Changing Destiny (Kancolle)

It may be just my CANADA! showing through, but why doesn't he defect to the British? I fully understand not wanting to fight your countrymen, but when your countrymen are literal Nazis well...
Because defecting isn't going to measurably hasten the end of the war? Given that his plan is currently looking like "get famous and popular then coup d'etat", which might actually work at ending the war early with less horribleness, defecting isn't a good option.

Because, except for that pesky RAF, the war is going great. France fell almost immediately, Poland is out, the UK is on the run almost worldwide, from Africa to Java. The war hasn't really started yet. How can you convince a crew to defect, leaving their entire lives behind, for seemingly no apparent reason?
He could maneuver the ship into a disadvantages position, and then surrender the ship to the British. Once he was a prisoner he could give them all of the information he has on hand. While I find it unlikely that the British would let him remain in command of the ship I'm fairly confident that he knows that the British aren't going to execute them. Again, this may just be my CANADA! showing.

Because defecting isn't going to measurably hasten the end of the war? Given that his plan is currently looking like "get famous and popular then coup d'etat", which might actually work at ending the war early with less horribleness, defecting isn't a good option.
No matter what a lot of people are going to die. A lot of Germans are going to die. The wheel of war has begun to turn and it will have its tithe in blood.

Last edited:
He could maneuver the ship into a disadvantages position, and then surrender the ship to the British. Once he was a prisoner he could give them all of the information he has on hand. While I find it unlikely that the British would let him remain in command of the ship I'm fairly confident that he knows that the British aren't going to execute them. Again, this may just be my CANADA! showing.
Again, how? How can he convince a lot of normal German citizens, none of whom have the knowledge he does, that they should abandon Germany before they've even hit the figurative iceberg? We have the benefit of rational hindsight. The crews of Blucher *neigh* and Biscuit don't. Besides, an attempt to do anything that looks even remotely like he took the easy way out will besmirch him. He just got commended by Mustachio himself, and is in charge of the most advanced battleship in the Kriegsmarine. If he doesn't die in battle, or go down with the ship, there will have to be a very good reason.

"Ah. Understandable, I suppose." Iwata didn't seem all that put out, as he started walking down the street. "Operation security?"

The term "Operational Security" as we understand it wasn't coined until Vietnam. While I can't definitively say "this phrase had never been uttered before Vietnam", it certainly wasn't so ubiquitous that a random civvie on the street would say it. Now I'm wondering if this is actually or mistake or if Iwata is from the future as well.

And now that I've read more, interesting to see a German in the past too. I'm wondering if Pearl Harbor is getting cancelled because there's a Japanese Admiral (with enough pull) in the past too.

Last edited:
I even knowing how bad hitler is don't really see why playing the part is so hard for the good admiral I mean sure he goes on to do some messed up stuff but at the moment hitler hasn't done anything worse then most other world leaders even Krystal nacht was kinda tame in comparison to say the persecution of Bulgarians during ww1 and the balkans war before that by the ottomans maybe it's the sociopathy speaking but I don't see a problem in playing buddy buddy with hitler till I can get the knife deep enough in his back that it can't be taken out hopefully before he starts the final solution ( then again if he gets buddy buddy enough he may be able to prevent the final solution)

He could try and secretly contact and support The White Rose, maybe. I mean, that wouldn't have a massive impact, but if he could keep himself hidden, it could cause a more Anti-Nazi mindset in more of the German people.

I even knowing how bad hitler is don't really see why playing the part is so hard for the good admiral I mean sure he goes on to do some messed up stuff but at the moment hitler hasn't done anything worse then most other world leaders even Krystal nacht was kinda tame in comparison to say the persecution of Bulgarians during ww1 and the balkans war before that by the ottomans maybe it's the sociopathy speaking but I don't see a problem in playing buddy buddy with hitler till I can get the knife deep enough in his back that it can't be taken out hopefully before he starts the final solution ( then again if he gets buddy buddy enough he may be able to prevent the final solution)
The Bulgarians were in a better position than the Armenians. And Nazis tend to be the basis of most evil empires. *looks at the Galactic Empire*

So, going by the description, I figure it was something like Hitler's picture on the cover of Time, when he was, no joke, Man of The Year. Mainly because of him getting Germany back on her own two feet after the Depression.He got the trains running on time, we just didn't know what was in the cattle cars.

Well, the Man of the Year, as I understand it, is supposed to be the person with the biggest personal effect on world events... In which case Hitler definitely qualifies.

Admiral Schreiber nodded ever so slowly, "Yes, Mein Führer.
I think a closing quotation mark is missing here?

"Sir, what happened out there? I've never seen you like this before!"
Well, Blucher, having a demon made flesh stare at you and call you friend has a marked tendency to do that to anyone who is sane and has a conscience.

"I wanted nothing more than to kill him at that moment, Blücher. I wanted to tear him apart, even though I know that it would just end with me dead and Germany no better off. I still wanted to kill that bastard with my own hands."
I will admit that Schreiber definitely has a will of iron during his conversation with Hitler. Not many would be able to resist such urges that stoically.

I will become a villain to the British people if I must. I will sink old friends if I must. But I have to prove my worth to Germany. Become a hero to the German people.

Schreiber sighed heavily as the weight of his mission pressed down on his shoulders.

I must be a hero. I have no hope of succeeding if I do not.
I wonder, just how long before MJ12's favorite catchphrase will become applicable for our unfortunate German time-traveler?

I can see why you had such difficulty/unease writing this one, Sky. Yikes. A well-done update despite the unpalatable subject matter.

Literally Hitler. I'm impressed at Schreiber's restraint. If given the chance, many would simply say "fuck the timeline" and bust a cap in him.

If I had the chance, I'd probably just stand and stare at him dumbly, all "wow, it's actually Hitler".

Then I'd bust a cap in him.

Wow. Just, wow. Why do I fear that, if Schreiber does well he will be meeting Hitler more and more often?

Becoming the enemy of the British? He is going to have Bismarck perform her designed job, and do it well.

Literally Hitler. I'm impressed at Schreiber's restraint. If given the chance, many would simply say "fuck the timeline" and bust a cap in him.

If I had the chance, I'd probably just stand and stare at him dumbly, all "wow, it's actually Hitler".

Then I'd bust a cap in him.

Remember, if you do that at the wrong point in the timeline, things could actually turn out worse, hard as that may be to believe.

I can see why you had such difficulty/unease writing this one, Sky. Yikes. A well-done update despite the unpalatable subject matter.
I concur.

That was... wow. Really, really very well done.
Wow. Just, wow. Why do I fear that, if Schreiber does well he will be meeting Hitler more and more often?

Becoming the enemy of the British? He is going to have Bismarck perform her designed job, and do it well.
Being Schreiber is suffering. If he fails, then he loses everything and his girls are either scrapped or otherwise killed.

If he succeeds... that's still a lot more blood of old friends and allies to be spilled.

Hmmm, would Schrieber be making contact with Admiral Wilhelm Canaris? It is very easy to write Hitler as a psychotic monster, but much, much harder to show him as an actual human being. No one likes looking into a mirror and seeing that the greatest monsters are ourselves...

The problem of hitching the wagon to any of Canaris's plots for Schreiber is one of competence. And their biggest problem is that for the longest time they didn't have anyone with the stature to replace Hitler with. Even when Rommel was approached with the idea, he was non-committal.

Schreiber also knows that just taking out Hitler alone won't be enough. When conducting a coup d'tat you have to take out the inner circle as well. So not only do you have to nail Hitler, you need to take out Himmler, Goering, Goebbels and Bormann and leave no doubt about their fates.

Schreiber has to become a hero to the level that the plotting generals in the Army like Fieldmarshall Witzleben will follow him in the necessary revolt/coup and that he plans out contingency plans in case the initial removal goes awry.

And just think about this. As crappy as Schreiber's situation is, imagine the hot mess the poor time traveling Japanese admiral (if there is one) has to navigate. :confused:

I got a question:

If Hitler ever comes onboard either Blucher or Bismarck, could the ships drop a wrench on his head? And then the Gestapo will be panicking over invisible, intangible spirits (aka "Gott") disliking the Fuhrer...

I got a question:

If Hitler ever comes onboard either Blucher or Bismarck, could the ships drop a wrench on his head? And then the Gestapo will be panicking over invisible, intangible spirits (aka "Gott") disliking the Fuhrer...

Could? Yes, but it would be stupid. The explanation the SS would decide upon is some traitor on board the ship rigged a trap somehow to drop a wrench on the Fuhrer's head.

Could? Yes, but it would be stupid. The explanation the SS would decide upon is some traitor on board the ship rigged a trap somehow to drop a wrench on the Fuhrer's head.
Depends.

If he's on the top deck/external deck, walking around with his bodyguards, have one of the girls start the swing from the direction/side of the ship's railing. Then it'll look like one of the bodyguards is the one that swung the lethal hit.

And since his bodyguards are all SS troops....

Cue a purge of the group nobody would shed a tear for.

Last edited:
Is it wrong that I hope Schreiber fails, if only because it'll help Thompson out immensely.

Perhaps she couldn't see it, but Schreiber already felt a small twitch of his lips. "Blücher, you have already done so much for me. Surely you must know that."

"It isn't enough. I want to leave my hull and go fight them in person. That way you don't have to."
All his loyal warship did was shake her head, her pink hair falling across his cheek. "I've already talked with Bismarck. We're going to find a way to leave our hulls if it kills us. And then we're going to take the fight right to them. I won't let anyone hurt you Admiral, no matter what I have to do to stop it! I promise that."
So nobody's commenting on Bismarck and Blucher being determined to become shipgirls?

Is it wrong that I hope Schreiber fails, if only because it'll help Thompson out immensely.
Herein lies quite the quandry.

Who do we root for? Who can we root for when we? I want them both to succeed, but at the same time I feel they can't. And this isnt even getting into Japan's situation. Who's victory upon who's ashes do I yearn for?

Is there even a path that all can walk down together?
So nobody's commenting on Bismarck and Blucher being determined to become shipgirls?
I think many are still reeling from Hitler.

I for one, want to see BIscuits and Blucher dragging Schreiber around town so he can show them the sights and treat them to tasty food.

Herein lies quite the quandry.

Who do we root for? Who can we root for when we? I want them both to succeed, but at the same time I feel they can't. And this isnt even getting into Japan's situation. Who's victory upon who's ashes do I yearn for?

Is there even a path that all can walk down together?

I think many are still reeling from Hitler.

I for one, want to see BIscuits and Blucher dragging Schreiber around town so he can show them the sights and treat them to tasty food.
I honestly don't think Scheiber has a chance in hell. Even if he survives this trip (which isn't a given considering he's going to face worse odds at Denmark Strait now) he's still going to have to deal with everything the Brits will throw at St.Nazaire, Brest, and the other ports as well as more sorties against even tougher opponents. Add to that Nazi political backstabbing...

Back