Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Which scene are you referring to? Because if it's the one after BINO is dealt with I didn't feel that any disconnect, your mileage may vary of course
Pre-Cai scene, since the question was why Ling Qi decided to join up. Specifically, I was referring to the scene where Cai Renxiang briefly describes her first meeting with her mother, when she got 'fitted' for her dress. Her whole "I'm a monster" speech and the trembling and so on. Players were grateful to see it, but it didn't make in-universe sense for her to open up like that, for a variety of reasons. It wasn't a fair, or accurate, representation of her character, basically.

Pre-Cai scene, since the question was why Ling Qi decided to join up. Specifically, I was referring to the scene where Cai Renxiang briefly describes her first meeting with her mother, when she got 'fitted' for her dress. Her whole "I'm a monster" speech and the trembling and so on. Players were grateful to see it, but it didn't make in-universe sense for her to open up like that, for a variety of reasons. It wasn't a fair, or accurate, representation of her character, basically.
Ah, yes that was rather sudden, though trying to flesh CRX out without deliberately framing the narrative such that it favors her before the players chose which path they wanted was part of the difficulties there, thankfully as you said, rr should help smooth that over

She's expressed a lot of disdain for those who let that sort of environment form and a lot of her motivation is about being better. Not being the sort of person who takes a blanket, in a political cast of power. I don't have these specific moments indexed but hey I'm not writing a peer-reviewed essay here

Wanting to personally be better is not wanting to change the world. The latter is only coming now, but it wasn't on the plate then.

She's expressed a lot of disdain for those who let that sort of environment form and a lot of her motivation is about being better. Not being the sort of person who takes a blanket, in a political cast of power. I don't have these specific moments indexed but hey I'm not writing a peer-reviewed essay here
It's kind of amusing that Cai Shenhua leaned on the sect in order to foster a deliberately lawless environment in the Outer Sect.

Which leaves just two options, being the personal retainer to Cai or pursuing the Sect Life. The sect life would have given us generally more freedom but, as mentioned previously, we had rejected the idea of absolute freedom. So the question then becomes which option is better positioned to give us what we want. What Ling Qi wants generally is to have the ability to nurture her family and enjoy her friendships.

Another thing to note is that we just weren't given much information about the Inner Sect. We didn't know if being Jiao's personal Disciple would mean we had to go heavy on formations, catch up on crafting skills, or become a spy. Jiao and Xin couldn't tell us any of those things or even do anything close to a hard sell, because of the rules the nobility forces on the Sect(Essentially right of first refusal for people like us)

I think that if Jiao and Cai were competing evenly, Jiao would have won.

Edit: To be completely honest, I totally forgot about the fifth option which was marrying Gui Tai.

Who?

All joking aside, I could see Gu vs. Sect being competitive in the absence of the Cai route, if the thread had the same cultural background on teenage betrothals.

Actually, nevermind. The Thread's Western* ideas on promising to marry each other before puberty is over do a kinda good job of emulating Qi's intimacy issues.

*Presumably, mostly, the dang thing is in English after all.

Cai Shenhua kind of put her on the spot by asking the question, after all, and Ling might have been more concerned with giving an answer that suited her boss than giving a full account of her thoughts.
This would be incorrect. Shenhua's sheer cultivation and social skill gap means that every word had to be as intended, if not necessarily heartfelt, it had to be authentic to Ling Qi.

She could shift emphasis, but Ling Qi had to be as honest as she could be without insult.
Don't forget sixiang was formed at the party from us. They wouldnt exist without us and therefore technically we are their creator/mother figure even if they often take the role of older sibling towards us.
Not quite. The core mote which would become Sixiang was formed by Ling Qi in her childhood, then by the whims of the Moon, was re-instanced at the party.

Sixiang is literally Ling Qi's brainchild.
Actually, nevermind. The Thread's Western* ideas on promising to marry each other before puberty is over do a kinda good job of emulating Qi's intimacy issues.

*Presumably, mostly, the dang thing is in English after all.
Not Western. Modern.
East, West or anything in the middle with a feudal structure has early betrothals as its core to alliance negotiations.

Of course, sometimes people do things that are out of character, that you'd never in a million years think they would do. If you catch them in just the right moment, if the wind is blowing the right way, if their internal balance of conflicting desires and drives reaches a strange equilibrium at just the right moment... sometimes people can be very surprising.

Admittedly, getting across in fiction that this is what has occurred can be difficult.

Of course, sometimes people do things that are out of character, that you'd never in a million years think they would do. If you catch them in just the right moment, if the wind is blowing the right way, if their internal balance of conflicting desires and drives reaches a strange equilibrium at just the right moment... sometimes people can be very surprising.

Admittedly, getting across in fiction that this is what has occurred can be difficult.
Sure, but there really wasn't much reason for it to happen where and when it did. The factors just weren't there. This is more or less a WoG acknowledged issue so...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This would be incorrect. Shenhua's sheer cultivation and social skill gap means that every word had to be as intended, if not necessarily heartfelt, it had to be authentic to Ling Qi.

She could shift emphasis, but Ling Qi had to be as honest as she could be without insult.

I'll happily admit that particular sequence isn't fresh in my memory, but looking back at it I don't get the impression Ling was overtly compelled to answer the question in a specific way. If she was physically incapable of saying anything but the whole and unvarnished truth, I would have expected her internal narration to reflect that fact. She's kind of petrified until Six gives her a little nudge and struggles to articulate exactly why she's on Team Cai, but that seems pretty unexceptional to me given the situation she was in.

I'll happily admit that particular sequence isn't fresh in my memory, but looking back at it I don't get the impression Ling was overtly compelled to answer the question in a specific way. If she was physically incapable of saying anything but the whole and unvarnished truth, I would have expected her internal narration to reflect that fact. She's kind of petrified until Six gives her a little nudge and struggles to articulate exactly why she's on Team Cai, but that seems pretty unexceptional to me given the situation she was in.
It is kind of core to HOW the final answer was arrived at. People had different views on why Ling Qi joined. The primary factors were then, established after the answer, to be because Ling Qi found herself unlikely to be in direct conflict with Renxiang's stated ideals and thus was free to accept the wealth and status that came with the job.

Which if you intersect it with our Insights at the time, she couldn't lie to herself.
Ultimately, Ling Qi would not have considered joining a principled liege she had significant personal moral/ethical differences with, simply because her internalized Way declares that this is just a fancy way of ruining your life.

HOWEVER, Ling Qi would not be very enthusiastic about signing up with no material benefit either. She wants and needs resources for herself and her family, and she needed them a year ago.

Last edited:
I wonder if Hanyi will want to develop her own divination techniques if she keeps advancing her curiosity and exploring traits. I have no idea what a darkness/cold divination technique would look like, but it would be a great way for Hanyi to distract herself when she is bored but can't go anywhere.

Shenhua doesn't have an aura that compels people to tell the truth*, but as a White she utterly outclasses a brand new Green. So if Ling didn't tell the truth about why she signed up with CRX, Shenhua would know that her daughter's 'trusted' retainer is lying about why she wanted to be a retainer. That's probably not a good thing for Ling's future health and well being.

*we think

It is kind of core to HOW the final answer was arrived at. People had different views on why Ling Qi joined. The primary factors were then, established after the answer, to be because Ling Qi found herself unlikely to be in direct conflict with Renxiang's stated ideals and thus was free to accept the wealth and status that came with the job.

Which if you intersect it with our Insights at the time, she couldn't lie to herself.
Ultimately, Ling Qi would not have considered joining a principled liege she had significant personal moral/ethical differences with, simply because her internalized Way declares that this is just a fancy way of ruining your life.

HOWEVER, Ling Qi would not be very enthusiastic about signing up with no material benefit either. She wants and needs resources for herself and her family, and she needed them a year ago.

I don't understand what any of this has got to do with Cai Shenhua's supposed truthiness field

Shenhua doesn't have an aura that compels people to tell the truth*, but as a White she utterly outclasses a brand new Green. So if Ling didn't tell the truth about why she signed up with CRX, Shenhua would know that her daughter's 'trusted' retainer is lying about why she wanted to be a retainer. That's probably not a good thing for Ling's future health and well being.

*we think

Well, yes, I'm obviously not suggesting that Ling was being outright dishonest, or that C S would have failed to notice if she was. I do think it's arguable that, in trying to reduce all the various factors that influenced her decision down to a pithy two-sentence response, Ling might have glossed over some contributing ideas that she would have struggled to articulate in any case.

Well, yes, I'm obviously not suggesting that Ling was being outright dishonest, or that C S would have failed to notice if she was. I do think it's arguable that, in trying to reduce all the various factors that influenced her decision down to a pithy two-sentence response, Ling might have glossed over some contributing ideas that she would have struggled to articulate in any case.
It would be more complex than the two sentences, but the answer she gave would have had to have been the primary reasons. Leaving out something more important to Ling Qi's decision than something she didn't leave out (either accidentally or on purpose) would have been trying to mislead CS, which is a major faux pas that wouldn't fit with the vague approval LQ got.

WoG Ling Qi motivations since it seems relevant and I spent way too long trying to find them.
To address motivation issues. Choosing to take the cai route comes from a few points in Ling Qi's character.

On the shallowest level, there is Ling Qi's desire for power, or more specifically, her desire to be able to control her own circumstances. There is no path that allows her to do that entirely... but Cai's is the one the that puts the fewest people in a position to order her around.

On the second level, there is her budding desire for a home. The Sect has been her first home, and could certainly grow to be a true one... but Cai is the fastest route to receiving a place that is hers and hers alone(mostly, don't sweat the legal details of vassalship, she's not thinking about those.)

On the third, it will Ling Qi deciding to engage with her low level desire for something higher than her own selfishness, she might not believe in Cai's ideals, but she is willing to give them a shot and see if they can survive reality.

Are plenty of those somewhat shortsighted and not entirely logical? Yes, because Ling Qi is still fifteen.
Ling Qi's reasons for staying inthe Sect would be...

1) This is her first ever home. the first place where she has found a degree of comfort and people she cares about. She wants to cultivate that.
2) She feels that this is the best place to continue her growth, free from other distractions.
3) The desire to learn more of the world before she binds herself hard to any particular place.
4) A sense of duty, sticking with the ones who gave her real opportunities for the first time, however small.

You know what would be interesting? To see what composition Yu Nuan comes up with for this challenge. Last time she did a piece about an unchanging cycle and the pointlessness of trying to influence the cycle. So, will she try something similar in regards to Hanyi?

I don't think so. I think that Yu Nuan might pose the question of whether refusing to embrace an end is worth the pain and heartbreak that come from such a refusal. Yu Nuan seemed pretty nihilistic in the last composition she did, and I'm thinking that trend will continue.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how this all turns out, and whether Yu Nuan has changed in the months since we've last interacted with her.

rap god Vs pop star wooo

And songs IRL/hiphop with rap and pop duet?

All I can hear in my head is Ghetto Supastar..... I'm so old....

Last edited:
Back