Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
It's even worse than her mom puppetting, given that Yrs used words like 'programming' and 'mannequin' when talking about the 'Dad'.
Not really.

If "he" is a construct that is much better than having a human locked inside a body unable to communicate with the outside world.

We don't get all up in arms when Su Ling creates her little necromantic robots, there isn't much difference here to be honest.

@Varder I said the same thing to Asael and I'll say the same thing to you

Quit rating my serious posts funny just because you can't be bothered to refute anything I say.

Not really.

If "he" is a construct that is much better than having a human locked inside a body unable to communicate with the outside world.

We don't get all up in arms when Su Ling creates her little necromantic robots, there isn't much difference here to be honest.
Though her instincts screamed at her not to do it, Ling Qi could not help but follow the young spirits gaze. Though her eyes saw a handsome man with ice pale skin and a bookish air smiling softly at his daughter, her other senses saw beneath the facade. It was a hideous mannequin of ice, blood and bone. A single terrified eye stared out at her from an iced over socket, pleading for escape and release. Ling Qi shuddered, her stomach churning as she felt the reality of the… thing that Zeqing called her husband, the bones of it were made wholly of the spirit's power, but there were enough pieces, crudely stitched into its frame that she could feel the shape of the man it had been.

The worst of it was, there was still a spark of life and awareness in those broken fragments of a soul.

Not really.

We were talking about whether Hanyi's really talking to her dad or is it just her mom pupetting... but as far as we can tell it's neither. Just a program forcing out answers, though one made by the mother. It is also the remnant of a human locked inside a body and forever in pain, though.

Staff Notice: Do not maliciously rate other users' posts.
@Varder I said the same thing to Asael and I'll say the same thing to you

Quit rating my serious posts funny just because you can't be bothered to refute anything I say.

But I do find it funny how you've been hovering over this thread, arguing for your opinion with anyone who dares disagree.

Even now, after the vote, after your vote won, you still make posts about it. Jumping down anyone who talks about it in the way you don't like, for no other reason but to state your opinion. Again.

That's what I find funny. So I rate it so.

You mean the spark of life and awareness? I don't see how a tiny spark is somehow more capable of suffering than an entire human mind, or why there wouldn't be at least some measure of life and awareness in Su Lings constructs given their animation and demonstrable (if limited to largely animal level) intelligence.

I know, though admittedly my point ended up very mixed, sorry about that.

There were two connected points I was trying to make.
1. Whether he is puppeted to answer or a construct answering by way of internal design has little meaning for the end user (Hanyi) unless they can tell the difference.

2. Given that it is in my view that a construct including a spark if life and awareness that suffers is preferable to an entire human mind going mad from isolation.

But I do find it funny how you've been hovering over this thread, arguing for your opinion with anyone who dares disagree.

Even now, after the vote, after your vote won, you still make posts about it. Jumping down anyone who talks about it in the way you don't like, for no other reason but to state your opinion. Again.

That's what I find funny. So I rate it so.

It's against the rules and moreover rude. Please don't.

So, I'm bored and I want to talk about the potential of having Zhengui and Hanyi helping us in fights and duels, and what respective roles they may have.

Zhengui
Zhengui is a special Xuanwu, and even in yellow, he has extremely potent defensive capabilities as well as decent healing, AoE's, and offensive tools. However, we learned from Xuan Shi and our own research that Xuanwu have potent environment control abilities. These environmental control abilities are already somewhat manifesting themselves with Zhengui's ability to spontaneously create and manipulate roots as well as his ability to use plant life in order to increase his senses.

With Zhengui's ascension into the green realm, I foresee that these abilities will increase dramatically. But... this has already been discussed pretty much ad nauseum. So I'm going to move on to what Hanyi could possibly be about and then move on to how they could synergize with each other.

Hanyi
We know, regretably, less about Hanyi's type of spirit than we do about xuanwu. It's theorized that she is a Yukinko, or basically a child that sometimes accompanies a Yuki-onna (which is the type of spirit that Zeqing is theorized to be).

However, we do know two techniques that Zeqing had which she might have been teaching Hanyi, the "Lonely Winter Maiden" and the "Frozen Soul Serenade." Given that there were a couple of scenes last thread which seemed to depict Hanyi's training which indicated that she was competing with us to see who could be better at the "Frozen Soul Serenade" it would stand to reason that Zeqing was teaching Hanyi at least that song.

But now it's time to enter prediction and supposition! If Hanyi was to grow to be similar to Zeqing in ability, then there are a couple of things we can predict. First off, we can predict that Hanyi will be able to create and generate a blizzard, likely imposing penalties to people caught in it. Furthermore, it is possible that Hanyi could develop the ability that Zeqing showed during our first tribulation where she froze our ability to use qi. Which could express itself as increasing the qi costs of using techs? I don't know for sure. Additionally, it is likely that Hanyi can use LWM and FSS.

This would make her more of a DPS / Crowd Control individual. Someone who locks down an opponent and then kills them while they are locked down. It is highly unlikely that she will be as tanky as Zhengui, but it exchange she will likely have better offensive capabilities with some different forms of Crowd Control.

Assemble!
Should we be able to bind Hanyi, which is not guaranteed, then we will have two spirits who could be powerful combatants (assuming Hanyi also reaches the green realm). The problem, then, is how they would work together. Having a spirit that uses fire for his area of effects and a spirit that uses cold/winter could make it difficult for both of them to work in tandem.

However, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. Hanyi might be able to drag people over to where Zhengui is located and then Zhengui would be able to better deal with the opponent, or provide a solid defensive line that Hanyi can retreat behind. Zhengui's size will make a very large piece of cover for Hanyi to dance around while she batters her chosen opponent with frigid qi.

All in all, I expect Hanyi to dish out the damage and prehaps lure people into combat against her and Zhengui, while Zhengui provides the defensive abilities and environemental control to assist in dealing with the opponent's damage.

Also, if we want to stick to seasonal themes, Hanyi could represent Winter and the biting chill while Zhengui can represent the growth and destruction inherent in summer (droughts and fires for destruction with flourishing forests for growth).

Miscellaneous
When researching Yuki-onna and Yukinko I found an interesting tidbit on Wikipedia about Yukinko. That there are legends which say if someone can withstand the ever increasing weight of a Yukinko, they will be greated great strength. Given our choice of giving Hanyi a piggy-back ride, it seems that we are in for an interesting time.

So, I'm bored and I want to talk about the potential of having Zhengui and Hanyi helping us in fights and duels, and what respective roles they may have.

Zhengui
Zhengui is a special Xuanwu, and even in yellow, he has extremely potent defensive capabilities as well as decent healing, AoE's, and offensive tools. However, we learned from Xuan Shi and our own research that Xuanwu have potent environment control abilities. These environmental control abilities are already somewhat manifesting themselves with Zhengui's ability to spontaneously create and manipulate roots as well as his ability to use plant life in order to increase his senses.

With Zhengui's ascension into the green realm, I foresee that these abilities will increase dramatically. But... this has already been discussed pretty much ad nauseum. So I'm going to move on to what Hanyi could possibly be about and then move on to how they could synergize with each other.

Hanyi
We know, regretably, less about Hanyi's type of spirit than we do about xuanwu. It's theorized that she is a Yukinko, or basically a child that sometimes accompanies a Yuki-onna (which is the type of spirit that Zeqing is theorized to be).

However, we do know two techniques that Zeqing had which she might have been teaching Hanyi, the "Lonely Winter Maiden" and the "Frozen Soul Serenade." Given that there were a couple of scenes last thread which seemed to depict Hanyi's training which indicated that she was competing with us to see who could be better at the "Frozen Soul Serenade" it would stand to reason that Zeqing was teaching Hanyi at least that song.

But now it's time to enter prediction and supposition! If Hanyi was to grow to be similar to Zeqing in ability, then there are a couple of things we can predict. First off, we can predict that Hanyi will be able to create and generate a blizzard, likely imposing penalties to people caught in it. Furthermore, it is possible that Hanyi could develop the ability that Zeqing showed during our first tribulation where she froze our ability to use qi. Which could express itself as increasing the qi costs of using techs? I don't know for sure. Additionally, it is likely that Hanyi can use LWM and FSS.

This would make her more of a DPS / Crowd Control individual. Someone who locks down an opponent and then kills them while they are locked down. It is highly unlikely that she will be as tanky as Zhengui, but it exchange she will likely have better offensive capabilities with some different forms of Crowd Control.

Assemble!
Should we be able to bind Hanyi, which is not guaranteed, then we will have two spirits who could be powerful combatants (assuming Hanyi also reaches the green realm). The problem, then, is how they would work together. Having a spirit that uses fire for his area of effects and a spirit that uses cold/winter could make it difficult for both of them to work in tandem.

However, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. Hanyi might be able to drag people over to where Zhengui is located and then Zhengui would be able to better deal with the opponent, or provide a solid defensive line that Hanyi can retreat behind. Zhengui's size will make a very large piece of cover for Hanyi to dance around while she batters her chosen opponent with frigid qi.

All in all, I expect Hanyi to dish out the damage and prehaps lure people into combat against her and Zhengui, while Zhengui provides the defensive abilities and environemental control to assist in dealing with the opponent's damage.

Also, if we want to stick to seasonal themes, Hanyi could represent Winter and the biting chill while Zhengui can represent the growth and destruction inherent in summer (droughts and fires for destruction with flourishing forests for growth).

Miscellaneous
When researching Yuki-onna and Yukinko I found an interesting tidbit on Wikipedia about Yukinko. That there are legends which say if someone can withstand the ever increasing weight of a Yukinko, they will be greated great strength. Given our choice of giving Hanyi a piggy-back ride, it seems that we are in for an interesting time.

I wouldn't use her as a crowd control type. This being because we are already focused on it.

Moreover if our ennemies can be caught by her spiritual attacks, they can be caught by ours, which would be significantly better (as we will have an higher cultivation level than her for a long time most likely). And if we can debuff them, we have already won that fight.

As such I would much prefer for her to focus on her DPS skills and on her FSS like techs.

OK guys, I'm mad

its taking way too long to bond

with our best rival

river dragon dude

got to collect them all

cmon guys, can't leave a dude hangin like dat

inb4 sparky boi snags him, dumb protag swag

Miscellaneous
Well, carrying kids around builds strength.

Mostly spiritual strength.

OK guys, I'm mad

with our best rival

river dragon dude

got to collect them all

Wouldnt even be able to bind him regardless. We already have 2 green spirits (zhengui and six) and hanyi is yellow, but presumably will become green soonish after all this is over and she grows up a bit.

That's already decently high/qi cost etc

Not only that, dragon mom would be very against a human woman binding her son.

great update, omg I love this quest.

It's also funny how people keep falling into the trap of thinking that all Qi's problems will be solved if she just gets to this one place or does this one thing , but just like in real life, it's never that simple.

is it even possible to bond with Hanyi? from what we know of her history, she is like Su Ling right? half-and-half?

OK guys, I'm mad

with our best rival

river dragon dude

got to collect them all

We didn't take any of the social actions with the kid. Any social link was dead on arrival. Ling Qi bullied him, used him for his vale, and didn't bother to invest any effort in maintaining ties whatsoever.

is it even possible to bond with Hanyi? from what we know of her history, she is like Su Ling right? half-and-half?
The main barrier towards binding her at the moment is social dynamics, which I'll leave to Ling Qi because she understands them better than we do here. A lot depends on how long this takes Zeqing, and what she's like when she's finished, but it really could just be a temporary measure for now. A sort of test run for later, though I pretty much doubt it.

Of course, even if we've got Hanyi for keeps, we do not need to rush into a binding. As a Yellow realm spirit, she's not going to be a significant asset in fights or contest for a while yet. That leaves binding bonuses, but eh. I've got a suspicion @yrsillar will use this tribulation and where it's taking place to finally carve a Darkness cultivation bonus into Ling Qi's metaphorical butt.

It makes sense to me: the entire environment is a nexus of Darkness/Cold/Music/Endings that exists as an extension of a peak Cyan spirit in the midst of intense internal turmoil and potentially breaking through, the action on Ling Qi's part mirrors in some ways her own childhood abandonment of home and mother, Zeqing's like a surrogate mother to Ling Qi in some ways, and their mutual understanding of Music and the nature of the environment seem likely for Ling Qi to get assaulted with the emotions behind Zeqing's transformation. Re-enacting her childhood escape while simultaneously being assaulted by the feelings of the mother? When those feelings can literally assault her? That's a tribulation, and a Darkness one at that.

Of course, even if we've got Hanyi for keeps, we do not need to rush into a binding. As a Yellow realm spirit, she's not going to be a significant asset in fights or contest for a while yet. That leaves binding bonuses, but eh. I've got a suspicion @yrsillar will use this tribulation and where it's taking place to finally carve a Darkness cultivation bonus into Ling Qi's metaphorical butt.
TBF we don't need to actually use her in a fight if we bind her, and it does mean we can more easily keep her around when we go about our business.

And on that note I'm not sure if we can keep her around without binding her. I don't know what Sect policy is on unbound spirits, but I imagine it's stricter than the Outer (where Sixiang was allowed to wander).

Hey doods, just giving a status update. This one is probably going to take a little bit, both because its a fairly difficult piece and because current events haven't been conducive to useful creative thought processes. Still latest I expect to be is monday. Thanks for your patience.

Hey doods, just giving a status update. This one is probably going to take a little bit, both because its a fairly difficult piece and because current events haven't been conducive to useful creative thought processes. Still latest I expect to be is monday. Thanks for your patience.
Thanks for the update. I hope everything turns out alright.

but isn't her father a human? or am i missing something?
The species of an offspring isn't purely determined by the species of its parents - the way the child is brought to life also matters.
Ling Qi's eyes shifted to Hanyi, and she thought of what she knew of history…"She isn't that old is she?"

"I kept her within me for the longest time. I was bitter, yet not willing to destroy a part of myself.
In this case, Zeqing didn't want to hive birth to Hanyi for a long time, which is not a normal thing for humans. This biased Hanyi towards the Spirit side of her heritage.

Back