Voting is open
Maybe it might be time to field a torpedo destroyer?

Assuming you're right about needing more designs to get more DP for a size class, I'd be down for making a Torpedo Destroyer and pumping out 3 or so. But I'm pretty sure we can also gain DP by increasing Heavy Industry, which we haven't been able to do for a long time due to...yknow, everything.

Assuming you're right about needing more designs to get more DP for a size class, I'd be down for making a Torpedo Destroyer and pumping out 3 or so. But I'm pretty sure we can also gain DP by increasing Heavy Industry, which we haven't been able to do for a long time due to...yknow, everything.

True. Or of course, we can just raid Void Infrastructure.

But honestly, if the situation is stable, it might be better to zero out our straining industries first.

Adhoc vote count started by Doccer on Mar 6, 2024 at 8:42 PM, finished with 87 posts and 35 votes.

Construct a Warp Ship--Saggitarius is a bad move as constructing a new frigate provides a single ship and designing gets one as well so designing the Saggitarius II will get us a frigate as well but with one additional DP.
Are we allowed to add a design to the main vote and skip the ship design that way for example:
-[] Design A New Voidship Class Saggitarius II
--[] Upgrade shields to Three Emitters

Last edited:
Stay The Course will be at 4/7 next turn and we need to put an action on it, so if we put the other two on it as well we will get +2 Medical Services and +1 Civilian Infrastructure two stats we want to raise before we integrate Corcrat.

Won't we get our Infrastructure costs released when we finish integrating on Stay the Course? Or does that only happen if we abandon them?

Ah well.

Has our high Void Infrastructure at least made sure they've got a decent deterrent in the face of raids?
You have a Void Rating of V, meaning that all your systems will be guarded by ~10 Light Scout, ~3 Heavy, and 1 Light Cruiser Monitors. (Skipping over all the logistics of building them up, 'cause, ya know, 10 year turns and all that. :V)

You have a Void Rating of V, meaning that all your systems will be guarded by ~10 Light Scout, ~3 Heavy, and 1 Light Cruiser Monitors. (Skipping over all the logistics of building them up, 'cause, ya know, 10 year turns and all that. :V)

Great! That's enough to deter scouts and opportunists at least!

I have to find the silver lining in our endless pile of Shit To Do whenever I can :( doing the right thing is hard.

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by HeroCooky on Mar 6, 2024 at 11:21 AM, finished with 97 posts and 36 votes.
Writing.
HeroCooky threw 1 100-faced dice. Reason: Psykana Total: 39
39 39

Now it's time to live in FEAR of the Psykana Roll.

Hopefully we get some nice info from Lessons Learned too. We're also doing a good job Staying the Course, so good on everyone!

Last edited:
Psykana of the Glimmering Federation - Melodies - 1
Melodies
Fire

That which destroys, yet creates.
The heat of ashen corpses and warm beds.
The light of towns and of pyres.
Protection

To guard is to know when to yield, when to fold, when to give way, for the unyielding bow before the unstoppable.
To protect is to know when to strike, when to advance, when to force yourself forwards, for the unstoppable bow before the unyielding.
The Sun II

Giver of Life.
Taker of Destiny.
Burn under their gaze.
Flourish under their love.
Live.
Die.
Be.
For all are nothing underneath the gazes of the Radiant Sovereigns,
For all are nothing beneath the glory of the Radiant Sovereigns,
For all are but specks of dust that will pass under the minds of the Radiant Sovereigns.
Humanity

I was here.
Creativity II

Does the metal ask its shaper;
"What does thou intend to make of me?"
Does the clay ask its diggers;
"Why does thou labor for me?"
Song III

Sing, Oh Child,
Of A Better World For Me!
Sing, Oh Brother,
Of A Future Bold And Brave!
Sing, Oh Sister,
Of My Charge Eternal True!
Sing, Oh Nibling,
Of My Love For Thee!
Sing, Oh Stars,
Of What May Come.

Scream To Me,
Of An Age Of Love.
Scream To Me,
Of A Dawn By Blood.
Scream To Me,
Of Scars Long Drawn.
Scream To Me,
Of Nights Spent Young.
Scream To Me,
Until The Screaming Is Done!
The Home

The one place I belong,
The one where I am free,
The one from which my strength flows,
The one of which I shall never be free.
Logic

That which remains if we stop believing in it.
Unity

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
Progress

The Arch-Enemy of Stagnation.
Compassion

Through the Ages; One Rule: Together.
Hope

A New Dawn Will Rise Upon Our Fate.
Health

The first sign of Civilization: Healing An Other.
The Void

"You are foolish if you think space is empty."
Technology

A rock on a stick is technology.
A machine that sunders reality is technology.
All operate on the same principles: One plus One equals Three.
Perception

That which is Unseen commands the greatest Curiosity.
Grounding

To direct power from one place to another without harm.
Silence

The only thing that shall remain.
Struggle

Struggle is rarely a pleasant teacher.
Death

In the end, all are equal.

Melodies - Melodies are hyper-narrow Psychic powers, designed to be as non-dangerous to use as possible. Yet, thanks to them being designed around being used by five Psykers in tandem, they consistently are more powerful than Imperial-equivalent powers.

Last edited:
They're great and I love them :)

The Sun is also--as I hoped--quite formidable. Psykana Roll also managed to avoid getting Bad Things so I'll call it a win!

A 39 isn't exactly great, subpar but useable.

It's trinary, either the result is Bad (Chaos God Dub Numbers, 66, 77, 88, 99), Good (55), or As Expected (Anything Else). Max Iconoclast in chargen means our Psykana only fucks up if the forces of Chaos directly play their hand at a critical moment, rather than just "Psychic Powers sometimes backfire just because it's made of Elemental Evil" (The standard, which is that dubs are always bad no matter what they are, meaning there's a 10% chance of Problems every time you try to use Psychic Powers)

And even then, we get a saving throw if we get Bad Dubs, and if there's a 5 at all, the Bad Stuff is reduced in severity. Still, being reduced from a 10% chance of Bad Stuff to a 4% chance of Bad Stuff with a 1% chance of Good Stuff and a 20% chance of Saving Throw if Bad Stuff happens immediately makes us some of the most stable Psykers in the setting. (Note that even Daemons don't get to ignore Bad Stuff when they're using Psychic stuff, it's just that the Bad Stuff ignores them unless they roll Perils of the Warp and roll an Instant Death effect, and Chaos Sorcerers and the like do shenanigans to make the consequences of their reckless use of power fall on less important people than themselves, top end Psykers like the Eldar mitigate the Bad Stuff chances by effectively going very slowly and using the least power possible, which removes the chance of Bad Stuff but means they're operating at a small portion of their hypothetical maximum--which can still be far beyond any human in the case of the Eldar to be fair).

Last edited:
Also, what did I tell you guys? Given how core the Sun is to our home and the place we built, of course it'd be a really powerful Melody. More importantly, it looks like it's at its best when used as a booster for stuff--I can see Fire + The Sun + Justice making for a really scary Holy Smite effect for instance that would be especially effective against Enemies of the Star Child (Which the Orks probably count as by now), and I can see The Sun + Perception + Paths + The Void + Protection allowing for superior Warp Travel as well, as the location of Stars is one of the few points of reference in the Warp that aren't the Astronomican. Still probably can't do the wild shit where a Navigator can theoretically plot a course to any location they're aware of by cross referencing the Astronomican with their current position and desired location and triangulating a course, but it'd absolutely be valid for even sector level travel, where the Stars are close enough together that you can identify their relative locations to your own.

Last edited:
217.M42 - Lack Of Vision
The fighting within Neumidia raged on, yet while the surface of Corcrat gradually turned from a war to the knife to a war that would inevitably be won within the next few years, the fight in the void had turned to a careful probing and scouting of each other, neither side willing to extend. That the Orks were cautious now rang more than a few bells of alarm, Chapter Master Chyron especially urging the Candle Keepers to commit what could be committed to a fight against the Orks and the Mega Rokk as soon as possible, even going so far as to suggest the deployment of a Choir or two in the boarding of the Mega Rokk. And it would inevitably turn into a boarding action, as the addition of three Frigates created by the Lamenters at the tail-end of the decade ensured that the Space Marines currently on the planet would be able to by-pass the shields of the Orks, denying them the most significant advantage they held over the allied fleets in Neumidia.

Once on board, the Lamenters would race to attack the shield generators, engines, power plants, and munition storages, in that order of importance, to ensure that follow-up attacks by the ships of the Neumidians and Candle Keepers would be as effective as possible before they teleported out, leaving behind nothing more than wrecked machines, dead Orks, and several beeping bombs. Then, the Mega Rokk would be easy pickings...or at least, that is what Chapter Master Chyron suggested as the leading plan for dealing with the Orks within the void, something that would entail significant risk to the fleet if they failed to take out the Drilla-Kroozer or Orks surprises showed themselves.

Yet, while the local commanders in Neumidia began to plan and argue, the military personnel within Droma had started to compile and argue about doctrine, logistics, the turns of the wars, and combat actions the Candle Keepers had seen in the last 200 years, alongside the failures both tactically and strategically made. The most obvious and resolved quickly was the glaring lack of long-distance and short-distance artillery within all Units of the Candle Keepers. Obvious when looked at it in the face of planets like Khara and Corcrat, yet a mistake that was easily made by people who had primarily lived aboard a space station where space was not unlimited and on an Ocean World where artillery were ships and not something wheeled about or dragged by soldiers. Some production orders, a swift military reorganization, and training for the units not currently deployed later, and the Candle Keepers' forces were much more deadly.

What took far longer than even the creation of military academies to formalize the teachings of past and current mistakes and excellent ideas were the discussions surrounding the navy and ship procurement. Thus far, ships were built as needed (something which would continue being the Modus Operandi for a long, long, long time) and designed when guns in the void were required now or for a specific task. Take, for example, the Aries. Fast at 7Gs, with a Macro-Cannon and Lance Turret, alongside better armor and armored lifepods, these ships were cheap enough to be churned out in twos every decade and effective enough to threaten the enemy...yet they were not deadly enough to act as more than a distraction to the enemy as heavier ships did the heavy lifting of the fight. Perhaps that is okay, perhaps not, but the fact remains that the Aries is the first design of the Candle Keepers and thus suffers from all the pitfalls and shortcuts taken that such classes often possess. A new version, or a replacement class, is direly needed.

The Sagittarius, too, suffers from being the first of its archetype, as the light missile batteries equipped with missile swarms are potent, but they are potent in close range, the exact opposite range in which an artillery ship should be firing. Rip those out and replace them with hangars or, better yet, Lances, as the vessel is already being supplied with improved lenses, and it will be far better equipped to do its job. On the other hand, the Taurus is a fine ship. It does what it needs to do and nothing more. No fancy tricks, just ferrying troops and being able to aid them with ortillery and ASSF support.

'Overall, it seems that, though the Taurus was spot-on in its role and focus, there was an overall lack of vision and concentration when making these classes,' as one engineer would describe the Aries and Sagittarius shortly before being clocked in the head by a thrown can of water, an enraged shipbuilder demanding that they do better then.

And while things turned into a brawl with a screaming match attached, the end of it resulted in people generally accepting that a mission statement was required for the navy, a doctrine under which it would operate, one cognizant of their immediate, medium, and long-term goals within the sector, as well as the various foes they could expect and not expect to find and fight, so that the ships being built and designed would be created not by use-cases appearing, but by roles being filled out and expanded as needed.

The Candle Keepers already had a Skirmisher, a Troop Transport, and an Artillery Ship, but what about Scouts? Heavy Brawlers? Boarding Craft? Would there be a focus on Ships of the Lines or on hangars? Survival, or Killing Potential?

What was the fleet being built?
[] Candle Keeper Fleet Doctrine of 217.M42

(What is your focus when building ships, what are you willing to sacrifice and which things will you not compromise on? What will Candle Keeper Fleets be expected to actually do once your current crisis is over? Expansion? Exploration? Defense? Extermination?
Warning! Choosing a focus will give you DP Discounts on weapons/equipment/sections of a ship, but also apply fines to its opposites.)
-[] We are fine as is.
(Do not engage with any doctrine beyond what is needed. No DP changes.)

AN: No dig from me by the way. Just what I think would be the most obvious in-universe detraction-points for the ships made.

Definitely makes sense.

It's probably a good idea to switch the Sagittarius into a all-Lance configuration and use it purely as a artillery ship. And design a heavy Brawler for smashing down shields.

And the Aries needs more guns.

Voting is open
Back