Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Ah, I see Glorious lives. That means my favorite destroyer of the RN, HMS Acasta, still sails.

Acasta
was the one to fire a torpedo into Scharnhorst. After two hours of laying smoke screens and slashing attacks, Acasta finally sank. Gneisenau's crew lowered their flag to half-mast and saluted in Acasta's honor.
Unfortunately the German ships couldn't stay, due to the torpedo hit and possible retaliation by aircraft or submarines. Only one survivor from Acasta was rescued, five days later.

Last edited:
"I told you," Utah sent a smile over her shoulder, winking at Thompson in a way entirely unlike what he remembered. "I almost got through to someone who had no reason to believe I was here. Admiral Richardson...he knows I should be here. Give me a day, and he will be able to see me. Just one day."

This confidence was entirely unlike what Thompson was used to. But...if Utah thought it would work, he would be perfectly willing to let her. He didn't see any other way to convince Admiral Richardson...and if this was what it took, so be it.

I hope she can pull it off...
Utah better be right, else things will be going south real fast.

Shooting at defenseless allies...no. That would not be what HMS Hood was remembered for.
Indeed, not a desirable legacy. Though more embarrassing/humiliating, even falling in battle from a Golden BB hit as per OTL could be classified as better than that.

Only if it was accurate, and she would finally have the chance to prove herself as something other than a pretty show piece.
Here's to hoping Hood and her accompanying fleet survives fighting Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. I expecting losses though, from the destroyers if nothing else.

Unable to help it, Hood giggled softly, "You know he can't hear me."

"Well...yeah. But you could still try!" Repulse was probably pouting now, and the thought just made Hood giggle more.
When did the Britboats pick up the TBS trick? Is Repulse's admiral also from the future? Is the German admiral feeding MI6 information to get his own ships sunk?

Also, it looks like Halsey can see Utah. I wonder who else he can see now.

Well, I'm sure this will be explained later or is explained in some earlier post between non-authors speculating that I haven't bothered to read. In any event, I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

You know what I kinda want to happen?

The British get Mauled worst in real life by the Germans and have them get away. Hopefully that convince them to take things more seriously in the Atlantic then begging for the US to send ships there.

Cause honestly we shouldn't have needed to send the North Carolinas, South Dakotas and the Iowas to guard the Brits.

Another great chapter! Here's hoping Utah can pull through and haul Thompson's keester out of the fire. And not just his, but Halsey and Jackson's as well. I'm not sure which would get a bigger reaction out of Richardson though; something epic, or something subtle...

But Utah's a good girl! She'll pull through. :D

And Hood. Oh, here's hoping she doesn't get shafted. Too badly at least...

I'm curious how Hood and Repulse will fare against the Scharnhorst sisters, the Brits'll have the heavier caliber and longer range, but the Scharnies have the faster rate of fire and muzzle velocity, as well as thicker belt and deck armor.

And that stops the, from being shot up how? Hell that actually makes them easier to shot up...
Slower ships cannot force a battle if the enemy isn't willing to stand and fight. Also, remember the Med? That needed to be covered too, once the French fleet was no longer available to help contain the Italian Fleet.

I'm curious how Hood and Repulse will fare against the Scharnhorst sisters, the Brits'll have the heavier caliber and longer range, but the Scharnies have the faster rate of fire and muzzle velocity, as well as thicker belt and deck armor.
If the Scharnies are using the same guns/shells as Graf Spee did, it might not turn out too well for them - seven hits on a Heavy Cruiser, and still didn't sink it!

If the Scharnies are using the same guns/shells as Graf Spee did, it might not turn out too well for them - seven hits on a Heavy Cruiser, and still didn't sink it!
The Scharny sisters actually used an improved version of the Deutschlands guns (SK C/28 for the Deutschland vs SK C/34 for the Scharnies) which had fired a slightly heavier shell at a higher velocity.

Here's hoping this doesn't happen again like in real life:

Man...that's. It might not be Biscuit that does Hood in this time.

Yes, that would be...bad. Very bad.

Utah better be right, else things will be going south real fast.

Indeed, not a desirable legacy. Though more embarrassing/humiliating, even falling in battle from a Golden BB hit as per OTL could be classified as better than that.

Here's to hoping Hood and her accompanying fleet survives fighting Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. I expecting losses though, from the destroyers if nothing else.

Well, there being no losses on either side would be a tad unrealistic I'd say...

Until one looks at Scharn and Gneisenau's war history. Which basically amounts to 'trading shots with Brits, running away before anything is sunk'. 'Course, that's not me saying anything on what will actually happen. Just that they managed to be about as effective as Tirpitz, save for sinking Glorious.

At least Scharn went out swinging.

When did the Britboats pick up the TBS trick? Is Repulse's admiral also from the future? Is the German admiral feeding MI6 information to get his own ships sunk?

Also, it looks like Halsey can see Utah. I wonder who else he can see now.

Well, I'm sure this will be explained later or is explained in some earlier post between non-authors speculating that I haven't bothered to read. In any event, I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Hm.

As for the talking between ships thing, any ship can do it without having someone push them to try. Just the vast majority don't think of it. Repulse is, shall we say, rather eccentric.

That, and there's nothing saying the Atlantic Fleet hasn't picked up the trick yet.

As for Halsey, I've said before that once you can see a ship, you can see any ship. Mostly because you know they are there now. It's a matter of making the first breakthrough, more than anything else.

You know what I kinda want to happen?

The British get Mauled worst in real life by the Germans and have them get away. Hopefully that convince them to take things more seriously in the Atlantic then begging for the US to send ships there.

Cause honestly we shouldn't have needed to send the North Carolinas, South Dakotas and the Iowas to guard the Brits.

Getting mauled is both good and bad. Brit pride is a real thing. But Brit panic is a real thing. If Hood gets beaten up by ships with 11in guns, then when they find out about Bisko with 15incher? How are they going to react to that but to not panic at the idea?

Except that all of the British (non-Battlecruiser) Heavies were considerably slower than the German ships.

This too.

To catch Bismarck was pure luck. The only ships they had that could catch her were Renown, Repulse, and Hood. We know how that went. The Rs? The QEs? The NelRods? None of them could catch up to the German heavy hitters. That's why they needed our ships, more than anything else. Once enough KGVs come online that's less an issue though.

Another great chapter! Here's hoping Utah can pull through and haul Thompson's keester out of the fire. And not just his, but Halsey and Jackson's as well. I'm not sure which would get a bigger reaction out of Richardson though; something epic, or something subtle...

But Utah's a good girl! She'll pull through. :D

And Hood. Oh, here's hoping she doesn't get shafted. Too badly at least...

Yup, Utah has to prove what she says she can do. She's a smart one though.

And yes, poor Hood has no idea what she's getting into.

Well, the Scharnies went against Renown once. It was another of the 'shoot and scoot' things I mentioned above though...and went much less well for Ze Germans.

@Skywalker_T-65 I've been reading through your works since noticing the link in the JMPer's signature, and I have to say this story is my favorite of them.

So going back a few chapters, with all the improvements that Thompson is introducing into carrier tactics and operation, is he going to touch upon methods by which to launch airstrikes? One of the problems I recall the USN having during Coral Sea and Midway was the sheer amount of time it took to get an airstrike launched... taking over an hour to get the massed attacks launched. Yorktown learned the lessons after Coral Sea, but was unable to teach Enterprise and Hornet before Midway. I tried to do some research into the issue, but I wasn't able to find any reasons why the USN only encountered these issues during those two pivotal battles.

Addressing that should satisfy some of Halsey's desire for more offensive thinking from Thompson's brainstorms.

The other thing I thought would be interesting is if Thompson somehow met some of the IJN ship spirits in this era. Given the direction of the story, it's probably a longshot, though...

Not a chance for a naval vessel of Japan but a Maru he could do because the U.S. traded with Japan up until wars Start
Edited.

Last edited:
Um All i Can find is the U.S. Embargoing Scrap metal and oil and seizing all assets in the U.S. in 1940.
Can you provided any cites for anything else.

Last edited:
Back