IWIW RWBY

If the two of you would kindly stop making me feel sorry for Cinder. (/s, mostly)
I'll try but she is fascinating and tragic XD
Best older sister, honestly.
This.
The joke is that they were handcuffs? What? Well, I guess it's technically correct, which is the best kind of correct...
Futrama reference, excellent. Also gosh people had 'fun' with that joke at the time XD
Weiss is sitting at the desk writing to Winter, which makes this the first mention of Chibi Winter.
"Loathing, complete unadulterated loathing!" XD
As did I XD
There's so many layers to this joke alone, I love it.
But she can cause you to be hurt.
and the hiding is nowhere near done...
I love it ending with the giant lazer gun being drawn XD
So much fun
I can feel some more flopping around on the desk in Ruby's future...
"You made me do this! You made me do this!"
YouTube has recommended me somebody's video essay from 2016 on what they think happened to Remnant's moon. I'm not one to watch random video essays, but I'm guessing it will have aged badly.
Oh gosh that was probably before the Relics even!
Pyrrha is idly spinning a spoon without touching it.
Love the casual use of powers.
(Is this board game foreshadowing Oscar? Probably.)
Possibly, I think others made that joke when Oscar was introduced "As Chibi foretold, compost king!" also a cute scene.
I think that counts as ableist.
Possibly but his legs are also guns so maybe that's the issue.
For maximum comedy, his hat is fine.
XD

Also congrats!
I mean, who accounts for an idiot god being unable to drive?
Darkness: There is a fine line between not knowing how to drive and choosing to drive poorly and right into the moon, I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life.

I will assume that absolute total absence of the channelcruft is the new norm.
It's just luring you into a false sense of security : V

Haven't commented much lately, but the ongoing saga of michaelb958 versus the channelcruft has been quite fun : P

Yang has time to acknowledge "Good game." before Weiss and Blake come hurtling into the room, having heard the magic word which Ruby and Yang now think they ought to rename. I chuckled.
"The floor is lava!"
I think these might be up there in my top ten favorite Chibi skits. Short, simple, and uses the characters well xD

I feel really bad for Mercury in that TSA skit...

Last edited:
I mean, who accounts for an idiot god being unable to drive?
If you think you know the answer, post it to us for a chance to etc etc.

But she can cause you to be hurt.
It's Cinder, she always does that. ( :( )

Oh gosh that was probably before the Relics even!
Yep, V3-4 hiatus.

Love the casual use of powers.
They're teenagers, you can't expect more than about one of them to not do that. And the one is only if you're lucky enough to find them.

This is what happens when you let Atlas dictate the rules that everyone else has to follow for airlines. You'd think 'Huntsman Academy Student' would get a waiver or something.
Not in Chibi it h*cking shouldn't!

It's just luring you into a false sense of security : V
The false sense of security, my eternal nemesis...
(I was just thinking yesterday "ColdGoldLazarus hasn't commented in a while..." and, as if summoned, here you are.)

It's Cinder, she always does that. ( :( )
Cinder: Its all I know!
My, my how time flies... I need time to slow down a bit please XD
They're teenagers, you can't expect more than about one of them to not do that. And the one is only if you're lucky enough to find them.
Oh I love it, in my fics Ruby often just gets to places via Petal Burst cos its faster and Weiss will sometimes use Glyphs to float stuff if its simpler than carrying, ETC. They have these powers, might as well use them XD

Chibi S1E23 A Slip Through Time and Space & S1E24 The One with a Laugh Track New

Chibi S1E23 A Slip Through Time and Space

Sun and Neptune walk along the street where they did a police brutality on Jaune a while back. (This time, the windows of the building alongside them are translucent; the Shopkeeper can be seen inside, sweeping, his other favourite activity.) It turns out this is a callback, as Neptune declares that his "crime-sense" is going off. What horrors await us?

Sun and Neptune flail about trying to appease Neptune's crime-sense. They're absolutely right, but they're too engrossed to realise it: the reason the animators made the windows transparent is so that we can continue to see Torchwick and Neo after they slip into the building.

The dastardly duo continue to avoid noticing the ongoing robbery behind them. C'mon, Ruby had the excuse of wearing headphones.

The dastardly duo from the other side of the law freeze halfway out the door again as Neptune declares that he knows the crime. He walks over to the rubbish bin, shoves it over a little, and declares that it can't have been properly installed. Truth, but allows Torchwick and Neo to make good their escape. Was this Chibi's way of foreshadowing the main show's brutal-political-satire-in-advance?

{#12}

Pyrrha and Yang wander through the courtyard reminiscing about the dance from V2. Y'know, that event that only ever gets remembered for Cinder pwning multiple governments and Jaune changing into a dress, except nobody in-universe even knows about the former. Yang does also remember it for Team JNPR's dance routine from just after that.

Yang compliments Team JNPR on being able to spontaneously come up with that dance routine. Pyrrha sounds like she's lying terribly when she agrees with it, so cue the montage of them practicing. ...Called it.

The Team JNPR of the past does not have their act together at all. Pyrrha has not figured out how to do the start of the dance, Jaune has been flouting the dietary good-ideas necessary to fit into even the outfit he initially planned to wear (ASMR, not even once), Ren is uncompromising about any of this, and Nora has just been brought to tears and not in a good way (after an initial fake-out that it was going to be Jaune).

Cut back to Pyrrha, who is very, very slightly better at lying as she continues.

{#16}

In the kitchen, Ruby prepares to eat a cookie. Has Ruby actually ever managed to eat a cookie on this show? It went badly all three times I can remember... (checks) There were attempts in episodes 1, 13, and 21, none of which succeeded. Neither does this one: Nora startles Ruby into discarding it.

On the bench between them is a bag of ‹REAL CHIBI BEANS›, complete with logo suggesting that it's coffee. Nora would like Ruby to give them to Nora. I'm not sure if the joke will be Nora attempting to conceal something else in her hands (currently obscured below the level of the bench) or the chibi characters having short arms.

As usual, I'm wrong. The joke is Ruby being just slightly too nice to not run through the entire process of making coffee as Nora talks her through it, rather than tell Nora to do it herself. I theorise that Ren has forbidden Nora from undertaking any step of this process and Nora is trying to squirm through a loophole. ...Someone better answer that Scroll, because I called it.

Ren warns that Nora must not be given any more energy courtesy of caffeine. Ruby just tells Ren that "this one's on you". At his confusion, she elaborates that Nora just drank the whole pot.

Nora just shakes on the floor, accompanied by that rumbling sound. We now get the least comprehensible montage that RWBY has ever done: the camera continuously descends into Nora's right pupil to reveal a largely-identical recursive scene, except for the two people standing over her. Outermost in, stage right to stage left:
  1. Ruby and Ren.
  2. Ren and Ruby.
  3. Ren and Ruby, but having swapped outfits.
  4. Blake and Ren.
  5. Blake and Jaune. (By this point Ruby's somewhat melodramatic scream is fading out and Nora's giggling is fading in...)
  6. Neo and Roman.
  7. Neptune and Sun.
  8. Neptune and Sun again, but all (even Nora) wearing Junior Detective fake moustaches just like the Pancake Massacre Interrogation. (The giggling fades out and Ren being concerned is audible.)
  9. Shopkeeper and Ren.
  10. Ruby and Shopkeeper.
  11. Shopkeeper twice.
  12. Neptune and Jaune, both with clipboards.
  13. A cyan screen...
Cyan is Nora's eye colour. The more immediate concern is that, as I was told in general terms to keep an eye out for, here's the world's least-expected live-action scene: Nora is apparently so caffeinated that we now fade through white to I'm guessing her voice actor in a recording booth. Samantha Ireland continues reading Nora's remaining line, then a voice I don't recognise is audible cutting the scene as planned and Miles Luna (Jaune Arc) directs everyone to take a short break. Ireland drinks something out of a mug; I'm guessing it's coffee.

We now return (via Ireland's pupil) to our regularly scheduled programming. Nora wakes up from the floor and says different lines, being weirded out by having "travelled through [...] parallel universes", which does match the visuals we got. Of course Ren and Ruby didn't have nearly enough caffeine to go on the trip with her, so they can't back up her story.

If you weren't 100% watching, like me, you might have missed that Ren responded to Nora in Ruby's voice, rather than Ruby responding. And here's Zwei to walk up, sit down, and ask "You doin' okay, Nora?" in the voice that Nora would recognise as Jaune's.

Nora gives up. There is such a thing as too much caffeine, and we have found it.

According to credits, the voice I didn't recognise is Kerry Shawcross (Neptune Vasilias). Makes sense.

Chibi S1E24 The One with a Laugh Track

I don't actually have a high opinion of laugh tracks. This stems mainly from Year 9 English class. Unlike most things in my life that stem from English class, there was no great trauma here; we just briefly compared a scene each from Gilligan's Island (which did not have a laugh track) and The Brady Bunch (which did). The consensus, at least that I remember noticing (it might have been all in my head), was that Gilligan's Island was secure enough in its writing to trust the audience to know what was meant to be funny.

I also recognise the pattern of this episode title as copied from long-running TV sitcom Friends. Sitcoms are just not my favourite thing, mainly due to continually tripping my very low cringe threshold.

Between these two things, I'm not expecting to have a good time here. Let's find out.

Definitely parodying TV sitcoms of that era, judging by this opening narration. So not full-on canned laughter, but we do have a "live studio audience" providing prerecorded laughter. (This logic cannot work prima facie in an animated show, so it's got to be parody.) In more visual observations, the amount of space in the middle of the Chibi dorm room is so colossal as to make a mockery of the original justification for constructing Team RWBY's bunk beds.

After giving the "audience" (c'mon, it's just as scripted and produced as anything else here) some time to settle down, Weiss finally clears her throat. The "audience" audibly anticipates. This is going to get so tiring.

Weiss keeps clearing her throat because Team RBY keep ignoring her. Eventually Ruby wilfully misinterprets it as a medical issue, cuing our first "audience" laughter. Weiss is basically parodying herself for this one, what with the amount of offense she's taking to Team RBY even silently existing across the room.

Characters playing their own parodies continues as Yang is revealed to be using binoculars to see into the male changing room showers all the way over there. That, or baiting Weiss into revealing that she'd shamelessly join in. Or maybe both. Sadly for Yang, there's only one set of binoculars, which Weiss is now monopolising.

As I was expecting, the first victim of binocular-vision is Professor Port. This is played for laughs, because exactly what else was this skit going to ever do?

Weiss goes right ahead and tempts fate, right there on the rug. Cue Jaune. Naturally, the "audience" cheers. ...Yep, here we go again. At least there's commentary by Ruby.

After striking out messily (as usual), Jaune sees Yang risking the binoculars again. Unwilling to violate the Sleepover Code, Yang just passes it off as "a long story".

Good chance we will now get a pretend ad break. Let's all brace ourselves.

Yep! First off, what's poor Pyrrha selling here? Why did I even ask, it's that cereal. ...Yep. Pyrrha has to pretend to enjoy it. She and I are both dying inside.

Next, Torchwick? What? And Neo. Ah, we're leaning all the way into the ice cream jokes. Totally not poison. /s. I'd have more trust in the cereal not being poison, because I saw someone eat it. Not saying that eating the cereal is a good idea, I'm just saying they didn't even open that ice cream carton...

Sitcom returns. The camera pans rapidly from Team CEMN (and Zwei) on the couches in the common room, manifesting about their usual personalities, to Team RWBY standing in the kitchen. Yang declares the dance, which must have happened during the ad break, to have been a success, and the "audience" (not Team CEMN, probably) finds it unreasonably funny when Yang protests that Ruby stole her line ("Nailed it!").

More "audience" cheering as Sun approaches Blake. I guess the "audience" are straight-shippers or something. Sun poses for them (or maybe Team CEMN, it's not clear) before trying a dumb line on Blake. Stop making it weird, "audience". Blake calls it "the cheesiest thing I've ever heard", which by the laws of comedy guarantees it's just worked. Yep, I'm on a roll today. Stop making it weird, "audience".

Neptune abruptly interposes himself. For comedy purposes, he has completely misunderstood Sun. Sun is dragged off by Neptune, to Blake's disappointment.

Apparently Team JNPR was meant to turn up here. It emerges that Weiss thinks that telling Nora to "bring cake" will accomplish anything useful. Weiss has committed one of the classic blunders.

Hmm, not how I thought. Not sure where Sun got to, but Neptune is at the doorway not yet seen this scene, marvelling at how it is completely blocked by pancakes. He pokes it. Cut away as it all falls on him. Team JPR are visible elsewhere in the pileup; Nora has inexplicably (the explanation is "Nora") climbed over the pile into the kitchen, crowing about having fit through the loophole Weiss left in her request.

Ren asks about using Crescent Rose to help clear the pile of pancakes. I feel he's being a bit cavalier about Team JPR+N's safety, and I also feel that that line felt a bit shoehorned. Sure enough, Ruby's response ends in an even-more-shoehorned "It's also a gun.".

Ruby segues into closing the 'recording'. Oh look, it's the "audience", I really should have expected them. I really should have expected them to all be shadow people.

Cut back to all the non-shadow characters gathering in the common room. Oh hey, the score is a rearrangement of We're All Chibi. I guess there's worse ways to end Chibi Season 1.

I remain indescribably disappointed at not being able to hear best credits music over the ad speech.

Reuploaded:

Chibi S1E23 A Slip Through Time and Space

I will say this much for Chibi, Neptune & Sun being the dumbest of asses was very fitting XD

Also gosh I felt so bad for the team with Ren the hard task master.

The coffee skit was so good, love Ruby's initially none plussed, "This is on you."
Between these two things, I'm not expecting to have a good time here. Let's find out.
Mhm :/

Easily my least favorite episode of all Chibi I think.
"Everything is foreshadowing" is my new madness mantra.
I mean it does fit.

(I was just thinking yesterday "ColdGoldLazarus hasn't commented in a while..." and, as if summoned, here you are.)
(Awww, I was missed. >u< But yeah, life's been life-ing at me fast lately.)

Was this Chibi's way of foreshadowing the main show's brutal-political-satire-in-advance?
I'm not sure this one was intentional foreshadowing so much as similar sensibilities behind the writing, but I could see it. The Junior Detectives skits are always a mixed bag, but a few of them (such as the one about the militarization of cops) do seem to be written with a similar skepticism towards police that went into the themes in Atlas, so it's kinda hard to say for sure.

Ren is uncompromising about any of this
Apparently Ren being the mind behind JNPR's secret dance initiative is a nod to Monty again, which I do like the idea of, but also this particular skit never really lands with me because of that association, since Ren doesn't come off the best here.

In the kitchen, Ruby prepares to eat a cookie. Has Ruby actually ever managed to eat a cookie on this show? It went badly all three times I can remember... (checks) There were attempts in episodes 1, 13, and 21, none of which succeeded. Neither does this one:
Huh, that's a really interesting point, not something I really noticed before, and also not something Chibi itself has drawn attention to. Kind of an impressive level of subtlety for a running gag next to all the other ones they have going on. I kinda wonder if it's a lighthearted poke at the fandom for the whole Cookie/Strawberry favorite food mixup thing.

On that note, I wonder if we'll ever get an actual textual mention of strawberries in reference to Ruby at some point, because as amusing as it is I can't entirely blame people for assuming cookies, given that one has actual representation in the show itself.
Nora gives up. There is such a thing as too much caffeine, and we have found it.

In more visual observations, the amount of space in the middle of the Chibi dorm room is so colossal as to make a mockery of the original justification for constructing Team RWBY's bunk beds.
I wonder how much of that is true in the main show as well, and how much is Chibi-proportioned props throwing everything off, but it is still kinda funny. New headcanon: In the Chibi-verse they had plenty of space, but the bunk beds came into being anyway through some weird and improbable sequence of shenanigans that puts the canonical Wacky Decorating Montage to shame.

This is going to get so tiring.
Yeah. I get what they were going for, but this is one of those skits that feels like it would have either landed way better or at least been less annoying if it had been cut down considerably.

Why did I even ask, it's that cereal. ...Yep. Pyrrha has to pretend to enjoy it. She and I are both dying inside.
While it's an open question how much Chibi stuff does or does not reflect the main canon universe, (because obviously there's a lot that can't, but there's also a lot that could be funny or interesting if it does, and Roman Holiday does cheekily suggest at least a little overlap in vibes/ideas (if not specifics) where post-book, pre-Cinder Roman and Neo are concerned.) I do like to imagine that this is exactly how her actual Pumpkin Pete's sponsorship ads went. Poor girl.

Weiss has committed one of the classic blunders.
1. Never start a land war in Asia
2. Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line
3. Never mention cake (or its pan-based variant) near Nora

"Everything is foreshadowing" is my new madness mantra.
Honestly, every time I rewatch any Chibi something new sticks out to me as a possible piece of weirdly-blatant-yet-impossibly-well-veiled foreshadowing for later show events, sooo honestly this mindset may serve you well in the future. I remember seeing some theories using Chibi skits as "evidence", and I remember at least one or two of them actually coming true, so it makes me have to wonder if there's anything indicative of Volume 10 onward hidden in these little snippets of randomness.

Welcome to the conspiracy board, friend.

Also gosh I felt so bad for the team with Ren the hard task master.
Apparently Ren being the mind behind JNPR's secret dance initiative is a nod to Monty again, which I do like the idea of, but also this particular skit never really lands with me because of that association, since Ren doesn't come off the best here.
He made Nora (and almost Jaune) cry, which is never a good look.

The coffee skit was so good, love Ruby's initially none plussed, "This is on you."
I have a few incredibly specific genres of (fan)fiction that nobody ever does well enough to meet my overly high standards; this kind of metafiction is one of them. Maybe that's why I liked it.

Easily my least favorite episode of all Chibi I think.
Ouch, not fun to end on a bad note like that. Wouldn't know anything about that, wouLD YOU, VOLUME EIGHT?

(Awww, I was missed. >u< But yeah, life's been life-ing at me fast lately.)
I am somewhat familiar with both of those feelings.

I'm not sure this one was intentional foreshadowing so much as similar sensibilities behind the writing, but I could see it. The Junior Detectives skits are always a mixed bag, but a few of them (such as the one about the militarization of cops) do seem to be written with a similar skepticism towards police that went into the themes in Atlas, so it's kinda hard to say for sure.
This reminds me of something I read a little while back (I've forgotten where) about how Rooster Teeth's entire existence was pretty skeptical of high authority, as exemplified by Red vs Blue, which it was making from day one.

Huh, that's a really interesting point, not something I really noticed before, and also not something Chibi itself has drawn attention to. Kind of an impressive level of subtlety for a running gag next to all the other ones they have going on.
Pushing so many obvious jokes that the hidden ones could lurk forever. How devious!

I kinda wonder if it's a lighthearted poke at the fandom for the whole Cookie/Strawberry favorite food mixup thing.

On that note, I wonder if we'll ever get an actual textual mention of strawberries in reference to Ruby at some point, because as amusing as it is I can't entirely blame people for assuming cookies, given that one has actual representation in the show itself.
Between Vacuo being highly desertified and global supply chains being a mess, "I miss strawberries." honestly sounds like something we could get in V10.

New headcanon: In the Chibi-verse they had plenty of space, but the bunk beds came into being anyway through some weird and improbable sequence of shenanigans that puts the canonical Wacky Decorating Montage to shame.
If you told me there was a Chibi skit I had yet to watch that documented that, I would absolutely believe you.

so much as similar sensibilities behind the writing
Honestly I think this would make the most sense all things considered.
Maybe that's why I liked it.
Makes sense.
Ouch, not fun to end on a bad note like that. Wouldn't know anything about that, wouLD YOU, VOLUME EIGHT?
Indeed, it was worsened by the FNDM perceptions at the time so it hung around like a pervasive curse.

Oof, though weirdly I liked the ending of V8, but in a "This hurts so good" way, so a very different kind of 'bad note'.
This reminds me of something I read a little while back (I've forgotten where) about how Rooster Teeth's entire existence was pretty skeptical of high authority, as exemplified by Red vs Blue, which it was making from day one.
I think tat's pretty accurate, I read something similar, where it talked about how the writers and other creators sympathies, and as a result the perspective characters, tended to lie with those who were jerked around by those in charge. There was less interest in the "Evil army of evil" and more in the "These soldiers have no fucking idea what they are doing here or why and are every bit as disposable as the people they were sent to fight." Which I think aligns well over all with their collective body of work. Though I think at different times their handling of it has not always been ideal; overall I think its good but there are exceptions.

Ironically, I am reminded of what a reviewer said the "intent" behind South Park was, IE the perspective of, "The person stuck in traffic".

That is to say, the idea was meant to be perspectives of people who simply didn't "Have time" for stuff like intense politics or activism, be it protesting a war, or advocating on their own behalf, or being extremists, cos they were stuck in traffic being held up by ant of the aforementioned groups doing a protest.

The issue with that of course is that people can't choose if they have time to be political when their existence is already politicized, IE various discriminated against minorities, making it an already rather privileged stance. While another was the writers philosophy not really sticking to that and instead going into a sort of "Everyone is dumb but us" route, along with a lot of general mean spirited-ness and "its funny cos its horrible" stuff.

So like, trying for a similar tone/theme, but failing at least last I checked in on the series.... Not really sure where I was going with this to be honest. Um, Red VS Blue is better than South Park, don't @ me XD

Between Vacuo being highly desertified and global supply chains being a mess, "I miss strawberries." honestly sounds like something we could get in V10.
Sudden thought, Ruby was deeply disappointed the strawberry shaped cheese wasn't just a strawberry XD

Oof, though weirdly I liked the ending of V8, but in a "This hurts so good" way, so a very different kind of 'bad note'.
We are clearly not the same; I'm just not a big fan of the hurt.

Not really sure where I was going with this to be honest. Um, Red VS Blue is better than South Park, don't @ me XD
I'd absolutely believe you, too.

Sudden thought, Ruby was deeply disappointed the strawberry shaped cheese wasn't just a strawberry XD
I guess root-vegetable strawberries would make as much sense as anything down there.

That's fair, some folks enjoy tragedies others don't. Thoguh speaking of V8, I love ruthless Ruby:

It's amazing how Ruby's Petal Burst reversal maneuver on the bridge instantly changes the context of her "I hope it was worth it" line to Neo from

'I hope getting this revenge on me was worth all this death and suffering.'
to
"I hope your pride was worth your fucking life, idiot.'

I'd absolutely believe you, too.
XD
I guess root-vegetable strawberries would make as much sense as anything down there.
Nothing is impossible, not so long as you can imagine it!

Chibi S1 Checkpoint New
In honour of the chibi debut of Roman Torchwick, here's Ruby taking his words to heart:

"As for me, I'll do what I do best. Lie;"
Ruby tells Ironwood that Ozpin mysteriously vanished from Oscar after the train crash.
"steal;"
Immediately before that, Ruby admits their aircraft was technically stolen from the Argus garrison.
"cheat;"
Ruby invokes Jinn without a question to buy more time to silver-eyes the Leviathan to save Argus.
"and survive!"
Crescent Rose embedded in the sand of the beach in the Ever After.

Here's a little Little Red Riding Hood fact which I am clearly not smart enough to have realised myself. Ruby did not need to write in the Woodsman, given LRRH's previously written combat skill. But she wrote her BFF the part anyway.

Apparently my first exposure to Rooster Teeth media was almost as old as RWBY. Behold, this thing that I just found in my bookmarks, having put it there about when it was originally posted:

Any Beat Saber players in the audience? Some random is mapping (parts of) the RWBY soundtracks for it. As an example, Time to Say Goodbye (V2):

And if we're doing random YouTube videos now, here's one about an incredibly niche prototype industrial tool that bears a startling resemblance to Crescent Rose in rifle mode:

I'll be honest, I have mixed feelings on it to this day, despite how much I enjoyed the volume overall. As a particular example, even knowing what they were trying for, I just can't enjoy what happened with Penny. Or perhaps how they did it is the problem. The way the team manages to outmaneuver the virus, only to have Cinder fatally wound her anyway... It feels too much like the 'hope spots' that I felt volume 3 overused. And having Jaune assist her in killing herself to make sure Cinder couldn't get the power... bleck.

Back