Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Got a sort of feeling Hitler isn't going to be too pleased with Lutyens. First Kriegsmarine Commandment; "Thou shalt not engage enemy warships."!

Hood being damaged is going to have severe butterflies. It means she could finally get her refit that fixes that magazine problem that blew her to kingdom come in our time by Bisko. Apparently the RN suffered from ITINB, DFT syndrome and kept her in service until she faced Bisko.

That was powder handling practices, not a magazine problem. Hopefully she gets her boiler overhauls/replacements, gets rudimentary radar of any kind and possibly some proper powder handling/ammunition storage practice.

Weeeelllll...

From the information available, Hood's '42 refit that she never got? It would have fixed several things, yes. But the golden BB problem...that wouldn't have been fixed properly.

"Location of shell rooms and magazines– This, Hood's "Achilles heel," would not have been fixed. The powder magazines would still have been situated dangerously over the shell rooms. Even with the addition of protection its likely she would have remained vulnerable to similarly armed warships."

So...yeah. Even the type of refit Hood was likely to get wouldn't have really fixed what killed her. It would have improved her, and maybe even improved her deck armor. But it wouldn't have fixed the issue of her powder magazines and shell rooms.

This was an interesting chapter, to say the least. This whole battle between Repulse and Hood, and Scharnhorst and Gneisenau is sure to kick up the dust even further. I think it's safe to say at this point, that this isn't the world Thompson knows anymore. And you know, that worries me a little. Maybe Japan will strike earlier in this version of events, and still end up killing some of our precious girls. That would be the ultimate kick up the backside.

The butterflies man, the butterflies.

Quite the unpleasant shock, eh? German AP is total BS.

Oh dear, she just tempted Murphy. You should never tempt Murphy.

*winces*
And that is why. Hood is likely delirious from the pain/trauma of effectively being shot in the head. And needless to say, everyone that was on the bridge is just so much...stuff...after that.

It's good that she survived, but she's going to be out of action for a time.

Hm. Thompson is having a(n understandable) crisis of confidence in his abilities. Let's see how he regroups and works past the curveball that Utah's actions threw into the already complex situation of juggling objectives that is going on.

Great update.

On German AP...

That's actually what I meant by 'so much research'. I've been digging through Navweaps and other sources to see how the shells would work. And, theoretically, Scharnhorst's guns could get through even the thickest of Hood's belt (12in at most) at around 20,000 yards. Those guns may have been relatively- relatively -small caliber, but they packed a decent punch. Repulse would have been swiss cheese, if it hadn't been for Hood being the bigger/more prestigious target.

And yes, Hood shouldn't have tempted fate there.

With that type of damage inflicted this time around? They are either stupid or blind to not to do the refit or they are going to get a bigger slamming once Hood sinks with all her flaws shown to the world.

The British cannot just slap the proverbial bandaid on Hood, she will need the full dockyard treatment. If 11 inchers can nearly penetrate the belt of Hood, what are 15 inchers from Bisko and Tirpitz going to do?

To be fair, there's no 'nearly' here. If Ze Germans got to below 20k yards, even the thickest of Hood's belt could theoretically be penned by those guns. Even the damage that was done here is a wakeup call for sure though, because once the news about Bismarck gets out...

Lets hope the germans allow them to do so. Right now the british, especially their heavy units are far more pressed than during the OTL due to the better performance of the Kriegsmarine during the Norway campaign and beyond. Depending in how much the damage of Taranto scared the italians this time around and how many heavy ships they can afford to keep outside the Mediterranean and other theaters (including any heavy unit they thing they have to send to Asia and the Pacific to keep the japanese checked) they might not be willing to keep Hood in the drydock long enough for a full refit, much less the time needed to correct its armor problem.

Well, the sinking of Gneisenau, moderate damage to Scharnhorst and some damage to either Pringles/Hipper/Blucher is going to give the KM a mighty right hook into their plans of the whole Rhine Exercise. With Gennie sunk by Repulse, the 1st of 4 ships that participated in Rhine Exersize in our timeline are gone. Worst of all, the British have captured Lutjens too with the sinking of Gennie so he is out of the plans as well.

This may give the British enough time to refit Hood and try to add some radar and AA, fix the boiler problems, old turrets, magazine problem and numerous other faults with her once they managed to patch up all of those holes the Scharnhost sisters plugged into her, back in Britain. Basically that refit would be a lifesaver and will probably save Hood, no matter what the Admirality will say about keeping Hood in service.

They have the crews of Repulse, Suffolk, Belfast and a whole bunch of E and F-class destroyers to testify to Hoods weaknesses, and some pretty bad revelations is going to come out.

This is accurate, really. German plans are shot to hell to say the least, even if they did better in Norway. Brits have to do a lot of work to get Hood back into action too. Hence, as above:

The butterflies man.

It's sad that "getting shot to shit" is actually a net positive for Hood's well-being.

Heh...it is, isn't it?

The powder handling was fixed after Jutland, where three of Hood's aunts blew up because the admirals thought that rate of fire was more important than keeping the magazine fireproof.

What happened to Hood was a 'golden bullet', something that found a chink in her armor. Here's the best guess: link.

This much damage? It will need a major repair anyway, and the British yards are pretty much up to capacity, so she may be outsourced to an American shipyard. She can get a refit at the same time.

This happened all the time even before Pearl Harbor. For example, HMS Illustrious and HMS Formidable were under repair at Norfolk and had just finished when the Japanese attacked. HMS Warspite was actually at Bremerton (on the West Coast) under repair on 12/07/1941.

Who knows? Hood and Saratoga may meet sometime in the near future.

Ayup. We let the Brits use our drydocks for their warships, even before we joined the war. One of those interesting facts that not a lot of people know about, in all honesty.

Oh wow. That was amazing. And so long. Definitely worth the wait.

Don't mention the reports twice. Maybe: "But the reports her Admiral had received from Exeter after chasing down that one in the South Atlantic indicated they weren't."

Remove the comma, or move it to after "Repulse."

Put a floating hyphen after E. "Little E- and F-class"

It's better not to use a word (in this case, "struggle") twice in a row like that.

In Hood, but from Repulse? I think it should be "in" both times.

Missing commas: "...enough bite, however, as the..."

"Grinded" is technically not wrong, but "ground" is much more common.

"However" should be bracketed on both sides by either a comma or the beginning or end of a clause. So either "Even with the age of Hood, the weapons reached their firing position, however." or "Even with the age of Hood, however, the weapons reached their firing position." or "However, even with the age of Hood, the weapons reached their firing position."

Too much "roar" in such a short time.

Add another comma after "effort."

Personal preference: I would replace "if" with "though."

Shortly after this point, my inner proofreader kind of ceded the stage as I got more immersed.

Glad it worked, iffy bits aside.

Got a sort of feeling Hitler isn't going to be too pleased with Lutyens. First Kriegsmarine Commandment; "Thou shalt not engage enemy warships."!

Heh.

SO worth the wait as has been stated. Wow. You had me on the edge of my seat with that battle. Really, really well done. And your research clearly shows.

But as awesome and nerve wracking as that battle was, I think the best parts were the reveal about Lütjens and the breakdown of Thompson's issues. Those really hit something. Lütjens on how there is still honor between sailors and how you cannot paint everyone with the same brush. Thompson... just... I'm amazed he's as sane as he is. He really has gone through a lot and he's very fortunate to have those who stand beside him. I realize that even more now.

Also, butterflies?

HISTORY AS WE KNOW IT IS OVER. :wtf:

Damn fine job. Damn fine.

SO worth the wait as has been stated. Wow. You had me on the edge of my seat with that battle. Really, really well done. And your research clearly shows.

But as awesome and nerve wracking as that battle was, I think the best parts were the reveal about Lütjens and the breakdown of Thompson's issues. Those really hit something. Lütjens on how there is still honor between sailors and how you cannot paint everyone with the same brush. Thompson... just... I'm amazed he's as sane as he is. He really has gone through a lot and he's very fortunate to have those who stand beside him. I realize that even more now.

Also, butterflies?

To be fair the British knew that from the commerce raiding of the Admiral Graf Spee in the South Atlantic and its hunt. German Captain Hans Langsdorff was the textbook example of an honorable foe, both in victory and defeat.

Also, butterflies?

Yeah, the butterflies are making OTL history unknowable and everything has changed. But that leaves a often asked question.

Something must have happened (or someone spawned) before Thompson arrived, because Thompson is USPACFLT while the British is Home Fleet and these butterflies as way out there, even if Thompson could somehow influence them while two damn oceans away.

So it is most likely that a future!British Admiral was teleported and then influenced the events in Europe, because a future!German Admiral is going to have a lot of problems with the Nazi security services. But that still does not explain Blucher surviving though.

Weeeelllll...

From the information available, Hood's '42 refit that she never got? It would have fixed several things, yes. But the golden BB problem...that wouldn't have been fixed properly.

"Location of shell rooms and magazines– This, Hood's "Achilles heel," would not have been fixed. The powder magazines would still have been situated dangerously over the shell rooms. Even with the addition of protection its likely she would have remained vulnerable to similarly armed warships."

So...yeah. Even the type of refit Hood was likely to get wouldn't have really fixed what killed her. It would have improved her, and maybe even improved her deck armor. But it wouldn't have fixed the issue of her powder magazines and shell rooms.

The butterflies man, the butterflies.

On German AP...

That's actually what I meant by 'so much research'. I've been digging through Navweaps and other sources to see how the shells would work. And, theoretically, Scharnhorst's guns could get through even the thickest of Hood's belt (12in at most) at around 20,000 yards. Those guns may have been relatively- relatively -small caliber, but they packed a decent punch. Repulse would have been swiss cheese, if it hadn't been for Hood being the bigger/more prestigious target.

And yes, Hood shouldn't have tempted fate there.

To be fair, there's no 'nearly' here. If Ze Germans got to below 20k yards, even the thickest of Hood's belt could theoretically be penned by those guns. Even the damage that was done here is a wakeup call for sure though, because once the news about Bismarck gets out...

This is accurate, really. German plans are shot to hell to say the least, even if they did better in Norway. Brits have to do a lot of work to get Hood back into action too. Hence, as above:

The butterflies man.

Heh...it is, isn't it?

Ayup. We let the Brits use our drydocks for their warships, even before we joined the war. One of those interesting facts that not a lot of people know about, in all honesty.

Glad it worked, iffy bits aside.

Heh.
Uh, one small problem with a Scharnhorst penetrating Hood's main belt: it's sloped at 12 degrees.

Just needs to hit above the 12" strake on the 7" strake with an impact angle of around 20 degrees. Or so say the experts and test data.

Exactly. I was more questioning the ability of those 11" shells to threaten Hood's main belt.
It probably hit a bad patch of armor plate that the quality control inspectors missed.

Remember that the Hoods belt was outside the hull, like most battleship mind you since only like three classes* had it inside the hull, and she was pushing 20 years which is old for a salt water ship.

Hell, part of her refit was to have her main belt replaced with a new one.

*Littorio, South Dakota, and Iowa class.

Remember that the Hoods belt was outside the hull, like most battleship mind you since only like three classes* had it inside the hull, and she was pushing 20 years which is old for a salt water ship.

*Littorio, South Dakota, and Iowa class.
And the Nelson, Dunkerque, and Richelieu classes. Littorio had an external spaced belt. The Yamato class had a partially internal belt.

The Iowa and South Dakota classes have essentially identical armor schemes; the Iowa class is basically a South Dakota with longer rifles, more machinery space and a long thin bow added on.

A hypothetical type 3 Kan-Colle remodel of a South Dakota class might well be the Iowa class :)

Last edited:
The Iowa and South Dakota classes have essentially identical armor schemes; the Iowa class is basically a South Dakota with longer rifles, more machinery space and a long thin bow added on.
Pretty much... I remember reading a quote somewhere that when comparing the South Dakota and Iowa classes, some people said for what basically amounted to a 6-knot increase in speed, the price of 14,000 tons was very expensive.

Pretty much... I remember reading a quote somewhere that when comparing the South Dakota and Iowa classes, some people said for what basically amounted to a 6-knot increase in speed, the price of 14,000 tons was very expensive.
It also gave Iowa the ability to keep pace with destroyers. With the same armor package as the South Dakotas. And better/longer ranged guns. Plus Iowa pushes out a metric fuckton of horsepower, faster acceleration and deceleration.

It also gave Iowa the ability to keep pace with destroyers. With the same armor package as the South Dakotas. And better/longer ranged guns. Plus Iowa pushes out a metric fuckton of horsepower, faster acceleration and deceleration.
And operates a literal self-correcting targeting mechanical computer that is miles beyond what the Japanese had.

The Iowas really couldn't keep pace with destroyers with anything like a combat load. Cruisers and carriers yes.

Empty their tanks and magazines, then sure.
And operates a literal self-correcting targeting mechanical computer that is miles beyond what the Japanese had.
The North Carolinas and South Dakotas classes had a similar if not the same system so that's not new.

The Iowas really couldn't keep pace with destroyers with anything like a combat load. Cruisers and carriers yes.

Empty their tanks and magazines, then sure.

Straight from Wiki
32.5 knots (60.2 km/h; 37.4 mph) (Up to 35.2 knots (65.2 km/h; 40.5 mph) on light load.)
32.5 knots with a combat/full load. Also, light load is not *empty*

For reference, Fletcher class DDs ran 36.5 at flank. So yeah, Iowas can more or less keep up with a Desron.

Straight from Wiki
32.5 knots (60.2 km/h; 37.4 mph) (Up to 35.2 knots (65.2 km/h; 40.5 mph) on light load.)
32.5 knots with a combat/full load. Also, light load is not *empty*

For reference, Fletcher class DDs ran 36.5 at flank. So yeah, Iowas can more or less keep up with a Desron.
Light load is 52,000 tons for an Iowa, with full load being 57,000 tons in WW2.

Light load in the navy is basically the bare minimum what a ship needs to operate. Which basically means guns have a third of the capacity, fuel more or less the same with even the crew being cut down abit to essential personnel. Hell, my grandpa called it ferry load since its in general what the Iowas used if they were moving from one CONUSA port to the next on the same coast, say New York to Norfolk. Or trials.

The Iowas never went into combat like that. For the simple reason that by the time two days are up, probably more like within a day, at flank their be out of fuel.

So while they can do it, in reality they can't. Like saying the M1128 mobile gun Strykers can take out Main battle Tanks (the one with the 105mm) in theory they can but in reality?

Nope.

Last edited:
I have to reiterate that the big thing that is making me wonder is how these alternate events in Europe will impact the upcoming meeting between Molotov and Ribbentrop. Things could get quite dicey for the Allies if the Nazis cancel Barbarossa and try to come to an accord with Stalin. On the other hand, things can get very dicey for the Germans if Hitler decides to go ahead with Barbarossa anyways but the altered naval war means Stalin realizes what is coming and moves to prep the Red Army for it.

Last edited:
I have to reiterate that the big thing that is making me wonder is how these alternate events in Europe will impact the upcoming meeting between Molotov and Ribbentrop. Things could get quite dicey for the Allies if the Nazis cancel Barbarossa and try to come to an accord with Stalin.
Interesting if the changed circumstances prompted a Soviet intervention in China.

The movement of a few ships will probably not raise nearly as many alarms as the movilization of entire armies to his borders and if Stanlin did miss those despite the warnings of his very elaborate intelligence network I think that its safe to say that Barbarossa probably go on.

The movement of a few ships will probably not raise nearly as many alarms as the movilization of entire armies to his borders and if Stanlin did miss those despite the warnings of his very elaborate intelligence network I think that its safe to say that Barbarossa probably go on.

Probably, yes. Although much depends on how various meetings go and information is presented. A major part of a personal letter Hitler sent Stalin as part of the German disinformation campaign was devoted to telling the man the forces along the Soviet border were really training to invade Britain and they would be moved westward in early-July for such an invasion.

Last edited:
The North Carolinas and South Dakotas classes had a similar if not the same system so that's not new.
At the very least Yamato at Samar shot as accurate if not better at ranges over 30km than the New Jersey did at Truk. Nagato reputedly was no slouch either. So I'm rather doubtful that the mechanical computer setup was "miles beyond" what the Japanese were bringing to the fight.

Without blind fire radar the Japanese could only do this if the visibility allowed it. But that's because their radar was inferior, not because their computers were somehow inferior.

Without blind fire radar the Japanese could only do this if the visibility allowed it. But that's because their radar was inferior, not because their computers were somehow inferior.
The thing that made USN fire computers better than the IJN ones is that the computer and the radar and the rangefinders and the *everything* was all linked together. That was the beauty of the Mark 1 Fire control computer.

The IJN setup had the fire control guys reading off the computer's results down to the gunners instead of the guns automatically getting the update from the computer. The guys on the rangefinder would call the results back into the fire control guys who would then enter that into the computer. And then the cycle repeated.

It is worth noting that Yamato landed multiple hits in very poor weather during the Battle of Samar. There's evidence of this from the accounts of the day saying things like 'Then the Johnston ducked into a squall for cover' or 'hiding behind the waves on approach'. Generally indicates choppy conditions at best.

The IJN did have good coincidence and visual range finders and their crews were skilled in the use of them, where as the USN relied heavily on Mark 1 and as a result had poorer optics. Obviously, in hindsight, the USN was proven to have the better system.

Last edited:
Back