Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

Once upon a time, he would have considered it strange to be talking to the battleship. He knew it would have been even stranger to those watching. That had changed. Even for those who hadn't already met Utah, the news was spreading, if only in fits and spurts of rumor.
Well, it was information that couldn't be kept under wraps forever. It will be interesting to see how the general populace will react.
It seemed that the spirits of the ships didn't change, no matter the extent of the refit. Or perhaps that was just Arizona. Richardson would have to ask Thompson about that whenever the next time Saratoga came back to port was. There were still far too many things he didn't understand about the ship spirits.
Oh boy, just you wait till the MSSB starts really showing, Richardson.
He was both happily married and not a man like Thompson.
So not a harem protagonist, got it.
The flush on her face spoke to embarrassment about something. Richardson resisted a sudden strong urge to roll his eyes. Ah. She must have felt the same at one point. What was this, a cheap film at the cinema?
No, this is a fanfiction based on a waifu gacha game.
The world has gone insane, and some days, I wonder if I have as well.

"As you're reading, my question is simple. Have you noticed anything different about ships under construction? Are they manifesting as well?" Richardson placed his hands on the table and gave the battleship a serious glance, "I need to know the answer to that question, I'm afraid. Thompson doesn't know and if it is the case, that is something we should get ahead of."
That is a very good question.
Richardson tried not to concern himself with the ship spirits and allow Thomspon to focus upon that,
Thompson.
Both battleship and admiral fell silent at the idea. Imagining a battleship freshly laid down by the Nazis and immediately torn from her hull and force-fed their ideology.
Or even before that, superstructure with swastikas and party lines carved everywhere, constant chanting of party ideology during construction, people who'd like to run experiments on them... Yeah, not a pretty picture.
Coughing into her hand, probably trying to hide her flushed face, Arizona spoke in something resembling a strangled tone, "Last I he--heard, Tommy was in the South Pacific with the Raiders, sir!"

"Tommy, is it?"
Awww.
The sharp 'twang' of bullets flying over his head was all that one Tommy Conlin needed to fall flat on his stomach. A chopped-off grunt announced one of his fellow Raiders falling with a bullet through his helmet. Sightless eyes stared back at Tommy as he fought down the urge to lose his last meal. Forcing it down, he pulled the rim of his helmet up, just enough to see tracers flying from a treeline a short distance away. He didn't even notice the mud and muck getting into every open spot on his uniform. He hadn't noticed that in a long time.

It wasn't as if he hadn't been coated in mud to begin with. These godforsaken islands were never, ever, dry.
Mud, the bane of every soldier. Fuck mud.
I'm not going to end up like them. No way in hell.
Yeah, you have a girl waiting back at the States.
I recognize this guy. Now the question is, are Dimitri and Reznov serving together yet?
If they are, that would unfortunately mean that Dragovich, Kravchenko and Steiner are also here.

I suspect that the general public will end up adjusting to the thought that ships have actual spirits fairly well. While I don't doubt that there will still be massive postwar scrappings and/or SINKEXes (the US Navy gets way too big in WW2 to be viably maintained even in reserve in peacetime), I do suspect that there will be more successful museum ship drives postwar, and offers from cities and states that are physically unable to host their namesake cruisers and battleships, respectively, to at least provide the ship's spirit a home once the hull is gone. (A fine example would be South Dakota. Though it wasn't physically possible to transport BB-57 to the state when the USN decided to dispose of her in 1962, the state did raise funds to build a memorial, with the same dimensions as her, that displays a number of artifacts from her, including at least one of her main battery guns. I don't doubt that, in this timeline, said memorial would also include a lovely home for her spirit to reside in, should she so desire.)

Historians would love it years later, when re-examining the war with hindsight; you'd have a resource who could provide direct testimony as to what, exactly, happened in various moments, including stuff that is truly lost to time IOTL (like, for example, what, exactly, Halsey was thinking during Samar--he never discussed it, so we can only guess, but if his flagship's spirit was still around, we could just ask her what he may have said in her presence).

And if Bill Halsey's campaign to preserve Little E as a museum fails due to lack of funds in this timeline, I'll eat a bug...

If that relationship ever gets anywhere: how would one handle a marriage with the bride being an active steel hull battleship? Thinking about it, decades after the war, I'll eat my hat if there won't be a sitcom with said premise (probably with a fictional ship though)
Given that "My Mother the Car" actually did happen IRL, I don't think you'll need to start gearing up to eat any fabric.

from fallout series:
War. War never changes.

I suspect that the general public will end up adjusting to the thought that ships have actual spirits fairly well. While I don't doubt that there will still be massive postwar scrappings and/or SINKEXes (the US Navy gets way too big in WW2 to be viably maintained even in reserve in peacetime), I do suspect that there will be more successful museum ship drives postwar, and offers from cities and states that are physically unable to host their namesake cruisers and battleships, respectively, to at least provide the ship's spirit a home once the hull is gone. (A fine example would be South Dakota. Though it wasn't physically possible to transport BB-57 to the state when the USN decided to dispose of her in 1962, the state did raise funds to build a memorial, with the same dimensions as her, that displays a number of artifacts from her, including at least one of her main battery guns. I don't doubt that, in this timeline, said memorial would also include a lovely home for her spirit to reside in, should she so desire.)

Historians would love it years later, when re-examining the war with hindsight; you'd have a resource who could provide direct testimony as to what, exactly, happened in various moments, including stuff that is truly lost to time IOTL (like, for example, what, exactly, Halsey was thinking during Samar--he never discussed it, so we can only guess, but if his flagship's spirit was still around, we could just ask her what he may have said in her presence).

And if Bill Halsey's campaign to preserve Little E as a museum fails due to lack of funds in this timeline, I'll eat a bug...

Given that "My Mother the Car" actually did happen IRL, I don't think you'll need to start gearing up to eat any fabric.
Oh the conversation around scrapping is going to be interesting postwar. A shipgirl like Utah that's been able to fully separate themselves* or one that's damaged beyond repair are likely fine to scrap the hull. It's when you get to the ones that haven't been able to separate themselves from their hulls or are just heavily damaged but could be repaired that it's gonna get messy, especially once this gets out into the public. You thought the OTL Civil Rights movement was a charged time just wait until you throw in the rights of shipgirls into it. I'm actually expecting the first civil rights domino not to be Brown V Board TTL but a shipgirl who doesn't want to be scrapped suing the US government over it. Admittedly AFAIK this is all just speculation since I don't think Sky is planning on covering any of this.

*As in is able to leave her physical hull and go inland if need be.

Then there's also the obvious fact that we're in the 40s and suddenly there are women fighting on the battlefield, and not just in Soviet Union, some of them even clad in a way that might show *gasp* an ankle! Or more! Not to mention when shipgirls that resemble minorities appear, lot of undergarments will get twisted.

they also can't really tell them no either.
You try telling the incarnation of several hundred (or thousand) tons of steel and guns that she can't do something because of either skin tone or gender.

they also can't really tell them no either.
You try telling the incarnation of several hundred (or thousand) tons of steel and guns that she can't do something because of either skin tone or gender.
only someone willing to be a future darwin awardee, for this new timeline, will try and stop a kanmusu from what she want to do and end up in the hospital with minor injuries.

but threaten them with force and we're gonna need to pick up the pieces so we can bury the poor soul, after giving the "too stupid to live" award.

only someone willing to be a future darwin awardee, for this new timeline, will try and stop a kanmusu from what she want to do and end up in the hospital with minor injuries.

but threaten them with force and we're gonna need to pick up the pieces so we can bury the poor soul, after giving the "too stupid to live" award.
I think more like squeegee into a bucket then place in a box.

We've already established (albeit that she hasn't featured for obvious reasons) that Mississippi is black.

Racists are curiously absent from her crew by now.

Forget trying to tell the incarnation of several tens of thousands of metal war machine she can't fight. You try to tell the Navy that had to spill ink and have ink spilled in glorious fiscal combat for every damn penny they could claw out of Congress's hands that they can't use the multiple tens of thousands of tons metal warmachine they paid for because it would be indecent. Methinks that any muckrakers that tried that angle would find themselves on the Navy's bad side mighty quick.

'Side, you know how sailors get about their ships.

We've already established (albeit that she hasn't featured for obvious reasons) that Mississippi is black.

Racists are curiously absent from her crew by now.

Now are we talking about via transferring to another ship or "oh no Johnny drank too much Booze and fell overboard last night"?
Don't forget the old saw that there are no atheists in a foxhole. I suspect that any racists still in her crew are keeping it very quiet lest they piss her off. Plus the little issue that when the bullets are flying, everyone's the same color. (Green, typically, though I suspect that in naval service, it would be blue...)

Back