Ship of Fools: A Taylor Varga Omake (Complete)

Thank you for the latest entries in your story. It is interesting to see how TV is able to resolve problems. I want to see how they help Ellen's Universe.

Because if it wasn't set in a sterile hell, its overpowered bodysnatching would've eaten the world in three weeks.

But no, if you want Tribbles that work like Goa'uld, you should watch the 90's movie 'The Puppet Masters' based on Heinlein's book. It's free on the yootoobz I think. It even has a Keith David!
I haven't seen the movie, and I'm guessing no one else should. Read the book. 1000000x better.

Thank you for your sacrifice.

Didn't vanDoofus(director) boast about having NOT read the book?

Wouldn't surprise me; I read the book a dozen times or more, so when the movie came out I saw it. No power armour, no social commentary, none of what made the book one of Heinlein's better offerings. I was so disappointed that I never again read or watched anything about the movie.

Wouldn't surprise me; I read the book a dozen times or more, so when the movie came out I saw it. No power armour, no social commentary, none of what made the book one of Heinlein's better offerings. I was so disappointed that I never again read or watched anything about the movie.
Don't forget the moronic lack of strategy and tactics.

"DWU is really strict about OSHA standards. You should ask Danny to show you the video of Kaiju moving the ship. It's pretty fucking funny." She had been drugged up when it happened, but she had seen the videos after the fact. The giant hardhat and safety buoys were hysterically funny.
Damn it, now I'm going to have to hunt through Taylor Varga because I can't remember which chapter that happened in, just so I can read the hilarity again.
:p

He also had no problem believing Angel could be self-centered and idiotic enough to destroy everyone around him, send L.A. to hell, and ultimately end magic itself.
Technically, that was Buffy, and Twilight didn't exactly help.

Thank you for your sacrifice.

Didn't vanDoofus(director) boast about having NOT read the book?

The screenplay was apparently 80% written when they bought the rights to the book. The only thing they changed was names, including the name of the movie.

Ginny was reported to have said 'Take my husband's name off of that.'

The implication from the quote was that being the roommate of a relative of Lone Starr's was the only connection between them. And that the two had never met before. Watching the clip again makes this absolutely clear.
While that scene gives that impression, an earlier scene shows that Helmet has probably encountered Lone Starr before. Specifically, the jamming scene. 'Only one man would dare give me the raspberry...Lone Starr!' So, between a scene showing some familiarity going one way, and a later scene denying it, which would be the more accurate? It could be that the earlier scene just draws on Lone Starr's reputation, or the latter scene draws on Lone Starr forgetting about his college roommate (or his relative's roommate) who he may have inadvertently caused a lot of problems...possibly involving raspberry jam.

Saurial smiled and shook her head. "Nothing crazy, just changes. Most people won't care as long as the ship works and gets them where they need to go. There's no reason to nitpick over the details."

He chuckled. "Just don't post them on PHO."

She looked at him askance. "What, do you think I'm crazy?" The idea of somebody like Void Cowboy arguing about the details of an actual spaceship was nightmare-inducing.
That's right, Saurial is unlikely to post those things to PHO. Uber, L33T, Amy, or Lisa, on the other claw....

While he hates Angel as a vampire, a stalker of Buffy, and a broody idiot, IIRC he would acknowledge Angel's successes.

OK...here is a trigger warning. I'm about to rant about Angel. Most specifically, I'm going to rant about the writing of the character, both in the show and in the follow-on comics.

First, season 5 was predicated on Angel a) buying the fact that Wolfram & Hart would keep their side of the bargain, b) buying the fact that wiping his son's memories and adopting him out to a couple who lived within driving distance was the best way to keep him safe, and c) trusting that his friends would be fine working for the firm. The end result of that was Wesley dead, Gunn turned, Fred annihilated down to her soul to give birth to Illyria, Cordelia dying while still in a coma, and L.A. transported into Hell.

The Season 8 comics basically depended upon Angel buying the fact that the slayers were going to cause an apocalypse -- something TWILIGHT basically talked him into. Once he had facilitated the apocalypse, he basically was going to stay in his new dimension while the rest of the world burned.

Angel is written like this in a few cases during the shows. He knocked up Darla as part of a W&H plot. He was ready to kill himself because the First Evil was tormenting him. The dude is seemingly willing to believe anybody evil who came along and told a good story.

Except...sometimes he's NOT like that. He can be clever to the level you would expect of a Master Vampire when they choose to write him that way. They frequently don't.

So, as I read the character of Angel -- he was a drunken sot with a pretty face who got turned into a particularly vicious blood demon. His soul was shoved back in his body and he wallows for decades. Then the PTB's decide to use him, and they dangle...a young pretty girl in front of him, and promise him salvation. It's almost like Liam was a waste of space who happened to learn some useful things from the blood demon in his corpse. Like, his personality was actually improved by becoming a vampire...kind of like Harmony Kendall, now that I think about it.

I'm surprised Harmony didn't turn into a champion of the PTB's in Mel Fray's time.

I'm sure Amy and/or Ianthe could do something about the problematic reproduction of tribbles. Though she might become inspired. :evil:

I'm looking forward to when the SoF crew meet the Gorn.

Gorn Warrior: Have eggs for me.

Saurial: i do like eggs. Wait! Um, we're not that kind of lizard...

Gorn Warrior: ALL OF THE EGGS.

Varga: *snerk*

Metis: BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

"Do you have any other ideas for new bugs?"
Hope Comes to Brockton Bay by @Ack had Amy make better bugs for costume manufacture. Better silk, non-Newtonian fluid producers, water repellent chemical producers, a dragonfly analog that could carry Taylor, assorted drug dispensing wasp types with useful combat chemicals like sedatives, all capable of physically reproducing, but with no instincts to do so. They would only do so when ordered to by Taylor.

They could make Taylor an insectile version of Ianthe and Metis, complete with EDM ectoskeleton. She can get inside and drive it directly, or she could puppet it like she does her swarm-clones. They could load that sucker up with tons of biological goodies, from the mantis shrimp's ability to see large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum to the pistol shrimp's water cavitation-firing claws that heat up hotter than the surface of the sun. They could even make it shapeshift in ways similar to Linda, though with sliding plates instead of a shifting internal skeleton. Poisons, paralytics, symbiote production, stingers, claws, wings, sonic/acid/electrical/napalm/liquid nitrogen attacks, chameleon stealth systems, and so on and so on. The natural world is absolutely insane with the breadth of biological adaptations it's capable of.

They could also give her a few decoy drones to puppet that look just like her, so she has several bodies available to send into danger instead of herself -- that also act as relays to control more bugs in their vicinities.

Last edited:
This part broke my sense of disbelief though. An internet forum would never spend time arguing about details of a spaceship, fictional or not. :whistle:

*looks back through various threads here and on SB I post on*

Did you take your meds today? Because clearly you're not thinking strait.

I haven't seen the movie, and I'm guessing no one else should. Read the book. 1000000x better.

Well, I've read the books and watched the movies for both The Puppet Masters and Starship Troopers. And to be honest, Starship Troopers came closer to the source material IMO. Then again, if they made The Puppet Masters even 75% faithful to the book it'd have been rated XXX.

better bugs for costume manufacture

The Amy can do one better. Better bugs FOR the costume. Instead of a lizard suit, imagine a nine foot tall golden beetle goddess. Flight by elegant wings tucked behind the mirror smooth elytron, with maybe an anti-grav unit tossed in by Dragon or Leet. Toss in the brain booster pack to boost Taylor's range. You could name her Khepri.

...Looks at
They could make Taylor an insectile version of Ianthe and Metis, complete with EDM ectoskeleton.
...god damnit, I was typing here. Imp'ed, I guess. :p

Because if it wasn't set in a sterile hell, its overpowered bodysnatching would've eaten the world in three weeks.

But no, if you want Tribbles that work like Goa'uld, you should watch the 90's movie 'The Puppet Masters' based on Heinlein's book. It's free on the yootoobz I think. It even has a Keith David!

Ha, that film only has the name of the book and the flimsiest association with it's plot. Nothing like the book at all. It's the same with the other films based on his books and why he only allowed the one film to be made while he was alive. I would not recommend the film at all, no matter who is in it.

The book is 1000% better than the film.

Regards Brad

Last edited:
They could introduce her new larger form as another friend of the Family. How many insectile races exist in Lovecraftian horror, again? :-3

They could make Taylor an insectile version of Ianthe and Metis, complete with EDM ectoskeleton. She can get inside and drive it directly, or she could puppet it like she does her swarm-clones. They could load that sucker up with tons of biological goodies, from the mantis shrimp's ability to see large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum to the pistol shrimp's water cavitation-firing claws that heat up hotter than the surface of the sun. They could even make it shapeshift in ways similar to Linda, though with sliding plates instead of a shifting internal skeleton. Poisons, paralytics, symbiote production, stingers, claws, wings, sonic/acid/electrical/liquid nitrogen attacks, chameleon stealth systems, and so on and so on. The natural world is absolutely insane with the breadth of biological adaptations it's capable of.

They could also give her a few decoy drones to puppet that look just like her, so she has several bodies available to send into danger instead of herself -- that also act as relays to control more bugs in their vicinities.
IIRC, Tale of Transmigration (FFnet) is also a good source of insect bio-tools.
And Legion.

Both on at least hiatus, if not dead. :sad:

Like from Heredity?

Well, I've read the books and watched the movies for both The Puppet Masters and Starship Troopers. And to be honest, Starship Troopers came closer to the source material IMO. Then again, if they made The Puppet Masters even 75% faithful to the book it'd have been rated XXX.

Are you referring to Schedule Sun-Tan? Or just Heinlein's usual "casual sex" societal stuff?

Last edited:
By the time Taylor(S) makes it back to her home dimension, not only will her genetic code be spliced/augmented by several super-humans from around the multi-verse, but she'll also be sporting a new partner in the form of a bio-robot Insecticon that can act as both a mount and a set of armor....

Back