Voting is open
Okay the first is dope as hell and I want to see what it does. but Veil turned curtain sounds like it weakens the barriers of the materium and the warp turning it into a curtain one can see past or cross.
I think it's the other way around. A veil is thin & see-through. You can move it with a breath and part it with a gesture. A curtain is heavier, blocks light and requires greater effort to remove. This sounds like a general-purpose warp-nonsense suppressing song. Which... sounds good. Chaos shit? Damp that down. Psytech-shit? Turn down the volume.

I'm not sure it's better than the "Unharmed By Power" song for psionic defense, but it's definitely interesting.

In the meantime, may I interest you in some Alliance prompts that may-or-may-not also unlock more Irrita prompts in turn? :V
Trying to decide between the Shipwrights' Alliance, the Mashan & the Mothomes actually. Apparently I'm just interested in writing about aliens now. Got enough writing about humans in my other jobs.

Hmm. @HeroCooky Would it be reasonable for the Mothomes to have a turbo-industrial-revolution? I want them to be relevant and that feels like the only way it's gonna happen. Would probably need to be triggered by them finding some DaoT children's book that teaches 6th grade science.

Last edited:
We could spend an action to introduce ourselves to them and see if they would like being a protectorate. Just need to find a place to fit it in since next turn we're pretty busy with the the Propaganda Department and maybe terraforming Maphara
Can't do that, I'm afraid.

Oh, you've already solved that. Don't poke them when they aren't capable of talking to you in space, don't give them shit unless they give you stuff of equal value in return, and make them into a Protectorate once they have Warp Technology.

Them getting relevant would require
A) something terrible happening to them
B) Their psykers getting up to shenanigans that make interaction worthwhile
C) One of our scientists going megalomaniacal/native, and deciding to either conquer or help them.

You can give them a bronze/copper steam engine revolution. As a treat.

What about non traditional technological paths? For example, a green revolution prior/without an industrial one, or their psykers figuring out something similarly transformative?

Last edited:
Anyway, since we're doing these little lore blurbs right now, could I trouble you with having one for the Kil'drabi, glimmering Federation, and Yeeni as well.
Not in the same level of detail maybe, but I keep forgetting what different naming styles we have in play, what canon has already been estabilished for each subsection, and so on....

Anyway, since we're doing these little lore blurbs right now, could I trouble you with having one for the Kil'drabi, glimmering Federation, and Yeeni as well.
Not in the same level of detail maybe, but I keep forgetting what different naming styles we have in play, what canon has already been estabilished for each subsection, and so on....
Tell me about it, I keep forgetting the naming conventions of the Yeeni & Kil'drabi. That's honestly a part of why I don't write about them. Same with the Mashan. I'll invent something interesting for the Mothome, though it's likely that part of their names involves pedipalp movements.

What about non traditional technological paths? For example, a green revolution prior/without an industrial one, or their psykers figuring out something similarly transformative?
Hmm. I don't know if I'm going to go for blood-fueled naginata. But I might let them focus a lot on projectile weaponry & very light technology. After all, they're a species that can at least sort of fly, and so being able to hit somebody while you're hovering or shoot them down if they fly over your walls is going to be important.

On the other hand, they probably can't carry much bulk, so their steam engines are going to revolutionize logistics because all of a sudden you can transport so much more stuff. They're still probably pretty dainty though. Hmm.

Last edited:
Hmm. I don't know if I'm going to go for blood-fueled naginata. But I might let them focus a lot on projectile weaponry & very light technology. After all, they're a species that can at least sort of fly, and so being able to hit somebody while you're hovering or shoot them down if they fly over your walls is going to be... interesting.
Aren't their wings vestigial?

Anyway, the main problem with them having steam engines is that early steam engines were used primarily in the mines (easy availability of coal + need to move water around), and big wings + narrow mines don't particularly work well.

Thinking about it, their industrial revolution will be a real hell. Moths with soot blackened wings, walking through smog covered streets. Recognize the metal workers, their wings pitted with holes where the embers from the forge and fires have burned through. Recognize the weavers, their wings crumpled where they taped them down, so as to not be caught in the whirring spinning machinery. Recognize the miners, their wings shorn off, removed or torn away at young age by the narrow shafts and sharp rocks.

That sounds like the next Omake. This one is about their Alexander-the-great equivalent carving out empires from city-states and making them realize they can centralize power. And that empires can do great (and terrible) things.

From what we know of the naming conventions, Kil'drabi are more descriptive like They-Who-Preach-of-Dawn, He-Who-Sings-With-Golden-Skin, Stellar-Dust-of-Labor, Speaker-Of-Engines-And-Spirits etc.

Yeeni names are pretty much hippy names like Starshine, Springdawn, Bramble Darkclaw, Petal Shimmerdew, Thistle Starfog, etc. (also Daring Ignition is probably a Yeeni).

From what we know of the naming conventions, Kil'drabi are more descriptive like They-Who-Preach-of-Dawn, He-Who-Sings-With-Golden-Skin, Stellar-Dust-of-Labor, Speaker-Of-Engines-And-Spirits etc.

Yeeni names are pretty much hippy names like Starshine, Springdawn, Bramble Darkclaw, Petal Shimmerdew, Thistle Starfog, etc. (also Daring Ignition is probably a Yeeni).
Yeah, I know.

I just forget.

No, you got the Trait instead. And nope.

On a side note, I wonder what's going on with Kil'drabi culture. Their battlecolonies were near holy to them, the core of their society.
And now they stopped making them and started building destroyers.

What does that do to their society?

Last edited:
Glimmering Federation Dossier
Glimmering Federation Dossier

1) Basic Economics
1.a) Trade

The Glimmering Federation does not operate a state-controlled mercantile fleet, relying on internal civilian ISCs (Interstellar Shipping Companies) instead for interstellar trade and commerce. Though three ISCs (Green Horizons Colonization LTD, New Dawn R&D, and Federation Post) dominate the markets with around 79% of the total volume of goods and people shipped within the Federation, smaller single or duo-ship ISCs exist within the polity. In total, 283 individual ships ply the Warp Lanes of the Federation to fuel its economic growth, transport people and councilors, and investigate and seek out new systems, anomalies, and resources.

Their civilian ships are typically constructed with a "rectangular prism" as their main body, with construction ships having a cylinder with two half-spheres at its end used for the crew attached to the vessel's front with a narrow middle section often containing either materials or pre-constructed parts of stations and void infrastructure. Transportation ships are also constructed like a "rectangular prism," with a blunt bow, with the majority having half-spheres attached to their middle sections in an obtuse angle containing goods, liquids, and gasses they ferry across the interstellar void. At the same time, large-scale transport ships are shaped like construction vessels but with cylinders with a single half-sphere attached to their upward-facing ends attached to their middle sections ranging from 2~12 such cylinders.

A notable quirk of their military ships is that the main body consists of either a "tube" or a "rectangular prism" with flat wings constructed around the main body following the entire length of the ship. If they aren't, they are mainly situated alone in the bow or rarely found in the middle section but never in the aft. Those same wings are typically located at an obtuse angle pointing downwards relative to the "down" of the ship's internal layout. Carriers often have their "wings" extended and enlarged to make space for their strike craft elements. The Glimmering Federation uses a Stark White as its primary ship coloration, with Black as a Secondary Color and Midnight Blue as a Tertiary/Accent Color.

The Glimmering Federation maintains 154 military vessels as of 780.M42, which they group into Sector Battle Groups and Task Fleets.

1.b) Shipbuilding
The Federation's total military ship production capability is highly dependent on Federal Funding allocated, with three Scouts produced every ten years thanks to internal production rationalizations. The nation could, however, make nearly an entire SBG (33 Ships in total, consisting of 4 Heavy Cruisers, 8 Carriers, 6 Light Cruisers, 8 Heavy Frigates, 4 Corvettes, and 3 Navigation Vessels) within a decade.

Their Destroyers range from 1.3km to 1.6km, Frigates from 1.6km to 2km, Light Cruisers from 3.6km to 4.2km, Heavy Cruisers 5km, and Grand Cruisers from 7.2km to 7.5km.

The Federation heavily favors Missiles and Strike Craft as their go-to armaments, with Macro Cannons a distinct second and Lances a distant third choice. This easily translates to likely the most well-armed and numerous strike craft fielding fleet in human hands, with the median skill of their SBG Fleet Pilots (nearly all (93%) of them clones of the "Thule" gene line) equal to that of a median Space Marine pilot. Their ships favor the survivability of the crew in body and soul, alongside the ability to restore the destroyed hulks of their ships after a battle with minimal fuss, leading to both a higher-than-median crew skill level and level of confidence in victory among their naval arm of the military.

2) Socio-Economics
The Glimmering Federation's member systems primarily engage in a mixture of state and corporate capitalism, with frontier systems next to polities willing to trade engaging in mercantile capitalism. A federally mandated minimum wage exists and is directly tied to the cost of living within legally defined boundaries, which has led to historically low housing costs and high investments in public transport by system governments.

The Glimmering Federation is a Theocratic Federation with Local, Planetary, System, Sub-Sector, and Sector Councils organizing and guiding the whole as chosen by their peers, with strong influences of the state church of the Droman Creed, which reveres the as-yet-unborn deity of the Star Child.

Social programs exist but are mainly conducted through state church organizations and Faith Orders. A minimum age of consent, legalized drug consumption, conscription, marriage, and body modification/augmentation exist. Gun ownership for non-automatic weaponry of low caliber is Federally enforced to raise the skill floor of recruits, with further gun laws dependent on system governments. While belief in the state religion is enforced, non-compliance has mainly social ramifications (dependent on system laws) as long as the non-compliance veers into agnosticism or atheism instead of Heresy or Chaos worship. Blasphemy laws are active for all federation members and are often enforced harshly.

The internal secret police organization, "Order of Cerberus," has been active for multiple centuries and has been charged with the powers and remits to hunt down Chaos Worshippers while having their powers and resources enlarged with later decrees to deal with Major Heresies such as the Order of the Nurenor Roses or the Aetherical Cog.

The Glimmering Federation's primary species are Humans (The Wise/Those Who Think They Think) and Orgyns (The Giant Thinkers), with the secondary the Kil'drabi (We Who Yet Wander) and tertiary the Yeeni (The Thinking Ones). Unlike virtually 99% of all human civilization within the Milky Way Galaxy, the Glimmering Federation is not Fanatically Xenophobic. However, they still maintain the legal and moral stance that Xenocides are necessary actions to visit upon Xeno species unable to be brought into the fold under the Star Child as either Kin (equal to Humanity), Protectorates (Vassals of the Federation paying in resources for protection) or Wayfarers/Travelers (those as of yet not brought into the fold as one of the first two). The Federation has adopted a wait-and-see stance on non-Warp Capable Xenos (classifying them as Children) unless they are wiping themselves out, have attained desirable technological advancements, or have fallen prey to Chaos.

2.a) Kil'drabi
The Kil'drabi are the first Protectorate and Kin of the Federation. Their naming schemes are typically descriptive of their hatchings, their parents' hopes, the situations they find themselves in, or their personal whims later in life (They-Who-Preach-of-Dawn, He-Who-Sings-With-Golden-Skin, Stellar-Dust-of-Labor, Speaker-Of-Engines-And-Spirits, etc.). As sequential hermaphrodites that are capable of changing their gender every ~60 Standard Terran Years, they can often struggle for a short while with the concept of male/female/non-binary genders if not exposed to such concepts early in their life, or they live within a Primary Kil'drabi station/colony.

Due to an ever-increasing integration into Federation Society and Culture, some aspects of their people and history have been lost, such as the construction of Battlecolonies, once near-religiously revered symbols of their people, now turned into near-religiously revered symbols of their future as a nation. Older generations still mourn the lack of new constructions in favor of Frigates.

2.b) Yeeni
The Yeeni are the second Protectorate and Kin of the Federation. Their naming schemes are typically flowery or poetic (Starshine, Springdawn, Bramble Darkclaw, Petal Shimmerdew, Thistle Starfog, Daring Ignition, etc.). They are a sexually dimorphic species with a natural slant towards matriarchal systems of power and society but are not genetically disposed towards such systems beyond modification via education.

They have integrated well into Federation Society and are an enthusiastic part of the nation. They generally have an approval rate of ~84% among the general non-Yeeni population, with Humans 3 percentage points higher than Kil'drabi (and Ogryns at a consistent 100% approval), and human women maintaining a higher approval rate of Yeeni by 7 percentage points than human men. Sociologists debate the reason why, with no conclusive theory being decided upon.

2.c) Lamenters Space Marines
The Glimmering Federation houses, supports, and aids the Space Marine Chapter of the Lamenters, risen from the ashes of only the Dreadnought-bound Space Marine Amadeus 'Chyron' Chyropheles. Thanks to nearly a millennium of long-standing cooperation and aid, the Lamenters feel heavily indebted to the Federation, and it is doubtful that they would follow any order from the Imperium to fight against the Glimmering Federation unless it came undeniably from the God-Emperor Himself. Some among their number would not fight even then.

3) Corruption
Chaos Corruption exists at very low levels yet is consistently hunted down. Mundane Corruption exists but is combated based on the urgency of the Federation members.

4) Propaganda
Their primary propaganda focuses on combating the ever-present threat of Chaos Corruption, increasing Societal Cohesion, improving Federation Buy-In, and Anti-Van Zandt Free Duchy War Propaganda on the docket in decreasing severity/focus.

Last edited:
Huh, who wrote that dossier? Or is it more "This is what we would write for you if the same sort of person wrote a dossier on you as you are?"

So Cerberus only focuses on religious crimes and Chaos? It sounds like we need another organization to deal with regular crime/corruption if it's beyond what the local powers can handle.

Humm…

Anyone up for a write in to slowly autobuild battlecolonies? They're useful and they can serve as a lifeboat if we lose. I'd presume it'd take an action (which means maybe not immediately) and it'd probably be fairly slow but I think it would be worthwhile.

@HeroCooky would that be valid?
Sure, once you can build Grand Cruisers (Void XIV) and have the automation tech advanced at least once again.

Edit: With that written, good night!

Voting is open
Back