Ship of Fools: A Taylor Varga Omake (Complete)

By the time Taylor(S) makes it back to her home dimension, not only will her genetic code be spliced/augmented by several super-humans from around the multi-verse, but she'll also be sporting a new partner in the form of a bio-robot Insecticon that can act as both a mount and a set of armor....

...and under the wings here is a dimensional pouch to the demiplane of escalation. Open it up, and thousands of mini-Khepris swarm out.

I really liked that fic. I liked the attitude Taylor displays to Armsmaster, and the way she leverages her multitasking to basically learn all she can about tons of stuff. It was also one of the better Amy/Taylor relationships, at least in the sense of showing a growing relationship rather than, "oh, there is an attractive person...now I am in a relationship. hooray!"

I really liked that fic. I liked the attitude Taylor displays to Armsmaster, and the way she leverages her multitasking to basically learn all she can about tons of stuff. It was also one of the better Amy/Taylor relationships, at least in the sense of showing a growing relationship rather than, "oh, there is an attractive person...now I am in a relationship. hooray!"
Didn't Taylor Varga, the story this omake is based on, essentially have Amy pull Taylor into a closet the first time they met? That's a great way to show a growing relationship. ;)

Well, I've read the books and watched the movies for both The Puppet Masters and Starship Troopers. And to be honest, Starship Troopers came closer to the source material IMO. Then again, if they made The Puppet Masters even 75% faithful to the book it'd have been rated XXX.

Keith Phipps wrote a review of the book for the AV Club back in 2010. My favorite quote:

Heinlein is easy to mock. Seriously, this is a piece of anti-communist, pro-nudism science fiction in which the main character narrates as if in the grips of a perpetual hard-on. But The Puppet Masters is also completely gripping, compellingly written, and filed with big, crazy ideas that would influence many other writers, if only because they wanted to rebel against them.
Heinlein is one of those guys who writes stuff that somehow percolates through the entire pop culture noosphere in a way that prompts recognition when you least expect it.

Didn't Taylor Varga, the story this omake is based on, essentially have Amy pull Taylor into a closet the first time they met? That's a great way to show a growing relationship. ;)

You have it backwards. For Amy and Taylor to have that kind of a relationship, they would have to come OUT of the closet.

Having said that -- perfectly happy to have T/V focus on trolling in favor of romance.

Are you referring to Schedule Sun-Tan? Or just Heinlein's usual "casual sex" societal stuff?

Yes...

I can't actually recall what the law was called but everyone ended up having to be nudists or wearing next to nothing unless it was a requirement for a job (PPE for the win. Working at a foundry while naked would not be fun!).

Heinlein did write a fair few books that didn't include casual sex or nudity but they are more the exception rather than the rule.

Yes...

I can't actually recall what the law was called but everyone ended up having to be nudists or wearing next to nothing unless it was a requirement for a job (PPE for the win. Working at a foundry while naked would not be fun!).

Heinlein did write a fair few books that didn't include casual sex or nudity but they are more the exception rather than the rule.

IIRC, Schedule Sun-Tan was about swimsuit level. Skin baring, or skin-tight. But some people just went all the way to nudity. Protective clothing for jobs was excepted if only worn AT work.

You have it backwards. For Amy and Taylor to have that kind of a relationship, they would have to come OUT of the closet.

Having said that -- perfectly happy to have T/V focus on trolling in favor of romance.

But for them to come out of the closet, they have to go into it at some stage.
Although when Amy dragged Taylor into the closet it would be more like a bit of S&M rather than making out considering the actions taken while in there...

I agree about the trolling though.

Are you referring to Schedule Sun-Tan? Or just Heinlein's usual "casual sex" societal stuff?

In the book to try preventing the alien slug things from taking people over everyone eventually has to go around naked. Since the book takes place over several years, and the "cloths aren't allowed" law gets put into place early on? Yeah, how is it nobody ended up dying of hypothermia, frostbite, and other weather related issues? Oh, and it still didn't work. The slugs began hiding themselves via the use under allowed things like purses.

EDIT: Oh, and the casual sex at moments notice parts.

Saurial will easily defeat the Gorn, probably by fashioning some type of primitive lathe.
I will remind you of a certain poster on the wall of the BBFO offices; Saurial, with a sword in each hand and an EDM thagomizer on her tail, under which is the caption, "Try Me."
They could make Taylor an insectile version of Ianthe and Metis, complete with EDM ectoskeleton. She can get inside and drive it directly, or she could puppet it like she does her swarm-clones. They could load that sucker up with tons of biological goodies, from the mantis shrimp's ability to see large portions of the electromagnetic spectrum to the pistol shrimp's water cavitation-firing claws that heat up hotter than the surface of the sun.
Sounds like the armor Skitter wore to Canberra in A Tale of Transmigration (which was linked on the previous page).

Well, I've read the books and watched the movies for both The Puppet Masters and Starship Troopers. And to be honest, Starship Troopers came closer to the source material IMO. Then again, if they made The Puppet Masters even 75% faithful to the book it'd have been rated XXX.

I'll grant that Starship Troopers was closer to the source than Puppet Masters, but I still maintain that Verhoeven read the blurb on the back of a paperback copy and said, "Meh. Close enough."

I've had the night to think on it... I came up with another possible insect theme robots for Taylor to take home with her :D

And just in case that video clip didn't come through, here's a Link.

I'll grant that Starship Troopers was closer to the source than Puppet Masters, but I still maintain that Verhoeven read the blurb on the back of a paperback copy and said, "Meh. Close enough."

I agree with you there. The movie comes across as a PR Promotional/Recruitment drive with bits of the story thrown in every so often. Thus it leaves out many of the important elements from the book. Such as the social commentary. Heck, the movie never mentions that the main reason people join the armed forces is because you aren't considered a citizen until after your term of service. The war against the 'bugs' is merely a backdrop for the story of Rico's growing up and becoming a better person. the movie treats that war like it's the main substance of the story.

I agree with you there. The movie comes across as a PR Promotional/Recruitment drive with bits of the story thrown in every so often. Thus it leaves out many of the important elements from the book. Such as the social commentary. Heck, the movie never mentions that the main reason people join the armed forces is because you aren't considered a citizen until after your term of service. The war against the 'bugs' is merely a backdrop for the story of Rico's growing up and becoming a better person. the movie treats that war like it's the main substance of the story.
If I remember right, the citizenship thing was mentioned, but it was kind of a throwaway thing. Pretty sure it was the 'why did you join up' conversation in the shower room. Things like wanting to be a citizen because it was easier to get permission to have a kid that way.

I saw the movie before reading the book, but when I did read the book, one point that came up that made me think 'I really wish that point had been in the movie, too' was having his dad end up joining up and serving under him later on. Thought it was an interesting little twist in relationships.

In all fairness to Verhoeven, he does have a very good reason to have departed radically from the plot of the book; Starship Troopers started out as an entirely unrelated movie satirizing military sci-fi and militarism in general. They only went and got the license after somebody pointed out the surface level similarities.

In all fairness to Verhoeven, he does have a very good reason to have departed radically from the plot of the book; Starship Troopers started out as an entirely unrelated movie satirizing military sci-fi and militarism in general. They only went and got the license after somebody pointed out the surface level similarities.
That somebody should be slapped. HARD.

Slapping someone with a chainsaw is likely to get you arrested. No, for maximum impact and humiliation, use a wet fish. Maybe a fluke, or another type after using a paper punch on it's fins. That way you can slap someone with a holey carp.

Slapping someone with a chainsaw is likely to get you arrested. No, for maximum impact and humiliation, use a wet fish. Maybe a fluke, or another type after using a paper punch on it's fins. That way you can slap someone with a holey carp.
Holey mackerels are my favored fish for this dish.

Blessed holy guacamole is an acceptable condiment for garnish, just for the halibut.

Last edited:
Exactly! One of the two scenes from the movie that just completely pissed me off was when Clancy Brown's character pinned a guys hand to the wall with a knife. It utterly shat upon the actual scene from the book that explained in a calm, logical method why the troopers carried knives.

The other scene was, of course, where the troopers fired full auto (1st) into a bug while completely encircling it (2nd).

I was serving in the Air Force at the time and saw the movie on base. Almost half the theater got up and walked out at that point.

Back