IWIW RWBY

Yeah, Grimm Eclipse was a fan game where Ruby fought Grimm in basically the original trailer that turned into an official product when RT tried branching out into making their own games. It's alright, but it was never going to set the world on fire.

Changing the subject, I've been thinking about Salem's control of the Grimm. The mechanics, I mean. She must have limits or her minions would never have needed to sow fear to catalyze an attack on Vale.

And I think I know what it is: She doesn't actually have any special Grimm control powers. She's just so old that other Grimm defer to her naturally. We know Grimm get smarter and tougher with age and we've seen Grimm, even Grimm of different kinds, employ teamwork (see the two big Grimm at the end of the Initiation test). If they're going to employ teamwork, it's only natural for the younger Grimm to follow the ideas of the older, who are both smarter and more experienced. And as an immortal, Salem has managed to become the oldest Grimm around. Oh, I'm sure she's found a bunch of cheats, like using those crystal-ball Grimm to convey orders to Grimm far away, which other Grimm can't do, but I suspect she can't tell the Grimm to do anything another Grimm couldn't convince them to do. Luckily what she wants them to do is mostly attack people, so they're well inclined to follow those orders.

Last edited:
V08C01 Divide
Two weeks of deep breaths, play a bunch of videogames, find an alternate media repository, keep moving forward (slower).

I actually had the first two Chapters written up already due to having watched them on Rooster Teeth's website in what turned out to be its last few days of operation, but the end of V7 seemed like as good a time as any to take a break. In any case, I've added the stinger to my post on V07C13:

Next time: Bad leadership, good leadership, somehow worse leadership.

V08C01 Divide

New and fancy Rooster Teeth intro that I recognise from the World of Remnant reuploads (around this time) and Arrowfell (released a bit later).

Somebody's scrubbing a wooden floor. Is that Higanbana Waitress for some reason? (checks) {{No, it's not.}}

Cut to Cinder barely restraining herself from scratching up Neopolitan's pilot's seat as they fly into the storm. Neo looks a bit freaked out as The Whale becomes visible.

The Whale has at least one set of landing pads poking out of at least one side. Neo and Cinder's weird-looking aircraft lands on the rearmost of this set.

There is a literal full ominous choir in the soundtrack as we get the intro text over some nondescript whale-insides backgrounds. This Volume is going to be a constant battle with my legendary squeamishness, isn't it?

The choir crescendos as the pair enter a throne room and Neo gets her first look at Salem (it freaks her out).

Cinder kneels. Neo remains standing, possibly not wanting to surrender her temporary height advantage. Salem insinuates that very bad things will happen if Cinder does not bear gifts. Fortunately for Cinder, she does bear gifts - the Relic of Knowledge. Cinder gives Neo absolutely no credit for stealing the thing, which doesn't impress Neo.

Tyrian reckons that being able to steal things from Ironwood isn't much of an achievement, especially given that Cinder lost out to our protagonists first. So what does that say about the defeated Tyrian, and for that matter Watts, says Cinder. Tyrian throws Watts under the bus and threatens Neo. The dysfunction here is unsurprising but still disappointing.

Salem would like to know who Neo is. Cinder says that Neo is skilled and a "valuable asset". Not valuable enough to credit properly, though... Salem remarks that Cinder "do[es] enjoy collecting assets", cuing in Emerald and Mercury (and also Hazel). Cinder shatters Emerald's hopes and dreams, then Tyrian twists the knife by (metaphorically) stabbing Cinder again.

Cinder sounds very sure she can beat Penny and friends in a fight for someone who just got done fleeing from Penny and friends in a fight, and gets so caught up in her revenge fantasies that she forgets her station: beneath Salem, who activates The Whale's internal PA system to tell her off louder. Or, no, she just took the opportunity to switch on the viewscreen. As Cinder once told Torchwick "Don't think. Obey.", Salem now tells Cinder so, albeit in more words. The circle of life. I wish I could safely eat popcorn right now.

Oscar has found his way to a barrel fire (minus the barrel) on the outskirts of the outskirts of Mantle. He's so jumpy (or inward-focused) that he initially mistakes an offer of some broth as an attack, or is at least startled by it. No harm is done, and he even still gets to drink it.

Ozpin (subtitled as "Man"??) tells him «Heads up.» as an Atlesian aircraft bears down on the camp - it's pretty reasonable to be concerned about random Atlesian aircraft, given the extant arrest warrant. This one, though, turns out to be the protagonists' aircraft. "Need a lift?" shouts Ruby. (Maria is flying; Weiss is also there.)

Later, they (subtitled as "spaceship"???) fly over the outskirts of Mantle. It's snowing (implying freezing still), and Grimm wander leisurely through the holes in the walls. Inside the aircraft, Oscar recriminates himself for trying to get through to Ironwood, and many decisions before that, possibly at least as far back as leaving the farm as Ozpin told him. Ruby tries to reassure him that "We all did what we thought was best", which I predict won't go well because, as noted previously, Ironwood's also doing just that. I'm wrong - Ruby continues directly to "I'm just glad you're all right."

Joanna - as in Robyn's team - signals them to land, and all duck into a safehouse, Joanna shooting a passing camera drone just before it turns far enough to see her at the entrance and definitely blow their cover. Inside, May is communicating to an elsewhere Fiona (the other one).

The balance of Teams RWBY and ALPN are also inside. Oscar resigns himself to being tackled by Nora again, remembering their reunion in Argus, but Nora is uncharacteristically reserved in her greeting. Oscar deflects questions about how he got there with 'long story', and reckons there's more long stories given the presence of Penny. (Maria, Penny, and Pietro have been added to the Wanted poster, and Qrow - whom we know is captured - has been removed.)

Oscar doesn't yet mention Ozpin showing up again, instead asking about Qrow. Qrow remains missing; all they know is that he was last seen with Robyn. Speaking of, Joanna would like them all to actually accomplish something with their lives now that Oscar's been found. Ren doesn't think there's much room to accomplish anything - nobody in Mantle can be evacuated to Atlas without Ironwood changing his orders (highly unlikely), nor anywhere else with Salem besieging the area.

Joanna's grand plan is to evacuate Mantle's population into the crater that Atlas left behind when it was lifted: it at least has heating (Mantle still doesn't, and is not likely to), and presents a smaller defensive perimeter. She reckons this must be done by nightfall; I presume it's going to get really cold overnight again. Weiss grumbles out loud that "We're never going to sleep again", getting no sympathy from the departing Joanna: "Either you're helping, or you're baggage.". Is that the healthiest attitude? Probably not.

Yang, also shown in flash-forward on the streets of Mantle, asserts the need to start helping Mantle. Ruby (the others narrate over the flash-forward) has a different plan: help everyone by sending the signal from Amity. Flash-forward Yang hides from some Grimm and metaphorically stumbles on dropped luggage: evidence that somebody had a bad time trying to evacuate. Blake asserts that their hosts the Happy Huntresses (so we're not calling them Team, uh, (spends far too long staring at list of permutations) HMTG?) are handling the evacuation and supports Ruby in seeing the bigger picture.

Flash-forward ends. Present Yang raises a problem: Amity isn't ready to launch. Ruby reckons they can find Pietro what he needs to make it ready. Pietro reckons most of the material problems can be worked around, but launch clearance must be granted at Ironwood's own terminal. Fortunately, there are two: one previously known in Atlas Academy, one in military headquarters at the base of Atlas that will probably be slightly less difficult for flash-forward Ruby to get into.

Yang is falling back into her old depressive habits, asserting that the op is impossible. This starts an argument with present Ruby. Yang insinuates she's challenging Ruby for leadership, drawing silent shock from all others present.

Ren joins Yang, both in present and in flash-forward. Nora joins Ruby, in both times. Jaune tries for the golden mean fallacy, to which Ruby objects that "dividing" is what Salem would want, but I have a feeling from the flash-forwards that Jaune's going to win this one. Oscar, bless him, tells Ruby she's taking "dividing" too literally - and in the process starting Salem's actual favoured kind of division - and that they can afford to split the party.

Penny proposes surrendering the Relic of Creation to Salem. Penny, if Salem gets her mitts on that thing then the evacuees in Atlas Crater are going to be flattened, never mind any other consequences from what Salem creates with it, or whether she can be trusted to actually take it and go home. Oscar points out both of these things.

With general agreement not to surrender Creation, Penny volunteers herself in Pietro's place to join break-in team and deal with the computer security on Ironwood's terminal, shutting down Pietro's argument about not risking her by dramatic deployment of Maiden eyes.

Pietro directs Yang's team - Ren, Jaune, and Oscar; I shall call them Team APRY - to go via his pharmacy, where he left some stuff that was meant for them. Blake and Weiss are joining Ruby, Nora, and Penny; I shall call them Team RSPBV. Maria can fly Pietro out to Amity to finalise the launch site. The remaining capability gap is getting Team RSPBV to Atlas; flash-forward (or is this the present now?) Weiss thinks she has an idea, but is interrupted by a device ringing: Ironwood is calling Penny.

Penny picks up. Ironwood feigns concern for her safety. Instead of answering herself, Penny hands the Scroll to Ruby, who starts a Ruby speech. It doesn't work; Ironwood cuts her off halfway through with an Ironwood speech soaked with fatalism that leaves Mantle to fend for itself and pushes accountability for Salem's future sacking of Atlas onto Ruby and Penny (never mind the ongoing fall of Mantle). Neither answers him, they just embrace each other. Fair answer.

The now-leaderless Ace Ops stare at their last leader's corpse in the morgue. Ow.

Across the hall, Winter is on the mend, and Ironwood has a new mech-arm to replace the non-mech one that Watts happened to. An officer the very image of Neo's disguise reports that "the prisoners", which Winter deduces to mean Qrow and Robyn, are being processed. Ironwood is having a little Ironwood freakout at the size of the siege and the lifespan of Atlas' hardlight shields, which he responds to the only way he knows how: doubling down on authoritarianism.

Those other two Atlas Councillors arrive to ask Ironwood what the h*ck he's playing at with 'no evacuations' and 'martial law'. Oh shit, Ironwood just shot one of them. No debate, no dismissal, not even having them dragged off to the dungeon, just a bullet to the head-height. Remember the good old days when cold-blooded murder was only a thing Team CEMN did? At least the watching Ace Ops (and Winter) seem alarmed.

(With one Councillor dead and another rotting in jail, Ironwood is now a de-jure dictator in addition to de-facto: the survivor's one vote cannot overrule his two, if they even wanted to risk getting shot for voting against him.)

Salem calls a Grimm in (that is a disgusting door, as expected of The-Whale-flesh) to first monologue to it about how she doesn't know the password to Knowledge, then order it to go get someone who does. It never rains but it pours, doesn't it?

After a very long cut through black while the ominous music (no choir this time) trails off, there are a bit more than two-and-a-half minutes for titles (and credits).

We just don't get subtitles for this one, do we?
  • Abrupt glitch-cuts between intact and half-ruined shots of Mantle (and in one case Atlas).
  • Title card, as Ruby stands behind the rest of Teams RWBY and ALPN and we look over (but way above) her shoulder. The perspective is quite something.
  • These individual shots of Team RWBY have projected nostalgia shots to tell us about happier times. Blake's is from as far back as her colour trailer. (I missed Weiss' entirely at first because I wasn't expecting hers to be projected on her body.)
  • Ironwood has Atlas projected on his uniform. Wipe transition to Ironwood looking battered and Atlas looking ruined.
  • A hand I'm not good enough to identify drops Clover's emblem. Zoom in to it; we see the Ace Ops, and Qrow (back to back with Harriet), reflected in the clover leaves. Transition fully to Qrow's scene; Robyn offers him a hand and helps him up. You'll be shocked to learn they're in a cell.
  • Now Oscar is in a bigger cell, having a bad time, with Grimm watching from outside the bars, and now Inexplicably Winged Salem looming over him.
  • Team RWBY's weapons fall. Also not ominous at all! /s
  • Team ALN stand at points of a triangle in the scenic tundra, facing outward. Ren is refusing to acknowledge Nora at all. Nora's not handling it well.
  • Weiss and Winter walk past each other on a glyph. While Winter is obscured behind Weiss, her outfit gains something I can't identify wrapped around her upper torso. Medical purposes?
  • Glyph background for Whitley and Willow (their mother).
  • That glyph falls to a chequered floor and shatters. It's a giant chessboard; Salem summons herself onto it and turns the black pieces (familiar imagery) into Grimm, which charge at the other side, where Ironwood stands alone as the white pieces vanish, and then so do all but the square he's standing on. No prizes for getting that symbolism.
  • Watts and Pietro lurk on opposite sides of a mirror, doing tech things. Only the Pietro in the mirror (not the real one) turns to look at Penny, who looks pensive as the mirror cracks. Transition away before it shatters...
  • A snowflake blows into Ren's hand. Jaune tries to reassure him; Yang and Oscar are also there, completing Team APRY. A rose petal (I think) blows past Nora a little distance away; the rest of Team RSPBV drop in on either side of her. Camera instantaneously flips around to reveal that they're watching Amity caught between Atlas on one side and Salem's siege on the other; Penny takes flight and hovers (visually) under Amity (another one for the 'not ominous at all /s' file).
  • Split-screen, of the type the animators got fond of using last Volume, in which Ruby and Yang nod at each other. This starts the fight scene with the Grimm. Most of them get a moment, then the scene freezes as Cinder strolls past the action. She strolls off the end of the action shot past suddenly Neo and Emerald, then clutches her Grimm arm in pain as fire erupts around her. So what does this foreshadow?
  • Transition through a fireball to Hazel, Tyrian, Mercury, then Salem. (Interesting that Emerald and Mercury appear separately.) Reflected in Salem's eyes we see the Relics of Knowledge and Choice. The Relics, now seen together, dance together and emit blue mist, which fades to-
  • -Ruby looks up. Before her, Atlas and Mantle abruptly glitch-cut from half-ruined to intact, in reverse of the start of the titles. Teams RWBY and ALPN seem pretty happy about that. We sit around for a second (an eternity in this context) basking in it, then a crevasse opens under Team RWBY and they fall. They seem to fall into some transparent medium, trailing little golden motes, then stop. Ruby looks up at Creation, emitting many more motes and far out of reach, before Grimm arms close over her view...
  • Short answer section! Words interspersed with chalkboard-looking drawings:
    • "Happy", swiftly crossed out and suffixed with a question mark.
    • The jaws of a Grimm, resembling the one Salem tasked at the end of this Chapter.
    • "Ever", swiftly crossed out and replaced with "Never".
    • Somebody's right eye, and adjoining part of face and hairstyle. Initially the pupil and iris are in red chalk, the eye socket and eyebrow in cyan, and the face in something beige-looking; then the pupil and iris briefly change to cyan (blink and you'll miss it), before it all changes to red and the eye closes a bit to look angrier.
    • "After", swiftly replaced with "Again" crossed out.
    • The dropped weapons of Team RWBY, and another one that I think by chalk colour is Jaune's, finally land.
  • The music ends. Crescent Rose is driven into the earth alone, in the same pose as its chalk drawing that we just left. Its only company is the tundra, the night, the shattered moon, and after a moment the creator credit and some rose petals blowing by. Not even Ruby.
In summary, to quote Dragon Ball Z Abridged (which I am told is invariably a good source of quotable lines), "Well that's f**king ominous." (censor bleep as original).

Amateur lyrical analysis: From what I can tell with no subtitles anywhere to help me, if you had any doubt that this was basically the second coming of V3, stop having that doubt.

Credits: I recognise the voice of a Councillor as also voicing, uh, who is it they're not here, (checks) Harriet. Also nobody asked for the ominous choir piece again.

Next time: Captivity.

Neo looks a bit freaked out as The Whale becomes visible.

I rarely side with Ice Cream Girl. She's entirely valid in being freaked :p

Neo gets her first look at Salem (it freaks her out).

"... Oh. That's Satan. Ohhhh fuuuuuuuuuu-"

Fortunately for Cinder, she does bear gifts - the Relic of Knowledge. Cinder gives Neo absolutely no credit for stealing the thing, which doesn't impress Neo.

And again, one of them sees it as a partnership, one does not.

Emerald and Mercury (and also Hazel).

All in fancy new costumes!

Cinder shatters Emerald's hopes and dreams

It's what she does best.

As Cinder once told Torchwick "Don't think. Obey.", Salem now tells Cinder so, albeit in more words. The circle of life. I wish I could safely eat popcorn right now.

Right in front of Emerald. Remember this.

(subtitled as "spaceship"???)

Yeah, Rooster Teeth never did put enough effort into the subtitles. Most of the ones on Youtube back in the day were actually fan made.

Joanna's grand plan is to evacuate Mantle's population into the crater that Atlas left behind when it was lifted: it at least has heating (Mantle still doesn't, and is not likely to), and presents a smaller defensive perimeter. She reckons this must be done by nightfall; I presume it's going to get really cold overnight again. Weiss grumbles out loud that "We're never going to sleep again", getting no sympathy from the departing Joanna: "Either you're helping, or you're baggage.". Is that the healthiest attitude? Probably not.

I do like this. It shows that people outside the main group are thinking things through, and that while they don't have a long term strategy yet, they are still taking actions to protect people and defend civilians.

Flash-forward Yang hides from some Grimm and metaphorically stumbles on dropped luggage: evidence that somebody had a bad time trying to evacuate.

And a great demonstration of how you don't need to show the bodies on screen to get the message across.

Ruby objects that "dividing" is what Salem would want, but I have a feeling from the flash-forwards that Jaune's going to win this one. Oscar, bless him, tells Ruby she's taking "dividing" too literally - and in the process starting Salem's actual favoured kind of division - and that they can afford to split the party.

This bit here, I love. Ruby is freaking out, getting tunnel vision, between events of the past night, trauma, fear, her inexperience compared to people like Ironwood... her friends and teammates point it out... and she listens to them. She's not a dictator who insists its her way or the highway.

It doesn't work; Ironwood cuts her off halfway through with an Ironwood speech soaked with fatalism that leaves Mantle to fend for itself and pushes accountability for Salem's future sacking of Atlas onto Ruby and Penny (never mind the ongoing fall of Mantle).

The bit that always gets me with Ironwoods line here (Which I give mad props to his actor for). He sounds honestly BAFFLED that anyone cares about Mantle now. He's decided it and its people are a non-issue, so why would you even mention it to him?

Also, his bs there has so much 'it's your fault I'm doing terrible things' vibes to it.

Ironwood has a new mech-arm to replace the non-mech one that Watts happened to

So... was his original arm beyond saving? I mean, if that was the case, surely the Doctors would have taken action the previous night, right? Or did he decide that he couldn't wait for it to heal, and ordered them to cut it off? Given that it's unlikely that he's going to be leading any armies from the frontlines of battle, that seems extreme (I know, Ironwood, extreme?). And it makes we wonder... were any of his other prosthetics the result of injuries that could have healed with time, but he was too impatient...?

Ironwood is having a little Ironwood freakout

And winter, who is in a hospital bed, is trying to be reassuring and supportive.

Oh shit, Ironwood just shot one of them.

Yup. And once again, Ironwoods supporters fell all over themselves to justify this as his 'just being logical', because two councilors might be able to deadlock his authority and he can't afford any distractions. Or they might sell Atlas out to Salem. The ones who at least admit that murdering a member of your governments ruling council is wrong tried to claim he shot the wall next to Sleet. No, really. That's the sort of logic even Vine would call bullshit on.

At least the watching Ace Ops (and Winter) seem alarmed.

But the Ace Ops still don't arrest him for outright murder in front of them. Harriet was even in range to grab him, and instead we get a close up of her face afterwards as you see her clearly justifying it to herself. I give Winter a pass because she's in a hospital bed and can't even make a fist without whimpering. If she tried anything, she'd end up dead. The Ace Ops don't have that excuse. They're mildly bruised at most after their attempt to arrest RWBY.

That glyph falls to a chequered floor and shatters. It's a giant chessboard; Salem summons herself onto it and turns the black pieces (familiar imagery) into Grimm, which charge at the other side, where Ironwood stands alone as the white pieces vanish, and then so do all but the square he's standing on. No prizes for getting that symbolism.

She's making the moves... he was never a player.

Thank you Mr. Popo

"I'M SO F*CKING HIGH RIGHT NOW!!"

Out of universe CRWBY have said they split the teams because they wanted to give us a more varied bunch of character interactions we've kind of been needing for a while now.

Those other two Atlas Councillors arrive to ask Ironwood what the h*ck he's playing at with 'no evacuations' and 'martial law'. Oh shit, Ironwood just shot one of them. No debate, no dismissal, not even having them dragged off to the dungeon, just a bullet to the head-height.
As soon as he asked why Ironwood was so afraid.
And it makes we wonder... were any of his other prosthetics the result of injuries that could have healed with time, but he was too impatient...?
Probably not the first, or maybe even second time, but if any of them had someone else make the decision for him, or he saw someone else making the "sacrifice" for a similar wound, I could see that becoming something he idolized over time.

Hm... Given the Whale having landing pads and the convenience of the crystal ball Grimm, while I still hold Salem doesn't have total control over the minds of all Grimm on the planet, it seems she must have some way of shaping their growth at least.

Hm... Given the Whale having landing pads and the convenience of the crystal ball Grimm, while I still hold Salem doesn't have total control over the minds of all Grimm on the planet, it seems she must have some way of shaping their growth at least.
At least for the ones in the pools she's close to and wants to put the effort into, like her army of flying monkeys at the end of volume six.

"... Oh. That's Satan. Ohhhh fuuuuuuuuuu-"
"I sense that I cannot solve this problem by murdering it, and that frightens me." - Neo, probably

I do like this. It shows that people outside the main group are thinking things through, and that while they don't have a long term strategy yet, they are still taking actions to protect people and defend civilians.
It's true, sometimes you need a short-term strategy (...a tactic?) to get to a point where you can have a long-term strategy. The trick is to have them line up.

This bit here, I love. Ruby is freaking out, getting tunnel vision, between events of the past night, trauma, fear, her inexperience compared to people like Ironwood... her friends and teammates point it out... and she listens to them. She's not a dictator who insists its her way or the highway.
This is the "good leadership" part of the Chapter.

Also, his bs there has so much 'it's your fault I'm doing terrible things' vibes to it.
That makes two abusers on the Atlas Council. ...Cursed AU idea: Adam becomes an Atlesian demagogue.

She's making the moves... he was never a player.
I know I said no prizes for getting that symbolism, but that's more symbolism than I got so here's a prize anyway. (The prize is one internet.)

So... was his original arm beyond saving? I mean, if that was the case, surely the Doctors would have taken action the previous night, right? Or did he decide that he couldn't wait for it to heal, and ordered them to cut it off? Given that it's unlikely that he's going to be leading any armies from the frontlines of battle, that seems extreme (I know, Ironwood, extreme?). And it makes we wonder... were any of his other prosthetics the result of injuries that could have healed with time, but he was too impatient...?
Probably not the first, or maybe even second time, but if any of them had someone else make the decision for him, or he saw someone else making the "sacrifice" for a similar wound, I could see that becoming something he idolized over time.
"More metal means less fear!" - Ironwood, probably

Or just fill in your own choice of 40k Mechanicus meme.

Or [the remainder of the Council] might sell Atlas out to Salem.
Like Ironwood isn't doing a bang-up job of that already.

The ones who at least admit that murdering a member of your governments ruling council is wrong tried to claim he shot the wall next to Sleet. No, really. That's the sort of logic even Vine would call bullshit on.
And so do I. The evidence is:
  • Sleet is saying stuff that triggers Ironwood. I'm hardly even exaggerating with the T-word:
    As soon as he asked why Ironwood was so afraid.
  • Ironwood fires a shot horizontally in the direction where Sleet is just outside view, at his (Ironwood's) shoulder height, which is about Sleet's head height (above Camilla's head, who is about a head shorter than Sleet).
  • Sleet is neither seen or heard from again.
Now, you'd understand Sleet might have shut right up mid-word if a bullet went just past him into a wall (which it didn't immediately, because the direction of bullet travel is almost straight along the corridor). I certainly would! But you'd think he might then be let on screen for a reaction shot - unless the reaction shot would show us the new hole in his head.

At least for the ones in the pools she's close to and wants to put the effort into, like her army of flying monkeys at the end of volume six.
I presumed that The Whale was a Salem bespoke project that she created in the same way as the flying Beringels, yes.

"I sense that I cannot solve this problem by murdering it, and that frightens me." - Neo, probably

Her first instinct is to use more murder. And it doesn't work!

I know I said no prizes for getting that symbolism, but that's more symbolism than I got so here's a prize anyway. (The prize is one internet.)

Yay! An internet! Just what I've always wanted! ... It's full of PORN!

To be fair, there's multiple bits of symbolism that can apply to that shot.

"More metal means less fear!" - Ironwood, probably

He did make a comment last volume about how he didn't want to have human emotions like fear last volume, and that often leads to 'embracing the metal' with sci-fi characters. Meanwhile, the most metal character in the show is also the most human.

Like Ironwood isn't doing a bang-up job of that already.

Well, you know how Ironwood dislikes people eyeing off his job...

I'm hardly even exaggerating with the T-word:

You really aren't. As I put it elsewhere one time;

"I am not afraid! I am calm, in control, AND I WILL SHOOT THE NEXT PERSON WHO EVEN IMPLIES I MIGHT BE FEELING THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF FEAR!"

Now, you'd understand Sleet might have shut right up mid-word if a bullet went just past him into a wall (which it didn't immediately, because the direction of bullet travel is almost straight along the corridor). I certainly would! But you'd think he might then be let on screen for a reaction shot - unless the reaction shot would show us the new hole in his head.

Yeah, people had to be deliberately ignoring basic narrative concepts for that theory to work. "They didn't show us the body, so clearly he was alive!" doesn't work like that. The claim was that CRWBY was lying to the viewer to make James out to be some sort of villain. As though he hadn't shot a teenage boy for disagreeing with him an episode earlier... But then, they also liked to claim that he HAD to remove Oz as a threat, and that he didn't KNOW Oscar would run out of aura and get blasted off the ledge...

I presumed that The Whale was a Salem bespoke project that she created in the same way as the flying Beringels, yes.

Do you think she installed a hot tub?

Last edited:
V08C02 Refuge

V08C02 Refuge

I'm not going to feel much nostalgia for this title sequence, either. I can just tell. Someone slipped me a lyric video with which I can confirm that this is shaping up to be the second coming of Volume 3. I have also been informed that the face seen in chalk is Penny's, which is, uh, Concerning.

Qrow and Robyn may be getting along in the titles, but I'm guessing that'll take some character development from here, because 'here' is Qrow just staring at Clover's emblem (which somehow he's been allowed to keep) while Robyn tells him it was all his fault.

Oh, correction, Robyn isn't even thinking about Qrow. She's addressing Jacques, who continues to be Jacques about it all, ending up in accusing Qrow of murdering Clover. Robyn doesn't believe that for a second. Go Robyn! Eventually her responding rant cues in Watts, who also has a cell here. What even is this cell block allocation.

Jacques gloats about his legal team, because he has no way of knowing they're useless now. At this point some guards enter and retrieve Watts from his cell, one punching him when he feebly gives them lip (who the h*ck do I root for here?). Goodness knows what for.

Qrow reckons, contrary to Robyn being a little fatalistic, that they can "kill the man who put us here". I sorta hope they mean Tyrian.

The fade implies they do, in fact, mean Ironwood. From there we go to some news coverage from in Mantle that is honestly being a little irresponsible - one does not simply say "Truly, it feels like the end of days." when, as you've just told everybody, the military's inexplicably gone, the evacuation to safety has stopped, and the biggest Grimm horde anybody's ever heard of is lurking outside.

Here's Joanna, so this reporter probably either gets the report hijacked or gets punched out. ...The former. Joanna waves the metaphorical Happy Huntress flag and tells everybody to head for the Crater. (They call it Mantle Crater, but I think it should be called Atlas Crater because it's where Atlas was.) This is the backdrop for Team APRY to enter Pietro's place and take out the robots stationed there.

Props to the news camera operator for letting Joanna talk. Or maybe it's a camera drone. Joanna wraps up and roughly returns the microphone to the cowed reporter.

Jaune and Yang open a door at the pharmacy and are implied to find the new toys Pietro was making for them. Yang here is more excited than I've seen anyone since Ruby found a can of beans. On the other hand, that's kind of a low bar.

Bar very cleared: these are hoverbikes. Yang is pleased as punch to have a bike again. Oscar suffers for it on the ensuing joyride.

Ren shoots out a camera before it can spot him (and probably the rest of Team APRY). The others get a mini-montage of coordinating evacuees.

Yang is literally not quite finished saying five syllables about how Atlas Crater is a safe place to go when two Grimm demonstrate that Mantle is not a safe place to stay. Jaune deploys his new toy: a 'grenade' that deploys a hardlight shield. This keeps the Grimm in place for Ren to drop in and kill them effortlessly. Jaune reckons this is better than a hoverbike. I think he's got sour grapes from not being great at driving them: they both have uses, and they'd both be terrible at covering for the other.

It concerns the team that Grimm are either pushing this far in already (since the military left) or still around from last night's !!festivities!! (you're telling me it was less than twenty-four hours ago that the dinner party happened?!). Ren isn't optimistic about his chances of masking everyone all the way out, but the others think he should try, at least to keep the mood up (which will itself help).

Yang now has to break it to some vaguely-racist old lady that she's not getting to Atlas like she wants, so she might as well get along with those she's stuck with.

As the group proceeds through Mantle under masking, Oscar has another exchange of thoughts with Ozpin about trying to get people to cooperate, e.g. getting Ozpin to be quiet for a moment. Ozpin apologises for leaving; Oscar explains that actually he was starting to feel like he didn't have a mental hitchhiker of inevitable death-of-personality for a bit there. And it is still inevitable, regardless of whether either of them wants it (they don't).

Meanwhile at the rim of Atlas Crater, Team RSPBV is getting a bit of a pep talk from May. It is counterproductive in Nora's case because she is reminded that Ren is on Team APRY.

They are in a distribution centre of Snowshoe Shipping, an SDC subsidiary - meaning that Ironwood isn't in charge of these robots. They will apparently be riding pneumatic tubes. (I think I recall some safety warnings about that from my youth spent reading signs.) Some fun is had at Weiss' expense about the SDC's sheer economic weight.

As they split up and search for the tube to military headquarters, Penny and Ruby talk about Penny's misgivings about needing to oppose Ironwood and Winter. Penny has been deeply hurt by Ironwood's words over the phone last Chapter. Fortunately, even the modern less-cheery Ruby has enough cheer to spare some. It's good to have a member of the Penny Polendina Protection Squad on that side of the fourth wall.

Nora has found the right tube. (May definitely has an invisibility Semblance.) Nora, having sent Weiss off first, reckons it looks like great fun. That's Nora for you.

Atlas Crater probably contains more people than it has for a long time. In a nondescript tent somewhere, Fiona runs dispatch for whatever unholy grand coalition of pseudo- and paramilitary forces is doing their best to keep everyone safe. She reckons Joanna should have a turn "after flexing on the news like that". I guess 2020 is recently enough that "flexing" was in the popular vocabulary...

Team APRY arrive with the former occupants of Mantle sector 7. Fiona is overjoyed to hear that sector 7 is clear already, then puts her foot solidly in her mouth by mentioning Team RSPBV. Now Yang's angry and Ren's stalking off.

Oscar asks the important questions: where's everyone going to live now that they're here? Fiona explains to him (and us) that a fair bit of sheltered space is liveable, and teams are working to make somewhat liveable conditions in former mine shafts. Joanna is briefer about the heating situation: fortunately there's less space to heat with everyone in close quarters, and plenty of Dust to loot to do it with. The next major problem - beyond food, which isn't mentioned yet but they'll have to plan for it pretty soon - is the Grimm siege, which weighs on even her mind.

A man soon identified as Fiona's uncle reports that "another" fight is breaking out; Joanna goes to handle it, telling Fiona to concentrate on her domain of responsibility. Speaking of which, scouts report Grimm approaching from the east. Fortunately for Fiona, (most of) Team APRY is here and can go handle that.

Yang leads at least one flying Grimm on a merry hoverbike chase. On another bike, Ren (oh good, they found him) is driving and Oscar is riding along. I'm guessing Oscar insisted on not riding with Yang ever again. Neptune would sympathise.

Yang leads the Grimm into a crossroads; Ren drives in between them and Oscar throws what looks like some kind of grenade behind them. It explodes with absolutely perfect timing to knock the Grimm into a bridge overhead. Between the explosion, that impact, and the ensuing impact with the road below, it's not dead, but it's dazed and mad. Cue Jaune on his bike to h*cking joust the thing to death. He nearly falls off afterwards, but he's fine, and he would have been fine. Jaune's starting to get the hang of these things.

At Yang's report of mission success, Fiona tells them to head to the opposite side of the crater to provide backup, because the Grimm are getting pretty thick on the ground there. Oscar tells us that all the negativity in Atlas Crater is peeling off stragglers from the siege. Ren has to tell them that there are still Grimm here - a new attack wave is heading for them. Then it turns around and leaves just as fast as it was coming, which scares everybody because they have no idea why it happened - and what you don't know most definitely can hurt you.

Oscar has just enough time to wonder what the Grimm turned around and ran fro- before the Grimm that Salem tasked last Chapter drops in and starts working him over. It makes short work of his Aura and his consciousness before reshaping itself (that's icky) from quadruped to armed biped so it has arms with which to abduct him.

Yang makes an attack run on her hoverbike. The Grimm shoves Oscar in her way so she has to cancel, before using its other new hand to grab her and throw her into a wall some distance away. Ren now opens fire, which accomplishes approximately nothing, before trying for a melee attack, with similar results to when Yang tried it.

As Jaune prepares his own charge into melee, Yang sees the pattern: it's very clearly using Oscar as a shield. Jaune's pretty sure Grimm don't work that way, but this one definitely is because it's doing it to Ren again.
Ren: "Give him back!"

Grimm: (reshapes mouth) "No."
If you thought they were unnerved before, they're scared and baffled that a Grimm talked. The Grimm in question walks off to the end of the street and puts Oscar down. None of them dare to try to shoot at it, or they're too shocked. It reshapes again, growing wings(!). Inexplicably Winged Grimm! Title sequence foreshadowing strikes again! (Implications unpleasant.)

As the Grimm leaps into the air and leaves with Oscar, Fiona would like to know what they're doing instead of going to help out the west side, and could they reprioritise. It's going to take some explaining, it is. Yang doesn't even try to explain, literally pulling the "You wouldn't believe me if I told you" card. They can about pace the thing on their hoverbikes - as long as it keeps flying in line with the road. Now is it smart enough to realise that, and if so, how long will it string them along?

Credits: Some of these minor-character voice actors sound familiar, but I'm tired so I'm not going to check them. There's a whole wiki for that.

(And so the last thing I ever watched on the Rooster Teeth website was Oscar getting abducted followed by me being tired. How thematic.)

Next time: Terrible computer security at all nine OSI network layers.

Oh, correction, Robyn isn't even thinking about Qrow. She's addressing Jacques, who continues to be Jacques about it all, ending up in accusing Qrow of murdering Clover. Robyn doesn't believe that for a second. Go Robyn! Eventually her responding rant cues in Watts, who also has a cell here. What even is this cell block allocation.
My guess? Ironwood's isolating all the people who know things he doesn't want to get out in one wing of the prison, away from normal prisoners, and putting as many guards as possible around that one section.

Also, Dumb RWBY had a good gag with that final Grimm.

Last edited:
At this point some guards enter and retrieve Watts from his cell, one punching him when he feebly gives them lip (who the h*ck do I root for here?).

Neither. Police brutality is always a bad sign. It's why Robyn quickly forces down her own smile at seeing the bastard get decked.

(you're telling me it was less than twenty-four hours ago that the dinner party happened?!)

Pretty sure it's still morning. It may be less than twelve hours.

Yang now has to break it to some vaguely-racist old lady that she's not getting to Atlas like she wants, so she might as well get along with those she's stuck with.

I always approve of racists being told to sit down and shut up.

They are in a distribution centre of Snowshoe Shipping, an SDC subsidiary - meaning that Ironwood isn't in charge of these robots.

But the dust goes straight to the military. Yes, this is where Atlas gets all its dust for the shields. The shields they're going to need to keep the air in if James gets to implement Operation: YEET like he wants. But remember, Mantle is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to his plans... I don't think he's thought this through.

It's good to have a member of the Penny Polendina Protection Squad on that side of the fourth wall.

Ruby was the founder, after all.

Nora has found the right tube.

Pause when she hits the button. It's a great Weiss moment. The fndm memed the hell out of it.

beyond food, which isn't mentioned yet but they'll have to plan for it pretty soon

I suspect at least one of the police or huntsman teams is hitting a supermarket.

reshaping itself (that's icky)

Meet the Hound. He's made of goo! And that's the least weird and horrifying thing about him!

None of them dare to try to shoot at it, or they're too shocked.

It was smart enough to use Oscar as a shield once already, after all.

literally pulling the "You wouldn't believe me if I told you" card.

I mean, talking grimm!

(And so the last thing I ever watched on the Rooster Teeth website was Oscar getting abducted followed by me being tired. How thematic.)

... Ha. Yeah, that's.... yeah.

Last edited:
What's a really nice touch is if you go back and look, you can see the Hound in several shots in the background. It's been following Team Yang the entire chapter...

V08C03 Strings

V08C03 Strings

Having had three weeks for the titles to percolate, some more thoughts:
  • Yang is on a hoverbike.
  • Amity is clearly positioned as a thing being fought over. Penny then joins it. Given Penny and Pietro being juxtaposed with Watts just earlier, I have Concerns. To go with, y'know, all my other Concerns.
  • On the other hand, it seems that Teams APRY and RSPBV may reconcile, if Ruby and Yang's shared nod is anything to go by.
  • Ruby drops Crescent Rose as she falls into the crevasse.
  • No fifth weapon appears in the last chalk shot - it's just dust clouds kicked up by the impacts.

Okay, so. Is this a thunderstorm or a gunfight we're hearing? Pained noise from Ruby suggests probably gunfight. No, wait, it must be the sound of travelling in a pneumatic tube. There's a reason they put safety warnings on those things!

May and Penny do indeed help Ruby out of a pneumatic tube. Nora tries to convince Weiss that "it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience" even through her own lingering pain; I was expecting Weiss to make the standard retort of 'certainly not doing it twice', but it is left to Blake instead.

Penny-vision! Penny determines exactly which route to take to get to Ironwood's terminal, and is understandably unimpressed by May not using her name.

May invisibles them all up and they start walking.

Team RSPBV+M takes a lift. There is a close call when two soldiers get in the lift. This implies that May's invisibility bubble is very selective: instead of just making everything inside transparent to everything outside, it can be tuned to treat some of the things inside as being outside. I have thoughts about why they're not taking stairs or something: On the one hand, it might be weird for security cameras to see (nobody) entering/exiting a stairwell if the stairwell has doors (which it probably does in a high-security area like this one). On the other hand, same applies to a lift. On the extra hand, entering/exiting a lift at the same time others do would mitigate that; on the matching extra hand, aside from needing to hope that others would exit on the right floor, the gang wouldn't react nearly as sharply to someone else walking into the lift if they'd entered with some other someone else... In total, they seemingly just have to hope that nobody's paying attention to (nobody) calling and using a lift. Case in point, these two guards, who appear to be on edge from the whole being-besieged-by-Salem thing.

Nora, last out of the lift, does not help matters much by pressing every button on her way by. I know it felt good in the moment, but do you really want to risk these two reporting the 'lift malfunction' and some computer tech unravelling your tapestry? The invisibility isn't actually perfect, especially in motion, and anyone who looks at a camera feed of the lift panel at the moment of 'malfunction' may well see the haze.

Subtitles: "(spy music)". (I know there's subtitle data here, because I can see it in a transcript pane if I ask for it. I just can't see it as subtitles, which is slightly irritating - I have to go back and read the transcript pane later to fill in anything good I missed.)

Penny hacks a security scanner. ...Or just presents Pietro's credentials in a way I wasn't expecting. Ruby, being Ruby, sees any sign of Penny's synthetic nature as being very cool.

Next step on the route: right through the fully-staffed central command room. Trying to run that gauntlet would overtax May's ability to tune her Semblance. Fortunately, Penny has planned for this:
Harriet reckons Ruby's Semblance isn't a pure speed Semblance, based on her (Harriet's) experience with those.
As Penny now infodumps, it's technically not! Ruby's Semblance is to turn into a petal cloud and have that cloud behave in ways that defy little things like our understanding of physics, i.e. go real fast because it doesn't have mass. Penny knows from long ago (just before Ruby found out about Penny's synthetic nature) that Ruby can take passengers, also massless. So, reckons Penny, Ruby can whisk all of them through the danger zone. I worry that Penny isn't accounting for other factors, like volume, or air resistance.

Blake is a bit weirded out that Penny figured this out before Ruby did. Ruby retorts that Penny was the first of them to figure out that Blake is a faunus. Early-continuity references coming thick and fast recently.

Ironwood walks in to somewhere - is this the same central command room? (no) - and apologises for being delayed.

WATTS. WHAT.

Ironwood, what the hell are you playing at?

As someone who had Opinions on these characters already and works with high-value computers for a living, this scene makes me absolutely livid. I probably don't have to explain how the Opinions interact with this (but I will ask if Ironwood has lost his tiny little mind even more than previously apparent). The thing about any skilled professional field is that it looks pretty inscrutable to amateurs without professions in that field. Doubly so with engineering, where, as one documentary I watched put it, "we live in an age where engineers can destroy cities by accident". Triply so with computers; put your hand up if computing is basically magic to you (raises hand) ...what? I'm a software guy, I don't claim to have any understanding of hardware beyond how not to accidentally fry it. Point is, you wouldn't believe how easy it is for someone trusted to sabotage a computer system in ways that are difficult for even their co-workers to detect and even more difficult to prove weren't mistakes. The oversight on Watts here is four armed guards and occasionally Ironwood, none of whom are computing professionals (unless any of those guards are more qualified than they appear, and even then they can't see anything much on Watts' screens). If Watts wanted to slip some more malware in (or just nuke and pave the whole system) to help Salem sow chaos and/or division, the gates are wide open. Ironwood is betting Atlas on thinking that anything Watts does against the plan (whatever it is) will be obvious enough to blow his head off before he can do it, which I am thoroughly qualified to tell you you should not bet (even a skilled professional watcher might not be quick enough to raise the alarm if someone trusted goes for the ol' rm -rf /*); and that the threat of having his head blown off will dissuade him from trying, which we know enough about him to know is probably a safe assumption, but how sure is Ironwood of that, exactly? Remember when Ironwood had not enough conniptions that Cinder (not that he knew it was Cinder) got her blackened hands on the CCTS main terminal? He's super not having enough conniptions about actively letting Watts (who he knows damn well is Watts, minion of Salem) get his blackened hands on the cyber-keystone of Atlas' defences against the unprecedented apocalyptic horde of Grimm at the gates.

It is at this moment that Watts gets to flag to Ironwood that Pietro's credentials have been used in the military headquarters. Oh dear, this will be trouble.

It is trouble. Ironwood locks down the headquarters. Team RSPBV+M can't even retreat - the pneumatic tubes are included in the lockdown. May proposes withdrawing to a hangar and stealing an aircraft; Penny counter-proposes yielding to the sunk cost fallacy, which I'm pretty sure is going to carry the day.

Nora has a plan. (braces self)

The invisible bundle of people sneaks into the command room through a door by which someone is leaving. (This is a real thing - called "tailgating". Real-world perpetrators have to rely on social invisibility rather than physical invisibility.) One of them then trips a passing tech (their boot has to be visible to do it - why?), causing him to spill coffee all over at least one console (that looks expensive) and its operator (that looks painful). This causes a Disturbance™ - food and drink are not allowed in the room anyway. Everybody berates this guy for a long history of workplace transgressions, this being merely the latest, creating a sufficient distraction for a petal cloud to fly along the opposite edge of the room and whisk Team RSPBV to their next destination. (It worked!) Did they leave May behind? ...Ah, it must have been just May that snuck in under invisibility.

(One of the things shouted at the tech is that they're "in late all the time", which was confusing until I realised they meant arriving late rather than leaving late.)

Blake is not thrilled about this mode of transport either. Weiss' facial expression indicates she might agree. They appear to be outvoted.

Next step on the route: basically, whoever designed this hallway watched Pixar's The Incredibles just beforehand. At the end is a door so secure it's electrified. Penny switches it off and opens the door.

Yep, this is absolute supervillain base design in here.

The door closes behind them and re-electrifies. Nora glances aside at it. Hey, isn't her Semblance absorbing electricity? What could possibly go wrong?

Penny sits at the central supervillain terminal and lets Pietro remote-control her, which freaks Ruby out a bit. This shot of Penny's right eye changing (to yellow) to indicate remote control bears disturbing similarities to that chalk drawing in the titles of Penny's right eye changing (to red, the standard colour of evil robotics).

If this process is so complicated, how does Ironwood ever do it? Or has Ironwood just not tried it from here since before it was made complicated, thus making his terminal in the Academy the single point of failure that this alternate terminal was meant to prevent?

While this is happening, Team SBV have a conference. Blake eventually reaches a point where spinning in an expensive (and likely superfluous - why does this room have so many other terminals in it? is it an entire backup command room?) office chair can't distract her from her unease at Ruby and Yang having the kind of fight that Blake can't remember them ever having. The reason for that, Blake, is that you went off to Menagerie where you couldn't see them fight like this on Patch. Weiss and Nora also didn't see any fighting on Patch, but Weiss, a middle child, has insight into the situation that Blake (only child) and Nora (family unknown, but probably long dead) do not.

Weiss, is this a projection of being on the opposite side to Winter? I think it is.

Anyway, Nora lists why Team APRY are going to be fine, except she conspicuously leaves out Ren. Faced with wordless judgement, she tries to find redeeming qualities in him, but can't think of any and starts spiralling. Blake tries to help, but I'm not sure if it's working.

Nora isn't sure who she is without Ren. Weiss suggests taking the opportunity to find out: "Do something only Nora can do." This does not really help Nora in the moment.

They all reconvene at the main terminal. (The operator's back is to the door. This is poor design, not just because the operator can't watch the door and the terminal simultaneously, but also the heightened risk of shoulder-surfing, which I assure you is the real technical term for why password fields only show you little circles.) Pietro was remoting in to do complicated things because this is not the usual use case for the terminal: the plan, carried out, is to clone the entire thing onto Penny. When Amity requests authorisation to launch, Penny will be closest, and can now masquerade as Ironwood's terminal and send that authorisation before anybody at either of the two physical terminals can countermand it.

Pietro now suggests amending the plan: instead of then returning to Mantle to assist with evacuation, Penny should stay on Amity as it launches. Ruby and Weiss agree, on the grounds that Penny can't be abused into opening the Creation Vault if she's nowhere near it. Penny looks torn. Blake defuses the situation by suggesting that they have that conversation later, once they've escaped the headquarters.

Penny seems to have accepted the new plan as she opens the door back out. Waiting on the other side are the (surviving) Ace Ops.

Wow, Weiss grew some (metaphorical) claws.

Vine is not nearly as good a hostage negotiator as he thinks he is. Or maybe it's an act he's putting on.

Suffice to say that the Ace Ops are out here pushing all of Penny's buttons: blaming her for Winter's injuries (which they're playing up), again pushing accountability onto her for anything that happens to Atlas and/or Mantle (nice of them to remember that Mantle exists, except not, because that's just to push the "Protector of Mantle" button), and shutting down Ruby by throwing Qrow's jailing at her. This all goads Penny to be the first out the door, at which point it shuts, locks, and re-electrifies. Now Penny is on one side with a severe numerical disadvantage - the one way the Ace Ops can win fights - and the rest of Team RSBV on the other with no door-opener.

Penny gives an excellent showing, but she's busy being angry, she's new to the Maidenship, and there are four of them. Despite having ten swords, she repeatedly fixates on one target, then gets blindsided by another one, allowing the first to recover. I'm getting flashbacks to flailing around trying to play Grimm Eclipse. I got better; Penny doesn't have time or respawns to.

At one point Marrow would have fallen off the pointless supervillain-architecture bridge if it weren't for Vine grabbing him.

Back in the terminal room, Trailer Knight despawns without having accomplished anything at all against the electrified door. Weiss reckons the Ace Ops are "cowards" for needing a 4:1 numerical advantage, which I agree with. Ruby is optimistic that Penny can hold out for long enough for them to get the door open. Cut back to Penny, who cannot: after a bit more beating, Elm grapples her. The Maiden winter storm stops. But actually Penny was just lulling them into a false sense of security: she blasts herself loose of Elm. Harriet cues Marrow to do something; he knocks Penny off the bridge. Too bad she has rocket boots. Marrow does what they probably wanted him to do the first time and Stays her, which works just fine. The fight would have been shorter if he'd done that at the start, and the fact I thought of that faster than they did speaks ill of their training in taking down single targets. Clearly these are not actually Atlas' actual finest, just their finest bootlickers.

Nora runs out of patience for being stuck in the terminal room and eats the lightning: she siphons the electrified door for multiple seconds, at implied extreme pain due to Semblance overclocking. This charges her up enough to smash right through the door, making a mess of Elm's attempt to tie Penny up with more of those bolas. As the Ace Ops pick themselves up from under the former door, Nora's empowerment fades, but the wounds behind it do not; then her Aura breaks and she falls over without even a heavy noise.

(Ironwood curses the loss of their big chance, but Watts has a plan. Oh dear.)

The Ace Ops no longer have their numerical advantage (even with Nora spark out), and Penny is mad enough to summon a thunderstorm. Harriet objects to Ironwood's message (unheard), but Marrow acknowledges it. Vine evades Penny's charge back into combat and sweeps Team RSB off the bridge, using the gap Marrow had Penny make in the railing earlier; Ruby just manages to hook Crescent Rose on the edge of the bridge. Weiss grabs on to Ruby (and Blake on to Weiss), but then loses her grip, and Ruby has to Semblance to get them. Meanwhile, the Ace Ops have their 4:1 advantage back, and Penny must be at least partially worried about protecting Nora.

By the time Team RSB return by petal cloud (poor Blake), Harriet has stolen one of Penny's swords. (Ow.) The Ace Ops all leave with their ill-gotten gain by jumping off the bridge (???). Blake and Weiss agree with me that "that was very suspicious".

Penny must have some magic rockets to be able to hover that close to Nora without any noticeable jetwash (either heat or wind).

While all of this was going on, May did manage to rustle up an escape craft for them. She's taken aback at Nora's condition as Team RSPBV arrive at the hangar, and understandably so.

What, does Nora not even warrant being laid on a bench? The temporary invalid just gets left on the floor? C'mon, you lot. Anyway, Ruby and Penny are adorasad, and then Penny leaves for presumably Amity, which doesn't help with the sadness in-universe. Meanwhile, the Ace Ops present the stolen sword to Ironwood and Watts. I have a very bad feeling about that.

Next time: Ow, ow, ow, ow!

I was expecting Weiss to make the standard retort of 'certainly not doing it twice', but it is left to Blake instead.

Given Blake has four eardrums, I'm not surprised she got shaken up the most.

I have thoughts about why they're not taking stairs or something

Now that I think about it, does the fancy high tech Atlas military command even HAVE stairs?

Ruby, being Ruby, sees any sign of Penny's synthetic nature as being very cool.

Ruby is a tech geek. This is often a major detail of Nuts And Dolts shipping.

Blake is a bit weirded out that Penny figured this out before Ruby did. Ruby retorts that Penny was the first of them to figure out that Blake is a faunus. Early-continuity references coming thick and fast recently.

I'm not so sure that was a weirded out expression. That was a 'giving Ruby shit' expression.

WATTS. WHAT.

Ironwood, what the hell are you playing at?

Yup. The sheer SCREAMING this scene drew from the fandom when it came out. Even if he has no one as talented as Pietro to turn to, even a less skilled programmer would be miles safer than fucking WATTS. And the best bit? People noticed how Watts flinched the moment Ironwood put his hands on his shoulders, in a not at all subtle display of his power over the man. A lot of people wondered if Watts got battered a lot more after being dragged out of his jail cell last episode. Ironwood is using threats of violence, and possibly the reminder of already committed violence, to force Watts into obedience. A man who screwed over the entire planet out of petty ego. It's a great display of how blunt Ironwood is now that basic decency is out the window, and how STUPID he can be now that he's obsessing over one goal.

And that's the other thing. All of this here, is obsessing over one goal. Not to hold Salem off or defeat her. But to get Penny. In his blind dedication to implementing Operation: YEET, he's turning all his attention to Penny, while trusting the city defenses to keep Salem out. The city defenses he just gave Salems agent access to, with nothing but some random mooks who likely know nothing about computers to watch over him.

Nora has a plan. (braces self)

Honestly, it's a good one.

One of them then trips a passing tech (their boot has to be visible to do it - why?),

I think that's more sticking her leg out of the bubble so the viewer knows what happened.

This causes a Disturbance™ - food and drink are not allowed in the room anyway. Everybody berates this guy for a long history of workplace transgressions, this being merely the latest,

One of the complaints is salmon in the lunch room microwave. Our heroes choice of fall guy was perfect, and he deserves everything that happened to him as a result.

Blake is not thrilled about this mode of transport either.

She is not having a fun time with alternate transportation methods this episode.

Yep, this is absolute supervillain base design in here.

"Hans, are we the baddies?"

Nora glances aside at it. Hey, isn't her Semblance absorbing electricity? What could possibly go wrong?

Hey Chekhov, what's this gun doing here?

Penny sits at the central supervillain terminal and lets Pietro remote-control her, which freaks Ruby out a bit.

I love the wordless conversation with Ruby and Weiss in the background.

"What the fuck?"
"What the fuck."

Blake eventually reaches a point where spinning in an expensive (and likely superfluous - why does this room have so many other terminals in it? is it an entire backup command room?) office chair can't distract her from her unease at Ruby and Yang having the kind of fight that Blake can't remember them ever having. The reason for that, Blake, is that you went off to Menagerie where you couldn't see them fight like this on Patch. Weiss and Nora also didn't see any fighting on Patch, but Weiss, a middle child, has insight into the situation that Blake (only child) and Nora (family unknown, but probably long dead) do not.

Honestly, I love that the single kids, who've only seen Ruby and Yang disagreeing over small stuff at most, make such a big deal over something I suspect the sisters aren't really worried about on a personal level. Once it was decided to have two teams handle two problems, that was that as far as Ruby and Yang are concerned. And Weiss has seen the sort of sibling arguments that involve nuking bridges, she knows it's not a big deal.

Also, Blake spinning in the chair is adorable. BORED KITTY.

Vine is not nearly as good a hostage negotiator as he thinks he is.

Vine not being as smart or reasonable as he thinks he is is really one of his defining traits throughout his appearances.

again pushing accountability onto her for anything that happens to Atlas and/or Mantle

Because it can't possibly be the fault of the councilor murdering coward they're all following...

At one point Marrow would have fallen off the pointless supervillain-architecture bridge if it weren't for Vine grabbing him.

From a blow from his teammates. The Ace Ops REALLY don't know how to teamwork at all.

she blasts herself loose of Elm

GET FUCKED ELM

Clearly these are not actually Atlas' actual finest, just their finest bootlickers.

Yup. They're the best in the Atlas military. Everyone else told Ironwood where to shove it.

Nora runs out of patience for being stuck in the terminal room and eats the lightning: she siphons the electrified door for multiple seconds, at implied extreme pain due to Semblance overclocking. This charges her up enough to smash right through the door, making a mess of Elm's attempt to tie Penny up with more of those bolas. As the Ace Ops pick themselves up from under the former door, Nora's empowerment fades, but the wounds behind it do not; then her Aura breaks and she falls over without even a heavy noise.

Yup, Nora found her limit, punched through it, and paid the personal price. But it also saved Penny. A reminder that sometimes, you do have to be willing to make the sacrifice play. Of course, here the sacrifice made was her own choice, and she paid the price herself. Ironwoods 'Hard Choices' have had neither of those.

Ironwood curses the loss of their big chance,

Hey, at least he knows Team Boot Polish is no match for actual huntresses.

Watts has a plan. Oh dear.

Don't worry Ironwood, I'm sure it will be entirely to your benefit and not screw you over. Also, I found a great deal you should invest in, it's called NFTs!

Meanwhile, the Ace Ops present the stolen sword to Ironwood and Watts. I have a very bad feeling about that.

It's finnnnne....

Ironwood is betting Atlas on thinking that anything Watts does against the plan (whatever it is) will be obvious enough to blow his head off before he can do it, which I am thoroughly qualified to tell you you should not bet (even a skilled professional watcher might not be quick enough to raise the alarm if someone trusted goes for the ol' rm -rf /*); and that the threat of having his head blown off will dissuade him from trying, which we know enough about him to know is probably a safe assumption,
To be fair to Ironwood, it only has to be one or the other. If the threat of being shot after screwing things up is enough to dissuade Watts from trying they won't need to spot what he's doing in time to stop him.

It's still a terrible plan but that OR makes it less terrible than the AND does. It's an insane risk given the stakes involved, though.

Last edited:
To be fair to Ironwood, it only has to be one or the other. If the threat of being shot after screwing things up is enough to dissuade Watts from trying they won't need to spot what he's doing in time to stop him.

It's still a terrible plan but that OR makes it less terrible than the AND does.

That's assuming whatever he does is triggered immediately, and not ten minutes later when he's being escorted back to his cell and all the lights go out.

Now that I think about it, does the fancy high tech Atlas military command even HAVE stairs?
Not having it would certainly fit the standard belief that nothing is going to go wrong they have. Or that they might not have as many as they should at least.
There has got to be a snappier name for this phenomenon that 'we have lifts, we don't need stairs!'. Like, have you ever seen a few thousand people get back into an office building after a fire drill? My office building is generally still a little less populated these days than it was on the other side of 2020, and is unusually short and squat for a high-ish-capacity building, but it still takes about forever to load everyone back in with the frustratingly slow lifts and the one stairwell between Ground and 1. At least I'm not still next door - poor bastards have no stairs off Ground.

I'm not so sure that was a weirded out expression. That was a 'giving Ruby shit' expression.
This is a clear indication that it was a mistake changing back to the picture-in-picture player (for ease of note-taking; smaller and doesn't support subtitles, but that doesn't matter because they don't work anyway anymore) and/or that I don't get out much. Except that in this case I hadn't changed back to the picture-in-picture player yet, so.

I think that's more sticking her leg out of the bubble so the viewer knows what happened.
There were, technically (not sure about practically), other ways to indicate this, such as putting the camera inside the bubble again.

One of the complaints is salmon in the lunch room microwave. Our heroes choice of fall guy was perfect, and he deserves everything that happened to him as a result.
I had to look up what the problem with this was. Search results abound for the ease and reliability of perfectly-cooked salmon; the smelly consequences of basically breaking down all the fat at once are usually hidden well below the fold.

Back