Loyalty is its own Reward (A Traitor Legion Chapter Master Quest)

Voting is open
Would deploying some companies to Cadia during the 13th Black Crusade help with that?
It just mostly depends on our performance from now to the Ultima founding, how the High Lords and Gulliman feels too. So if we keep on fighting the good fight, they might be more favorable to letting us have successors.

It just mostly depends on our performance from now to the Ultima founding, how the High Lords and Gulliman feels too. So if we keep on fighting the good fight, they might be more favorable to letting us have successors.
Also keep in mind, being near the single largest cluster of Traitor marines, including our 'brothers', might be a bad idea.

By all means, help Cadia, but don't forget that.

Turn 8 Action Results (773-778 M41) New
Gadir, Aetelian Sector 776 M41.

To your mild surprise, when you scheduled the meeting with Lord Admiral Adherbal the man had chosen to meet you in his family estate of Gadir instead of the Navy Headquarters in Lezo. As such, you and your Honor Guard take a Thunderhawk to the Ocean World, landing on one of the myriad of islands that dot the planet's surface. Once it lands, you flinch and let out a pained grunt as a dazzling summer sun shines on your face. It takes you a moment to adjust, during which you envy your helmeted Guards, after which you are greeted by a sharply dressed man with a passing resemblance to the Lord Admiral, who bows deeply after he reaches you.

"Greeting milords. Lord Hanno is waiting for you on the balcony. If you may follow me." You nod and the man turns around and walks into the manor. Following him, you walk past lavishly decorated corridors, their walls adorned with paintings of ships, star charts and space battles, and busts of famous members of the Adherbal line, mostly the various heads of the house and members that reached high rank in the Imperial Navy. It takes you a scant few minutes to reach the door to the balcony, upon which your guide knocks on the wooden door.

"Lord Hanno, the Space Marines are here."

"Let them in Magon." Comes the Lord Admiral voice from the other side. Magon opens the door and enters, Martellus, Alesios and you follow him while Thrax and Lepidus remain guarding the door.

The balcony you enter has an admittedly splendid view of the beaches near the estate, beautiful locations of fine white sands and clear blue waters. A small table of fine marble occupies the center of the balcony, upon which rests a crystal pitcher with lavender liquid that smells strongly of citrus and two glasses, and two comfortable sunbeds, one of which is occupied by the Lord Admiral. The veteran officer is clad in blue shorts and a garish orange shirt with a pattern of glowing green tropical flowers. The man, who had been laying, rises to a seated position as you enter, a content expression on his wrinkled, tanned face.

"Thank you for guiding the Astartes here, Magon." He addresses your guide. "Go to the kitchens and tell the cooks to prepare a light meal for me. Would you like something to eat, Chapter Master?"

"I'm fine Lord Admiral, thanks for asking." You refuse politely. The Admiral makes Magon bows once again and departs swiftly. Adherbal grabs the pitcher and pours its content onto both of the glasses, taking one from himself and bidding you with a gesture to take the other.

"A better view than the urban sprawl of Lezo, wouldn't you agree?" He comments lightly as you delicately grasp the fragile glass in your power armored hand. "My medicae strenuously suggested that I needed fresh clean air, so I took the chance to return back home. It's been decades since I last was here." He takes a sip of his glass, gazing at the sea. "I take it you're here due to the Eyes of the Mutator in Yerma."

"Indeed." You confirm as you drink of your own glass. An intense sweet and acid taste hits your tongue. You click your tongue, not finding the taste of the juice to your liking. "We are planning a campaign to wipe them out, and I would like to know what level of commitment we can expect from the Imperial Navy."

"The Eyes of the Mutator have been a blight in the Sector for Millennia. I can guarantee you that my subordinates are going to duel each other for the glory of taking them down and giving their careers the push that they need to succeed me." He then smiles without mirth. "Oh, and serving the God-Emperor, of course."

You sneer at his words, viciously disgusted by the lack of commitment and self-interested squabbling of the Navy Admirals. "I see. I would have hoped to count on your presence for the campaign."

Adherbal sighs, and you can see his centuries of age in the tiredness of his posture. "Much as I would enjoy slaughtering those traitors, I have a pressing duty to attend to. Do you remember Himilco Saakarbal?"

"I do, although I haven't heard of him since our last discussion."

There is a pause, in which the Lord Admiral drains what remains of his drink in one sitting before he resumes speaking. "He's been rallying more pirates to his side and striking more defended and risky targets. We've managed to cull some of his subordinate fleets, but the few times we've engaged his personal commands he has either escaped successfully or defeated his opponent. He's growing more powerful each year, and he needs to be stopped before he can transition from an issue to a threat."

You understand the necessity of putting a stop to the renegade Admiral, and you emphasize with the desire of crushing a traitor that he had known personally. "Would you require support from our own fleet?"

"It would be welcomed." Admits Adherbal. "But I understand that with the campaign against the Eyes of the Mutator and others that might come up in the future you may have your hands full." The Gadirian refills his glass again. "Have you asked anyone else for assistance?"

"Not yet. With how deeply the Eyes of the Mutator are tied to the pirates in the Sector, I thought it prudent to secure first the assistance of the Imperial Navy, so that the operation does not fail in its first step." You explain, to which you receive an approving nod of the Lord Admiral.

"A prudent decision." He praises. "However, with the multiple atrocities the Eyes of the Mutator have committed, there are plenty of people interested in bringing them the retribution they so richly deserve."

"Such as?" You would have perused who to call for assistance on the proper preparation of the campaign, but if he has better suggestion for allies, you will not reject them.

"For starters, regiments of Yamuna. Their planet was devastated by the traitors, and that's a grudge they are itching to settle." Starts explaining the Lord Admiral as he keeps drinking the juice. "Then you have the Order of the Thorned Spear. I've heard that you don't have the best relationship with them, but be certain that whatever disdain they might have for you makes in comparison to the abject hatred they possess for the traitors, you may count with far more support that you received from them in Lezo. Lastly you have the Angels Crusader." He grimaces when mentioning their name. "They are hard to deal with and I personally prefer if we had nothing to do with them, but they have the most experience clashing against the Eyes of the Mutator, and they can bring plenty of firepower to bear."

You take in the options he has brought for, and give him a small smile in return. "I will ponder on the suggestions you have given me, Lord Admiral."

"Great, you're already better than my nephew." He jokes, and both of you laugh briefly. The door opens then, and a bevy of servants enter, both shaken and in awe by the presence of the Astartes. They bring three tables that they place at the side of the one already present, upon which they place a variety of plates with grilled fish and vegetables, before retreating at speed.

You can't help but raise an eyebrow at the amount of food that has arrived. "So much for a "light meal" Lord Admiral."

In response, the centuries old veteran gives you a satisfied smirk. "Oh for me alone it would be too much Chapter Master, but with the meal already served I think it would be appropriate that you and your men accompanied me in partaking in it."

You are considering a way to politely reject his offer once more when Martellus takes off his helmet and starts eating without your say so. The only reaction he has to your unimpressed stare, and the death glare that Alesios is undoubtedly giving him behind his faceplate, is to shrug shamelessly. "Well Chapter Master, it would be the height of rudeness to let the food go to waste wouldn't it?"

With a monumental effort of will, you restrain the impulse to pinch your nose and sigh, before you turn to look at the incensed Alesios. "Tell Thrax and Lepidus to come and eat."

-You've secured the assistance of the Imperial Navy for the Cleansing of Yerma. Lord Admiral Hanno Adherbal won't be in the charge of the fleet.

Luctus System, Aetelian Sector, Ultima Segmentum. 777 M41.

Emilianus glances at his fellow captain out of the corner of his eye, as they both make his way towards the Chapter Masters office. Mikhail Vitalievich hides it well, but there is a slight tension in his frame, probably because he's expecting punishment due to the Inquisitor's escape. While that failure hasn't precisely soothed the Terrans' concerns about the younger officer's competence, Inquisitors are a slippery target and failure to apprehend one doesn't truly prove inability or incompetence. Once they reach the office, they find Thrax and Lepidus on the doorway, who let them pass with a grunt and a smirk respectively.

They find the Chapter Master sitting on his desk, a data slate on one of his hands as he sips from a glass of gorionik za usta. He lowers the data slate when they enter and gestures at them to take a seat in the chairs in front of the desk.

"Vitalievich, Pluvia, thank you for coming so promptly." He greets them pleasantly. "Care for a drink?"

Both of the captains refuse as they sit. Emilianus does so because he has never understood some of his brother's fondness for the beverage. The flavor is vile, and while it might be extremely strong for mortals, it wasn't able to even get a Space Marine tipsy.

"Chapter Master." Starts Mikhail warily. "If I'm being called due to my failure in Boshin…"

Severus swiftly cuts him off. "Mikhail, I don't have anything to reproach in that case. While the escape of Inquisitor De Wiert is unfortunate, your report and that of Captain Gallienus and Chaplain Jaronski tell me that you perform ably and without great fault." A small grin appears amidst his beard. "Valzadai casts suspicions on you in his own report, but then again, he casts suspicions on everyone vaguely involved in the matter."

The Luctusian Captain relaxes minutely as he nods firmly. With that out of the way, Emilianus turns his attention to the Chapter Master. "So what have you called us for Chapter Master?"

Severus hands him the dataslate he was reading. Ignoring how Mikhail looks over his shoulders, Emilianus reads, finding that its contents regard a variety of meditation mantras, mental exercises and philosophical texts. Emilianus can't help to raise an eyebrow in skepticism as he expects his superior to explain himself.

"These are part of the exercises I intend to introduce for our marines in order to sharpen their intellect and focus. Especially when it comes to resisting mental influences, like it has already happened before." Both captains grimace in distaste at the reminder of that incident with the 3rd Company Devastators. "I wanted to hear your thoughts on them before I implement them."

Upon hearing their superiors explanation both captains peruse the dataslate more attentively. While Pluvia does find the exercises interesting, he has doubts regarding their utility. His fellow captain seems to share those doubts, and as such he lets him express them.

"With all due respect, Chapter Master." Starts Mikhail. "I fail to see how this might be effective in preventing Chaos." He hesitates briefly, perhaps thinking about how to phrase his next words. "After all, it wasn't a concern during much of your previous service in the Great Crusade."

"It is true that my campaigns in the VIIIth Legion didn't involve fighting followers of Dark Gods." Admits Severus readily. Then he frowns briefly. "At least, not with them openly declaring themselves as such, there were a few foes that now with hindsight…" He almost loses himself in thought but returns to the topic of the conversation. "Anyhow, during the Great Crusade I faced plenty of foes who sought to befuddle or enslave our minds. Eldar, human psykers, psy-breeded experiments," He smirks, an expression that is both satisfied and vicious. "Now extinct Xeno species. Against those attempts I´ve found that proper, well-reasoned conviction and unerring focus are the best way to properly. It's not only enough to have determination, but to be unshakable both in it and in the reasons as to why you have that determination. Some manipulations will be as blunt as a hammerblow, but others can be….deeply insidious."

"I doubt just being strong-willed is enough to deter that kind of psychic assault." Replies Pluvia, still unconvinced of the effectiveness of the program.

"I don't expect it to make someone immune to mental influence or intrusion." Clarifies the Chapter Master, seemingly understanding of his doubts. "But it can repel the influence of weaker trinkets, and in case of direct assault, delay it so that the other marines can either kill the psyker or put down the afflicted before he lashes against them. Still, I ask for your opinion precisely so that you could advise me on improvements and changes."

Pluvia nods, somewhat more understanding with the added explanation. "I see. With your permission, I would like to spend more time studying your proposal in more detail before submitting my opinion."

"Wise of you." Praises the Chapter Master before divesting his attention to the other captain. "I´ll have another copy of the proposal drafted for your perusal Vitalievich. You may leave now."

With that dismissal, both Captains take their leave.

-Emilianus Pluvia gains 6d50= 16+17+50+18+12+32= 145 Willpower XP.
-Mikhail Vitalievich gains 6d50= 41+30+5+23+29+49= 177 Willpower XP

Luctus System, Aetelian Sector, Ultima Segmentum. 775 M41.

Armories Expansion Progress 1d100= 78/75
Apothecarium Expansion Progress 1d100= 32/75
Grigori Yefimovich Intelligence roll 5+1(New Students)d10=6d10 (SC 3)= 8, 2, 7, 6, 1, 10= 4 Successes

As Leonardo's work shift enters the mess hall, they all blink momentarily as they turn off their lanterns, adjusting their sight from the dark corridor of the Fortress-monastery to the more normal lighting of the areas where the serfs like them live.

"God-Emperor, why must the hallways be so dark all the time?" Complains Natasha as they all move towards the cue for their meal, tired and hungry from the grueling work of digging through rock and stone, always wary of the chance of the ceiling caving in on their heads.

"As I've told you a thousand times already Natasha, the Astartes like it that way." Replies Lonhay, the boss of their workshift, too tired to truly put heat into the reply. Leonardo and his shift grab the metal trays and get in line, waiting behind their fellows to be served."

"Wish they didn't." Complains Kalina, as the serfs in charge of lunch fill their trays with a hearty stew of mushrooms and meat, boiled potatoes and an apple. They all take their seats after that, Leonardo and Kalina sitting on one side and Natasha and Lonhay on the other. No conversation occurs as all of them busy themselves in eating their meals, which are filling if not particularly tasteful. Only when they are mostly done with their food do they resume conversation.

"Few, that hits the spot." Comments Natasha with a satisfied grin. "So, do you think they are going to keep us working on the armories, or shuffle us to the orbital ring?"

"Orbital ring." Answers Lonhay as he bites into his apple. "They caught Miroslav and his boys brawling with the Xditians, so we're being sent up there to replace them while they do penance."

Kalina spits to the side. "Bet the damn off-worlders started it. Jebating bastards.

Everyone in the table, and those in the nearby ones close enough to eavesdrop, nod or curse in agreement, including Leonardo. Since they have arrived with the other Angels of Death they had spent most of the time out of work whining about the Fortress-Monastery and the planet, strutting about as if they were above the rest of them. God-Emperor almighty, Leonardo's parents were from off-world too, and they never had complained that much!

Leonardo's pulled out of his musings by another comment of Natasha. "Well at least we aren't working near the Librarius chambers." Everyone shudders as the place of residence of the Chapters Psykers is mentioned. The priests warned them in their sermons about the foulness of the Warp and how it tainted everything and everyone it touches, yet their own masters had a place for their own witches. He has asked Father Reznov for the reason of that contradiction, who explained that as the Emperor's Angels are imbued with His Grace, not even the evil beyond reality could find purchase in them. Still, Leonardo prefers to be as far as he can from their sorcery.

"Still I'm going to miss working under the Master of the Keep." Comments Kalina with a dreamy expression. "He's way more handsome than the Master of the Forge."

"Kalina!" Shouts Lonhay aghast. "You can't speak of the Angel's in that crude manner!"

"That isn't crude Lonhay." Argues a grinning Kalina. "Crude would be if I said that I wish he would use those big hands of his to tear my clothes and…"

"Kalina stop!" Interrupts Natasha with an embarrassed shout. "How can you be so shameless!"

Leonardo keeps a stern look in his face as his two friends continue berating an unrepentant Kalina, even as he's recalling in the privacy of his thoughts that one time he caught the Chapter Master's Honor Guard leaving the showers.

Emperor Almighty, you could grind stone on those abs.

-Armories Expanded. +25 BP
-Progress made towards the Apothecarium Expansion.
-Wards in the Librarius inscribed, consequences of failed actions mitigated.

Luctus System, Aetelian Sector, Ultima Segmentum. 777 M41.

Karark Zel Intelligence roll 8d10 (DC 5)= 9, 9, 10, 8, 10, 9, 7, 10= 11 Successes, Critical Success
Valzadai Intelligence roll 8d10= 6, 10, 9, 5, 4, 6, 5, 2= 5 Successes= 13/100
Valzadai Intelligence roll 8d10= 7, 5, 9, 2, 9, 1, 5, 3= 2 Successes= 7/20

As of now, Karark Zel is truly grateful for the assistance of his pupils in the worship of the Machine God, for he would not have the time to focus on his current task if he had his attention diverted. Ostia and Noricum are coordinating the last of the repairs on the Shrouded Blade, the already complex task of repairing the orbiting ship made even more complicated due to the construction of the orbital ring by their cousins in the Blazing Wardens. Karark Zel had been able to help in the process on a few occasions, and he had been pleased with the labors of the sons of Vulkan. There was lore that they had lost and he or his apprentices needed to educate them in, but the marines of the XVIIIth Legion had always possessed a talent and artistry in construction and creation that their descendants had maintained. Capua and Husnik had shown that they had absorbed the lessons he had taught them, fully repairing one of their damaged Stormbirds and Thunderhawks, it wasn't quite up to his standards, but once he finished with his current task he will point out to them the areas in which they have failed, and he knows that they will solve those imperfections. Siracusa provided invaluable support when it came to restoring the Land Raider he had uncovered in Lezo. The faded emblem of the horse in his hull had turned out to be the heraldry of the Wind Watchers, back before they had turned into the Eyes of the Mutator. The proud Machine Spirit had been both placated by its restoration and furious for its abandonment of his now traitor owners, and as such had been eager to resume its service under the Mist Shrikes command. He would have renamed it 01010010 01100001 01100111 01100101 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100001 01100011 01101000 01101001 01101110 0110010, but Siracusa proposed Dark Horizon instead. He personally disliked the name, but the Machine Spirit had greatly preferred it for its own, so there was nothing he could do about it.

With those other necessary works either done or left in good hands, he had been able to fully focus on the Dreadnought the Tech-priests of Smilnay had graciously gifted them. The examination had been a long and complex affair, but one that the Nostraman had enjoyed greatly, as it involved working with sacred technologies that he had not previously handled. The grav-gun was due to the lack of such weaponry in the Fear of Judgement, and while he still lacked a complete understanding of the making of these venerable instruments, he had learned plenty of avenues of research in which to correct this. As for the Contemptor-Pattern Dreadnought, there had been one in the form of Aristeo, the predecessor of Severus in the captaincy of the 63rd Company of the Night Lords. To his great consternation, the maintenance of the Dreadnought had been the sole responsibility of Voramer, the techmarine of the 63rd and a secretive soul. When the Fear of Judgement had been lost to the Warp, Voramer had been shot in the back by a maddened marine, and Aristeo and his war-coffin were torn to pieces by a tide of Daemons.

He has thrown himself with enthusiasm at the examination of the Dreadnought, which is something he has been vindicated for. For one, now he has a greater understanding on how to build more of the wondrous machines, which he's eager to put into practice. Secondly he had been able to detect and correct multiple problems present. The most obvious were the haphazardly repaired legs of the war-walker, replacing damaged servos and creating the appropriate armor plating. Then he had examined in excruciating detail the various internal parts, some of which had been in need of repairs, substitutions or calibrations. Lastly, and more importantly, he had dealt with serious issues in the various neural links that connected the Dreadnought with its occupants' nervous system. The long dead tech-priests of Smilnay had no previous experience with Astartes equipment, and when removing the remains of the Iron Warrior that had originally made use of it they had caused a series of damages that would have made it more dangerous if it´is used by other occupants. With the Blessings of the Omnissiah he has been able to correct them in time, and even adjust some specifications to the exact requirements of Spatha´s nervous system and vitals.

Just as he's going to run one of the last routinary checks on the sensory output one of Valzadai´s subordinates, Anodynon if he's not mistaken, barges into the Forge, almost crashing into a serf carrying bolt rounds.

"Master of the Forge, Champion Spatha vitals have started to fade!" He announces. "We need to start the entombment immediately!"

Karark Zel immediately starts to prepare the tools needed.

Claudius Spatha Toughness roll 4+2(Chief Apothecary Valzadai)d10= 6d10 (SC 3-1 (Contemptor examination Crit)= SC 2)= 6, 2, 1, 10, 5, 5= 2 Successes

Neophyte Implantation Success roll 1d37=18+5(18x0.25)=23 Marines
Techmarine Candidates 1d4-2= 4-2=2
Apothecary Candidates 1d4-2= 4-2=2
Chaplain Candidates 1d4-2= 4-2= 2

In the Forges of the Mist Shrikes Fortress-Monastery, a small group of marines stand around a Dreadnought. Two of them are the Master of the Forge and the Chief Apothecary, monitoring with the utmost focus the vital signs and status diagnosis of both chassis and marine. The other four are the Honor Guard of the Mist Shrikes, the ones that had stood with Spatha shoulder to shoulder during these forty years of service. The Chapter Master isn´t present due to the needs of his position preventing him from doing so, but he had spent some of his scarce free time visiting Spatha as his condition steadily worsened. His companions in the Honor Guard, however, had taken turns in accompanying their fellow. Whoever wasn´t in rotation guarding the Chapter Master spent his time with the Chapter Champion, ever since the moment they had returned from Noitsab and Claudius had started suffering for crippling spasm, losses of consciousness and mix of visions and hallucinations so vivid and intense that he could not distinguish between reality, portent and delirium.

And so, they waited with the closest thing an Astartes could feel to trepidation. Death was a fact of life for an Astartes, an unavoidable and accepted eventuality, but there was a difference between meeting that fate at the hands of one of the countless foes of Mankind, fulfilling their duty and purpose, and doing so in an operating table as your body betrayed you. All of them considered the second a fate unworthy of any Space Marines, especially for a warrior of outstanding skill and vibrant personality such as Claudius.

Then, the Contemptor-pattern Dreadnought shudders as it comes to life, and starts moving slightly with a sound of whirring servos. Karark Zel smiles in satisfaction, Valzadai´s gaze shifts back to the monitor with wariness, and the four Honor Guards release a baited breath that they had not realized that they were holding. The "head" of the Dreadnought looks at them for a moment in silence, a stare which they return.

"Huh." Vocalizes Spatha, the booming sound of the vox-casters completely different from his previous voice. "I'm finally taller than you Thrax."

The gigantic marine barks a laugh and slaps the chassis frame with a grin. "I knew you were going to pull through brother."

"Very optimistic way of seeing this." Comments Spatha with mirth. "Still, you must all be relieved, for now my striking visage no longer overshadows your ugly mugs."

"Careful now Claudius." Warns Julius, but there is an undercurrent of mirth that is normally absent in the stern marine. "Be mindful that we can now turn off your vox-casters when we grow tired of your dim-witted comments."

There is a pause for a second or so as Spatha absorbs that information. "Truly, this is a fate worse than death." He finally deadpans, which provokes a burst of laughter from the Honor Guard, a wide smile from the Master of the Forge and even an furtive ghost of a smile in the lips of the Chief Apothecary.

-New Options unlocked.
-Champion Claudius Spatha Successfully Interred in the Contemptor-pattern Dreadnought.
-Stormbird, Thunderhawk, and Land Raider
Dark Horizon Repaired.
-17 Nowalijki gained, 37 Progenoids lost. Techmarines Candidates Orban and Vantara Gained, Apothecaries-in-Training Morozhenko and Morozov Gained, Chaplains-in-Training Pujats and Vaivods Gained.

Luctus System, Aetelian Sector, Ultima Segmentum. 775 M41.

Recruitment rolls 2d100+5/2= (63+5)+(84+5)/2= 68+89/2= 79
Psyker Recruitment rolls 1d4-2= 2-2= 0

Willpower Training rolls 6d50= 25, 32, 27, 28, 2, 10, 46, 19= 177
Intelligence Training rolls 6d50= 34, 31, 13, 40, 38, 30, 20, 31= 194

-Karark Zel gains 100 Intelligence XP
-Karark Zel gains 30 Agility XP
-Karark Zel gains 30 Ballistic Skill XP
-Myrok Kuthil gains 30 Weapon Skill XP
-Myrok Kuthil gains 30 Agility XP
-Myrok Kuthil gains 50 Fellowship XP
-Constantinus Logos gains 30 Weapon Skill XP
-Marcius Hostilius Gains 100 Intelligence XP
-Emilianus Pluvia gains 30 Ballistic Skill XP
-Falce gains 30 Ballistic Skill Skill XP
-Severus gains 30 Agility XP
-Severus gains 30 Toughness XP
-Valzadai gains 30 Ballistic Skill XP
-Valzadai gains 100 Intelligence XP
-Grigori Yefimovich gains 30 Willpower XP
-Mikhail Vitalievich gains 30 Ballistic Skill XP
-Secutor gains 30 Weapon Skill XP
-Mikhail gains 30 Ballistic Skill XP
-Domician gains 50 Agility XP
-Tullius Apollodorus gains 50 Agility XP
-Paulus Numerian gains 50 Agility XP
-Cato Utica gains 50 Agility XP
-Marcus Fretensis gains 50 Agility XP
-Average Marine gains 60 Ballistic Skill XP
-Average Marine gains 30 Weapon Skill XP
-Average Marine gains 30 Agility Skill XP
-Average Marine gains 30 Perception Skill XP
-Average Marine gains 60 Toughness XP

As Andrzej´s and the rest of his squad return to the vast chamber that serves as the main marketplace of Ubezhishche, he can see the multiple passersby and shopkeepers glance at them in curiosity and unease as they behold their blood-splattered armor. As part of their agreement with the local authorities, they occasionally embarked in policing duties in the Refuges, investigating difficult cases and assisting the security forces in busting down cults and criminal organizations. Taking advantage of their presence as they accompanied Chaplain Osinski in rounding up new aspirants for the Chapter, the local constables had requested their help in dealing with an off-worlder human trafficking ring that sold slaves to other planets in the Sector. They had done so promptly and efficiently, even if Andrzej couldn´t help but question what the slavers were thinking. Slavery is illegal on Luctus, but there are other planets in the Sector where it is a normalized affair, and they could have carried on their business without any issue.

Putting those thoughts aside, Andrzej watches as his sergeant exchanges some words with the Chaplain, and then turn his attention to the various youths that wait in line to be attended by the serf in charge of recording the personal details of the potential neophytes.

"Name?" Asks the Serf as another child steps towards the portable desk in which he´s seating.

"Grisha" Answers a blond kid practically vibrating with excitement.

The serf is way less enthusiastic, writing the name with tired and slow strokes. "Age?"

"I turn 12 in a few days."

"Birthplace?"

"Here in Ubezhishche."

"Do you have any disease or physical impairment?"

"Ehm…No, I don´t think so."

The serf lifts momentarily his eyes from his scroll to look at the boy, before rummaging through a nearby bag and pulling from it another scroll and offering the kid a quill. "This document confirms that you are sworn to the service of the God-Emperor, Master of Mankind, the Imperium and the Mist Shrike Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes, and accept all the duties and responsibilities of this oath, with a clear mind, full understanding of what you´re agreeing to and of your own free will. In case you don´t know how to write your name, make a cross in this spot."

The kid practically snatches the quill out of the serf´s hand but before he can do anything else a voice thunders across the whole marketplace.

"GRIGORY VICTOROVICH BOYTSOV!" The boy pales, his energy completely drained as he stills with an fearful grimace. Andrzej, the serf, and the other marines present turn to look at the direction of the voice, seeing a short, old woman walking at a speed towards them with a wrathful face that wouldn´t be out of place in one of his brothers during battle. "WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE GOD-EMPEROR AND THE SAVIOR DO YOU THINK YOU´RE DOING YOUNG MAN?!" Once he reaches the kid, her hand flies to his ear, grabbing it with an adamantium grip and pulling to drag him away.

"Babushka, I…" "SILENCE YOUNG MAN, DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED YOUR PARENTS ARE? WE´VE SPENT THE WHOLE MORNING SEARCHING FOR YOU, THINKING THAT SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAS HAPPENED, ONLY TO FIND YOU HERE, BOTHERING THE EMPEROR´S ANGEL WITH YOUR FOOLISHNESS!!"

"But Babushka, I wanna be a Space Marine!" Protest the young man, only to quail as his grandmother fixes him with the full strength of her glare.

"WITHOUT YOUR PARENTS PERMISSION, LIKE HELL YOU ARE! YOUR IN A WORLD OF TROUBLE YOUNG MAN! YOU BETTER PREPARE FOR THE SPANKING YOU´VE EARNED, YOU´RE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO SIT UNTIL YOUR MY AGE, YOU….." Her voice fades away as both she and her grandson move away from the marketplace. Andrzej exchanges glances with his squadmates, knowing that beneath their helmets they are all containing the laughter threatening to come out of their lips. The serf in charge of the records remains still for a moment, before shrugging and calling the next boy to step forward.

-79 Neophytes Gained
-Average Marine Intelligence Raised to 5

QM Notes: So here are the results of Turn 8, start thinking what planet you want for the next excerpt of the Guide. Also, some people have requested a little list of the armor designs of the difference armors, so I´ll post that later in the day. As always, feel free to point out any spelling or grammar mistakes you see, and have a nice day.

First things first, I am so, so glad we got the Wards done. The extra 25 BP is also very nice to have, I'm thinking to repeat the action again next turn. Mikhail and Emilianus seem to not have gotten their next Willpower level unfortunately but looking at the dice, that was never going to be likely. Karark Zel rolled fantastically, and I think that means we'll be able to make our own Contemptor-Pattern Dreadnoughts now, possibly also replicating the Grav weapon this one has. Could be useful in the future, potentially a trade option with another Chapter? In more immediate news, SPATHA LIVES! Yes, looking at the rolls it seems Karark Zel's critical also ended up saving the man's life, so thank the Omnissiah for that. We didn't get many new Nowalijki but we got 2 new junior Techmarines, Apothecaries, and Chaplains, which is very good. Also looks like our training went well, we now have 5 in both Willpower and Intelligence on average.
-79 Neophytes Gained
-Average Marine Intelligence Raised to 5
...Though the Willpower part wasn't listed it seems. Happy about the 79 Neophytes btw.

...Her voice fades away as both she and her grandson move away from the marketplace. Andrzej exchanges glances with his squadmates, knowing that beneath their helmets they are all containing the laughter threatening to come out of their lips. The serf in charge of the records remains still for a moment, before shrugging and calling the next boy to step forward.

-79 Neophytes Gained

At least we know why we didn't get "full" 80 😉😂

This was a good turn. Even if we did face some failures on the Eldar and Inquisitor fronts.

We got full rolls for our recruitment and our specialists. Have some more Tech, Apothecary, and Chaplains, which is good epically since we may need to replace our head chaplain soon.

And just barely squeezing Spatha into that contemptor is huge as well. Thank the emperor Karak Zel is such a tech obsessed weirdo!

Spatha's the marine that was due to die from the geneseed flaw but thanks to the dreadnought was stabilised?

Sounds like this is how you will get dreadnoughts that way if the future officers fail their geneseed DC check.

Yay, we saved Spatha! Looks like the Dreadnought process went well, too - he's actually fully coherent in there, which a lot of the Ancients aren't lucky enough for. According to the Informational, he's technically resigned as Champion - understandable, he is stuck in a Contemptor now - so we'll have to find someone to succeed him. I vote we not give the job to anyone who doesn't prove they deserve it to Spatha's satisfaction.

Now that we have how to make Contemptors down, we should think about talking with the other Chapters about it - while the standard Castraferrum pattern is better at fitting through doors, the Contemptor is better in pretty much every other regard, and giving our cousins the ability to make new ones will be huge.

So, how good is our restored Contemptor compared to proper STC standard one?

Well up until Zel refitted it, it was awful. Now, it's actually fairly decent - with the minor note that Contemptors aren't actually "supposed" to be equipped with Grav Cannons. Smilnay may or may not have Hereteked that one.

Man i am hyped from the crit success of karark to be able now to make that grave weapon and that dreadnought pattern of course it will probally be resverd for chapter masters captains command and Honour Guard but its is still a hugh win

Well up until Zel refitted it, it was awful. Now, it's actually fairly decent - with the minor note that Contemptors aren't actually "supposed" to be equipped with Grav Cannons. Smilnay may or may not have Hereteked that one
Well, wiki at least claims that Relic Contemptors are sometimes equipped with Grav canons. But I am more curious about atomantic shielding and other high end tech.

The orbital docks our cousins are building for us and should be done by turn 11 will be our new shipyards correct? If so I wanted to ask if anyone knew what ships they would be capable of servicing and or building up to and how many at a time?

Voting is open
Back