a wiki check says was after the IOC (US, Russia, Great Britan, China and France are all in on it, plus a few others more minor partners like Canada) gets started.)

Yes, people are going to be cranky about this. Delaying is not going to make it better, so someone is going to have to take the hit. Henry Hayes (about to take office) may be willing to take the hit, especially if his VP Kinsey gets turfed at the same time. As far as I recall nobody who actually had to work with him actually liked Kinsey. Maybe some incriminating documents get leaked? Lots of options here.

Remarkably, BBFO specializes in all sorts of things. Including massive indestructible construction techniques. I, for one, would be interested in securing the Earth gate by putting it in a spacial warp so large that the galactic drift calcs were no longer accurate. That would be hilarious.
They should have left teachers for the really stone age planets of our brothers, and stop doing stupid shit like telling people where they come from.
Issues with exploiting the natives and how cultural uplifts should be conducted are touchy subjects. Way to easy to slide into colonial thought patterns and that heads readily into lose your hat territory. I'm not sure that even the Family can fix this one easily.
That's why the current ploy is such a brilliant one. Their reward is all the space guns. I mean sure they could hold out and hope they can nick something better, but is there really actually going to be better than the entire Asgard tech base, complete with teachers?
And thank goodness for at least one problem mostly short-circuited.

Cleaner power production is just the tip of the iceberg as there are probably a fair few smaller governments that would like an uninhabited planet to take over and stop constantly fighting for their own survival Israel comes to mind. And with access to Asgardian Technology making a planet livable or even a paradise wouldn't be to difficult. Also revealing a universal enemy might be the one thing that that can get our society to shape up and stop killing each other though I'm not particularly hopeful.

Back