Magical Girl Escalation Taylor (Worm/Nanoha)

Since an Iron Defender is at its core a machine, can it be stored within a Device's internal dimension (no need for air, water, or food)?
It could, but only in its "pet form".
Could a skilled magiengineer work on an Iron Defender to reconfigure the body (either the original machine or the war form) to accept additional tech? To go with the Roomba idea, a blade or a rocket booster perhaps?
It would require either a high-leveled Gadgeteer or someone with Heavy Plate/Reinforcement and a modification-tier skill to enhance robots.
Would they be immune or resistant to spells such as Purple Haze or Physical Heal which rely on biological factors, or ones which target "living things" like Diabolic Emission or Mistilteinn?
They are in a weird state of quasi-life, so the effect would be unpredictable.

Realign 14.17
[] Bone of the Father, part 3 – The view you got of the Wolfheads' cape was far too familiar to powers of the Empire for your tastes. Take the rest of the Arcana on a wolf hunt.

Realign 14.17

Tuesday, August 21

"Mistress? Communication from Laura."

You look up from your trigonometry homework. There was something interesting about triangles and angles, something that you attribute to the last seven months being a one-woman aerial bomber. Still, a call from Laura of all people is even more interesting. She does not normally initiate contact like this. A text is one thing, but a call is something else entirely. "Weird. Bring it up."

The screen appears, showing the side of Laura's head. You silently ask yourself what help Laura's ear apparently could need when the girl in question turns her head back to you. "Hey," she whispers, "you got a minute? I heard some stuff out listening in on Jotunn, and I figured this was something you wanted to know."

That catches you by surprise, and not a pleasant one either. "I thought you said you quit Winter Hill?" you ask in a hard tone.

"I did!" she hisses back. "But just because I quit doesn't mean I forgot where they meet. They're even okay with me popping in every now and again because 'some awful Trump took away all my powers and now I'm useless'." The last bit she says in a fake whine. "That's not the point, and it definitely helped out now. Some of the street guys say they spotted a bunch of new capes hanging around a few specific blocks in Kensington."

"Okay? And that matters because…?"

"One other detail they found out when somebody got close enough," Laura replies with narrowed eyes and a small smirk. "Some of those capes apparently had strong German accents, and another one was a fat kid made of metal."

A fat kid made of metal? You sit up straighter and give her your full and undivided attention. "That sounds like the guy I saw when Sam and I looked into a Wolfhead drug lab. If it's the same guy and the Wolfheads are a bunch of Empire survivors, that means they might be in contact with white supremacist groups in Europe."

You cannot remember all the details you once read on PHO, but you remember that there were rumors floating around that a bunch of these neo-Nazi groups were connected and shared capes, sending them wherever they were needed to oppress minorities or stand up to law enforcement. If that is the case, there is no telling how many capes the Wolfheads have at their disposal now or what their powers are.

"They were spotted along the riverfront," Laura continues now that you are focused on her. "I thought maybe we could head over and take a look at it. All five of us."

"Sounds like a good idea. I'll message Samantha and Missy. You get Kayleigh. We all head to Dragon's and then return as one group to Philly." Laura gives you a nod, but before she can close the window you add, "And Laura? That was good work. Just be careful if you're going to spy on your old team, okay? I don't want you getting hurt."

She does not appear to know what to say in response to that for several moments, but after a beat she shakes her head. "I don't plan on it. But… thanks."

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You reach out your hand, and three others meet you. In a whirl of light, all the human members of your team vanish and reappear on the top of a dilapidated building. To your left, the Delaware river flows almost sluggishly onwards to the southern part of the city. Standing to one side, Samantha melts out of the shadows and then out of her war form. It had been her idea to start casing the riverside blocks for any hints on her own while the rest of you assembled and made your way over. As she pointed out, she could transform into an innocent raccoon if she wished, and she was also always armed even without her weapons.

"Any luck so far?" you ask as you unseal her sword and toss it to her. She had not had much time to look around for the headquarters you suspect is there, only the few minutes it took everyone to teleport to the assembly plant, so you are not expecting any results, but who knows? Maybe she got lucky.

A shake of her head proves that is not the case. No surprise.

"What's the play?" Missy says, looking around at the various buildings. "Do we have any idea besides splitting up and searching building by building?"

"We could stick together and search building by building," answers Laura with an abundance of sarcasm.

Kayleigh raised her hand. "Hey, guys? Does anyone know what the capes we're looking for look like?"

"No," you tell her, "but I figured looking for people in costume would be a good place to start. Why do you ask?"

"Could it be them?"

You follow her pointing finger, and your eyes land on what have to be a dozen people flying through the sky. That is… concerning. You are okay with being a little outnumbered, but two to one or more are not great odds, especially when all your enemies can fly. That takes away one of your big advantages and puts Kayleigh at a disadvantage, even when you take into account the gravity-manipulating harness Tim built for her. It lets her have some degree of three-dimensional movement, but that is not the same as real flight—

Your eyes focus on the object in the lead flier's hand. Is that a staff of all things?

"Storm, try opening a channel to that group," you tell your Device after a moment.

"Wait, what are you doing?!" demands Missy.

A screen appears in front of you before you can answer, and you give a smile to the stony face that is shown. "Hello, agent," you tell the woman wearing a tactical helmet. Looks like your guess was on the money. Up in the sky, the group of figures slow to a stop. "Where are you headed?"

"That's confidential, Calamity Witch."

"Who the hell is that?" Laura whispers to nobody in particular.

You give the PRT mage a small grin. You think you know what is going on, and if you are right again, some villains are about to have a very bad day indeed. "Okay. I understand." The woman nods, and you continue, "I hope you don't mind if we fly around for a while. We got a lead that the Wolfheads might have either their main base or at least a secondary base here. A bunch of capes were spotted nearby. We'll stay out of your way, and you stay out of ours."

The woman closes her eyes and sighs through her nose before looking at you again. "Then it seems we are going after the same target." Your smile is guileless, not that she seems pleased about it. "Where are you? We'll come over and meet you."

"Look to your right." You raise your hand and wave, and it becomes obvious when they spot you because the screen vanishes and the group starts flying your way.

Three flashes of light come from behind you, and Laura all but orders, "You know who those people are. Mind sharing with the rest of us?"

You had planned on mentioning these allies of yours to the rest of the group at some point or another. Now is as good a time as any. "They are mages employed by the PRT. Legend asked me to help find any who were already working in the Philadelphia office. I taught all of them how to create Guardian Beasts, too, which immediately doubled their numbers."

"…Oh. Uh, how many mages did you find?"

Was that nervousness you just heard? A sign that Laura realizes how closely she came to being on the other end of this big and growing stick? A wicked smile crosses your face. "Oh, not many. Just three dozen or so."

"Three. Dozen?" she squeaks. "Okay."

"Why are you so nervous?" Missy asks, her mask distorting her voice.

You turn to look at them, but your gaze is immediately drawn to Kayleigh. When did she alter her Barrier Jacket?

Laura, or more properly Scathach, grimaces. "Before I joined up, when I was a cape, I… Some of the things I did weren't really on this side of the law, if you know what I mean?"

Missy nods. "I get it. Kind of what I figured about you, honestly. You're not the first villain Calamity's flipped, if what I heard was true."

The group of PRT mages have made their way over by now, and you rise into the air to greet them. "Nice to see all of you again," you tell them. The tails that are visible from some of the fliers wag slightly. "We know roughly where the Wolfheads were spotted. From the intelligence we have, they also have other capes in their employ who speak with thick German accents."

"Fucking Gesellschaft," a man with a red gauntlet mutters, to which a few other people nod.

"That is more information than we had," the lead agent admits. "It also makes things more complicated. We had only heard of four capes, but if they are borrowing capes from Europe, there is no telling how many they have on call." She raises her head and gives the rest of your group a nod. "You can call me Alpha. This is my partner, Rifle."

The PRT mages all introduce themselves and their Guardian Beasts, and Missy, Laura, and Kayleigh do the same. As soon as everyone knows who the others are, the other girls take to the air and start moving along the riverside. Kayleigh chooses to ride in Samantha's arms rather than float or fall sideways on her own, and you take the time to look over the changes in her outfit. In the simplest description, she seems to have flipped some of the colors around.

Her half-corset used to be a normal brown leather, but now it looks almost like shiny purple pleather though still cinched with white threads. The skirt is gone, replaced by heavy brown pants that disappear beneath white boots with black buttons running up the outsides. You also cannot help but notice that the heel is higher than it once was, now an actual high heel rather than the pump of her old combat boots. Both her guns are now visible, slotted into holsters that hang from the sides of her lopsided belt.

«Okay, I have to ask,» you tell her. «What made you change your outfit?»

She shrugs. «I figured if I could, why not? One of the comics we found had a character who dressed kind of like this, and she was a gunner too. Thought it would be fun to add some of those elements. It's not like I can't change back if I don't like it
Bonus points if you can guess what anime character she's based on. Shouldn't be hard.
It is hard to argue with that. The big thing about cape costumes is recognition, but you have a feeling Kayleigh will make herself stand out no matter what she is wearing. And if she is always running around with another member of the team, it makes it even easier. «Are you planning on changing your Jacket every few days, though?»

«Maybe, maybe not. Depends on if I get any ideas

It takes half an hour to track down the hideout. It turns out that one of the PRT mages knows Wide Area Search as well, but you both agree that using that will not necessarily be the best plan. You would find the gang faster, that is true, but you would also alert them to your presence and might spook the people who are just living their lives around here. Better to keep the element of surprise until you have a chance to take advantage of it.

In the end, though, you drift downwards to take a look through a grimy window of an old butcher shop. Unlike the warehouse that was really a drug den, this is a weapon storehouse. Crates are pressed against the walls, handguns and assault rifles and lots and lots of ammunition visible inside. There are a couple dozen of tough guys standing around as well, either looking at the weapons or stripping them down or doing something else. It looks like they are getting ready to go to war.

Then there are the capes. Two of them you immediately recognize. In the middle of the room moving around the groups of men is a youngish woman with close-cropped blonde hair and a mask that looks more like a cage. Small sickles are hanging from the sides of her belt. Cricket, one of the members of Empire Eighty-Eight.

Any doubts you might have had about the Wolfheads being an offshoot of the Empire are gone.

The other cape you know stands off to the side. It is the same pudgy boy made of metal who walked in on you while you were exploring the drug den. Leaning against the wall next to him is a statuesque woman dressed in black and blue plate armor, a Viking helmet with wings on the sides sitting atop her head. She is speaking, presumably to him, but from the way her head moves she is also keeping an eye on all the men. A man on the other side of the building drops one of the rifles, and she lifts her head to bark something at him. He immediately picks up the gun and puts it back in the crate with hurried movements.

"Looks like somebody's in charge, and somebody else is just playing at it," the middle-aged man with twin pistols mutters. Delta, you believe he introduced himself as. He points to the knight in blue. "She's the real boss, I bet."

"I bet you're right," Alpha answers. "Three capes doesn't seem like a whole lot, though—"

She cuts herself off when a door to the side opens, and a man in a dark coat with a mask like a cartoony skull covering the top half of his face comes out. He scurries over to the knight and leans close to mutter something to her before backing off. Cricket, you cannot help but notice, sees this but scowls rather than say anything.

"You mean four," Charlie says. "Four we know about, anyway. No telling how many they really have, or how many are even in this building."

"That's true." Alpha looks away from the building at all of you, then over her own team. "But I have a plan, one I think you girls can help out with."

This is going to be fun. You have a total of SIXTEEN combatants on your side going up against a group of capes of unknown number (you can SEE four, but are there more?) and mostly unknown powers. Because you probably still have overwhelming force, I'm not going to give you any OOC hints about what your enemies can do.

Anyway, this would be a good time for battle strategies. Some ideas are below. Add whatever further details you wish as subvotes.

• Law and order – Bust through the doors and give the dastardly villains a single opportunity to surrender. You can keep a subset of your mages in reserve for a pincer maneuver, but the majority are going to be immediately visible.
  • Surprise attack – You know these are villains. Don't waste words when you can fly through the windows and start shooting. Everyone will start fighting at the same time.
  • Sneaky sneak – You have Missy, and Operation Pentagram has Agent Charlie and Jeremy. Send the ninjas in first to strike from the shadows, and only once they are spotted should the rest of you head in.
AND, since this isn't a split second decision you're making in-character, out of character I'll give you a 24 HOUR moratorium to think on things.

The important part is taking out the capes right? Seems the safest play is encircling the building, pulling everyone into the overcity/mirror world (can't remember the actual name of the spell) then bombarding the building to flush them out.

On principle, I feel like Law & Order is the approach we should take, but I am tempted to also send sneaks. Thoughts on working with some combination of the two?

I think Law and Order has more chances to keep NotGolem alive.

Otherwise we end killing a kid or the government team does and we get the blame.

I think sneaky. Quick nonlethal takedowns.

I mean... They're nazi's... Automatically one of the worst forms of human scum in existence. They can have their chance to talk once they're unable to fight back.

I really like sneak attacks.

Oh! Oh! Do we get to yell "Sneak Attack!" whenever an opponent is put down covertly?

FUCK YEAH IT UPDATED!
I am so glad we got a new chapter. Thanks for the update Silently.

Last edited:
I would think some sneaky sneak to gather Intel first, make sure they know who else is in the rest of the building (since the last thing anyone wants is the German version of Lung or Cadejo to be in a broom closet without us knowing). Then after recon is complete, depending on what they find, do law/order with the PRT folks. When the Nazi's refuse, Arcana can live up to their rep for sudden, barely restrained violence and burst in with sudden attack from an unexpected angle.

I mean, if they are going to do things like blow up the Fallen from on high and drop their heads on a PRT desk, they might as well own that rep. Could come in handy down the line. To use a Fate reference, let them build a rep akin to The Magus Killer's. That would help clean up Philly right quick I bet.

You look up from your trigonometry homework. There was something interesting about triangles and angles, something that you attribute to the last seven months being a one-woman aerial bomber.
Triangulation is useful for aiming bullets, so this doesn't surprise me.
"I did!" she hisses back. "But just because I quit doesn't mean I forgot where they meet. They're even okay with me popping in every now and again because 'some awful Trump took away all my powers and now I'm useless'." The last bit she says in a fake whine.
Oh, thats smart. Laura can still gather info on Winter Hill.
It had been her idea to start casing the riverside blocks for any hints on her own while the rest of you assembled and made your way over.
I think a better word would be "patrolling" or "searching."
You follow her pointing finger, and your eyes land on what have to be a dozen people flying through the sky. That is… concerning. You are okay with being a little outnumbered, but two to one or more are not great odds, especially when all your enemies can fly. That takes away one of your big advantages and puts Kayleigh at a disadvantage, even when you take into account the gravity-manipulating harness Tim built for her. It lets her have some degree of three-dimensional movement, but that is not the same as real flight
Oh no. I hope this group is friendly.
A screen appears in front of you before you can answer, and you give a smile to the stony face that is shown. "Hello, agent," you tell the woman wearing a tactical helmet. Looks like your guess was on the money. Up in the sky, the group of figures slow to a stop. "Where are you headed?"
Oh. Right. I forgot about those guys.
Bonus points if you can guess what anime character she's based on. Shouldn't be hard.
I don't watch much anime these days, but Imma say Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail. Thats the best guess I have. Anyone else got something?
Cricket, one of the members of Empire Eighty-Eight.
For those of you who forgot, Cricket has enhanced reflexes, can use sonar pulses as a form of echolocation, and her sonar pulses can also incapacitate people.
The other cape you know stands off to the side. It is the same pudgy boy made of metal who walked in on you while you were exploring the drug den.
And that would be Theo. A breaker/brute who can grow in size, and take on the properties of substances he touches.
Leaning against the wall next to him is a statuesque woman dressed in black and blue plate armor, a Viking helmet with wings on the sides sitting atop her head.
I think its Menja or Fenja, but those two might have been killed earlier in-story. I don't remember. I want to say she's a brute, because of the armor. But, that is an assumption. We don't want to assume.
She cuts herself off when a door to the side opens, and a man in a dark coat with a mask like a cartoony skull covering the top half of his face comes out. He scurries over to the knight and leans close to mutter something to her before backing off.
Skull guy is possibly a Thinker. He said something to his boss, and he might have sensed our group. Lets call him Schadel for now. Its German for "skull," and sounds way better that "skull guy."

I think its Menja or Fenja, but those two might have been killed earlier in-story. I don't remember. I want to say she's a brute, because of the armor. But, that is an assumption. We don't want to assume.
The winged helmet would point to her being one of the two. Unless, of course, she's a successor to them, but I'm fairly certain the only familial link they had was as Kaiser's young cousins, so not much chance for second-gen capes with their powers.

Sneaky is right out the window, with cricket in there, someone who uses their aerokinesis like echolocation, you have no chance in that department.

Law and Order disagrees with me. If we are prepping for a fight, and if there guys are employed by Gesellschaft, they possibly cannot afford to surrender on pain of consequences of revealing secrets during an investigation. another reason not to do this is because going by the name, wolfs head implying hookwolf, who has escaped 'cage transports before and will be headed in another one if caught, could be there.

Surprise has my vote as long as they keep in mind they may get spotted before they manage to launch it.

No matter what our strategy ends up as, I think we should call the PRT/Protectorate just before our assault. They can send backup our way. The fight will probably be finished by the time they show up, and they can handle all the prisoners.

Hell, if we call in backup, we could have a hundred PRT agents, the police, and a few extra capes at our disposal. Although we would lose the element of surprise that way.

Also, maybe we could incorporate Temporal sludge of Crescendo into our plan?

Oh, thats smart. Laura can still gather info on Winter Hill.
I'm actually a bit worried at that. Didn't think of it after reading the chapter, but it brings to mind Taylors plan of infiltrating the Undersiders. My worry is both because real life undercover agents have a actual support structures around them and going undercover without a plan or a structure seems risky, hope they run any plan they have regarding that through Dragon, and I also worry because if the situation is a mirror of Taylor during the early Undersider days then Laura going undercover might mean that she has the same feelings of unworthiness that Taylor felt early on. Might be that she feels she has to atone for her past or do something extra to earn her spot on the team with the S class hero, which doesn't seem like a good mindset.

I think Law and Order has more chances to keep NotGolem alive.

Otherwise we end killing a kid or the government team does and we get the blame.
All of our allies have non-lethal attacks. That is not a concern. Also, Law and Order gives the enemy time to react. Even a few extra seconds of reaction time makes our job much harder.

The problem is that not all Capes get dragged into that while all mages will.
Maybe if we can somehow exclude some mages? Is that something we can do? Im a bit fuzzy on the details of Recursion Field.

If we can't exclude mages, then recursion is a Bad Idea. We don't want to leave enemy capes to their own devices. Although if we called in some heroes and non-mage PRT/police, we could drop into Recursion Field and let our comrades deal with the other Woofheads. However, if we need to wait for backup, that could tip our hand.

Hmmmm. If we can't exclude mages from Recursion Field, then probably shouldnt use it.

If we can exclude mages from it, then I propose that one group goes into the Recursion Field, and the second group acts in the real world to take down remaining capes/unpowered gang members.

I think sneaky. Quick nonlethal takedowns.

I mean... They're nazi's... Automatically one of the worst forms of human scum in existence. They can have their chance to talk once they're unable to fight back.
Cricket has enhanced hearing, as someone pointed out earlier. She might hear the ninjas coming. From the wiki...
Could also sense higher pitched sounds than normally possible for humans, such as the frequency that indicated Shatterbird was using her abilities.[11] It is possible she would be able to hear things like dog whistles as well.

And the Nazis probably have scouts and patrollers keeping an eye out for heroes. A group of flying mages is conspicuous, so they might already know we are here. The longer we stall, the more likely it is the Nazis spot us.

Surprise has a higher chance of working, as it gives the Nazis much less time to spot us and respond.
The PRT already has mages on site, remember? If they feel they need more backup, they'll likely call for it themselves.
You have a point, but I still feel that its a good idea.
Also, I mentally treat the PRT mages as capes. They are PRT mages, and the various interludes have shown that they think like PRT, not like capes. I will keep that in mind in the future. Thanks for pointing it out.
Edit: Clarified stuff, fixed grammar.

Last edited:
The problem is that not all Capes get dragged into that while all mages will.

This sounds like an opportunity rather than a problem to be honest. Pull X percent of their team into a barrier with the entirety of your team able to concentrate fire on them without fear of actually killing them or collateral damage?
What does that even look like for the ones that dont get pulled in? Do they see the barrier but can't interact? if they dont get at least that much they might not even realize what just happened before the other part of their team is down from the alpha strike.

Skull guy is possibly a Thinker. He said something to his boss, and he might have sensed our group. Lets call him Schadel for now. Its German for "skull," and sounds way better that "skull guy."
Red Skull?!? Motherfucker what are you doing off Vormir! Get back to atoning, asshole!

another reason not to do this is because going by the name, wolfs head implying hookwolf, who has escaped 'cage transports before and will be headed in another one if caught, could be there.
I am reasonably sure that Hookwolf was alongside Kaiser in the list of capes Calamity Witch melted back during the breakout. That or he was a casualty of Butcher!Lung. Either way I don't think Stabbypuppy managed to make it out of that arc intact and thus the gang name is more a tribute than a signifier.

That said, I'm favoring a sneaky+nonlethal blitz approach here. Just because we nuked the Fallen doesn't mean we have to apply that level of force all the time. Proportional force is a thing, magic is versatile and we don't want to disturb any honest folk who might be in a five mile radius of the target.

This sounds like an opportunity rather than a problem to be honest. Pull X percent of their team into a barrier with the entirety of your team able to concentrate fire on them without fear of actually killing them or collateral damage?
What does that even look like for the ones that dont get pulled in? Do they see the barrier but can't interact? if they dont get at least that much they might not even realize what just happened before the other part of their team is down from the alpha strike.
Cricket already experienced the "Half of my team is being drawn into another dimension"-trick. She knows that when her teammates suddenly disappear in that way it's time to scram.

Back